ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Super proud sponsors of Alex Revell IDST

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Match Thread - Newport (a) by WASPToday 09:29Today at 09:29:47view thread

Oldest article: Buying a ticket (ST holder) by Eazy29/11/2020 13:29Sun Nov 29 13:29:16 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: WATN #28 - Recent Loanee Edition by Pete19/1 14:11Tue Jan 19 14:11:54 2021view thread

Square pegs, round holes

By jayess24/1 17:24Sun Jan 24 17:24:58 2021

Views: 765

Tyrone Marsh had a decent strike rate for Borehamwood last season – playing as a striker, I imagine. I don't know whether he could replicate that in League Two because I have scarcely seen him play up front. I do know he is a liability as a wide midfield player. He can't tackle, doesn't track back effectively or close down opponents. But then, he's a striker.
By the same token, Pett was really influential in his first few games for us in centre midfield. He isn't the same player out wide.
Carter played up front twice and scored three goals. Now he's out wide again, where he tends to lose possession all too regularly.
So why are we reduced to using these players in this way? Because we don't sign wingers, right or left.
Remember Lawrie Wilson and Luke Freeman? Wasn't it good?
Is it asking too much to ask that we pause the current obsession with signing striker after striker and add an old-fashioned wide player before the end of the transfer window?

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people

Re: Square pegs, round holes

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)25/1 09:28Mon Jan 25 09:28:51 2021In response to Square pegs, round holesTop of thread

Views: 435

Yep, most the genuine wide midfielders we have had turned out decent too... McAnuff, Whelps, Akins, Freeman, Wilson.

Can we please just sign one

Re: Square pegs, round holes

By Chet Manley (Paulio)24/1 17:42Sun Jan 24 17:42:51 2021In response to Square pegs, round holesTop of thread

Views: 707

Our plan was to go with 4-3-3 so we didn’t bother with any wingers. Kind of fucked us up

Previous thread: Boro Fives Table by Sev24/1 21:18Sun Jan 24 21:18:30 2021view thread