Next thread: Joe Martin by imjake718/6 17:28Fri Jun 18 17:28:58 2021view thread

UEFA C Licence Coach

By LoudmouthBFC (weststand93)11/6 23:26Fri Jun 11 23:26:11 2021

Views: 1285

UEFA C Licence Coach Vlog! Level 2!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1uBecLI0M

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: UEFA C Licence Coach

By AgentEves14/6 17:48Mon Jun 14 17:48:49 2021In response to UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 784

I feel like your criticisms of the course are a bit unfair. The point of the FA Level 2 license is to teach people how to properly structure a training session. It isn't about the actual content, but more about how to deliver the content.

For the average volunteer coach, the Level 2 is a good course. It helps those people who turn up to a training session and just organize a game for an hour, because they don't know what else to do. Let's be real, how many sessions when you were growing up as a kid consisted of 15 minutes of mindless shooting at the goal and then a match?

Your complaints that every coach is taught exactly the same feels like you're missing the point. The Level 2 course isn't about teaching tactics, it's about teaching skilled-based sessions. The skill-technique-game structure (I assume that's still what they're teaching) allows a coach to properly structure their session in a way that progresses through three clearly defined sections and allows the players to practice the skill-of-the-day through increasingly difficult scenarios (unopposed, opposed, and a game scenario). If you're teaching your team about tactics, then you wouldn't use the skill-technique-game model, you'd use the model you get taught on the Level 3 course (which is more about using in-game scenarios to introduce and solve problems). The same goes for fitness - which you also complained about - because obviously you don't use the skill-technique-game scenario for fitness either.

So while your point about being able to do whatever you want as soon as you pass the course is true, hopefully most people don't just abandon what they learned. And if they do, what was the point in taking the course? The 'skill-technique-game' model is a good one, and would vastly improve the majority of training sessions.

1 person likes this 1 person

By LoudmouthBFC (weststand93)15/6 19:24Tue Jun 15 19:24:43 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 516

I'm guessing you are either a FA tutor or someone that put this course together. If it's all about how you say it is, then why do so many ex pros and even non pros. Look to go either abroad or with different British FA's to complete their badges?

By AgentEves15/6 20:14Tue Jun 15 20:14:35 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 554

I'm neither. I'm just someone who did the course a few years ago.

The reason so many people go abroad to do their Level 3 is because there are so few places available with the English FA to do the Level 3 and 4 (aka UEFA B & A). And, as Taz says, it's because it's almost always cheaper abroad. Also, the Level 2 course isn't for ex-pros and people coaching at the elite level. It's for amateur coaches.

I obviously can't speak for how your course was taught, but I stand by my opinion on what the course is intended to teach you. Whether you're teaching football, tennis or maths, it is important that the lesson includes progression in order to continually challenge the learner. In my opinion, the skill-technique-game model allows most coaches to build a session that accomplishes exactly that, without having to think too much about how to do it.

In case this model wasn't what you were taught, the idea is that the "skill" component is where you teach the player how to perform a specific skill (let's use shooting as an example) in a controlled, unopposed setting. The players concentrate on their technique, the different types of shot, and the position of the goalkeeper, without having to worry about pressure from a defender. The focus is purely on learning the "skill" of shooting. Then, in the "technique" component, you add in defenders. This means that players no longer have to only think about the type of shot, their technique, and the position of the goalkeeper, but they also have to factor in the defender. The focus is on learning the "technique" of getting a shot on goal while under pressure. Then, finally, the "game" component allows players to practice what they have learned in a fluid, game-like scenario where they aren't placed in specific, controlled scenarios. The focus is on learning the decision making required not only for the type of shot, but their movement off the ball, when to shoot vs when to pass, and all the other factors they are likely to experience in a game.

I'm curious what part of the skill-technique-game model you don't like? Is it purely because it doesn't work for fitness and tactics sessions? What would be the usual structure of one of your sessions?

Edited by AgentEves at 20:17:32 on 15th June 2021

By LoudmouthBFC (weststand93)16/6 19:08Wed Jun 16 19:08:02 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 406

Anyone can sit and regurgitate stuff they've learned. I beat to the sound of my own drum and will teach how I want to teach. I fucking hate coaching, have always said that from day one. I will tell them what I want, go and do it. If you can't or won't. I will replace you. I'm not in this game to hold your hand and be your football friend. I get paid to do a job that needs to being success. I'd admit I'd be a cunt to work for, if I don't see you doing what I think or know you can do. But I'll also be the best to you if you repay me.

Tough love is how all winners in the game have silverware to show for it.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)16/6 22:03Wed Jun 16 22:03:41 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 362

Are you a parody?

I looked up the definition of 'a coach' and of 'coaching' and they don't quite match your explanation. Ml

Still, if you've won trophies who am I to question your approach.

By LoudmouthBFC (weststand93)16/6 22:43Wed Jun 16 22:43:31 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 399

I think most of you have missed the point, not really surprising being Stevenage Borough fans. A manager tells his staff what he wants from them. I.E his coaches, they then enforce his philosophy. Guardiola is a manager and has a team of coaches who do all the work, he over sees it all and implements as time goes on. The badges are just hoops you need to jump through in order to get a job in the game. Just money grabbing really. Why do I need a piece of paper that allows me to tell someone how to kick a ball?

By AgentEves17/6 17:53Thu Jun 17 17:53:41 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 326

You know, it's ok to admit you're wrong?

By LoudmouthBFC (weststand93)17/6 19:38Thu Jun 17 19:38:36 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 358

This was fun, cheers lads.

By Taz16/6 23:25Wed Jun 16 23:25:52 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 324

The piece of paper doesn't allow you to teach someone to kick a ball, it shows you've been through some form of training that shows you have been given guidance by someone with more experience than you on how to coach effectively.

The fact you look at it as 'jumping through hoops', instead of 'being exposed to new information to help you be a better coach' says more about you than you have the self-awareness to realise.

As Balders said, you shouldn't be allowed near coaching. You clearly have no intention to actually coach anyone, you don't understand the importance of the role, and by your own admission you have no interest in developing or helping people improve.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)16/6 23:04Wed Jun 16 23:04:22 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 325

Because telling someone how to kick a ball is teaching.

And to be a half decent teacher you need to understand how to teach effectively.

Otherwise anyone could just walk into a classroom and crack on successfully.

Your ethos tells me you shouldn't be allowed near coaching.

By Owen B17/6 12:50Thu Jun 17 12:50:39 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 308

Dunning-Kruger is alive and well.

By AgentEves17/6 17:55Thu Jun 17 17:55:13 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 278

Something that never ceases to amaze me.

By AgentEves16/6 21:33Wed Jun 16 21:33:48 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 335

Interesting philosophy.

It's all well and good when more skilled players are available, but a large part of coaching is about developing the players you have. I find it interesting that someone involved with coaching would be so dismissive about the idea of helping a player improve. That is the essence of what coaching is. What you have described is more akin to a Director of Football or a General Manager (in the US/Canada).

Tough love isn't the abandonment of coaching and development. It's a lack of tolerance for those who use excuses as a barrier to their own success. Some players need developing to reach their maximum potential, especially younger players.

By Tucks16/6 20:26Wed Jun 16 20:26:23 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 361

What a load of bollocks.

2 people like this 2 people

By AgentEves16/6 21:36Wed Jun 16 21:36:31 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 324

LOL. And to think this person is actually allowed to coach people. Mental.

By RockyBottom17/6 13:54Thu Jun 17 13:54:01 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 287

Think someone is trying to live out past failed playing frustrations. He's in it for the 'glory' nothing else.

By Sev16/6 19:41Wed Jun 16 19:41:23 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 341

You sound like a Westley type manager :)

By Taz16/6 20:18Wed Jun 16 20:18:17 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 353

Westley is intolerant to crappy attitudes and people who aren't prepared to work for the common good. His goal is team unity above all else.

This guy barks orders at people and expects them to do what he says using fear as a "motivating" tool for performance, rather than identity as Westley did.

Essentially, he's admitting he's a poor coach who can't and won't actually develop people (aka 'coach') for improvement, and only wants people who 'can' and 'will' do whatever order is barked at them.

He probably makes 10 year olds do push ups when they lose the ball and has the whole team running laps if they concede a goal.

By Taz16/6 19:11Wed Jun 16 19:11:59 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 348

The 1970s want their approaching to coaching back.

By Freemo16/6 19:30Wed Jun 16 19:30:29 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 337

I imagine if you took over at a club doing badly and told all the shit players exactly what you thought of them and where they could go, you would end up painting yourself in a corner and relying on Patrick Reading and David Parkhouse to bail you out.

I imagine.

By Taz15/6 19:27Tue Jun 15 19:27:20 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 488

From what I've read, it's considerably cheaper elsewhere.

By Taz15/6 15:32Tue Jun 15 15:32:23 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 531

"So while your point about being able to do whatever you want as soon as you pass the course is true, hopefully most people don't just abandon what they learned. And if they do, what was the point in taking the course?"

Sadly, there are people who want certificates more than they want to learn something. Having the qualification is has higher value than being able to use it properly.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)15/6 17:51Tue Jun 15 17:51:18 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 503

"Having the qualification has higher value than being able to use it properly"

I have a few qualifications that support this hypothesis.

No-one lets me play with nerve agents despite all my sustifikats. It's PC gone mad.

By Bumble15/6 11:26Tue Jun 15 11:26:34 2021In response to Re: UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 582

And there Endeth the lesson.

Looking forward to the season now

By Boromoose11/6 23:44Fri Jun 11 23:44:22 2021In response to UEFA C Licence CoachTop of thread

Views: 1041

I thought you'd retired!

Previous thread: George Boyd Interview by Stevenage FC Interviews17/6 15:28Thu Jun 17 15:28:27 2021view thread