ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Super proud sponsors of Alex Revell IDST

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Aaron Presssley by BoromooseYesterday 19:25Yesterday at 19:25:50view thread

Oldest article: EFL Team of the Week by AndyC3/1 17:46Sun Jan 3 17:46:29 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: OT: Stonks by Copeysaurus28/1 13:08Thu Jan 28 13:08:11 2021view thread

Most 0-0 draws in a season record

By NPHBoro27/1 05:39Wed Jan 27 05:39:14 2021

Views: 993

That’s 6 this season in the league already. Can’t find a definitive stat (could be 9) but at the moment we are on pace for 12! Which surely will be a record.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)27/1 09:04Wed Jan 27 09:04:22 2021In response to Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 743

Don't forget, the aim this season is to score more goals and provide entertainment for the fans

3 people like this 3 people

By jayess27/1 09:41Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 717

We've scored 41 goals in 59 League games since the start of last season. Since we've had endless permutations of personnel in that time, it must say something about where we put the emphasis and the style we choose to play.

Personally I'm losing the will to care any more, which I thought I would never say. Perhaps it is a good job fans aren't allowed in, otherwise we would be getting some excruciatingly embarrassing attendance figures.

8 people like this 8 people

By Jas7927/1 11:30Wed Jan 27 11:30:45 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 637

I think much of the problem is that the emphasis is genuinely trying to play good football. Our players are not good enough to do this. If we sign 2 more this window neither will they. If they were they wouldnt settle for us would they.

Hard work, determination, getting the basics of the game right will get us out of this. By all means be direct but get numbers forward in support, be first to the second ball etc etc. The occasional cross with maybe two strikers in the box?

Trying to play through a well organised L2 defence as if we are something special - not going to happen on a consistent basis is it? Torture to watch aswell.

2 people like this 2 people

By AgentEves27/1 16:22Wed Jan 27 16:22:21 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 450

I just dont think this is true. The idea that L2 players can't play football is just easy to repeat, poorly thought out, rubbish. If we were trying to play good football every week, and losing games hand over fist, then you'd have a case to argue, but in fact, the opposite is true.

The fact is, we are playing against other L2 teams. We're not playing Premier League teams every week. The defenders' ability to defend is relative to the attackers' ability to create and score chances. The defenders aren't super-powered.

I'm not expecting us to play like Barcelona, but I dont think we need to completely abandon any semblance of passing though the midfield and simply resort to long balls into the channels, because of some bullshit notion that League Two players can't play football.

We have first hand experience that suggests this isn't true, as well. The little flurry of games we had where we started scoring and won a couple of games showed that a) we can play decent football and b) it does produce better results. I understand that's a very small sample size, but those two/three games was better than the majority of the last season and a half.

The fact that we have been playing this same brand of passing it around the back and then launching it into the corners, with it producing almost identical results each week, is reasonale proof that it shouldn't be our go-to tactic. As much as you may be able to argue that we dont have strong evidence that the shorter passing produces better results, it's impossible to argue that the long ball produces good results.

We have played a plethora of strikers this season and last, none of whom have scored a reasonable number of goals. It isnt a simple case of getting better strikers. That being said, we put Charlie Carter up front (much to my confusion, admittedly) and he bags a couple of goals, then the next thing we do is stick him back on the wing. When we are desperate for goals, and someone comes in and scores a couple, why would you then change it? Completely non-sensical.

I just dont get it. We seemed to have figured it out. We completely changed the way we were playing and produced far better entertainment AND produced better results. And now we've gone back to the same shit we were playing before. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

The players have shown they are capable. Let them play.

By Jas7927/1 19:11Wed Jan 27 19:11:14 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 373

Oh I agree that some L2 players can play football consistently and enough to open up a well organised L2 defence.

Just not likely that they'd be playing for Stevenage given what they'd expect and what we can afford.

By jayess27/1 11:45Wed Jan 27 11:45:43 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 607

Entirely agree with this. Playing it out from the back is all very pretty and equally ineffectual. All it does is allow the opposition to set themselves up defensively and make the final ball forward difficult.
The stats don't lie; we don't get enough ball or bodies in the box, we don't put the opposition under pressure and we don't score goals.
Clearly there is more too it than that. Some of the recent team selections appear to be bizarre. I assume Lines, Pett and Aitchison are all injured, otherwise how on earth does Marsh get on ahead of them?
Wildin and Coker get plenty of stick on here, but the stats tell you the defence isn't the problem. It is further forward.
Carter is a liability in midfield. He endlessly gives the ball away. But he is a different proposition playing off the main striker.

1 person likes this 1 person

By AgentEves27/1 16:27Wed Jan 27 16:27:20 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 429

How can you use the stats to prove that passing it out from the back doesn't work, when we have been playing long ball the vast majority of this season and last.*

I just dont get how you can think that playing a shorter passing game doesn't work, and that we should be playing more direct, when the evidence suggests the exact opposite.

We have been playing direct and haven't been getting results. We play a shorter passing game and we get some results.

*EDIT for clarity: how can you use stats from the way we have been playing as a way of proving that the way we haven't been playing doesn't work. If anything, the stats show that the way we have been playing - i.e. direct, doesn't work.

Edited by AgentEves at 16:31:00 on 27th January 2021

By jayess27/1 16:47Wed Jan 27 16:47:18 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 415

I didn't say you can't/shouldn't pass through midfield, though to do so successfully requires tempo and movement.
It is the endless passing back and across from keeper and back four that is tedious and non-productive. It often ends in a hasty long ball from a man under pressure in the general direction of another man well marked.

The conditions last night were crying out for moving the ball more quickly, in my view. Not every game is the same, nor should the tactics necessarily be from start to finish.

By AgentEves27/1 17:25Wed Jan 27 17:25:14 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 405

Presumably you realise that passing it around at the back and then launching it long was the tactics last night, as have been the tactics for most of this season and last, and that passing it around the back and then playing it long isn't the same as playing out from the back...?

I'm not exactly sure what you're criticising here. You said you don't think passing out from the back is effectual, but now you're saying passing around at the back and then playing it long is ineffectual. So the defenders shouldn't pass out from the back, but also shouldn't play it long out from the back? What do you want them to do?

By jayess27/1 17:42Wed Jan 27 17:42:43 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 409

For an intelligent, thoughtful poster you are being particularly pedantic here. I'll put it down the early hour in your part of the world and the possibility that you have vowed not to sleep/drink again until you've seen us score.
Whether we are passing it through midfield or hitting it long (and we've tried both at various times) tempo is crucial.
Our sideways/sideways/forward/backward/sideways obsession from the back merely allows the opposition to set up as they choose.

If you really want to upset yourself, take a look at the goals of the season video from 2010/11. The speed with which we moved the ball was awesome.

By AgentEves27/1 18:39Wed Jan 27 18:39:55 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 369

I'm not deliberately being pedantic, I'm just genuinely trying to understand your view. Your original post said that you thought passing it out from the back was ineffectual. But then went on to criticise passing it around the back four and then playing it long. Having gone back and re-read the conversation, I assume that maybe when you originally said 'playing out from the back' you actually meant us passing it around the back four/five. Like I say, I'm not trying to be pedantic, I think I just (somewhat reasonably) misunderstood what you said.

For what it's worth, I agree that tempo is key. However, I disagree that we shouldn't be passing it around the back four. I would prefer we got the ball forward quicker (and by that, I don't mean playing long, I mean get the ball to the midfielders quicker) but I also think that playing it around the back four is sometimes important to either pull the opposition up the field (making spaces for a counter attack) or pulling players out of position for us to attack a specific area. What I definitely don't want to see (and I'm sure you agree) is us just relentlessly trying to pass forward instead of being occasionally patient (when the situation calls for it) since a relentless ambition to play forward will result in a much higher rate of turnovers.

I actually also find it interesting that we are patient to play it forward from the back (whether it be long ball, or to our midfielders) but when we get into the final third, we are too hasty and when the avenue we are exploring has closed, we don't look to play sideways and wait for options to open up. Like I say, I agree that we should look to play with a higher tempo, but I don't think forward is always the best route. This was particularly prominent against Concord, where they sat 10 players behind the ball, and we couldn't adapt to playing a more lateral game in order to try and pull them out of position.

So I both agree and disagree with what you're saying. I think the lateral passes can be important, but I agree that it needs to be done with a little more urgency. I also disagree that we have tried passing it through midfield various times. I think we have tried it once, for a spell of 3 games, where we looked excellent, and now seem to have abandoned it again.

I think my issue with the way we play is that we seemed to settle into something that was working, but now we have changed it again, back to what hasn't been working for the past 2 seasons. I'm just very confused as to what Rev's (or Wilkins') logic is for that.

By jayess28/1 09:16Thu Jan 28 09:16:05 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 302

To resume the discussion, I concede that it is necessary to play it out across the back from time to time, though I would argue we do it too much...perhaps because there aren't enough options opening up ahead
A passing game requires utilising the right players. Energy and a good first touch are essential.
I would use Smith, Read, Pett, Lines and Aitchison behind either Norris or Carter. Plenty of strikers on the bench if it isn't working.
Perhaps the fact that P, L and A were missing on Tuesday was the reason we were hitting it long. But if you are going to hit it long, you need to move it quickly.
Whatever style the manager chooses to play, he should always have a plan B and C in his pocket. I still believe our main problem is in the dug out. Wilkins may be having a positive effect, but Revs picks the team, and he should have been shown the door weeks ago.

By Freemo27/1 18:58Wed Jan 27 18:58:43 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 361

Trying to force it was definitely our biggest problem the other night. Lots of moves ended in the final ball coming straight back off the defence and us having to rebuild.

The high pressing counter attacking style relies on being able to make the right choices at the vital moment and we are lacking that.

By Mr Happy SFC27/1 22:13Wed Jan 27 22:13:55 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 325

The decision making was pretty aweful. Very frustrating to watch.

By Owen B27/1 13:09Wed Jan 27 13:09:16 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 539

I fail to understand why Carter has been moved, especially after scoring a few goals over the Christmas period.

2 people like this 2 people

FAO Steve / Jay / Deano

By AgentEves27/1 18:49Wed Jan 27 18:49:43 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 399

Whoever does the post-match interviews these days... can someone ask Revs why he stopped playing Carter up front when he was scoring goals, given that we have been struggling to score goals all season?

And can we also discuss why we have abandoned the playing style that was working well over Christmas and regressed into the more direct approach that we saw against Colchester, which we have seen for the past 2 years doesn't work.

I honestly want to hear what his logic behind those two decisions is. If he can back it up with rational, well thought-out logic, then at least I can simply agree to disagree and feel confident that at least he is putting some sound logic into what we are seeing.

In all fairness, the latter question could be explained by the fact that Exeter are a better team than we are, and trying to pass our way through them may have been disastrous (although we still lost, so it's not as though going back to long ball worked in our favour) and that Colchester destroyed us last time out, so the same could be said for them (and at least our agricultural style earned us a point).

By Pat (PatJ5)27/1 15:14Wed Jan 27 15:14:37 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 474

Agreed, that was pretty baffling, particularly when you consider the lack of options and anticipation shown by the strikers throughout most of the game yesterday.

By Owen B27/1 09:33Wed Jan 27 09:33:01 2021In response to Re: Most 0-0 draws in a season record Top of thread

Views: 639

I think we should go for the 0-0 record now tbh.

Previous thread: Match thread - Colchester (h) by Owen B26/1 18:08Tue Jan 26 18:08:03 2021view thread