ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Super proud sponsors of Alex Revell IDST

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Match Thread - Newport (a) by WASPToday 09:29Today at 09:29:47view thread

Oldest article: Buying a ticket (ST holder) by Eazy29/11/2020 13:29Sun Nov 29 13:29:16 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Couple more Interviews by Stevenage FC Interviews21/1 22:33Thu Jan 21 22:33:45 2021view thread

Mid-Year Report

By AgentEves18/1 22:55Mon Jan 18 22:55:26 2021

Views: 1082

We're almost a the mid-way point of the season, and I'm extremely bored (and trying to find anything to do other than my actual work)...

How would you rate the players in the squad, based on their performances this season? It's a little tricky, since we've had a pretty nice up-tick in performances in the past few weeks, but never-the-less...

1. Jamie Cumming: A-
He's pretty solid, for the most part, but he seems to have the odd melter. That being said, I can't think of many (if any) goals where I thought he should have done better.

2. James Luther-Wildin: C-
Pretty inconsistent, but I don't have as much of an issue with him in the side as many do. He's not the best right back, but at least he's not the worst we've had. Below average, but not by much.

3. Ben Coker: D
He's pretty solid going forward, but his lack of mobility seriously hinders his ability. I've lost count of the number of goals we've conceded where he's been directly involved. His positional sense isn't great, and he doesn't have the speed to make up the ground.

4. Romain Vincelot: C-
I've seen him have a couple of awful games, but few games where he's stood out to me as having a good game. That said, he plays in a role where you don't really notice a lot of the contributions (especially on the TV), so he probably gets the benefit of the doubt. I'd put him pretty far down the pecking order of midfielders, at this point.

5. Scott Cuthbert: B+
Solid, but absolutely abysmal passing. Benefits from having TVC alongside him, both for cover and as the main distributor from the back. Prone to the occasional clanger pass, but otherwise is pretty error free. No major complaints.

6. Luke Prosser: D
Slow, clumsy, reminiscent of a famous Atlantic liner which had a fateful encounter with an iceberg. I'm surprised we haven't offloaded him yet. Probably judged harshly given he was one of the few signings we made that we had actually heard of, but I've seen nothing from him that has impressed me.

7. Charlie Carter: B-
A few flashes here and there of him being a decent player, but it doesn't come often enough. It's a shame that he seemed to find a good spot up front alongside Newton, but now it appears he may be back out on the wing where he is probably less impactful. If he gets a decent run of games up front or in behind Norris, I hope he'll have more good games than bad.

8. Osborne: N/A
Hasn't played enough. Can't even remember his first name and can't be bothered to look it up. Scott? Who knows. I actually thought he looked half decent but hasn't played enough for me to comment. Would like to see him back in the side now we actually use our midfielders, but suspect he would be behind Lines, Read and possibly Smith, so may have a tough time getting back in. Elliott. That's his name.

9. Inih Effiong: C-
Not entirely sure what happened here. I thought he was pretty good, albeit unremarkable, but wasn't really given enough time to get it right. Maybe there's an attitude problem there, or maybe a clash of personalities, or maybe he simply didn't fit into the way we wanted to play? He didn't exactly hit the ground running, but I didn't think he was bad enough that he would be banished from the team never to be seen again. I'd have rather he played instead of Oteh, since the output was largely similar, and I suspect he would have grown into form if given a longer run in the side.

10. Tyrone Marsh: D
Don't rate him at all. He's quick, and seems to work hard, but his technical ability is below the others around him, and he doesn't have enough output for him to be anywhere near the starting 11.

11. Danny Newton: C+
One of the most frustrating players to watch. Head down, running at players, crashing into them, giving away needless fouls, smashing shots into the defender right in front of him. In possession he seems to almost always do the wrong thing, but out of possession he is excellent. Wins headers, pressures defenders, works hard, is strong and quick. Just a shame he doesn't really have any end product.

12. Romeao Hutton: C
Is this guy even still with us? I actually thought he wasn't bad, despite getting a lot of flack on here. Good with the ball at his feet, quick, and versatile. I'd rather have him at left back than Coker.

13. Johnson?: N/A
Billy Johnson? Never seen him play, so no idea.

14. Fielding?: N/A
Jack? Luke? Noel? Jamie? Maybe it's Jamie.

15. Terence Vancooten: A-
I think he is arguably our best player. He has the occasional slip up, and gives the ball away in precarious positions, but I think given his age, he has plenty of room to develop and improve. He's pretty mobile, strong and has very good distribution, which is rare for defenders at this level. I hope he'll be around for a while to come and will continue to develop.

16. Arthur Ionnton: N/A
I haven't seen enough of him this season to comment, but I don't think he's very good.. is he?

17. Elliott List: C
One of my biggest frustrations. I'd like to see him have more game time up front, instead of on the wing, but I don't think I'd want him in the starting XI ahead of Carter. He seems to have a knack of popping up with goals, and is clearly a very good finisher, but spends large portions of most games completely invisible.

18. Do we have a no.18? Not sure why none of the new signings took it if it's not being used. Weird. Maybe they all wanted 35, 36 and 40...

19. Arthur Read: A
I really like Read, and I think he brings a lot to our midfield. Really great engine, decent enough distribution, pretty consistent set pieces, good movement. Can't really fault him.

20. Femi Akinwande: C-
I like him. I thought he looked lively in the few games he played, but I guess we probably won't see him play again so fuck it. Can't be any worse than Marsh.

21. Another number that seems to be missing.

22. Marcus Dinanga: C-
Again, I thought he looked ok. But apparently everyone else disagrees. Wasn't really given a great deal of time in the starting 11, so hard to know for sure.

23. Jack Smith: B+
I really rate Jack, as I know many others do. He's sensible in possession, has a decent engine, and seems very consistent. Hopefully he and TVC become the spine of our team as we move forward into the next few years. Hopefully he can learn from Lines and continue to improve.

24. Ross Marshall: C+
I think he looked pretty solid the few times we've seen him play. Seems equally comfortable at CB and as a defensive midfielder. Could be a long-term replacement for Cuthbert? Although will probably end up being released to play first-team football.

25. Another skipped number.

26. Tom Pett: B
Had a bit impact on the team when he came in, and quickly showed that he had improved from when he left us. That being said, has been very quiet since he's moved out to the wing, and now that the other players in the team have stepped up, he hasn't been a standout performer. Decent to have in the squad since he can play a few positions and is technically very solid.

27. Jack Aitchison: B-
I have pretty mixed feelings about Aitchison. He's clearly talented, but seems a bit high on himself. Wants to do it all on his own and doesn't seem to be particularly focused on teamwork. Another one of those "I'm going to shoot no matter what" players (like Newton) but is a decent option of the bench to inject some urgency into our play.

28. Aramide Oteh: C-
Didn't think much of him, but also didn't think he was total shit. Doesn't matter since he's been recalled.

29. Liam Smyth: N/A
Had to look this one up. Never seen him play.

30. Luis Ferndandez: N/A
Has only played one game. Clearly not a left back but did adequately well when called upon. Will reserve judgement until I've seen him play more games in his actual position.

35. Matty Stevens: N/A
Too early to tell.

36. Luke Norris: N/A
Too early to tell, but looks decent enough.

40: Chris Lines: B+
Looks to be a very good signing. Adds some more composure to the midfield, has a bunch of experience and seemingly still has a pretty decent engine on him. Hopefully he can be a good influence on those around him and made a good impact.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Re: Mid-Year Report

By RockyBottom21/1 15:03Thu Jan 21 15:03:31 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 276

Pretty much agree with all of that expect Oteh. I would have rated him much higher than Newton.

Edited by RockyBottom at 15:03:52 on 21st January 2021

By Goolies20/1 15:15Wed Jan 20 15:15:36 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 391

Can't really argue with any of that. Player of the Season will be genuinely fascinating as I think anybody is capable of putting a decent run of form together and winning it, which is weird considering where we are.

I probably wouldn't have put TVC in contention a few weeks ago but he has been brilliant. Seems to have shaken off last season's malaise (injuries seemed to impact him a lot). I remember him forming a pretty formidable back three with Nugent and Cuthbert toward the end of the 18/19 season, so he always had it in him.

I like Read a lot. He would get my vote, although TVC runs him very close. Brentford have one hell of a player there. Would love to keep him but can't see it happening. The likes of Carter, Pett, Smith and Cumming all in with a shout too if they can put in some good form toward the back end of the season.

As for the numbers, I believe Mackye Townsend-West has the number 18 and Samuel Tinubu has number 25 (both youth players - I think the latter is only 15 and started on the bench in a Checkatrade game). As for 21, that's been unofficially retired for Mitch I believe.

3 people like this 3 people

By AgentEves20/1 18:06Wed Jan 20 18:06:32 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 350

Nice to see you back on here, Goolies, it's been a while. Unless I've just been completely oblivious to you posting all along...

Good to know about the missing shirt numbers, thanks for that.

By Sev20/1 17:01Wed Jan 20 17:01:43 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 366

Wildin 100%

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)19/1 17:05Tue Jan 19 17:05:11 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 566

Newton pisses me off every time I see him play! I couldn't understand the hope that we'd resign him in the summer.

Maybe just a personal thing, we all have that one player that we find irritating

By AgentEves19/1 17:10Tue Jan 19 17:10:04 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 542

Newton irritates me, but the effort is definitely there, so I couldn't justify giving him a lower grade. But he annoys the fuck out of me.

By BedsBoro19/1 16:11Tue Jan 19 16:11:37 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 590

I'd agree with most of that, particularly Effiong.

It's interesting that - from our apparently awful squad - Marsh is probably the worst (of those who have played anyway) and he was one of the better players in the Conference last year. The quality can't be that bad. We do need a left back to at least challenge Coker though

We're definitely heading in the right direction, slowly maybe but we are getting there and it's encouraging that there are probably a few in there who haven't fulfilled their potential or played to their best level yet.

By AgentEves19/1 17:16Tue Jan 19 17:16:27 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 570

I can't figure out what Marsh's best position is. Where did he play last season?

I think he falls into the same category as List: a striker who isn't quite good enough to play up front, so ends up out on the wing.

By Bankerbob20/1 13:43Wed Jan 20 13:43:06 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 365

His best position would appear to be left back - left back in the dressing room.

By BedsBoro19/1 20:51Tue Jan 19 20:51:11 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 453

I think he did exactly that last year and either played up front or on the left. It looks like there's some ability but he can't seem to get the ball out of his feet whenever I've seen him

By Tucks19/1 19:22Tue Jan 19 19:22:23 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 514

Best position is at another club probably.

2 people like this 2 people

By AgentEves20/1 01:33Wed Jan 20 01:33:08 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 465

Harsh, but lol.

By BasingstokeBoro19/1 17:58Tue Jan 19 17:58:15 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 518

Best position?

Sub

By Bragbury10619/1 19:25Tue Jan 19 19:25:34 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 468

would just about get a game at hackney marsh.

By Specky (Mike H)19/1 09:58Tue Jan 19 09:58:23 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 706

Jamie Cumming - have another look at the Carlisle highlights :)) .......agree though that he’s pretty solid.

By Pete (PeteH)19/1 09:15Tue Jan 19 09:15:51 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 740

Maybe after the farce of Paul Taylor tarnishing Ronnie's 25, we finally retired the number?

By SFCfox19/1 07:11Tue Jan 19 07:11:34 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 808

Vancooten is only good because he's playing along side Scott Cuthbert. That man had Ben Nugent put in good performances!

Effiong C but Coker D? Come on.

By AgentEves19/1 15:57Tue Jan 19 15:57:00 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 582

I dont remember Nugent putting in good performances. I'd argue Cuthbert has looked more solid since playing alongside TVC.

Did Effiong make mistakes on a fairly consistent basis that resulted in goals? I think with more time, he would have come good. Coker is well past his sell by date.

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)20/1 09:39Wed Jan 20 09:39:43 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 435

Nugent put in some good displays, unfortunately none of them were last season!

Season before he was decent (in my opinion)

By SFCfox20/1 10:08Wed Jan 20 10:08:45 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 431

Yep, during his first season everybody was waiting for him to make a calamitous error but it never came. He was a solid CB.

Last season, nobody was good.

By AgentEves20/1 18:08Wed Jan 20 18:08:07 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 322

I remember when I started watching games again, and Sev said suggested that I would hate Nugent, but that he was a reasonable L2 defender (I'm paraphrasing).

So based on that, I'd suggest he's always been a shit, hoof-it merchant.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)20/1 19:25Wed Jan 20 19:25:39 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 313

He fits into a L2 side in the same way Maguire would fit into Man City

By Sev20/1 18:15Wed Jan 20 18:15:51 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 319

Haha sounds about right.

I was always expecting him to fuck up but he never really did (in the season before last).

Not been great at Barnet by all accounts.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)19/1 01:09Tue Jan 19 01:09:37 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 839

Generous for Hutton, rest I agree

By Chet Manley (Paulio)18/1 22:57Mon Jan 18 22:57:08 2021In response to Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 888

Are you grading it as if they’re plucky part time players in league two?

By Tucks19/1 11:23Tue Jan 19 11:23:40 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 668

ThEy WeRe SiGnEd WhEn We DiDnT kNoW wHaT lEaGuE wE wErE gOiNg To Be In.

By AgentEves18/1 23:51Mon Jan 18 23:51:14 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 850

I'm grading them as individual players. To remove the fact that they've been asked to play 100 different formations and/or horrible tactics.

I think the players are better than our current position suggests, and I think we'll start to climb the table now. I've also not exactly given them all glowing reviews. Only two players got an A grade, and I think both are deserving of it.

EDIT: 3 players with As. Point still stands.

Edited by AgentEves at 23:52:19 on 18th January 2021

By Sev19/1 13:46Tue Jan 19 13:46:32 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 618

What's the reference point.

Are you grading them as players in a shit team or as players in the whole league?

If the latter then the highest grade might only be a C given our relative performance. The As would be saved for the best players in the league.

Edited by Sev at 13:47:15 on 19th January 2021

By AgentEves19/1 16:05Tue Jan 19 16:05:04 2021In response to Re: Mid-Year ReportTop of thread

Views: 541

Fair question. I dont know enough about all the players in the league for that to be my reference point. So I guess it's just based on whether I think they're decent and whether I'm happy with them on the team.

That being said, it's rare that I watch a game and I'm particularly impressed by anyone on the other team. I genuinely think that most teams are much of a muchness and it's a few individuals and the small margins that make the difference.

I don't think Read, Cumming and Vancooten would be out of place in any team in League Two.

There should probably be a lot more Ds though, given we are 22nd. I just genuinely don't feel like we will be 22nd for much longer so maybe my grades are based on that optimism. Prior to Wilkins coming in they probably would have all gotten Fs (which, come to think of it, the lowest I went was D...)

Previous thread: iFollow query by RockyBottom20/1 14:04Wed Jan 20 14:04:29 2021view thread