Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Is Revs the one? by Rob SBFCToday 10:53Today at 10:53:00view thread

Oldest article: The only downer on today.. by Mr Happy SFC6/3 17:15Sat Mar 6 17:15:31 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: WATN #7111588265 by Chuds27/6 14:42Sun Jun 27 14:42:00 2021view thread

New deals...

By Owen B26/6 11:36Sat Jun 26 11:36:01 2021

Views: 1177

New deals for Luther James-Wildin and Chris Lines. Looks like we're going to have a fairly settled squad going into next season.

reply to this article | return to the front page

4 people like this 4 people

Re: New deals...

By Hitchin Callling27/6 11:04Sun Jun 27 11:04:38 2021In response to New deals...Top of thread

Views: 562

Pleased but surprised at both.Thought LJW was going upwards and Lines to the Gas.
Perhaps with a striker that's us now sorted.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 11:15Sun Jun 27 11:15:02 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 523

We desperately need a winger still (although probably wouldn't use them even if we got one) or another creative attacking midfielder to replace Pett. I rate Osborne to do a job, but would like another.

And of course cover for the keeper and as LB as Coker surely won't play every game (unless we intend to use Fernandez, interested to see what happens with him and Marshall this season).

Other than that we are pretty set I reckon. Bring in another young striker to hope we strike gold but if not should still be covered with List, Norris and Daly.

By jayess27/6 11:37Sun Jun 27 11:37:09 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 506

I would say you need 6 strikers on the books (Carter might conceivably be classed as one). They tend to pick up injuries more often than other outfield players and it is sound to have at least 2 on the bench. This may of course be covered off by loanees.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Freemo26/6 15:12Sat Jun 26 15:12:27 2021In response to New deals...Top of thread

Views: 888

I'm tumescent.

Signing Lines on top of the other midfielders makes sense if we're expecting to rotate him, which I think would benefit him.

By BasingstokeBoro26/6 14:23Sat Jun 26 14:23:04 2021In response to New deals...Top of thread

Views: 928

Pleased, but so confused.

I can't keep up... What will our midfield look like? We seem to have signed loads of midfielders!!

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)26/6 12:28Sat Jun 26 12:28:33 2021In response to New deals...Top of thread

Views: 1075

Great news. Only lost Cumming and Pett then, and already strengthened too.

Yet we are still the joint-biggest odds for promotion with the bookies and you can get 5/1 on us finishing in the top seven.

We were in the top seven in form in the last 10, 15, 20, 25 & 30 games. In the past 30 games, two thirds of an entire season, only the four promoted sides and Tranmere bettered us.

Whilst trying to stay grounded, this is the most optimistic I have been about us since our promotion-winning side broke up.

5 people like this 5 people

By SFC Jonny27/6 09:59Sun Jun 27 09:59:01 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 602

Love the optimism.

I just hope our new keeper is a decent replacement for Cumming. He had an amazing season in goal and my only concern is that we are going for someone untested in such a crucial position.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fine and we'll be champions by Christmas.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 10:49Sun Jun 27 10:49:32 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 539

I really don't think Cumming did have an amazing season.

He is undoubtedly a top keeper and will have a very good career, and he did well, but he didn't pull off many saves or blocks you wouldn't expect any semi-competent keeper to make. It was just that the whole defensive unit was so solid (how much of that you put down to Cumming's organisation and communication, and the belief in him from his defenders, is to be seen). As a result I am pretty relaxed about us replacing him thisyear, unless we get in an Andy Woodman level replacement. And the new chap seems to have had a very good season and is very well regarded so I am pretty content with that.

I do actually think our apparent new policy on keepers is a decent one. We have seen down the years that a poor keeper really can heavily cost the team, so bringing in a keeper from levels above, who we otherwise couldn't afford, on the cheap is a good one, whilst trying to find our own good young understudy.

Edited by Chuds at 10:50:20 on 27th June 2021

By Owen B27/6 10:54Sun Jun 27 10:54:42 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 548

Also, bringing in Stockdale on loan last season shows that it's not a disaster if the loan no.1 is out injured for a period, it's still possible to bring in Champ/L1 level cover at short notice.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 10:58Sun Jun 27 10:58:35 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 544

Aye.

The only threat is that the keeper turns out to be shit (one would hope we have done enough due diligence to remove that threat) and because of the deal we will no doubt have in place it would cost us a lot more money to not play them, so we will we almost have to.

Sure he will be good though and we can continue our solid defensive record with the rest of the unit still in place (I am so happy Wildin signed on again).

By The Professor (Mr. Eko)27/6 09:51Sun Jun 27 09:51:04 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 559

Absolutely, yet still seeing deluded fans from other teams on social media have us as relegation certs…. hilarious.

By jayess26/6 21:16Sat Jun 26 21:16:51 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 689

14-1 for promotion on Betfair. Anyone seen better?

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 01:26Sun Jun 27 01:26:00 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 604

No. Biggest I have seen.

By jayess27/6 13:13Sun Jun 27 13:13:27 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 458

Just discovered promotion is 16-1 on BetVictor

By Owen B26/6 21:27Sat Jun 26 21:27:54 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 725

Sounds decent. Sky Bet is only 10-1.

By The Proclaimer26/6 18:15Sat Jun 26 18:15:02 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 799

Can you share the link with these odds. I think that’s a decent bet. I couldn’t find that bet anywhere online though.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 01:28Sun Jun 27 01:28:53 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 637

From what I have seen only three bookies currently have top 7 finish odds available.

SkyBet go 5/1
Will Hill go 7/1
BetVictor go 8/1

I have just had a bit of the 8/1 and will see what the various bookies offer for top half finish when the time comes.

By Owen B27/6 08:53Sun Jun 27 08:53:20 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 534

Those odds feel very tight considering we're probably something like 17-20th ranked in the division in terms of odds of winning outright.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 09:30Sun Jun 27 09:30:48 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 526

Tight as in not very good?

I have never backed us to win the league or be promoted or anything before, I have only backed us to be relegated as a consolation bet. But this year that has changed as I view those odds as being well off. Unless I am totally missing something I honestly believe the bookies have got our team very much mistaken this year and the odds are as if last season never happened and we are going straight off the back of our historically bad season the year before.

2 people like this 2 people

By Owen B27/6 10:03Sun Jun 27 10:03:33 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 564

Yes, tight as in not very good, i.e. the bookies being tight. Mind you, I've never seen a skint bookie...

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 10:55Sun Jun 27 10:55:35 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 487

I totally disagree :).

You don't often get much of a run for your money from an 8/1 shot, but we should be in the mix throughout, being no more than two or three wins off. Hell, in this division you can be 18th in Jan and still easily finish top seven, it happens all the time (look at our first season and Bolton last year as two obvious examples that immediately spring to mind).

Play this season out nine times with the same teams and our squad and we finish in the top third of the league at least once, I am certain of it.

By Owen B27/6 10:58Sun Jun 27 10:58:32 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 509

Yes, fair enough. My main gripe is SkyBet at 5/1 really, 8/1 doesn't sound too unreasonable. I just can't be arsed to sign up with any other operators for the 5-6 bets I put on a year!

I'm still not over them not paying out on GW's appointment as next manager the other year. Technicalities and non-explicit Ts & Cs have cost them their winnings back and more over a period of time.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 11:08Sun Jun 27 11:08:02 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 482

You really should take advantage of new bookie offers and get the best odds available. I have over 50 different accounts for that exact reason.

I guess that betting very frequently since I was about 17 and having worked in the industry for many years (and having actually written some of the market rules for new markets that Betfair still use now) I take for granted just knowing all the rules that most people wouldn't even think about, but that next manager rule is in place with every bookie ;). Don't get me wrong, they are all an absolute bunch of crooks without doubt, but I love the challenge of beating them each week :).

By Owen B27/6 11:11Sun Jun 27 11:11:57 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 452

It's not really something I think about now, to be honest. I used to do a bunch if 50p/£1 accas every Saturday afternoon, small fry stuff for fun, but I don't even think to do it more than a handful of times per season. As habits go, it's not a bad one to get out of!

By The Proclaimer27/6 01:49Sun Jun 27 01:49:28 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 641

awesome - thanks. 8/1 sounds ridiculous to be honest.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 09:25Sun Jun 27 09:25:03 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 547

They are crazy. 8/1 to finish in the top third of the division! We have achieved that twice from our eight seasons in L2 already and most of the time I would say we haven't even had remotely decent squads.

Not saying we definitely will, but this isn't to be promoted or anything, it is just to be in the best third of teams in the league, and when you look at our form over a long period of time and the fact we have retained the same management team and the vast majority of players, those odds look huge! A definite value bet IMO.

By Sev26/6 20:16Sat Jun 26 20:16:43 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 710

Sky Bet is 5/1 for top 7. I can't link as I use the app.

By Bragbury10626/6 18:57Sat Jun 26 18:57:46 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 816

look up oddschecker that will give you all the odds from most bookmakers.

50/1 with the bookies also you can bet each-way 1,2,3.

i have backed stevenage with the accounts with bookies i use,but i would wait to see what odds they will offer on
to finish top-half in the league also top 7 places in the league . should get some decent odds.

By Guinea Pig (Chuds)27/6 01:30Sun Jun 27 01:30:37 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 667

Oddschecker is only showing odds on winning the league at present, even though most also have a promotion market available.

None have the relegation market yet, but almost all have us in the three or four longest odds for the title/promotion, so will have us amongst the favourites for relegation. Hopefully they are very wrong.

By AgentEves26/6 17:10Sat Jun 26 17:10:34 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 863

And it really wasn't a "momentum" thing last year, either. There wasn't anything to suggest that the break will have derailed what we built last year. It's not like we spent the whole season vying for promotion, only to narrowly miss out. In those cases, there's often a sense of disappointment that can be tricky to recover from (think about Spurs not winning the Champions League). Sure, the end of the season was a little flat, but ultimately the season was positive and that positivity should carry forward to this season.

If we can cut out the needless 0-0s, I think we will be flying.

By SFCfox26/6 11:58Sat Jun 26 11:58:04 2021In response to New deals...Top of thread

Views: 1002

I can smell the title already.

By Specky (Mike H)26/6 11:44Sat Jun 26 11:44:35 2021In response to New deals...Top of thread

Views: 1014

That’s great news…..just Tom Pett to go then :))

By Owen B26/6 11:47Sat Jun 26 11:47:43 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 1065

I'd love Pett to stay, but I think that's probably why we brought in Reeves and Taylor.

By AgentEves26/6 17:13Sat Jun 26 17:13:48 2021In response to Re: New deals...Top of thread

Views: 833

Neither strike me as particularly creative though. Smith, Read and Lines aren't either. It seems like a very hard working midfield, but not a particularly creative or goal scoring midfield. Maybe Osborne plays in front of them in a 4-2-3-1, or maybe Carter, but ultimately that means List on the right wing. Even in a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3, I don't rate List on the right and would much prefer him up front. It's gonna be interesting to see how we get everyone into the side cos it seems like we have a lot of players who are quite similar.

Previous thread: Hitchin PSF - Satdi 10th July by Chuds27/6 11:26Sun Jun 27 11:26:10 2021view thread