Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Carter by ChudsToday 12:14Today at 12:14:34view thread

Oldest article: Roles and Hector-Ingram by Chet Manley9/3 18:44Tue Mar 9 18:44:14 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Difficult to judge against 10 men by Balders20/3 18:54Sat Mar 20 18:54:17 2021view thread

Our Mentality / Moving into Next Season

By AgentEves16/3 21:47Tue Mar 16 21:47:26 2021

Views: 1560

So I think, for the most part, people are pretty content with the way things have gone during the second half of this season. We're slowly creeping up the table, unbeaten in 8 games, and not conceding many goals. We have kept up the good defensive record, but we now win more games than we lose.

The main criticism at the moment is the 0-0 draws. No-one wants to see them as regularly as we have seen them, and I know I'm not alone in preferring that we attacked games more often. We have shown on a number of occasions that we're capable of doing so successfully and it would be so much more inspiring if we didn't appear to approach every game as if we are happy with a draw.

That said, the more positive spin is that the 0-0s have now become the 'negative' results, since they are coupled with more wins than losses. There have been 19 games since our 4-0 loss away at Carlisle on December 12th. Of those 19 games, we have lost 3 (2 of which were by a single goal), drawn 9 (6 of which were 0-0) and won 7. Although the 0-0s are frustrating, things have improved. It isn't perfect, but it's definitely better than it was last season.

However, I will continue to be frustrated by the 0-0s, because I strongly feel that we could have turned a lot of those 0-0s into wins, simply by being more positive. We don't need to abandon our defensive solidity in pursuit of winning games, we just shouldn't enter games with such a defensive mindset. We are better than that.

Had our form over the past 19 games been our form over the 34 games we have played this season, we would have (approx) 13 wins, 16 draws and 5 losses, which would give us 55 points and put us in 8th place, 1pt off the playoffs. If you add to that a little less of a defensive mindset where we turned 1/4 of our draws into wins, 1/4 into losses, and 1/2 remained draws, we would have picked up an additional 4pts, which would have us in 4th, 3pts off top spot. We aren't relegation fodder anymore. We are playing like a playoff-contending team. We have to approach games with that mindset.

Moving into next season we have to take the next step. Assuming we can keep the bulk of this team together (obviously I understand the loanees will go back to their parent clubs), and can add players of a similar calibre, I really want to see us heading into games with a positive mentality. Instead of fearing teams, and considering ourselves lucky to come away with a draw, we have to try to win every game we play. We are better than holding out for 0-0s most weeks.

I'm overall feeling pretty positive now that I have crunched the numbers. I hadn't appreciated quite how much better this season has been than last. I just want to see us take the next step, especially moving into next season.

Edited by AgentEves at 22:38:26 on 16th March 2021

reply to this article | return to the front page

11 people like this 11 people

Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next Season

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)17/3 22:06Wed Mar 17 22:06:01 2021In response to Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 891

I look forward to seeing which strikers we play on the wings next season.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)17/3 22:09Wed Mar 17 22:09:07 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 862

Next season it's the centre backs turn on the wings silly.

By BuccyPrague17/3 06:10Wed Mar 17 06:10:32 2021In response to Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1312

The bottom line is most of the team is shit and the manager is shit. A lot of changes need to be made for us to be anything than a mid to bottom table League 2 side.

2 people like this 2 people

By AgentEves17/3 21:12Wed Mar 17 21:12:06 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1010

The jury is still out on Revs, for me. I can't help feeling like he is a more cautious/defensive minded manager and that we will always see the team set up with the primary objective being not to concede. I also have question marks on what he considers a decent striker. If List is played on the wing for any of our remaining games, I think I will probably be firmly moved into the "he's a shit manager" camp.

I simply can't agree that the team is shit, though. It's just not true. We aren't top-of-the league quality, but we certainly aren't shit. We have some weak links, and our strength outside our starting 11 isn't great, but there are a few decent players in there, and some very good ones. Cuthbert and TVC is an excellent L2 CB partnership. List is good for 15-20 goals a season if he is played up front consistently. Pett is top-end League Two quality. Wildin would make an excellent League Two winger. I also think Osborne will become a quality player for us, whether that's as a wide-playmaker or in the middle. We need to fill in the gaps (full backs, left wing) and add another hard-working pressing forward (so we aren't so reliant on Newton playing 90 mins every game) as well as a combative midfielder to replace Vincelot. But the foundations are there for us to push on next season. We just need to be more ambitious.

My only question mark is whether Revs is the man to push us forward, or if he is going to continue with the 'we are a small team and should be happy with a point' mentality. I think if we start next season with a negative approach to games, I will lose faith in Revs pretty quickly, and I suspect many others will too.

Edited by AgentEves at 21:13:13 on 17th March 2021

1 person likes this 1 person

By BuccyPrague18/3 15:12Thu Mar 18 15:12:15 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 853

In my court.. He's guilty of being shit m'lord.

Last season we were relegated. But then only saved because 1 club folded and the other was deducted enough points to put them below us.

Look at this season. Up until January / February we were shit. You can't gloss over it. That was down to having too many shit players and a manager who is currently shit. Probably because he is yet to get the proper experience behind him. But at the moment he is still shit. His decisions are jaw droopingly stupid. It's also like he doesn't really know his players best playing positions. Then when he does finally put 2 and 2 together, he then changes it the following week.

I can't understand why and how you can say you are happy with what's on display at the moment.

When we need a goal.. Rev's will bring on a defender.. or he will take off a striker for another striker.. Even me... I'll hold my hand up and say I would also be a shit manager.. But, even I know if you want to try and get a cheeky goal then you need to bolster your attack / attacking midfield. But not our manager... ohhh Lets bring on a defender or someone else and play them out of position.

Even in our glory days, Conference to L2, L2 to L1.. We had a great team.. But.. We were still punching above our weight in L1. But that team would finish Top 5 every season in L2 without doubt.

The team we have now.. and the manager... As I said in my original post.. We would be very lucky to finish Mid table.. more likely we would be in a scrap with the bottom 4.

I for one wouldn't want to watch that week in week out.

By Handyandy119/3 08:35Fri Mar 19 08:35:14 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 671

Rev's is more concerned about getting us as high as possible up the table right now. If it comes to yet another 0-0, so be it. Any port in a storm as they say. Then we go in for Messi and Ronaldo at the end of the season. Our defence is as tight as a ducks bottom, we ain't going down. Look forward to some sparkling champagne style football come August.

By AgentEves18/3 17:19Thu Mar 18 17:19:32 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 699

"Look at this season. Up until January / February we were shit."

I have. I literally talked about it in my original post. Things turned around after the 4-0 loss to Carlisle. In the 19 games since then, we have only lost 3 times. I'm not glossing over us being shit, there are facts that prove we are not.

Again, as per my original post, if our form from those 19 games had been the same all season, we would be 7th. And, if we had turned 1/4 of our draws into wins by going for it (off-set by 1/4 of our draws ending in losses where going for it doesn't pay off) we would have an additional 4pts which would put us 3rd.

Our form over the last 19 games isn't gloss. It's fact.

I don't like the 0-0 draws. I'm also frustrated with Revs and I do have question marks over his ability. I am closer to thinking he's shit than I am to thinking he's good. I am almost certain that our turn in form and results is down to Wilkins and that we have been playing better in spite of Revs, not because of him. But there's nothing to prove that. It's pure speculation based on the fact that we were playing badly before Wilkins came in, and we haven't been playing badly since.

I'm not happy with what's on display at the moment, overall. Like I said, I'm frustrated with how negative we are. We should be trying to win more of the games where we seemingly are happy with a draw. But my point was that things are better than they were last season and at the start of this season. The results don't lie. I also went on to say that we need to see more next season, and we need to be less negative. So, honestly, I'm not sure what you're arguing about.

By BuccyPrague18/3 18:04Thu Mar 18 18:04:05 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 870

You like using the word "if"

If we won all our games we would be top of the league!!!

Unfortunately IF's don't get us anywhere.. They are only there for people who don't want to admit what's in front of their eyes and want to cling onto some sort of fake hope.

The only thing that will make us better, is better players and an experienced Manager.

I know things are tough right now for finances due to Covid. They will also be tough in the future due to fans not wanting to pay to watch the games due to the displays and results that are currently being served up.

By SFCfox18/3 19:35Thu Mar 18 19:35:26 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 762

Better players will make us better? Bloody hell do you know the winning lottery numbers?

I'm pretty content with this season and if we improve in one or two areas we can definitely push on next season. The performances really aren't as bad as you're making out but, whatever suits your agenda.

Edited by SFCfox at 19:42:47 on 18th March 2021

By BuccyPrague19/3 16:47Fri Mar 19 16:47:27 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 769

If you are content with what's happened this season. Then I pity you for your lack of excitement and entertainment in football games.

What has happened this season is a shambles. Phil said he learnt his lesson from last season and it will never happen again. Scraping out a 0 - 0 draw is not what I call exciting.

For many games this season we didn't even have a shot on target in the whole 90 minutes. That is pathetic.

If it wasn't for list.... Where would we be now.

I'm sure when crowds do return there will be a lot more empty seats. A majority of fans will not pay their hard earned cash to watch a 0 - 0 draw. If that's the best Rev's can manage at the moment... Well... The rest as they say is history.

Edited by BuccyPrague at 16:50:35 on 19th March 2021

3 people like this 3 people

By AgentEves19/3 18:25Fri Mar 19 18:25:48 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 761

"Phil said he learnt his lesson from last season and it will never happen again."

Are we bottom? No. So I don't know why you've quoted this.

"Scraping out a 0 - 0 draw is not what I call exciting."

No-one is saying it is?

"If it wasn't for list.... Where would we be now."

If...

"I'm sure when crowds do return there will be a lot more empty seats. A majority of fans will not pay their hard earned cash to watch a 0 - 0 draw."

Firstly, this isn't true. We won't attract new fans, and the interest from floaters may wane, but the majority of fans are not going to boycott going to watch games.

If you watch Stevenage for the quality of the football then I'd suggest you're watching for the wrong reason. That doesn't mean that poor performances are OK because "What do you expect, it's League Two", I'm just saying that many, many fans support Stevenage because of the community aspect. People who want to watch the best standard of football aren't watching League Two.

Are you even reading the replies you're getting? It's like your replies don't make any sense in response to the comments you're replying to. You're putting words in people's mouths and then arguing with them about it.

No-one is saying this season has been entertaining. Not one single person is talking about us being entertaining, barring maybe 1 or 2 games. No-one is "happy" with the football on display. But we can still see the facts that the second half of this season is an IMPROVEMENT over the first half of this season, and all of last season. Being improved doesn't mean it's perfect, it just means it's better than it was. I'm not sure why that is so difficult to comprehend. Other than, of course, because you're not actually reading what people are saying.

By Owen B19/3 18:57Fri Mar 19 18:57:55 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 661

Can you repeat that please? I wasn't listening.

By Sev19/3 17:51Fri Mar 19 17:51:34 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 812

Think you need to readjust your expectations.

If you look at the improvement on the previous season there is a huge difference and step forward.

Not many teams go from relegation fodder to champions the next season, especially during an unprecedented pandemic and the uncertainty pre season with what league we would be in.

Next season I'm sure we will all want to see further improvement and challenging for playoffs for example, but this season was, at least since Wilkins arrived, a welcome respite from being absolute shit.

5 people like this 5 people

By Handyandy123/3 08:33Tue Mar 23 08:33:49 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 498

Yes, spot on Sev. Some people on here have ridiculous expectations, it makes me laugh. We're doing ok, especially since Mr Wilkins arrived. I think some people think we have a Man City type budget sometimes.
We're a budget team. The football might not be all that exciting, ok not exciting at all sometimes, but I'd have settled for mid table at the start of the season. I think most of us would.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)23/3 12:44Tue Mar 23 12:44:24 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 478

Budget team? Pound shop team more like.

No, scrub that. A charity shop team.

No, not even that. A jumble sale team.

No, thinking about it, when people leave things at the end of their path with a note saying " Help yourself" team.

No. A fly tipped down some country lane team.

By SFCfox19/3 17:06Fri Mar 19 17:06:39 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 770

It hasn't been great no but i didn't expect miracles when all we do every season is build a new squad.

Revs has cleared out the shit, signed players he can trust (and want to be here) and implimented, overall a better regime.

It takes time for squads to gel, for training methods to work. Look at Bolton, they were garbage up until January and now tuey're flying.

If you was expecting instant success and quality football then you support the wrong team.

By AgentEves18/3 18:42Thu Mar 18 18:42:39 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 706

We have lost 3 games out of 19. There's no 'if' about that.

You're also missing the point. We were capable of producing the results over the last 19 games, so it isn't outrageous to suggest that we could have produced similar results for the first 17 games as well. We haven't added that many new players. Norris is a downgrade from Newton. Martin has barely played. Neither have the loanees. The only addition that has featured regularly and improved the team is Lines, and our form had already turned a corner before he joined.

It's not like I'm saying "if we won more games, we'd be in a better position!" or even "we have won 6 in a row, if we had done that all season, we'd be top!" Clearly this team is capable of putting together results that are good enough for 7th, because we have produced those results for over 50% of this season. 19 games is a long enough stretch to suggest that our results are more than a temporary uptick in form.

Being content with our results over those 19 games isn't fake hope. Our results are fact. Losing 3 games out of 19 is legitimately good form. We have the 6th best results over that period since December 12th.

We need to add a few more players, agreed. I made that point originally. But the core of the squad is competent enough, and just needs to be supplemented. The players aren't shit. They're just not. You saying they are is just you being a negative Nancy.

I'm not sold on Revs, as I've clearly pointed out. Every negative setup edges me closer to writing him off completely. But Wilkins is clearly a positive influence and maybe, just maybe, his influence will help Revs turn a corner and not be so negative.

Our objective this season was to not repeat last season. We haven't repeated last season. Now we need to push on. Hopefully Revs soon realises that we are better than defending 0-0s every week and our results will improve even further.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)18/3 18:59Thu Mar 18 18:59:00 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 858

“We have lost 3 games out of 19. There's no 'if' about that.”

We’ve won around 3 too.

Edited by Paulio at 18:59:07 on 18th March 2021

By AgentEves18/3 19:20Thu Mar 18 19:20:58 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 868

7, actually.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)18/3 21:07Thu Mar 18 21:07:49 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 805

Sorry, I meant scored.

By The Professor (Mr. Eko)17/3 22:02Wed Mar 17 22:02:05 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 831

As long as Wilkins stays as his Assistant then I have every confidence that Revs will develop and grow into a good Manager.

By AgentEves17/3 23:03Wed Mar 17 23:03:44 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 819

I'd rather just have Wilkins in charge, tbh.

Why is it our responsibility to develop a young manager? We're not a charity. To save money, I assume. But since we can afford Wilkins as an assistant, I assume we could afford him as manager. He has clearly made a big difference. Give him the job, I say.

Edited by AgentEves at 23:04:57 on 17th March 2021

By Owen B18/3 06:33Thu Mar 18 06:33:09 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 939

It depends really. Maybe Wilkins doesn't want the job and it's considered that Revell has potential. But yes, I get your point 100%, the correlation between Wilkins coming in and a vast improvement in results is remarkable.

By SFCfox17/3 11:39Wed Mar 17 11:39:26 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1034

Nope.

By AgentEves17/3 04:54Wed Mar 17 04:54:57 2021In response to Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1287

Just realized we have played 36 games, not 34. So it would be 13 wins, 17 draws and 6 losses. So we'd have 1 more point, putting us 1 place higher in the league. Doesn't change much from the above sentiment, but just adding the correction for accuracy's sake.

By TomBoro16/3 22:53Tue Mar 16 22:53:00 2021In response to Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1270

I am all for building foundations of a winning team by being organised and strong defensively, but we need more of a threat and creativity in midfield. If we want fans to start turning up next season we need to offer some entertainment.

Our 36 league games this season have produced 59 goals (28 for, 31 against); averaging 1.64 goals per game. This makes us comfortably the least entertaining side to watch in England this season (from at least the top 8 levels of the pyramid and probably further down too).

By BedsBoro17/3 09:52Wed Mar 17 09:52:44 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1055

This is the biggest part for me - getting people through the gate. We can do all the deals, sponsorships and marketing initiatives we want but the number 1 thing that gets the floating fans attending - and that therefore leads to us having more money and not being forced to buy 45 players hoping 1 of them is good etc - is attacking football.

We actually have a competent defence now so should be able to push forward in numbers more effectively.

I work with at least 5 or 6 people that would attend, with their families, if they knew the football was entertaining, I'm sure lots more of us know others like that.

By AndyC18/3 07:16Thu Mar 18 07:16:31 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 918

We actually have a competent defence now so should be able to push forward in numbers more effectively.

Defence isn't just about the 5 players at the back, the same as the attack isn't just about the 2 up front. We go more gung ho, we concede more goals, as the defence doesn't have the protection in front of it

Edited by AndyC at 07:16:50 on 18th March 2021

By BedsBoro18/3 09:16Thu Mar 18 09:16:46 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 796

I agree, but there's a big difference between having Ben Nugent and TVC at the back. The pace alone means our midfield, even subconsciously, won't be looking over their shoulders worried about the defence rather than thinking about attacking.

By AgentEves18/3 17:22Thu Mar 18 17:22:57 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 781

Well we also retain possession substantially better with TVC than Nugent. No surprise Barnet are struggling with him in the team.

By Cruffers21/3 14:11Sun Mar 21 14:11:11 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 511

Invent hasn’t been in the Barnet team for about 3 months. I’m not if he’s even still at the club.

By Freemo18/3 18:47Thu Mar 18 18:47:39 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 859

I was looking at our back 5 last season compared to this on total appearances:

2019/20

Farman
Wildin
Nugent
Cuthbert
Stokes

2020/21

Cumming
Wildin
TVC
Cuthbert
Coker

Now if you ignore Stokes leaving in January, the constant injuries and toying around with three at the back last season, I'd say there's one glaring difference quality-wise, and to give you a clue I'm not convinced that Coker is awful.

By AgentEves18/3 19:22Thu Mar 18 19:22:21 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 874

TVC is the difference.

Coker isn't good.

By Freemo18/3 19:56Thu Mar 18 19:56:15 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 831

Yeah that was what I was driving at, I don't know where people would rank a disillusioned Stokes versus Coker but I'd have it close, and then there were the times he was actually Tyler Denton or even List.

By AgentEves18/3 21:35Thu Mar 18 21:35:03 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 785

Yeah, that's a very good point about Stokes vs Coker. Tyler Denton and Joe Leesley were undoubtedly worse, too.

In all fairness to Coker, he isn't the worst. We've definitely had left backs who are more of a liability. He's just very clearly not on the same level as everyone else.

His crossing is outstanding, in all fairness. He's another one (along with LJW) who might actually be better for us playing on the wing than at full back. I'm not convinced we couldn't find a better option who's actually a left winger, and we should probably be trying to find someone better, but at least he gets crosses in and I wouldn't be angry if we started the season with him as our starting left winger. I'd rather have him playing LM than Aitchison, who I think has been a massive disappointment.

Our team isn't far off being a pretty solid team across the board.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)18/3 23:24Thu Mar 18 23:24:54 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Agree about Coker, better as a winger than a FB, but, that said, he is an integral part of a bloody good defence.

I also agree about Aitchison, I had really high hopes for him and he's largely been a non-entity.

By Freemo18/3 21:49Thu Mar 18 21:49:25 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

I thought Leesley was better than some of the specialist left backs we've fielded...

Makes me realise that if Steve Guppy was playing now, on the basis that he could cross but not run, he'd be a bloody left back.

Aitchison I thought was good playing centrally and clearly is incapable of getting in the game as a wide player. Think Carter will be similar when he's back, in only being able to play as a 10 and we don't use one.
Neither will play with List or would be wasted if they did because we think we need someone to lump it to.

By AgentEves18/3 22:01Thu Mar 18 22:01:55 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 767

I don't know that we do (need someone to lump it to). That really comes down to coaching. If we concentrate on only getting players who are comfortable on the ball, and sign fewer players like Prosser, Nugent, etc, who can't pass the ball under pressure, we should be able to play through our midfield.

If Carter played as a 10, and List as a 9, I still think that might work. It's just heavily dependent on us not playing long ball, which we shouldn't be anyway, since we have a number of players who are good on the ball. No point playing players like Pett and Osborne in midfield if we just bypass them.

By Taz17/3 21:39Wed Mar 17 21:39:34 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 803

The best info I could find is that matchday income is about 70% of what a League 1/2 team has for income. This is a significant sum and it makes me wonder how so many teams are still in business. I know that we've traditionally been one of the better run teams (financially at least), so it will be interesting to see how others come out of this.
I'm not sure that attacking football is the key if it means losing, we can be as sexy football as we want, but if we're in the Conference we'll have lower crowds. Winning football is more likely to bring fans, although a combo of entertaining games AND wins would be the pinnacle.

By AgentEves17/3 21:14Wed Mar 17 21:14:44 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 813

A lot of people who have been fans for a long time are only watching at this stage out of loyalty. Even then, a lot of people have given up since they can't go to games. We are doing nothing right now to attract new fans. The football is abysmal, barring the odd good performance. And that isn't down to the players, it's down to Revs.

By AndyC18/3 07:14Thu Mar 18 07:14:24 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 767

We're not going to attract new fans in this situation, so no point trying to do anything other than finish as high as possible by not being beaten this season

By AgentEves18/3 17:27Thu Mar 18 17:27:54 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 743

Right now we aren't going to get new fans, but the pandemic isn't going to last forever (we hope). The point is that our current brand of football isn't going to attract any new fans ever. Obviously I'm not talking about literally attracting fans right now. It's not like the pandemic is going to end and then all of a sudden Revs is gonna go "Ok, we should probably play less negative now that the fans are back."

By Tucks17/3 11:21Wed Mar 17 11:21:40 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 977

Winning is a bigger draw than entertaining.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)17/3 11:54Wed Mar 17 11:54:58 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 954

Disagree.

By AgentEves17/3 21:16Wed Mar 17 21:16:16 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 805

Me too. I was more entertained by the draw with Morcambe than by the win against Harrogate.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))17/3 10:18Wed Mar 17 10:18:33 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1085

Entertaining means winning far more than you lose. Nobody gave a shit when we shitehoused everyone we played, because we were successful.

By AgentEves17/3 21:17Wed Mar 17 21:17:25 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 816

We weren't grinding out 0-0s and 1-0s all season though...

The football doesn't need to be quality football to be entertaining. Playing with urgency, desire and ambition can be entertaining, even if the football remains agricultural.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)17/3 00:22Wed Mar 17 00:22:05 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1301

Who was it that said defences win leagues, attacks win games.

First job in May is to sustain our defence for next season, keep hold of what we can, accepting some of them are getting on a bit.

Then find someone who can work with List if we can keep him.

By imjake718/3 17:02Thu Mar 18 17:02:41 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 763

Fully agree - apart from List we have no other true frontmen

By AgentEves18/3 17:30Thu Mar 18 17:30:43 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 806

By 'true front men' do you mean good strikers? I think Newton is fine. He isn't great, but he's adequate until we unearth another gem. I also think he compliments List well. He shouldn't be the long-term solution, but he's fine, and will be a good squad player once we find someone better.

Norris and whoever else we have on the books should all be released.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)17/3 06:30Wed Mar 17 06:30:37 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1230

It was me who said that.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)17/3 08:35Wed Mar 17 08:35:30 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 1091

Oh, I thought it was someone clever.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)17/3 11:16Wed Mar 17 11:16:00 2021In response to Re: Our Mentality / Moving into Next SeasonTop of thread

Views: 965

No, It was just a Boro fan. Me.

Previous thread: POTS so far? by Copeysaurus22/3 09:57Mon Mar 22 09:57:53 2021view thread