ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Super proud sponsors of Alex Revell IDST

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: A big thank you by ChudsToday 20:33Today at 20:33:00view thread

Oldest article: Joel Byrom Podcast by nr200120/12/2020 08:03Sun Dec 20 08:03:07 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: FA cup snippet by Deltic 2110/1 18:29Sun Jan 10 18:29:26 2021view thread

Match Thread.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:07Sat Jan 9 15:07:40 2021

Views: 1984

Thought Cuthbert was finished there.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Match Thread.

By Junction 79/1 21:58Sat Jan 9 21:58:33 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 918

Thought today’s performance was one of the better ones over the last few seasons tbh ..
If we can play like that in League 2 even though we lost then we have a chance maybe !

The new players looked good and was impressed by Norris & Lines my only criticism is Norris & Aitchison should have started, Newton isn’t the player he once was and it showed again today.

Games in hand on the teams around us we need to start getting some points in the bag ...

Ps Could hear great coaching from our bench I’m taking it that was Wilkins positive and encouraging the players, he’s going to be the next Boro manager !!

6 people like this 6 people

By AgentEves9/1 22:45Sat Jan 9 22:45:50 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 849

"Newton isn’t the player he once was"

At this point, Newton is precariously close to the Ben Kennedy category. People keep saying he's not the player he once was. But I keep wondering... what player was that, exactly? I've always remembered him being a player who works hard, is strong, but essentially just runs around with his head down. Most of his goals came from brute force, and he's never exactly looked like a particularly technically skilled player. No different than what we see now.

I don't think he's necessarily gotten worse, because I'm just not entirely sure he was ever that good to begin with. Maybe we just weren't as picky back then because we weren't so shit? He's clearly back to being fit, and has had enough of a run in the side, so it's difficult to argue that his injury has hindered him.

As I've said elsewhere, he wins more than his fair share of headers and flick-ons, but his in-possession play is poor more often than it is good. His decision making is also very poor. He'd make a fantastic Conference striker, but I think that's about his limit, unless his mental and technical attributes improve.

2 people like this 2 people

By Tucks11/1 13:06Mon Jan 11 13:06:19 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 457

He had end product when he first joined us. That’s the difference. It doesn’t matter how the goals come, what matters is that they come. As a striker you generally live or die by your goals. I don’t think he has been the same player since his first major injury break. He did what he does now, but he did it to a better standard when he first joined us.

Kennedy burst on to the scene, he made an impact and his youthful confidence carried him through. Somewhere along the line that confidence seemed to morph in to arrogance and he seemingly started to believe his own hype. He did have injuries too to be fair on him.

Perhaps Newton and Kennedy are similarly overrated in some people’s perceptions but Newton has nowhere near the same number of people queuing up to rim him as Kennedy did.

By jayess11/1 16:59Mon Jan 11 16:59:13 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 398

Remember he was player of the season that first year and scored some cracking goals, though he often had most impact when coming on as a sub against (possibly) tiring defenders. Form is so often about confidence, the more so with strikers.
Two contrasting examples: if things don't go right for Newton he tends to over compensate by doing everything/trying too hard/looking for the magic run on goal. List, on the other hand, tends to disappear. Occasionally you catch a glimpse of the player he could be, then it's gone again.
Of the two, I would sooner have the former. Newton may not be quite the player we thought he was, but he is better than the one we are seeing now. A goal or two would make the world of difference.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 22:52Sat Jan 9 22:52:58 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 881

9 goals in three seasons (yes I know he was injured for some of it)

Hardly a player I’d have any interest in keeping at the club.

By AgentEves9/1 23:01Sat Jan 9 23:01:27 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 820

Even if you take out the season he was injured, 9 goals in 2 seasons is pretty poor. 9 goals in one season is hardly prolific, either.

By Freemo10/1 11:41Sun Jan 10 11:41:48 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 694

I need to see what Norris is like, but I would suggest that the aimless running around Newton does is the kind of thing that coaches actually value much more than we do watching the game as fans, for the pressure it puts on the opposition.

If his replacement doesn't put in that work then it might be badly missed.

By AgentEves10/1 16:49Sun Jan 10 16:49:45 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 604

But its no good having someone winning the ball back - either directly or indirectly - if they're going to give the ball away the majority of the time they get it. I'd rather someone who wins the ball back less but retains it more.

By Rotterdamboro10/1 12:19Sun Jan 10 12:19:17 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 681

Yes. It’s worked that well that we have scored the second lowest amount of goals in League 2. Looks like we’re on to a winner that only Southend know about

By Freemo10/1 12:26Sun Jan 10 12:26:22 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 660

Lesson from the last 18 months: things can always get worse.

By Owen B10/1 11:48Sun Jan 10 11:48:46 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 655

I think the attribute of being able to relentlessly pressurise the keeper and defenders is being underrated by some and overrated by others.

Edit: See also: Chris Beardsley

Edited by Owen B at 11:50:30 on 10th January 2021

By Chet Manley (Paulio)10/1 11:51Sun Jan 10 11:51:07 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 661

Depends if they’re effective at it.

Beardo was good at what he did. Others just run around aimlessly and it achieves nothing.

By Owen B10/1 11:57Sun Jan 10 11:57:16 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 682

Yes, was talking in general terms.

I was fairly surprised we gave Newton a contract extension, as doesn't seem to have done much to warrant it, certainly post-injury.

By SFCfox10/1 14:20Sun Jan 10 14:20:39 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 721

He'll buy into Revs mantra and i can imagine the ball was definitely in our court when it came to contract negotiations.

He's fustrating at times but not as bad as people are making out.

By AgentEves10/1 16:52Sun Jan 10 16:52:08 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 572

Remind me of the last time he did something that impressed you that didn't involve running or winning headers.

By Dave (daveadkins)10/1 18:09Sun Jan 10 18:09:05 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 553

Makes a cracking cup of tea.

By SFCfox10/1 17:17Sun Jan 10 17:17:59 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 573

His goal against Port Vale was pretty good.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)9/1 16:56Sat Jan 9 16:56:46 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1333

Really good performance to be fair, but can we please get a proper defensive coach in? Balls into the box costing us yet again.

Just our luck the Wildin puts in a couple good performances that Coker goes to absolute shit.

By Boromatt9/1 19:00Sat Jan 9 19:00:12 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1028

I thought the players were great. Another really positive performance and should’ve been level in that today! What’s impressive is we’ve kept playing the same way for a few games.

I really liked the look of both Norris and Lines. Lines has quality on the ball and I didn’t expect him to be that tall either. Norris looks very good. Physical, holds the ball up really well and will score goals. Gutted for him missing the penalty.

Overall, really positive. With Grimsby losing, we’re now holding 3 games in hand and a real chance of staying up. Let’s focus on the league and try to climb this table!

By Freemo9/1 20:10Sat Jan 9 20:10:41 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 953

I think tbf that we controlled a lot of the game because Swansea had it well in hand and weren't overly bothered. But it was a good performance and with better finishing we might've surprised them.

By AgentEves9/1 22:56Sat Jan 9 22:56:34 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 801

I'm inclined to agree. I kept thinking - when the game was 1-0 - that even if we nicked an equaliser, they had enough quality to step it up and score another. I think they did just enough to see them through to the next round, but seemingly had plenty in the tank.

A good performance from us. Our ball retention was decent enough and we came close to scoring a few times. Ultimately the gap in quality was quite evident, though, and I don't know how much we were ever really in the tie.

Good performances from Lines, Read, Smith and Vancooten. Cuthbert was solid, as usual, and Wildin's energy helped with our attacking, even if the majority of his passes were a bit wayward. A quiet game for Pett, and I wasn't surprised to see him subbed. I lost my stream at around 70 minutes, so missed most of Norris' performance.

Coker was abysmal and at fault for both goals. I think with the form we seem to have hit, and the additions we have made, Coker is looking like a real weak link. A lot of goals from crosses to the back post, which have commonly been attributed to Wildin not getting close enough to his man, when realistically, Coker was equally to blame for not properly tracking/marking the runner. If we can find a replacement left back in this transfer window, I think we look pretty solid (albeit not particularly deep) to have a respectable second half of the season.

Not to get too ahead of ourselves, but we are only 10 pts behind Walsall (11th) with two games in hand. If we manage to win those, I think we'd be sitting pretty nicely. I'm finally - after two seasons of utter dross - enjoying watching us again. Getting up at 6:45 to watch the games doesn't feel like a chore at the moment, which is nice! The loss today was disappointing, but the new style of play and the influence that Wilkins is having is really positive. We've gone from wondering where on earth our next win is coming from to feeling like we could genuinely make moves up the table.

What a difference a month makes.

By Bumble11/1 14:23Mon Jan 11 14:23:53 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 405

Agree with most of what your saying
Coker seems to be taking a bashing on here
I actually think Cuthbert could or should have done a bit better for both goals as well
Scotty obviously can do no wrong which is a little fortunate Coker is playing

By Owen B9/1 16:54Sat Jan 9 16:54:48 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1294

Decent performance on the whole. Another day we'd have taken that one to extra time.

7 people like this 7 people

By RockyBottom9/1 16:55Sat Jan 9 16:55:56 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1266

Pretty pleased with that overall. So much better these past few weeks.

By Owen B9/1 16:56Sat Jan 9 16:56:39 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1303

Yep, agreed. Hopefully we'll be pulling ourselves up towards mid table over the next few weeks and months.

By Themessiah9/1 16:54Sat Jan 9 16:54:28 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1288

Decent performance but quality told in the end

Shame really..

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 16:53Sat Jan 9 16:53:16 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1360

Not a bad performance. Unfortunately a couple of our players let the side down. Hope the gaffer "Alex Revell" learns from this.

Re: Shame really..

By Borobubbles9/1 18:50Sat Jan 9 18:50:51 2021In response to Shame really..Top of thread

Views: 1033

I agree with that, apart for the 2 goals I thought we was the better side. Take the performance of today we can climb the league.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)9/1 16:51Sat Jan 9 16:51:57 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1300

Arthur Read is the bollocks

4 people like this 4 people

By RockyBottom9/1 16:52Sat Jan 9 16:52:59 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1304

Never stops running. Back to the player he was when he first came.

3 people like this 3 people

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)9/1 19:15Sat Jan 9 19:15:02 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1027

I was impressed with us today. Read was excellent, TVC has improved (or he had a good day?) and Norris looks like an upgrade.

I don’t blame Coker as much as others for the second goal, that Garrick was too good and too quick for him. As for the first goal... oh dear. We fought back really well though.

I think we’ll stay up. Two weeks ago I thought we were doomed.

Dean Wilkins is my new homoerotic fantasy.

By AgentEves9/1 23:00Sat Jan 9 23:00:32 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 788

"TVC has improved (or he had a good day?)"

A bit harsh to suggest TVC just had a good day. That's three solid performances in a row from him now. His distribution and bit of speed is a valuable addition to our back 4.

"Garrick was too good and too quick for [Coker]."

While this is true, Garrick wrote down on a postcard what he was going to do, mailed it to Coker, and still Coker couldn't read it. Coker was chasing shadows. He's disastrously slow, and not astute enough to have read it. Ronnie was horrendously slow, but I rarely remember him getting burned quite so savagely as that.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)11/1 12:52Mon Jan 11 12:52:52 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 416

I remember Danny Rose giving him the run around, but can’t think of any other times anyone got the better of King Ronnie

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)10/1 16:58Sun Jan 10 16:58:36 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 544

Fair points

By Sev9/1 19:26Sat Jan 9 19:26:45 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 947

Dean Wilkins will be a great manager when Revs get poached by a bigger club.

Edited by Sev at 19:26:51 on 9th January 2021

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 19:30Sat Jan 9 19:30:29 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 945

Revs will take Sampson with him so will need a big rebuild here.

By Sev9/1 19:39Sat Jan 9 19:39:09 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 933

Just hope Keith stays.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 19:46Sat Jan 9 19:46:03 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 928

Already getting head hunted by Daz

By Northlondonboro (Adam M)9/1 21:00Sat Jan 9 21:00:16 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 866

Did Leon recruit Keef?

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 21:38Sat Jan 9 21:38:24 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 848

Keef was adopted by Dino.

By Sev9/1 22:41Sat Jan 9 22:41:50 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 774

The closest he could find to replace the goat he has as a kid.

Norris

By SFC Jonny9/1 16:48Sat Jan 9 16:48:53 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1531

Crap pen.

Needs to shave off the Brent goatee.

I'm unconvinced.

Re: Norris

By Tucks9/1 17:54Sat Jan 9 17:54:41 2021In response to NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1161

Wasn’t a bad pen. Seen far worse go in. Credit to Woodman for stopping it.

By Bankerbob9/1 18:47Sat Jan 9 18:47:01 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1064

You mean credit to Woodman for moving early and deceiving the referee into thinking he was still stationary when the ball was hit?

By Taz9/1 20:33Sat Jan 9 20:33:17 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 904

They're allowed to move, just not cross the line.

I don't know which he did, but movement between the posts is OK.

By RockyBottom9/1 18:10Sat Jan 9 18:10:53 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1076

Norris did fine, got himself into good position.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)9/1 16:51Sat Jan 9 16:51:34 2021In response to NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1354

Gotten into some good positions. If he could finish he wouldn’t be In league 2.

By SparkyToes9/1 16:51Sat Jan 9 16:51:34 2021In response to NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1339

I was thinking he looked quite good.
Hoping he'll get us some goals in the league.

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 16:55Sat Jan 9 16:55:52 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1306

Agreed,thought he and Lines looked good.

However you know how Borochatters like to judge based on 30 minutes Vs teams two divisions higher!

By Rotterdamboro9/1 16:57Sat Jan 9 16:57:57 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1290

You do have to hand it to our scouts though. Having the foresight to sign someone who gets booked and misses a penalty as a substitute on debut is good going!

By Bumble9/1 17:10Sat Jan 9 17:10:02 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1201

I thought Norris lead the line well when he come on
Plays like that regularly he will make a difference

7 people like this 7 people

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 17:07Sat Jan 9 17:07:51 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1201

Haha

By Taz9/1 17:02Sat Jan 9 17:02:28 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1235

He didn't miss, it was saved. Keeper goes the other way and it's a goal.

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 17:06Sat Jan 9 17:06:34 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1243

He looked very good keeper. Think the commentator mentioned that he had saved lots of penalties this season

By AgentEves9/1 23:03Sat Jan 9 23:03:39 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 757

I mean, with the penalty save and the save from Read's freekick, he stopped two goals. Very solid keeper and I suspect a large contributor to their excellent defensive record this season.

By SFCfox9/1 18:22Sat Jan 9 18:22:49 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1028

He's the England U21 keeper, so i hope he's good!

By Ratman469/1 17:18Sat Jan 9 17:18:06 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1143

That was his 4th out of 7 this season

By Themessiah9/1 17:21Sat Jan 9 17:21:25 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1149

Yep

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 17:00Sat Jan 9 17:00:58 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1251

There was a defender many years ago ( Steve Holden?) who came on as a sub on his debut, conceded a penalty and given a straight red card... Now that was a debut!

By Pete (PeteH)9/1 17:30Sat Jan 9 17:30:02 2021In response to Re: NorrisTop of thread

Views: 1125

Brian Statham got sent off on his Boro debut for handball on the goal line

By AgentEves9/1 16:24Sat Jan 9 16:24:08 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1419

Decent subs.

CALL OFF THE MATCH NOW!

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 16:21Sat Jan 9 16:21:48 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1544

So foggy it's getting dangerous for the players.

Re: CALL OFF THE MATCH NOW!

By Owen B9/1 16:22Sat Jan 9 16:22:18 2021In response to CALL OFF THE MATCH NOW! Top of thread

Views: 1496

I was thinking about the fog just now. It seems to have descended very fast...

Re: CALL OFF THE MATCH NOW!

By Pete (PeteH)9/1 16:32Sat Jan 9 16:32:59 2021In response to Re: CALL OFF THE MATCH NOW! Top of thread

Views: 1442

It descended on our defensive decision-making very early on.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)9/1 16:12Sat Jan 9 16:12:16 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1475

Hahahahahahahh look how slow Coker is hahahahah

By AgentEves9/1 16:11Sat Jan 9 16:11:18 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1481

Such bullshit. So unfair.

Coker chasing shadows, again.

By Taz9/1 16:12Sat Jan 9 16:12:02 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1471

Coker is a disaster. Absolute shambles of a player.

By AgentEves9/1 16:13Sat Jan 9 16:13:09 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1463

He desperately needs replacing. He's comically slow. Everyone could see what the winger was going to do there except Coker.

By RockyBottom9/1 16:12Sat Jan 9 16:12:39 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1465

Should have signed Mark Wright. We love publicity after all.

By Taz9/1 16:14Sat Jan 9 16:14:05 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1463

What's Denis Irwin doing these days?

By Tucks9/1 17:56Sat Jan 9 17:56:47 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1030

Sad actually. He was killed by a stingray off the Australian coast about 15 years ago.

By Taz9/1 20:31Sat Jan 9 20:31:00 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 856

You're thinking of Steve Bruce.

By SFCfox9/1 16:11Sat Jan 9 16:11:53 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1475

Got roasted, but you don't see quality like that in League 2

By AgentEves9/1 16:14Sat Jan 9 16:14:37 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1529

Quality of the cross. Sure.

But knocking the ball past the full back and just sprinting past him, when the full back is giving you 15 yards of space and an open invitation to bend him over, that's the full backs fault.

Edited by AgentEves at 06:59:58 on 10th January 2021

5 people like this 5 people

By AgentEves9/1 16:07Sat Jan 9 16:07:29 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Good to see a half time sub. Interesting one tho. Pett was quiet, but not sure I'd have taken him off. I'm concerned Norris and Newton offer too much of the same thing. We shall see.

I'd like to see List on for Newton.

Coker skinned again.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 16:11Sat Jan 9 16:11:29 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1487

But at least they never subbed Newton.

Re: Coker skinned again.

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 16:12Sat Jan 9 16:12:26 2021In response to Coker skinned again.Top of thread

Views: 1461

Didn't have a chance in a foot race. Had to get in there first instead of backing off

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)9/1 15:52Sat Jan 9 15:52:19 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1624

Stop. Starting. Newton.

By Boro329/1 15:57Sat Jan 9 15:57:59 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1518

Not the same player he was a few seasons ago. Needs to be replaced with Oteh for second half.

By AgentEves9/1 15:56Sat Jan 9 15:56:01 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1522

I assume that's why we signed Norris.

To his credit, he wins so many headers and flick-ons (not that anyone gets on the end of them). But, yeah, his all-round game is pretty poor.

By RockyBottom9/1 15:54Sat Jan 9 15:54:22 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1529

Is that the new Hands, Face, Space?

By AgentEves9/1 15:47Sat Jan 9 15:47:51 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1573

Wilkins removing all doubt today as to whether he is influencing the way we play. Screaming the entire way through. Telling them to push higher, directing play, etc. Great to hear.

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 15:54Sat Jan 9 15:54:01 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1518

So much better. Even today, despite going behind we have really grown into it and had chances.

Read looking good, and quite impressed with Lines so far.

By Bumble9/1 17:13Sat Jan 9 17:13:17 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1217

Agree
Thought Read had a really good game
Came and got the ball
Showing alot more confidence
Lines looked good as well
Liking what I saw today
Downside.
2 very poor goals to give away

By AgentEves9/1 23:04Sat Jan 9 23:04:37 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 724

Another great poem, Bumble.

Let's us know when you publish the book.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 17:50Sat Jan 9 17:50:11 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1113

Do you type your posts on a typewriter?

By AgentEves9/1 23:05Sat Jan 9 23:05:24 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 735

This is the first line of my post. Stop.
I very much like the internet. Stop.
One day I will treat myself to a brand new Blackberry Curve. Stop.
End of message.

By Sev9/1 15:55Sat Jan 9 15:55:27 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1536

Read and Lines. Like an English lesson.

Edited by Sev at 15:55:36 on 9th January 2021

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 16:01Sat Jan 9 16:01:00 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Like what you did there!

By RockyBottom9/1 15:50Sat Jan 9 15:50:20 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1561

It's amazing what a difference he has made. This coupled with the new signings and a different player up front eg. Norris we definitely should have enough quality and options to stay up now.

By AgentEves9/1 15:56Sat Jan 9 15:56:47 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1507

Completely agree.

By Taz9/1 15:42Sat Jan 9 15:42:30 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1570

I don't understand how we have such a strong defensive record and so few goals when our attack and movement up front is infinitely better than the Subbuteo-esque defense.

By AgentEves9/1 15:40Sat Jan 9 15:40:32 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1579

We have grown into this game. Been on top for most of the last 15-20 mins.

By RockyBottom9/1 15:41Sat Jan 9 15:41:44 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1572

Think Lines will be a decent signing in the league. What I was expecting Vincalot to offer.

By AgentEves9/1 15:43Sat Jan 9 15:43:25 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1553

Agreed. And I noticed in the program he has 5 promotions.

By AgentEves9/1 15:31Sat Jan 9 15:31:05 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1627

I'd love to know Wildin's pass completion.

And what percentage of his crosses hit the player standing right in front of him.

By Sev9/1 15:42Sat Jan 9 15:42:32 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

I prefer the ones who hit the first man and result in a throw in to us, or the ball back to us, than some others who result in a throw in to the opposition as far too over hit.

Would be nice to have a player who can cross though, who plays out wide.

By AgentEves9/1 15:44Sat Jan 9 15:44:00 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1562

Both our full backs are liabilities.

By Bumble9/1 16:00Sat Jan 9 16:00:27 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1479

Tend to agree

By SFCfox9/1 15:46Sat Jan 9 15:46:45 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1554

A bit harsh.

By FingersLily9/1 15:47Sat Jan 9 15:47:34 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1551

I would say Luther has been one of the better players so far

By AgentEves9/1 15:48Sat Jan 9 15:48:39 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1560

At what? Finding space. Fair. But he dribbles forward and either gives it away or kicks it at the first defender in an attempt to cross it.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)9/1 21:21Sat Jan 9 21:21:16 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 855

He got a couple of decent crosses in, won a couple of corners, overlapped on a few runs and didn't give the ball away once in his own half that I can recall.

He's a L2 fullback so yes he has limitations, but he more than held his own today.

I thought he had a very decent game. As did TVC. Behind Read those two were our standout players.

By AgentEves9/1 23:06Sat Jan 9 23:06:47 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 734

"didn't give the ball away once in his own half that I can recall."

This is a crucial distinction, you're right. He wasn't really a liability today, but he has been overall, which is where my comment was stemming from.

In terms of today's performance, he was adequate.

By Sev9/1 21:27Sat Jan 9 21:27:56 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 868

TVC almost fucked it with a miscontrol but did an impressive recovery to stop the bloke getting his shot off when he was clear through due to he initial mistake.

That's my only worry with TVC. Sometimes he'll try to overplay or do something clever and if it doesn't come off it's very risky at CB.

But otherwise his partnership with Cuthbert is probably the best option at the moment.

By AgentEves9/1 23:11Sat Jan 9 23:11:37 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 751

"Probably."

I find the judgement of players on here really interesting. The bar for some players is extraordinarily high, while others can virtually take a shit in the middle of the pitch and get away with an assessment of "he's just an average League Two player". I assume there's some overcorrection going on, in reaction to a player being overly hyped or overly criticized, but I've always found it fascinating to read people defending players like Jordan Burrow and then in another post criticizing Darius. So strange.

Compared to Prosser, Nugent, and many, many other centre back options we have had in the past few years, he is, in my opinion, comfortably one of the better ones. Him and Cuthbert is undoubtedly our best partnership.

By Sev10/1 19:13Sun Jan 10 19:13:43 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 541

I say probably because I'm not as assertive in my opinion as some people who leave no room for any doubt they could possibly be wrong.

Also, I've not seen Prosser and TVC together or Prosser and Marshall or TVC and Marshall. But IMO Cuthbert and TVC are probably the best option, given my lack of complete information.

As for holding players to higher standards I agree. I see Wildin and TVC as similar in terms of performance in their respective positions. Both athletic, have good attributes but prone to the odd mistake. Yet 80%of the fanbase blame Wildin for every goal we concede and 80% of the fan base think TVC is the next £1m player.

I think they're both adequate, and time will tell whether they push on and improve.

There must be a reason why TVC can never hold a place in the team. Doing well at the moment though so long may it continue.

Edit: forgot about Fernandes too who when he had that spell in the team due to injuries looked like he had potential.

Edited by Sev at 19:22:45 on 10th January 2021

By AgentEves10/1 22:04Sun Jan 10 22:04:41 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 503

OK, fair. I read it as TVC being 'probably' the best option alongside Cuthbert. To which I would argue we have seen Wildin, Prosser and Marshall all link up with Cuthbert and I would say it's pretty reasonable to say that TVC is the obvious choice.

However, looking back at your post, that isn't what you said at all. Plus the points you've made here are valid.

That said, I disagree that Wildin and TVC are comparable. I think Wildin gives the ball away far more often than TVC does. TVC makes the odd mistake, Wildin rarely goes a game without multiple.

Edited by AgentEves at 22:05:37 on 10th January 2021

By Freemo9/1 23:29Sat Jan 9 23:29:34 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 762

Has ever started this many consecutive games at CB?

By Pete (PeteH)10/1 09:45Sun Jan 10 09:45:39 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 660

This.

TVC's been in and out of the team, playing at right and centre back. A run in the team now can only be a good thing in terms of his confidence, experience and decision making on the ball.

By FingersLily9/1 15:50Sat Jan 9 15:50:19 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1557

Created 2 of the best chances with his runs

By AgentEves9/1 15:58Sat Jan 9 15:58:01 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1499

I dont remember but will take your word for it.

By Sev9/1 16:14Sat Jan 9 16:14:37 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1410

I'm just amazed you're focussing on Wildin when Coker has had a far worse game so far.

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 16:56Sat Jan 9 16:56:30 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1204

Controversial opinion but that was Wildins best game in a long time.

By AgentEves9/1 16:15Sat Jan 9 16:15:48 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1413

I'm not focusing on Wildin. I said both are liabilities. Which they are.

Coker is abysmal and I've mentioned so plenty of times. He has been at fault for both goals.

By FingersLily9/1 16:00Sat Jan 9 16:00:05 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1485

Thanks. Won the free kick on the edge of the box & won the ball back, took on & beat their player then passed to Smith who crossed to Newton who then shot over

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:46Sat Jan 9 15:46:09 2021In response to Re: Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1555

Smith escorted a ball out for a throw in to them. Even I could see he touched the ball last.

Freddie Woodman.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:20Sat Jan 9 15:20:28 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1734

Just realised he's the son of ex Boro keeper Andy Woodman.

Is it to early...

By RockyBottom9/1 15:25Sat Jan 9 15:25:18 2021In response to Freddie Woodman.Top of thread

Views: 1695

To make a sub?

Newton is pissing me off already.

Newton

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:37Sat Jan 9 15:37:27 2021In response to Is it to early... Top of thread

Views: 1628

Come on Danny. Prove us wrong.

Re: Newton

By AgentEves9/1 15:38Sat Jan 9 15:38:51 2021In response to NewtonTop of thread

Views: 1598

He's a fucking donkey.

Smith on the other hand. If he continues to improve he's gonna be an awesome player. Superb distributon.

Re: Newton

By FingersLily9/1 15:38Sat Jan 9 15:38:34 2021In response to NewtonTop of thread

Views: 1600

Whoops!

Re: Is it to early...

By AgentEves9/1 15:26Sat Jan 9 15:26:40 2021In response to Is it to early... Top of thread

Views: 1658

Winning a lot of headers and flick ons tho.

His distribution is abysmal, though. If he had any sort of technical ability he'd be able to play much higher. He's athletic and that's literally it.

Re: Freddie Woodman.

By SFCfox9/1 15:24Sat Jan 9 15:24:43 2021In response to Freddie Woodman.Top of thread

Views: 1693

Hopefully he's just as bad!

Re: Freddie Woodman.

By RockyBottom9/1 15:26Sat Jan 9 15:26:01 2021In response to Re: Freddie Woodman.Top of thread

Views: 1668

Everytime Woodman is mentioned I have flashbacks to that Barnet away game.

Edited by RockyBottom at 15:26:44 on 9th January 2021

0-1 Already.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:08Sat Jan 9 15:08:59 2021In response to Match Thread.Top of thread

Views: 1758

Shit

Re: 0-1 Already.

By AgentEves9/1 15:16Sat Jan 9 15:16:52 2021In response to 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1681

Coker. Useless.

By SFCfox9/1 15:11Sat Jan 9 15:11:40 2021In response to 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1721

Revs has got to go now.

By Themessiah9/1 15:39Sat Jan 9 15:39:40 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1574

Doing good so far

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 15:17Sat Jan 9 15:17:51 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1677

Shame we can’t blame Sampson any more.

By Themessiah9/1 16:02Sat Jan 9 16:02:52 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1460

Been good so far just need to finish our chances

By AgentEves9/1 15:22Sat Jan 9 15:22:13 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1634

I know you're trolling, but us losing wasn't the issue. Us going into every game trying to grind it out, playing horrendous football, and getting nothing from it, was the issue.

As long as we keep playing this new brand of football then I suspect there will be fewer complaints.

By SFCfox9/1 15:20Sat Jan 9 15:20:41 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1656

I saw Sampson celebrate on the replay. Got out the Welsh flag too

By RockyBottom9/1 15:22Sat Jan 9 15:22:29 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1639

Who knew the FA Cup was an international competition.

By AgentEves9/1 15:17Sat Jan 9 15:17:27 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1674

Why? Have we all of a sudden gone back to playing shit football?

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:12Sat Jan 9 15:12:14 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1692

I've always said it.

By Owen B9/1 15:09Sat Jan 9 15:09:35 2021In response to 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1731

What the hell was that defending?

By FingersLily9/1 15:11Sat Jan 9 15:11:56 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1687

No defending - just watching

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:10Sat Jan 9 15:10:44 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1711

It was ever so easy for Swansea

By RockyBottom9/1 15:13Sat Jan 9 15:13:04 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1677

They are quicker to react all over the pitch. A step up from Hull certainly.

By FingersLily9/1 15:35Sat Jan 9 15:35:07 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1593

I actually think we’ve played quite well since the goal. We’re the better team without really creating anything. We’re working hard though

By RockyBottom9/1 15:37Sat Jan 9 15:37:14 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Yeah we have grown into the game. I feel like they could go up a gear though.

By AgentEves9/1 15:45Sat Jan 9 15:45:14 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1543

Just flashed up 57% possession to them which was surprising. Seemingly we know nothing.

By FingersLily9/1 15:46Sat Jan 9 15:46:32 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1534

And 44% to us which totals 101% so I don’t know who is doing the stats

By AgentEves9/1 15:49Sat Jan 9 15:49:11 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1534

Haha! Didn't notice that.

By AgentEves9/1 15:41Sat Jan 9 15:41:23 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1553

I said the same about them looking like they have another gear. There's been signs of them cutting us to shreds when they get into our third.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)9/1 15:36Sat Jan 9 15:36:48 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1575

“ We’re the better team without really creating anything. ”

We’re the better team without actually achieving what they’re supposed to in a game?

By FingersLily9/1 15:39Sat Jan 9 15:39:19 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1555

Not yet but, having said that, we just created 2 chances. Stop being so critical!

By AgentEves9/1 15:42Sat Jan 9 15:42:36 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1547

He isn't. He's trolling.

By Dave (daveadkins)9/1 15:10Sat Jan 9 15:10:35 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1723

Coker more interested holding the player than going for the ball

One thing we're better than Swansea at..

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)9/1 15:13Sat Jan 9 15:13:57 2021In response to Re: 0-1 Already.Top of thread

Views: 1791

Is the best looking manager. The Swansea manager looks like a ferret.

Other games (League Two)

By BasingstokeBoro9/1 15:15Sat Jan 9 15:15:33 2021In response to One thing we're better than Swansea at..Top of thread

Views: 1758

Grimsby losing. As it stands we stay outside the relegation zone with games in hand

Previous thread: Lee Bozier by Pete11/1 10:51Mon Jan 11 10:51:17 2021view thread