Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: WATN - goalie edition by jayessYesterday 22:12Yesterday at 22:12:16view thread

Oldest article: Big Week by Boromatt23/1 17:56Sat Jan 23 17:56:16 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Match thread - Cambridge (A) by Owen B24/4 15:02Sat Apr 24 15:02:23 2021view thread

Squad for 2021-22

By worrier12/4 12:48Mon Apr 12 12:48:59 2021

Views: 1485

As Phil Wallace has stated in his notes that as we are now safe from the drop, we need to start to look at the squad and decide who stays, goes etc, so below is mine, which I am sure will get people to agree or disagree, but that's a problem as this is a forum:-

Keep

Goalkeepers
Johnson

Defenders
Wildin
Coker
Van Cooten
Cuthbert
Prosser
Marshall
Martin
Fernandez - loan out

Midfielders
Carter
Osbourne
Pett
Lines
Smith
Iontton - loan out

Forwards

List
Norris
Smyth - loan out

total squad after loanees returned to parent club and youth loaned out for experience =15

room to bring in another young defender, a central midfielder, 2 central forwards and 2 wide men = 21

LET GO

Fielding
Vincelot
Effiong
Marsh
Newton
Akinwande
Dinanga
Bancroft

Loanees Released

Cumming
Hutton
Read
Aitchison
Stevens
Roles
Hector-Ingram

reply to this article | return to the front page

Vincelot

By Hitchin Callling26/4 07:58Mon Apr 26 07:58:59 2021In response to Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 766

Sorry if already mentioned but per Revs he is retiring end of season.

Re: Vincelot

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)26/4 16:35Mon Apr 26 16:35:37 2021In response to VincelotTop of thread

Views: 521

Didn't get many games but bar one poor game, he's always done his job efficiently, mostly as a sub defending a point or three, (and hasn't been the nasty cynical arse Chuds said he would be).

Good luck to him. (Vincelot, not Chuds although I wish him well in his book-keeping and spreadsheetery too)

By Bumble26/4 17:42Mon Apr 26 17:42:45 2021In response to Re: VincelotTop of thread

Views: 462

Agree
I would like to wish him luck
Been a great Professional and had a decent career
Many slag players off(me included sometimes) but we must all show some respect when a player comes to the end of his career
Top Bloke

1 person likes this 1 person

By Freemo26/4 20:26Mon Apr 26 20:26:36 2021In response to Re: VincelotTop of thread

Views: 419

I thought he was asked to do too much early in the season and too little later on.

By Mr Happy SFC26/4 16:20Mon Apr 26 16:20:45 2021In response to VincelotTop of thread

Views: 498

Yes, we can expect to see more of him in the final games.

By Owen B26/4 12:34Mon Apr 26 12:34:56 2021In response to VincelotTop of thread

Views: 515

Fair play, all the best to him. Fulfilled a good squad role this season. I guess it was always going to be difficult to come back fully from his hip problems.

By SFCfox26/4 08:56Mon Apr 26 08:56:58 2021In response to VincelotTop of thread

Views: 606

Best of luck Romain! It's a shame you only played for us in the twilight of your career.

2 people like this 2 people

Re: Squad for 2021-22

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)12/4 17:41Mon Apr 12 17:41:44 2021In response to Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1218

I'd keep Vincelot if he's not too expensive. He's not played much but when he has he's done a decent job. Lines is getting on a bit and will pick up injuries.

Maybe now we are safe should we give Johnson, Smith and the other fringe players games ahead of the loans like Read and Cumming? See what they've got for next season.

Fernándes too may be worth a couple of games this season see if he's up to it now. Next season he either needs to start appearing on the bench and getting the odd sub appearance and B Team Trophy game. Still think he's got a very bright future but he's not going to wait forever, though Cuthbert's age and injury record means we could see more of Marshall and Fernándes next year.

Not sold on Norris, he's OK but he's nothing special. Not too fussed if he goes.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 17:45:39 on 12th April 2021

By AgentEves12/4 17:38Mon Apr 12 17:38:42 2021In response to Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1247

I'd prefer we kept Newton. He's not totally useless and is good off the bench, or as a starter if we don't find anyone better.

I'd also get shot of Prosser. Marshall is perfectly adequate and turns quicker than a shipping container on the Suez Canal. Plus he can fill in as a DM.

2 people like this 2 people

By Bumble12/4 19:52Mon Apr 12 19:52:30 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1090

Definately stay with experience where we can.
Both Scotty and Pross in the mix for me
With TVC by the side of one of them
Both leaders with experience, something that's hard to come by, on and off the Pitch.
Ask Tottenham. lol
Would love Cummings for another year
The back line stays with some additions where we can
Pett and Read main stays in the Middle
A younger Lines Clone would be nice.⁸
Not a big fan of Osborne or Carter
Norris has done OK
He was never going to be Prolific, everyone wants a 15/20 goalscorer.
List for me to play off someone with a good 1st touch.
Interesting pre season.
I do think there will be a Cull of players though.
The Great Reset as they say nowadays
We must becareful what we wish for
Stability is as important as pushing on
Small steps Chaps.

By AgentEves12/4 20:42Mon Apr 12 20:42:06 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1079

Another fantastic poem submission, Bumble.

I think you're right - experience is valuable. I just don't love keeping players around just because they're experienced, irrespective of their ability. I'd rather we started blooding in both TVC and Marshall - who realistically have both shown enough that they can be starters, and I think we could start thinking about forging a decent partnership between them. But that means both of them need to play regularly, preferably with each other. I don't think Scotty is past it, but he's not getting younger. I just don't think we need Cuthbert AND Prosser, personally. Having Cuthbert, Marshall and TVC is enough, especially since Martin can provide cover and, at an absolute push, so can James-Wildin.

I know Cummings is young, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's going to be playing for Chelsea anytime soon. I don't know when his contract at Chelsea is up, but if it's in the summer, I wouldn't be shocked if he was released. If not, then I don't think it's outrageous to think we could get him on loan for another season.

I think Pett does the job of Lines adequately that we could compliment Pett with something else. Maybe someone a little more attack minded (as opposed to a two-way player). I really don't think we need both of them doing the same job. I also don't know that we should be relying on a 35/36 year old box-to-box midfielder for an entire season.

I've been a little disappointed with Osborne lately, but I do still think he has potential. I'd like to see him and Pett in the middle as our starting pair next season. At least give Osborne a chance in his primary position. That's of course assuming Lines leaves/retires.

I agree that Carter hasn't really impressed me consistently, but he did look good when playing as a striker. I actually think him and List could work well as a pair, with Carter dropping deep, and supplying the ammunition for List to play on the shoulder of the last defender. This would also allow Pett to sit solely as a deep-lying playmaker, instead of trying to be both our deep-lying playmaker and our advanced playmaker as he is at the moment. I've actually been very impressed with Pett's defensive work recently too, so I don't think there's a desperate need for a ball-winning midfielder on a regular basis.

I give Norris stick, but he is exactly as you describe him: OK. I personally can't stand his attitude, and think he must be horrendous to play with because he just seems to throw a tantrum every time he doesn't get given the ball. That said, his goal return has been OK, and his general play is OK. He's not awful, he's not just not very good at anything. He's like a 5/10 for everything. Personally I'd rather Newton, who's a 10/10 in some things and a 2/10 in others, but that's just my preference. I also think Newton's attitude and work ethic is infectious in a positive way, whereas Norris' attitude has the potential to be a negative influence. If we started losing, I'd have serious concerns about how toxic a player like Norris could be amongst the group. But, of course, I'm speculating based on his conduct on the pitch. Maybe he's a nice bloke. I'd be shocked if I was wrong, though.

I don't expect a 15/20 goal a season striker, although I actually think List is that player. 10 goals is a perfectly reasonable return, which is likely what Norris will get this season (including his goals at Colchester). Like I said above, I'd just prefer someone with a better attitude.

I think we will see more players leave than we expect, and I think we'll end up being disappointed about a few. We always are. I wouldn't be shocked to see Carter, Osborne, Marshall, Martin, Newton all get released. I hope they don't, but I wouldn't be totally surprised. I would prefer we kept them and tried to build on what we have, rather than clearing the decks, but such is the life of League Two football, I suppose.

Edited by AgentEves at 20:45:29 on 12th April 2021

By Bumble12/4 22:43Mon Apr 12 22:43:31 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 996

Good Post Sir
Can't disagree with most of that.
For me outside Cuthbert and Prosser I cannot see a leader in the Pack.
A leader/Leaders is much needed at a club especially, around the up and coming players.
No one should under estimate that need, much needed around a younger squad for the future.
Hence for me Prosser or Cuthbert either in or out, the continuity remains, and both defensive record this season says that.
Oil tanker or not, or lack of pace in both.
I think both deserve some respect on their careers, and nothing tells me either have come to the end yet.
Although I do think Prosser will be released unfortunately due to finances.
I also think Norris is still a better option than Effiong.
Agree not a big scorer and when you see his goals in the past they mainly came via the Penalty spot. Believe it or not!
I doubt he would get any team promoted.
Bless him. His attitude can grate.lol
Interesting conversations now we are somewhat safe
How a few months changes what we want
Firstly to stay up, to now deciding who we want in next year. As I said, Interesting.

By AgentEves12/4 23:34Mon Apr 12 23:34:49 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 920

Yeah, you make a good point about a lack of leadership. Although it's possible that there are leaders in there, they're just not the Terry Butcher/Steven Gerrard type of leaders. But your point is still a good one. Not many stand out as leaders. I think that was a huge problem last year.

I'm not surprised that a lot of Norris' career goals have come from penalties. Nothing about him makes me think he's a goal scorer. Even a 10-12 goal a season striker. I'm not entirely convinced that his header the other week wasn't a case of the ball hitting him and going in, rather than a quality header. It looked to me like whoever jumped in front of him missed it, and it hit him by surprise. Maybe I'm being harsh. I just can't fucking stand him.

As a side note, I wish they marked penalty goals differently, like they do sub appearances. 16 (88) or something like that, to show 16 goals, 88 penalty goals. They're obviously still goals (before someone comes in with the "do penalties not count as goals then?" comment) but it isn't a representation of someone's goal scoring abilities. I could be a world class penalty taker and still be shit at football.

I honestly think Effiong might have come good if he had more time in the team. But we will never know.

I'm just glad I don't have to watch Nugent anymore. None of our current crop are as bad as he was. Not even close.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)12/4 18:04Mon Apr 12 18:04:50 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1178

Norris > Newton

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)12/4 19:02Mon Apr 12 19:02:11 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1030

They do a different thing. He's a far better finisher and can hold the ball up well, but he doesn't defend from the front and isn't anywhere near as good in the air.

And he's shit at pelanties.

By AgentEves12/4 20:47Mon Apr 12 20:47:57 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1058

He also seems like a total wanker. And not in a good way. In a if you don't lay it on a plate for me I'm going to throw a tantrum way.

I'd rather have Newton, even if he isn't as good. He'll still chip in with 8-10 goals in a season, and won't totally destroy the morale as soon as we start losing. He is actually someone I want to cheer for.

By RockyBottom12/4 22:33Mon Apr 12 22:33:05 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 921

My concern with Newton is he spends too long out injured.

As I side before, we badly need more options in wide areas.

Edited by RockyBottom at 22:34:06 on 12th April 2021

By AgentEves12/4 23:35Mon Apr 12 23:35:39 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1013

It's true.

What have his injuries been? I assume they're mostly soft tissue injuries right?

By Hitchin Callling12/4 13:25Mon Apr 12 13:25:25 2021In response to Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1262

In general agree. Like to keep Read if we could but suspect he will be loaned out again to Lg1 club.Think Iontton & Smyth will be released plus possibly Marshall.
Also think we need to start playing Fernandez.Not sure why we would release Bancroft. He deserves a chance surely
PS Marsh has already gone

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)12/4 13:09Mon Apr 12 13:09:35 2021In response to Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1211

Keep:
LJW
Coker
Cuthbert
TVC
Marshall
Carter
Osborne
J Smith
Pett
Lines
List
Martin

Take or leave dependent on their wage:
Prosser
Vincelot

No opinion:
Billy Johnson
Jamie Fielding
Luiz Fernandez
Liam Smyth

Release:
Iontton
Effiong
Marsh
Newton
Akinwande
Dinanga
Norris

Loan players:

Of those who we can realistically sign, i wouldn't sign any of them.

Edited by CDawg at 13:15:32 on 12th April 2021

By Themessiah12/4 19:27Mon Apr 12 19:27:59 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1072

Marsh went back to Borehamwood no longer a stevenage player

By BasingstokeBoro12/4 13:36Mon Apr 12 13:36:06 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 1299

If we really are 'looking to next season' then I hope some of the loanees are benched / replaced by more realistic options.

For example, Cummings. He won't be playing League two football next year so might as well see if Johnson is up to it. If not, decision made.

Likewise, I am a big fan of Reed, but if he isn't staying then might as well put Smith in.

We want to start next season with just a few changes from how we finished this one. Not wholesale swaps like most seasons.

7 people like this 7 people

By SFC Jonny13/4 08:41Tue Apr 13 08:41:12 2021In response to Re: Squad for 2021-22Top of thread

Views: 993

If Read is available though, I think we should sign him,or extend the loan for another season. Useful player to have in the side.

Previous thread: Late Cambridge prediction by Bragbury10624/4 14:51Sat Apr 24 14:51:44 2021view thread