Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Match thread - Oldham Athletic (a) by Rob SBFCToday 21:35Today at 21:35:31view thread

Oldest article: BoroGuide Match Preview: Carlisle (H) by Pete19/3 11:05Fri Mar 19 11:05:41 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Bristol v Stevenage by SparkyToes14/8 14:35Sat Aug 14 14:35:27 2021view thread

First half

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)7/8 15:51Sat Aug 7 15:51:54 2021

Views: 1844

Pretty much Meh!

Bring on Elliot List.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Norris v Farman

By Sev8/8 19:08Sun Aug 8 19:08:35 2021In response to First half Top of thread

Views: 1051

Anyone know what instigated the head to head between Norris and Farman after the goal went in.

All I saw was them both pushing heads together then seemed to just realise it wasn't worth it and they had a quick chat with the ref.

Re: Norris v Farman

By Freemo8/8 19:41Sun Aug 8 19:41:31 2021In response to Norris v FarmanTop of thread

Views: 1000

I assume it was the standard tussle to get the ball back and Farman probably thought he could wind Norris up into potentially doing something stupid.

By Chuds8/8 19:10Sun Aug 8 19:10:13 2021In response to Norris v FarmanTop of thread

Views: 934

No :(.

By Sev8/8 19:56Sun Aug 8 19:56:35 2021In response to Re: Norris v FarmanTop of thread

Views: 942

Lol

Re: First half

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)7/8 17:13Sat Aug 7 17:13:56 2021In response to First half Top of thread

Views: 1610

Quite average today but think we’ll be a strong side once we gel.

Barrow are grim

Ref was shit

Second Half

By AgentEves7/8 16:59Sat Aug 7 16:59:23 2021In response to First half Top of thread

Views: 1669

Significantly better.

Carter had a great impact, and we looked better and better as the half went on. Reeves looks much better when in central areas than he does when he's out wide, which isn't exactly surprising given he's a central midfielder. I'd also argue we looked better with List and Reid up top together, which I think is down to the fact that they can run the channels better, which helps if we continue to play without wide midfielders. I think Reid looks like he has goals in him. Quiet game for Taylor and Lines, but it was very scrappy so that's to be expected.

Pretty typical first game of the season: very scrappy and hard to get any rhythm going, but it was a good 3pts and there were a lot of positive signs.

3 people like this 3 people

Re: Second Half

By Freemo9/8 11:24Mon Aug 9 11:24:51 2021In response to Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 630

Interestingly according to transfermarkt.co.uk, Reeves' only previous League game at left midfield was for Brentford against us. They lost.

It looks like Taylor has played wide much more often so it's interesting the way round we have things.

Edited by Freemo at 11:26:53 on 9th August 2021

By Sev9/8 18:52Mon Aug 9 18:52:45 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 530

We played 4 2 2 2 didn't we?

Didn't have wide players. Didn't notice Osborne much so not sure where he was playing.

When List and Carter came on it was noticeable with List's pace that we could then play balls into the channels for him to chase down and created a lot of chances by getting balls out wide.

Our goal also came from a cross after coming in from out wide.

Almost as if fast players and width is how you score goals in this league....

1 person likes this 1 person

By AgentEves10/8 14:50Tue Aug 10 14:50:09 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 424

We played a 4-4-2, with the wide players tucking inside when we attacked rather than playing as traditional wingers. Reeves spent more time playing on the left than he did centrally.

By Ratman4610/8 15:09Tue Aug 10 15:09:11 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 394

Interesting piece on what Revs is trying to do formation wise when the talk was of a 4-2-2-2:

https://theballissquare.co.uk/football-tactics-board-the-4-2-2-2-formation-explained-n54224.html

By AgentEves14/8 14:53Sat Aug 14 14:53:42 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 293

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to see its used more often than I realised. I dont love it as a concept, but with a lack of wingers I can see why it was chosen as an option.

I think LJW is primed for this formation, but I'm not so sure about Coker. He definitely improved as the season progressed last year, and I have no qualms over his ability to put crosses in, but the formation has the potential to expose his lack of speed and concentration. The former being exacerbated by playing alongside Cuthbert. Luton's second goal was a good example of how he often gets caught ball watching.

I would like to see Reeves played more centrally. Despite not being convinced in the first half last week, he had a good second half and his pass to Osborne for the first goal on Tuesday maybe highlights his ability to pass from deep. I'd just be worried that playing him as part of the defensive two would shackle him and prevent him from attacking.

Osborne suits the formation, and I think Carter does too. A midfield 4 of Reeves, Taylor, Carter and Osborne should be pretty good. If we can find a speedy left back, similar to LJW, I think we'd be laughing.

By Sev10/8 15:29Tue Aug 10 15:29:22 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 380

That does sound a lot like what we are trying do.

By Freemo9/8 19:23Mon Aug 9 19:23:46 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 516

Reeves and Osborne were the ones tasked with moving out of the centre on the left and right side respectively, Osborne played the ball in for Reid for the goal from a fairly orthodox right-midfield position. I think the idea is one comes narrow when the ball is on the opposite side, defending or attacking. Means we'll get slaughtered if anyone in this division switches the play quickly, but it might not come up.

I noticed at one point Coker had the ball and Reeves and Osborne both ran in-field in the no 10 position, which was great for overloading their defence but then the ball just went back and the moment passed.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)8/8 12:59Sun Aug 8 12:59:31 2021In response to Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 1049

We're you there or watching it on ifollow.

By Dave (daveadkins)8/8 18:15Sun Aug 8 18:15:09 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 923

Neither, he had me updating him on Whatsapp all game. Tight git has a bird and he won't pay the subscription now. I was just telling him anything to be honest.

2 people like this 2 people

By Boromatt8/8 11:25Sun Aug 8 11:25:27 2021In response to Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 1064

Agreed. I thought the second half we were very good. I felt we just needed a goal to really settle us down, couldn’t have come at a better time to be honest. I actually thought Taylor was excellent. There was a lot of good things he did that not everyone noticed. Won his battles and on quite a few occasions was able to draw a foul and take the pressure off.

Overall I was really happy with it! Huge to start with a win and get 3 points in the bag early. Just allows the players to knuckle down and not have that mindset of “when’s the first win going to come?”

Highlights?

By Owen B8/8 11:30Sun Aug 8 11:30:02 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 1103

Is it usually Sunday noon the highlights usually go up? I can't remember for sure.

Re: Highlights?

By Boromatt8/8 11:48Sun Aug 8 11:48:31 2021In response to Highlights?Top of thread

Views: 1083

The highlights are up! On YouTube now.

Re: Highlights?

By Owen B8/8 11:52Sun Aug 8 11:52:21 2021In response to Re: Highlights?Top of thread

Views: 1086

Cheers, got it. Missed the tweet earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEokX4tEQw&ab_channel=StevenageFC

Penalty shout

By Eazy9/8 14:57Mon Aug 9 14:57:34 2021In response to Re: Highlights?Top of thread

Views: 568

Forgot about that, any thoughts? I thought it was at the time because our player went down and I'm biased. Pausing the youtube vid seems to show Platt diving into Norris although it's hardly conclusive. Based on this I think it was a penalty and Platt should have been sent off and chemically castrated.

Re: Penalty shout

By Freemo9/8 16:00Mon Aug 9 16:00:45 2021In response to Penalty shoutTop of thread

Views: 578

I was looking right at it, as was the ref, and perplexed it wasn't given.

Re: Penalty shout

By Stevenage FC Interviews (SFC Interviews)10/8 02:08Tue Aug 10 02:08:33 2021In response to Re: Penalty shoutTop of thread

Views: 474

For me all day long 100 percent a pen

By SFCfox7/8 18:00Sat Aug 7 18:00:10 2021In response to Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 1532

All in all a solid performance.

Early days, but Jake Taylor looks class to me. He's definitely an upgrade on Bond, Timlin and Vincelot.

Edited by SFCfox at 18:02:25 on 7th August 2021

By Nate9/8 09:29Mon Aug 9 09:29:06 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 725

I thought he's great off the ball. His passing was awful in the first hour - much improved beyond that though.

Reeves was excellent. Very composed on the ball, tries to work it forward but has good enough feet not to get caught in trouble and can move the ball back to the backwards so we can start the move again. Tidy finish too.

By Chuds9/8 13:59Mon Aug 9 13:59:10 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 534

And he's gawjus.

By Tucks9/8 15:39Mon Aug 9 15:39:20 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 521

Bonk.

Edited by Tucks at 15:39:27 on 9th August 2021

By AgentEves7/8 18:15Sat Aug 7 18:15:09 2021In response to Re: Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 1378

Jesus, when you put it like that, it's amazing to think how much better this team is than some of the shit we've had recently. Recruitment has been top notch the past two seasons.

By Danny-da-Bass (Danny-da -Bass)7/8 17:19Sat Aug 7 17:19:19 2021In response to Second HalfTop of thread

Views: 1540

Only second time we have won on the opening day since being in the EFL

By AgentEves7/8 16:01Sat Aug 7 16:01:20 2021In response to First half Top of thread

Views: 1679

Tactics in the first half can only be described as bizarre.

If we are gonna play 4 centre mids then the ball needs to move from the full backs to the centre mids as we transition up the field.

Instead, we are using the full backs to provide width, but when they get forward, they almost always end up in a 1v2 situation because we have no wide midfielders.

Barrow are playing high wing backs and we are neither defending against it, nor getting in behind, again, because we have no wide midfielders.

It's like we aren't utilizing the formation we have set up with.

Also, calling it early, but I dont rate Reeves. Looks busy, but his passing is well below par. Maybe just because it's the first game of the season, but I'm not impressed.

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)8/8 08:57Sun Aug 8 08:57:42 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1080

Very strange selection with nobody out wide left to help Coker. When he got the ball and moved into space, his only option was to then play it backwards

By Chuds8/8 09:17Sun Aug 8 09:17:58 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1043

It was frustrating a good few times when somebody won the ball in the middle and looked up to see there not being a single option out wide so we had to delay our attack waiting for options, however I did also think we attacked better out wide yesterday than we have done for years, and attacked well with pace for a lot of the second half.

It looks like Wildin and Coker are going to be vital for us this year getting down the flanks, and are really going to have their stamina tested! I thought Coker was brilliant yesterday.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)8/8 10:19Sun Aug 8 10:19:42 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1048

Agree our fullbacks are crucial. We knew that when we decided not to sign any pacey wingers.

Coker doesn't have pace or age on his side and is a little injury prone.

Who's our LB cover?

By Hitchin Callling8/8 10:48Sun Aug 8 10:48:20 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1027

Don't think we have one. Barry is RB/RM ? I assume we would put Prosser or alike out there for now ?
Feel we definitely new a couple more additions and assume the Powell poss signing now off the cards.

By Mr Happy SFC8/8 18:10Sun Aug 8 18:10:26 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 838

I thought Barry could also play left back? Having said that and being a lefty myself, I prefer having a left sided left back.

By BedsBoro7/8 18:22Sat Aug 7 18:22:48 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1307

Part of the issue for me is that Coker on the left doesn't offer the same as Wildin on the right - he's a decent crosser but he's not going to take on people because he's not fast enough. It means we're not especially well balanced. I think playing 4 narrow midfielders means you almost have to have athletic full backs. Will be interesting to see if we get anyone else in before the end of the month

By Bumble7/8 17:17Sat Aug 7 17:17:12 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1455

Agree with most of that observation
Spoken like a coach
Reeves for me had a good pre season
Definately busy, plays better picking the Ball up deep from the back and plays with tempo and forward passing.
One to watch.
Take the win though
Didn't play like I thought after seeing pre season.

By AgentEves7/8 17:44Sat Aug 7 17:44:42 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1405

In fairness to Reeves, you're absolutely spot on about him playing with a high tempo. I think that was the biggest issue with the first half (a lack of tempo) and Reeves was one of the few players trying to play a bit quicker. I think Carter offered the same, and having them both on the pitch resulted in much more attacking play.

By Tucks8/8 19:03Sun Aug 8 19:03:59 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 813

While a lower standard of opposition and a friendly I was impressed with Reeves in the first half at St. Albans. Very vocal, was looking to drive forward and coaching Townsend-West, who was playing left back. Think he’s different to the other CM options we have and hopefully can play a big part.

Was gutted to not be at the game yesterday, very happy to kick off with a win over a solid opponent.

By Rotterdamboro7/8 16:05Sat Aug 7 16:05:59 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1637

Lol. AgentEves right on the money as usual.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)7/8 16:29Sat Aug 7 16:29:37 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1576

Lmao

By AgentEves7/8 16:11Sat Aug 7 16:11:11 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1611

I assume you're referring to the fact that Reeves scored?

It was a good goal, and a decent run, but it doesn't render my claim about his passing as inaccurate.

He's a central midfielder playing left wing... which is likely half the issue.

By Freemo7/8 17:40Sat Aug 7 17:40:29 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1398

First half I wasn't sure about Reeves and Reid, second half I thought they both did very well.

By AgentEves7/8 17:45Sat Aug 7 17:45:15 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1447

I'd agree with that.

The goal

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)7/8 18:34Sat Aug 7 18:34:19 2021In response to Re: First half Top of thread

Views: 1380

Noticed the players families missed the goal as they were still in the 76 lounge.

Re: The goal

By Owen B7/8 18:53Sat Aug 7 18:53:32 2021In response to The goalTop of thread

Views: 1340

I missed it trying to fiddle with the aerial to pick up 95.5fm.

Previous thread: Match thread - Luton (H) by Owen B10/8 18:47Tue Aug 10 18:47:28 2021view thread