Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Stevenage Women v AFC Wimbledon by BaldersToday 15:01Today at 15:01:46view thread

Oldest article: BoroGuide Match Preview: Leyton Orient (A) by Pete9/3 15:22Tue Mar 9 15:22:00 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: East Coast Boro by Deltic 2122/4 13:30Thu Apr 22 13:30:40 2021view thread

The Gary Smith era

By LancashireLadPNE7/5 19:14Fri May 7 19:14:17 2021

Views: 1499

Hi Guys

A Preston fan in peace. I’m a huge north end fan and have a old working knowledge of Boro from our terrible Westley era and there many players who made the trip up north back then.

I’m also a fan of Nashville SC on MLS, managed by Gary Smith. I am giving a UK fan perspective of on a Nashville Soccer (sorry to use that word) podcast in the near future.

I know nothing of Gary’s short stint with you boys but understand he replaced Westley and did manage you for a time before becoming a successful boss in the US.

Just wondered if you have any insight or stories of how he was for you.

With he’s created a hard to beat side who surprised all ‘experts’ in year one, year two has changed to attacking but flimsy at the back. Built a side of solid experience players at the level down the spine. Dora anything sound familiar to you or was the experience different?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: The Gary Smith era

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)12/5 20:11Wed May 12 20:11:56 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 487

Ignore all the naysayers on here. He was probably the best manager we ever had.

2 people like this 2 people

By bcb19949/5 22:48Sun May 9 22:48:47 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 815

I'd ignore all the negative replies on here. People are still butthurt that GW left for you guys and for some strange reason blame Gary Smith. Despite the fact he steadied the ship when GW came to nab our best players got us playoffs and then was unduly sacked when we were mid table in L1 the following season.

Then the season after Gary Smith was sacked we finished rock bottom of L1.

I'm a massive fan of GW, but some peoples hate for Gary Smith is truly bizarre if you look at his stats and the fact we got relegated the season after he was sacked. Gary Smith has done well wherever else he has ended up and that's testament to how good of a manager he was.

People moan about Stan Kroenke being a shit chairman who doesn't invest in his clubs yet Gary Smith was able to win a title with Kroenke in Colorado.

By AgentEves10/5 20:27Mon May 10 20:27:58 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 631

Yeah, this isn't true.

Miguel Comminges, Bondz N'Gala, Oliver Risser, Lee Hills, Greg Tansey... there were a lot of mercenaries and a lot of shit in that team. Lee Hills is potentially the worst player I've ever seen.

He also made some atrocious decisions - dropping Robbo, playing Tansey as a No.10 despite him being outrageously immobile, and dropping Luke Freeman. And then some slightly less bizarre decisions like refusing to even give Shroot a chance, despite him scoring for fun in pre-season playing as a no.10 behind Haber (not saying this would have worked, but his refusal to even try it, despite us being total shit, was always strange to me).

I don't really care that he has done well in MLS. Sure, Colorado are a tiny market team, and he did fantastically well to win an MLS cup with them, but MLS is SO bad that I think anyone with an ounce of tactical nouse would do reasonably well. And that's coming from watching a lot of MLS over the past few years. Most teams are disastrously unorganized, and given that Smith's forte was giving a team a good defensive grounding, it doesn't surprise me he has done well.

Smith wasn't as bad as most make out, but he wasn't at all good. He had a good little run which was largely from the momentum generated by Westley. There was a winning mentality there, and sure, Westley poached a few players, but Smith didn't know how to stop the slide after the 4-0 loss to Swindon. That was where it all went wrong. The wheels came off, and he quite clearly had no idea how to rectify it. He even said himself that he couldn't put his finger on what went wrong - the ultimate kiss of death. If you, as a manager, don't know how to turn things around, then you might as well pack your bags.

Like I say, he wasn't the worst, but he wasn't good, either.

4 people like this 4 people

By SFC Jonny11/5 11:41Tue May 11 11:41:01 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 597

Tansey scored some screamers though. Thought he was decent.

By SFCfox11/5 17:43Tue May 11 17:43:45 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 559

I couldn't stand Tansey, he was afraid of the ball.

By AgentEves11/5 17:24Tue May 11 17:24:21 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 472

He wasn't a no.10 though. He was a deep lying playmaker.

And scoring a few screamers doesn't make you a good player.

By Tucks11/5 17:17Tue May 11 17:17:36 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 462

He wasn’t as bad as some would have you believe. Wasn’t great either mind you.

By boroinyc (Spencer)10/5 23:28Mon May 10 23:28:28 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 513

Lee Hill's Wiki.... :-)

He now works as a Cybersecurity Recruiter, and is the best in the world at what he does.

1 person likes this 1 person

By jayess11/5 08:53Tue May 11 08:53:42 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 524

There was nothing secure about his defending.

By jayess10/5 22:30Mon May 10 22:30:28 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 530

Blimey, we entirely agree. Surely some mistake.

By Tucks10/5 11:38Mon May 10 11:38:36 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 637

This is the post that has tipped me from “does he really believe what he says?” to, “definitely a troll.”

By SFCfox10/5 10:02Mon May 10 10:02:04 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 626

We scraped in to the play-offs with GW's players.

The following season he blew a lot of money on rubbish and played extremely negative football.

Before you reply with 'Stevenage 4-0 Sheffield United' to back up your original comment, that was a one off and if anything only gave Smith an extra game which he blew when we lost to Bury.

3 people like this 3 people

By Jonnym811/5 21:21Tue May 11 21:21:20 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 498

This is pretty much how I recall it.

By Owen B10/5 06:35Mon May 10 06:35:52 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 637

Yeah, no one on here ever mentions that GW got us relegated from League 1...

5 people like this 5 people

By Ratman4610/5 08:35Mon May 10 08:35:57 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 809

Wherever he's had success Guppy was with him :-) Boro Legend.

By Eazy8/5 13:54Sat May 8 13:54:41 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 973

I’d have him over Peter Taylor or Teddy Sheringham. He’s on a par with Wayne Turner, and he nearly got us relegated from the Conference.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)8/5 14:16Sat May 8 14:16:00 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 990

Worst managers in order

Taylor
Westley MK 4
Sheringham
Westley MK 3
Smith
Turner
Dino

By Owen B8/5 14:19Sat May 8 14:19:35 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 942

Didn't Westley 3 get us into the play offs?

By Chet Manley (Paulio)8/5 14:22Sat May 8 14:22:36 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 941

Also got us relegated.

By Owen B8/5 14:23Sat May 8 14:23:47 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 935

Yeah fair. Probably balances out.

By Chet Manley (Paulio)8/5 14:26Sat May 8 14:26:49 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 898

I’d also have an * next to Sheringham to say in fairness to him, he didn’t have a fucking clue what he was doing and didn’t seem to have any interest in actually managing a club.

Edited by Paulio at 14:27:01 on 8th May 2021

By Owen B8/5 14:34Sat May 8 14:34:08 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 893

The decision to appoint him was a shocker. But then we all know this, it's a bit like digging up rabid corpses.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)8/5 12:24Sat May 8 12:24:30 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1178

Did well to see us into the play offs in a strong league 1. Both Sheffield sides, Huddersfield, Charlton, Preston, Brentford...

Although season following we were playing some horrendous stuff but we were never in danger of relegation thanks to a good start to the season.

I wasn’t a huge fan of him but I wouldn’t have sacked him though if I knew GW would be replacing him.

Edited by CDawg at 12:25:35 on 8th May 2021

By Chet Manley (Paulio)8/5 10:33Sat May 8 10:33:09 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1030

His arrival coincided with Leon Hunter coming in and fucking things up.

I don’t think he was a good manager, not a bad manager. Just didn’t get the right support from the club and fans.

By SFCfox7/5 23:36Fri May 7 23:36:11 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1101

On his part, he unfortunately took over from Westley. We had gone from doing the double over Sheffield Wednesday to getting tanked 4-0 at home to Swindon. He had to build a new squad from scratch and as a fan base who knew only success for the past three seasons, wern't ready for the reality.

He blew a lot of money on shite, but unless he finished in the top 10 the job was hiding to nothing from day one.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)7/5 20:33Fri May 7 20:33:56 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1162

Some valid comments below but for me he was always destined to be compared to the Wezzmeister and if he didn't deliver very good results he was never going to be popular.

He had no charisma and the fans just never warmed to him.

I didn't enjoy watching his team.

By Tucks7/5 20:32Fri May 7 20:32:05 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1115

Majority of his signings were mercenaries and he never took his hands out of his pockets.

By Owen B7/5 20:15Fri May 7 20:15:44 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1177

I can't put my finger on it.

By Freemo7/5 20:14Fri May 7 20:14:15 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1117

Dunno what expectations are in the MLS but he was hopeless at the motivational interviews bit of being a manager, especially taking over from the Bantermeister.

We played a clearly defined formation and tried to play it out from the back, which was good, but for whatever reason the players would just pass between the back four before giving it away.

Once teams worked out to stop fouling Lucas Akins inside the box we were hopelessly timid away from home. He also loved signing people who never played a game of football again after leaving us.

Glad he has found a niche in the honky-tonk capital of the world.

Edited by Freemo at 20:15:27 on 7th May 2021

By Sev7/5 19:45Fri May 7 19:45:11 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1162

I think he was successful in the MLS before he joined us. He took Graham Westley's team to the League One playoffs as Wezza left in January for you guys. That team was incredible and anyone could have been in charge tbh.

I think the start of the next season we were 2nd after about 6 games having not lost. But things soon went downhill.

It was a tough gig as I think about 7 key long standing players left in the summer before his first full season and he had to build basically a whole new team in League One probably on a smaller budget than most other teams. Although we did spend money from the sales we made.

He brought in players that appeared to have some quality but ultimately never lived up to expectations

Marcus Haber, Lucas Akins, Greg Tansey, James Dunne, Antony Grant, Felipe Morais. Many went on to have successful careers elsewhere.

I don't really remember specifics in terms of how we played and he wasn't here long, the only success he had was riding on the wave of what Westley built.

Edited by Sev at 19:47:14 on 7th May 2021

By Mr Happy SFC8/5 13:00Sat May 8 13:00:13 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 968

The team he took over could have managed themselves that season. He can't take much credit for getting to the League 1 play offs.

By Pete (PeteH)8/5 13:34Sat May 8 13:34:29 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 897

Well, you could argue that Stimmo's 2007-8 side could've managed itself in the Conference playoffs. But Peter Taylor came in and managed us out of them...

By Mr Happy SFC8/5 15:02Sat May 8 15:02:03 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 896

You could.

By Pete (PeteH)7/5 20:24Fri May 7 20:24:56 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1107

I'm in the minority, but think Smiffy was sacked far too soon. We weren't having a great run in League One at the time – but we weren't going to get relegated. History has somewhat proved since that we punching above our weight and GS had the impossible task of rebuilding after the great GW/double promotion-winning side came apart.

In the end, he never even got a full season. Would he have taken us down the following season? Maybe. But GW came back on the job market and the chairman made his move. And we got relegated anyway.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

By jayess7/5 21:36Fri May 7 21:36:05 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1062

Entirely disagree. No, he couldn't stop the exodus to Preston, but he spent our biggest ever budget poorly.
He blew out Ronnie H, had the temerity to drop Robbo and let Luke Freeman get so unfit he couldn't pick him.
Any one of those is a hanging offence.

5 people like this 5 people

By Owen B7/5 20:34Fri May 7 20:34:37 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1172

Nah. Not for me. We fell off a cliff after the good start to the season. I mean we were so bad.

Edit: correcting an autocorrect error...!

Edited by Owen B at 11:07:59 on 8th May 2021

By Tucks7/5 20:33Fri May 7 20:33:13 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1148

Certain players were off but he ripped the playbook up more than necessary. The way he dealt with Ronnie Henry being a case in point.

By Sev7/5 20:36Fri May 7 20:36:39 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1103

He dropped Robbo at Brentford. That was the final straw.

But funny that he got sacked shortly after beating Sheffield United 4 nil, I think.

By Tucks8/5 14:15Sat May 8 14:15:41 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 910

I’d blocked that from my mind. In favour of Ben Chorley wasn’t it? Shudder.

By Ratman468/5 14:02Sat May 8 14:02:07 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 923

The game after, his football was awful to watch.

His treatment of Ronnie, Robbo and Freeman was what done it for me, especially with the shit he played instead.

Edited by Ratman46 at 14:02:37 on 8th May 2021

By Nick (Nick.)8/5 13:48Sat May 8 13:48:29 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 986

Hah, I remember vividly the reactions when we all found out Robbo was dropped that night. Any remaining support he had from us disappeared in about 60 seconds.

By SFC Jonny9/5 08:12Sun May 9 08:12:07 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 731

Haha I vividly remember swearing in Burger King when I saw the team sheet.

Looking back now, he had a tough job, and maybe he needed more time. But if you've come in as manager after the most successful spell in the club's history, results aren't going your way and the fans haven't warmed to you yet, then dropping the captain - a club legend - isn't the way to win people over.

Edit - I swear that Robbo was dropped at a home game? I may be misremembering

Edited by SFC Jonny at 08:15:11 on 9th May 2021

By Nick (Nick.)9/5 22:45Sun May 9 22:45:00 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 670

According to the BOROGUIDE :)... he was still on the bench for the home game after, so probably that?

https://www.boroguide.co.uk/seasons/match/1817/

By Chuds8/5 20:26Sat May 8 20:26:48 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 786

I thought I handled it rather well.

By Nick (Nick.)9/5 22:42Sun May 9 22:42:18 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 610

Didn't you give Smith the middle finger that night?

By Chuds9/5 23:09Sun May 9 23:09:06 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 668

I did indeed.

By Nick (Nick.)10/5 08:29Mon May 10 08:29:32 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 640

Good times. Highly enjoyable night that doing all four pubs around Griffin Park.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)8/5 16:14Sat May 8 16:14:57 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 960

Who would have played CB that night as I remember Ash was injured. Chorley and Bondz?

By Nick (Nick.)8/5 16:44Sat May 8 16:44:32 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 848

Darius and Chorley apparently - Robbo and Bondz were on the bench.

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2013/02/12/england/league-one/brentford-fc/stevenage-borough-fc/1294528/

By Pete (PeteH)8/5 22:10Sat May 8 22:10:16 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 825

Support your local poet.

/www.boroguide.co.uk/seasons/match/1816/

By Nick (Nick.)9/5 22:43Sun May 9 22:43:14 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 614

Forgive me (and blame Google for not making Boroguide the first site I saw!).

By Pete (PeteH)10/5 08:16Mon May 10 08:16:57 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 631

Can't argue with that. Not sure why that particular game is having such a rough ride in the SERPs...

By Sev8/5 17:08Sat May 8 17:08:32 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 904

No Andy Iro? haha

By Owen B8/5 17:27Sat May 8 17:27:02 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 783

I don't believe Andy Iro actually existed.

By Sev7/5 20:29Fri May 7 20:29:03 2021In response to Re: The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1099

I agree it was (almost) an impossible task and yeah sacking after not even a full season of his own team was harsh. I think we would have ended up in League 2 eventually whatever.

Edited by Sev at 20:29:19 on 7th May 2021

By Taz7/5 19:35Fri May 7 19:35:27 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1105

He was more successful in MLS before he came to us. Won the MLS Cup with Colorado Rapids, with Steve Guppy (an ex-Boro player) as his assistant, who he has with him once again at Nashville.
Fact of the Day - Guppy was the first player to win at both the old and new Wembley.

By Bragbury1067/5 19:24Fri May 7 19:24:56 2021In response to The Gary Smith eraTop of thread

Views: 1204

for some reason he never took his hands out of his pockets.
did not do to bad with stevenage but he does seem to do better over the water.

Previous thread: Luke Norris by Sev6/5 17:57Thu May 6 17:57:32 2021view thread