ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Borochat

Super proud sponsors of Alex Revell IDST

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: BYE BYE BORO! by Owen BToday 11:04Today at 11:04:12view thread

Oldest article: Ian Holloway by Balders23/12/2020 10:03Wed Dec 23 10:03:19 2020view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Matchday Thread - Southend (a) by Sev13/3 15:14Sat Mar 13 15:14:59 2021view thread

Worrying times

By jayess13/3 12:03Sat Mar 13 12:03:54 2021

Views: 1015

For those of us convinced that (1) Brexit is the greatest political con trick in post-War history and (2) appointing Revs as manager was the worst example yet of Phil shooting himself in the foot, life is tough right now.

On the one hand we are leaving our European neighbours standing when it comes to rolling out the Covid vaccination programme. And if that isn't hard enough to take, we are seven games unbeaten.

At least there was some light (or should that be dark) at the end of the pessimist's tunnel in terms of team selection at Leyton Orient. Namely:

1. Surely List has done enough to prove that he should always play as a central striker (off the shoulder of the last defender). Which means that
2. Newton and Norris should never play together if it means sticking List out wide.
I would add (perhaps the most contentious) that
3. Read is more liability than asset.
Earlier this season I was a lukewarm fan. But the more I've seen of him the more frustrating his lack of any kind of killer pass becomes. It is almost always sideways or back.
Pett's ability to turn past defenders showed he was in a different class on Wednesday.
Hopefully Lines will be fit to resume his partnership with Pett today. If not, it's time to get the Roles out of the garage.

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people

Re: Worrying times

By Bankerbob13/3 17:14Sat Mar 13 17:14:15 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 618

I thought Pett put in a fantastic shift today.

5 people like this 5 people

Started like a sack of shit n/t

By RockyBottom13/3 15:09Sat Mar 13 15:09:05 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 685

No text

Edited by RockyBottom at 15:10:08 on 13th March 2021

1 person likes this 1 person

Hahaha

By RockyBottom13/3 14:58Sat Mar 13 14:58:32 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 712

Southend commentator just said Stevenage don't have an issue scoring goals, priceless!

Re: Hahaha

By Themessiah13/3 15:00Sat Mar 13 15:00:19 2021In response to HahahaTop of thread

Views: 647

Obviously hasn't done his homework ha ha

By RockyBottom13/3 15:01Sat Mar 13 15:01:03 2021In response to Re: HahahaTop of thread

Views: 636

He was citing Stevens and Norris, but neglected to mention they didn't score them for us ;)

By Freemo13/3 15:02Sat Mar 13 15:02:04 2021In response to Re: HahahaTop of thread

Views: 627

Maybe the printer cut that bit of notes off

By AgentEves13/3 14:43Sat Mar 13 14:43:25 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 652

I have to say I agree with all of this. 3 is probably a bit harsh, and I do agree with the other comments in this thread that his poor performance against Orient could well have been because he hasn't played for so long. That was how I saw it at the time. I'm happy enough with him in the team, but I think we are at the stage where it comes down to "How do we push on from here?"

And on that note, you're right that there isn't much of an end product from Read. He doesn't seem to have a killer pass in his locker. The question is, does Lines either? I'm not convinced. Unquestionably he's a better passer than Read, but he loves the sideways and backwards passes, too

Our lack of goals isn't simply down to our lack of fire power up front. The midfield aren't chipping in enough. Carter has scored a couple, but his goals have come from playing up front, and he hasn't contributed enough from midfield. Osborne's injury hasn't helped, because I think he'd have bagged a few this season otherwise. But who else from the midfield is chipping in with goals? No-one, really. Aitchison looks capable, but produces nothing. List is ineffective out wide. Smith, while promising, isn't a goalscoring midfielder. And irrespective of your opinion on Vincelot, scoring isn't what he is there to do.

I think Pett has both the ability to chip in with goals and the ability to find a killer pass, but he has been playing far too deep for him to be in the right positions to do either. I'm not sure if he is just more of a deep-lying playmaker than an advanced playmaker, or if it's down to his midfield partner not doing a robust enough defensive job to allow him the freedom to move forward.

I think a better combative midfielder should be one of our top recruiting targets in the summer. From what I have seen of Vincelot, he just isn't mobile enough and his distribution is far too inconsistent. If we can find a top quality holding midfielder who can sit alongside Pett, allowing him the freedom to push forward, I think we'll find that he'll chip in with not only more goals, but with creating more chances for others around him. Ironically, a player who could do that job is Paul Digby, but we never played him in midfield and it seems we missed out on a lot of what he has to offer.

In the interim, I wonder if Osborne and Pett is a worthwhile experiment in the middle. Osborne can play the advanced role, while Pett pulls the strings from deep. You could argue there's not much bite from either of those, but neither are shrinking violets, and in games where we expect (or should expect) to have the lion's share of possession, there is less need for a ball-winning midfielder.

Even if Osborne and Pett does work, though, it doesn't really fix the problem. As much as Osborne may be more effective through the middle, is the winger who comes in to replace him a better option than having Lines in the middle? I don't know that any of our wingers have the quality to be a better option than Lines in the middle with Pett, and Osborne out wide.

I'm relatively positive right now. Norris being dropped today shows that Revs sees the light. And, more importantly, isn't too big of an ego to admit his mistakes. Credit where credit is due. The summer is going to be interesting and I'm feeling positive that we have the start of a very decent League Two team. A few key additions in the summer and I think next season will be more positive all round.

Good post, Jayess. Some really good discussion points there.

Edited by AgentEves at 14:46:22 on 13th March 2021

By RockyBottom13/3 14:53Sat Mar 13 14:53:59 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 617

I think 3 is a bit harsh on Read, he is certainly worthy of a spot in the middle over Lines atm.

''How do we push on from here?"

It's not just the line-up and the players we have. A big problem is the mentality of the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I've delighted that relegation now looks unlikely, but now we have more freedom and breathing space, we have to get past the mindset that a draw is a good result. Until then season after season, we aren't going to ever be more than midtable.

If you were to take 14 of our 15 draws and make 7 into wins, 7 into defeats we would be in with a shout of the playoffs. Plus the games would be a hell of a lot more exciting to watch.

Edited by RockyBottom at 14:54:49 on 13th March 2021
Edited by RockyBottom at 14:55:36 on 13th March 2021

By AgentEves13/3 15:00Sat Mar 13 15:00:34 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 594

You're absolutely right about the mentality. That has arguably been the thing that has frustrated me the most this season. We act like everyone is better than us. After last season, I sort of understand, but as I've said before, most of the teams in League Two are pretty even. We have no reason to fear anyone (except maybe Exeter cos we always lose against them).

That's interesting about the draws. We would have only needed to win 5 out of the 15 to have "broken even" so to speak, and I really do think that with a more positive mindset, we would have won more than we lost.

By RockyBottom13/3 15:04Sat Mar 13 15:04:27 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 616

People will argue differently, but when we take the games to sides we look so much better. As you have said, there isn't much between a hell of a lot of sides in this league.

By Ratman4613/3 16:08Sat Mar 13 16:08:57 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 551

Agree, far too negative still.

That's still an issue for me, play with a bit more freedom and attacking intent now we've pulled away from the bottom.

By Freemo13/3 13:34Sat Mar 13 13:34:20 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 707

Permanent decline in exports = permanent profligacy in front of goal

Not an immediate disaster but a slow drip-drip that will cost us in the long run.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)13/3 12:50Sat Mar 13 12:50:57 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 778

1 and 2, spot on.

3. Read was an early contender for POTS when played regularly. Tenacious, mobile and able to play at a good tempo. He didn't win POTM and a few MOTM awards for nothing.

He has had very little action since Lines came in, (and Lines is better when he's on his game but he maybe needed a rest as his form has dropped last 2-3 games).

Our central midfield options, Smith, Lines, Read, Pett and Vincelot are pretty strong, none of them scare me on the team sheet.

Add Carter, Osborne into that mix as both could play in the middle in a more attacking role.

Midfield isn't a weakness if we use it right.

By jayess13/3 13:15Sat Mar 13 13:15:34 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 710

Understood. Opinions differ. Read is technically good and industrious, but in the final analysis I think his game lacks end product.
Players do improve, of course. List is a good example. There were always fleeting glimpses of the player he could be;
now with the confidence goals bring he is a constant threat. Watch his goal against Harrogate again. Initially it looked like a defensive error, but in fact List flicked the ball over him with the side of his foot. A contender for goal of the season.
I suspect we are in serious danger of losing him for nothing unless we can get his signature on another contract before his 24th birthday. TVC is younger, therefore compensation awaits if he goes.
Considering TVC started the season as fourth choice centre back, his progress has been extraordinary.

By Owen B13/3 12:11Sat Mar 13 12:11:18 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 787

Completely agree with 1&2 and was discussed on the Orient match thread (I wanted to throw my laptop out of the window when List was playing wide).

On 3, I think that's a little harsh given his limited game time recently.

By Old_man13/3 12:30Sat Mar 13 12:30:44 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 767

In am sure that Read's problem is just a lack of game time and was disappointing last time out, but on form he is buzzing.

By Bragbury10613/3 12:08Sat Mar 13 12:08:31 2021In response to Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 818

what did you have to much red wine last night.

By jayess13/3 12:11Sat Mar 13 12:11:16 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 776

Depends what you class as too much.

By Bragbury10613/3 13:47Sat Mar 13 13:47:22 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 666

a bottle of red and straight to bed.
San Migs all-day + a pie.

By jayess13/3 14:00Sat Mar 13 14:00:46 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 654

Thanks doctor. I'll try and remember that.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)13/3 12:45Sat Mar 13 12:45:17 2021In response to Re: Worrying timesTop of thread

Views: 767

There is no such thing.

Previous thread: BoroGuide Match Preview: Southend (A) by Pete13/3 08:25Sat Mar 13 08:25:59 2021view thread