Borochat

Proud sponsors of Paul Tisdale & Shianne Swarres

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Out on Pens 4-3 by ChudsYesterday 23:09Yesterday at 23:09:07view thread

Oldest article: Very impressed by Eazy17/8 21:45Tue Aug 17 21:45:24 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Match thread v Leyton O by WASP23/10 14:54Sat Oct 23 14:54:14 2021view thread

Match thread - Port Vale (H)

By Owen B21/8 14:01Sat Aug 21 14:01:35 2021

Views: 1785

Team news for this afternoon's Sky Bet League Two clash vs Port Vale can now be confirmed...

Alex Revell names three changes from midweek, as Scott Cuthbert, Charlie Carter and Chris Lines all miss out through injury. Luke Prosser, Elliot Osborne and Jamie Reid come into the starting eleven, while Arthur Read is named on the bench for the first time this season.

Stevenage: Anang, James-Wildin, Coker, Reeves, Prosser, List, Taylor, Norris, Osborne, Vancooten, Reid.

Subs: Bastien, Daly, Read, Smith, Marshall, Townsend-West, Williams.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)

By Boromatt21/8 21:26Sat Aug 21 21:26:15 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1033

Very happy with the point. For me today was all about getting a result after Tuesday. Yes we could’ve won the game and probably should’ve won the game with some of those chances in the first half. But equally could’ve lost it in the second half.

Just a few things:

- Really happy for Nozza to get on the scoresheet again. I really believe he will get a good amount this season.

- I felt that we got tired with 20 minutes to go, just seemed a few were leggy and Revs probably needs to bring in a couple more players.

- I thought Anang in goal was superb today. Saved our bacon in the second half on a few occasions.

But overall, good point, unbeaten at home and 7 on the board. Win next Saturday and 10 points from the opening month is really positive. Next up Tuesday!

Edited by Boromatt at 21:27:00 on 21st August 2021

2 people like this 2 people

By RockyBottom23/8 10:15Mon Aug 23 10:15:24 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 673

It's two points dropped, you have to be winning games against the likes of Port Vale at home if you want to finish in the top half of the table.

3 people like this 3 people

By Chuds23/8 13:34Mon Aug 23 13:34:18 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 804

By that are you suggesting you think Port Vale will finish low down the table?

By RockyBottom26/8 15:03Thu Aug 26 15:03:27 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 711

Than us, I would have hoped so yes.

By Sev23/10 16:21Sat Oct 23 16:21:10 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 460

As many suspected, they're looking very strong this season.

By Chuds23/10 20:16Sat Oct 23 20:16:57 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 361

And with it so is my pre-season bet on them to be promoted.

By AndyC24/10 07:46Sun Oct 24 07:46:48 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 261

How is the one on Boro to finish top half going?

By Chuds24/10 10:41Sun Oct 24 10:41:35 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 178

Plenty of time left there :).

Decent game overall

By Rotterdamboro21/8 17:56Sat Aug 21 17:56:34 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1328

Game of two halves really. We bossed it first half with Reeves running the show. They got a goal out of nothing from their only meaningful attack. Second half was a different story - can’t deny they didn’t deserve a point and there was only one team going to win it - even if we did have one off the line. Bit worrying that we allowed them to get on top - we didn’t have anyone that could halt the momentum. I still tho l we’ll be mid table on that display - Reeves is a very welcome addition. Not sure what Reid up top offers - maybe it just wasn’t his day. Overall an entertaining game tho against a cynical fouling team who the ref let get away with it

3 people like this 3 people

Re: Decent game overall

By GarstonBoro21/8 19:29Sat Aug 21 19:29:00 2021In response to Decent game overallTop of thread

Views: 1218

Sorry, definitely 2 points dropped. Where was the passion following a good whipping last game?
First 15 mins I thought we can’t fail here but we let them in.
Yes Ref was poor although Elliot can’t complain, he doesn’t even look at the ball just collides with much bigger defenders, good luck to him, I do admire his spirit.
Great goalkeeping yet again, probably saved us and thank god someone has told him to stop falling on the ground every time he gets the ball.
Well done Stevenage, build on this….

By SFCfox22/8 09:38Sun Aug 22 09:38:40 2021In response to Re: Decent game overallTop of thread

Views: 973

You mean, he doesn't hold on to the ball when we're not winning?

I am shocked.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Jonnym822/8 10:03Sun Aug 22 10:03:32 2021In response to Re: Decent game overallTop of thread

Views: 860

Bizarre behaviour

By Chuds21/8 23:36Sat Aug 21 23:36:53 2021In response to Re: Decent game overallTop of thread

Views: 1063

Odd.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)21/8 23:24Sat Aug 21 23:24:23 2021In response to Re: Decent game overallTop of thread

Views: 1023

PASSION

By Bumble21/8 18:00Sat Aug 21 18:00:31 2021In response to Decent game overallTop of thread

Views: 1337

That is exactly I saw it

By Owen B21/8 17:51Sat Aug 21 17:51:07 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1317

Game of two halves. Some positives, good first half, but fell away in the second half.

7 points in the bag after 4 games is a solid enough start.

2 people like this 2 people

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)21/8 18:28Sat Aug 21 18:28:16 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1211

Observations...

List as a no. 10 didn't work. If injuries forced this choice the squad is too thin.

Norris looks far more athletic this season.

Reeves is class.

Taylor wasn't as dominant as I've seen before.

Prosser struggled and was too handsy at times.

Coker is twice the player he was last season.

Why do the CBs take the GKs straight to Anang who then often hoofs a moving ball? It happens too quickly to draw the opposition on very far and will cost us at least once.

Once they changed shape, taking Johnson off they had us sussed, their number 13 won far too much against TVC and Prosser.

We didn't seem to have a plan B.

Decent atmosphere but can we stop singing celery and songs about anal sex. It's immature and it could cost us a fine.

Can the new agency stewards smile, they glared at the singers throughout, almost like they were expecting trouble, and I noticed a couple of Vale fans got kicked out after some words were exchanged, when if they'd just left 7-8 Vale fans standing and doing no harm whatsoever, nothing would have needed doing.

Enjoyed the first half, good to be back, second half we were a bit shit.

By AL1 BORO21/8 20:42Sat Aug 21 20:42:42 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1042

On injuries and strength of squad. Didn't Wallace say back at the Chairman Q&A event that the club wanted to add another goalkeeper, left back, number 10 and striker? He also remarked that he wanted the number 10 to be one of the best players at the club from memory.

Since that day we've signed Bastien, Barry and Reid.

Bastien and Reid fulfil the goalkeeper and striker needs. Barry doesn't fit any of those position unless we intend to use him as cover in both full back positions?

We might expect the club to be in the market for another attacking midfielder/number 10? Particularly if they eye this individual up as a marquee addition.

Could be interesting few days if the club are intending to add another player or two.

Match thread - Port Vale (H)

By PotHole8921/8 17:15Sat Aug 21 17:15:22 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1318

Think Revs and Dean got it wrong today - which hasn’t happened very often since January.

Firstly List is ineffective in that ‘10’ role. We want to play through the lines and get in behind and he’s twice the player when he’s upfront.

Prosser was a liability today. He nearly cost us on several occasions. If scotty is going to be out then Marshall should be ahead of him.

Smith IMO should have started in the CDM role and Reeves pushed forward. Too many times we lacked that killer ball.

What is it with us giving away cheap free kicks in dangerous positions?! I know the ref had some very questionable decisions but port vale were causing us no end of issues with balls into the box - why give them the ability to keep doing so.

Finally a positive - I thought Norris was excellent today. Shame he had to come off. Poor Daly hasn’t managed to get into a rhythm yet with sub appearances but we really lost that edge once he came off.

Still in the playoffs - COYB

By AgentEves21/8 17:17Sat Aug 21 17:17:53 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1233

"We want to play through the lines"

I haven't seen anything to suggest this is true. At least not consistently. We very often bypass the midfield completely.

Agree on Norris, though. Him and List is our best partnership.

Edited by AgentEves at 17:18:46 on 21st August 2021

By PotHole8921/8 17:21Sat Aug 21 17:21:41 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1241

I disagree.

Last season we did, a lot. Perhaps not as much so far this season- but you can see that we’re trying to play balls into the 10’s and breaking from there. There were some occasions today where we tried (no where near enough) but either a poor touch or pass let us down.

Admittedly today was 80% long balls into the channels.

The “I Love BankerBob” subthread

By Eazy21/8 16:21Sat Aug 21 16:21:33 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1367

“Get back in your box and shut up!!” :)

Re: The “I Love BankerBob” subthread

By Bankerbob21/8 18:17Sat Aug 21 18:17:04 2021In response to The “I Love BankerBob” subthreadTop of thread

Views: 1145

Blimey, Eazy, where were you in the ground?

By AgentEves21/8 15:21Sat Aug 21 15:21:51 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1400

Criminal defending. Every single player switched off thinking the header was going for a goal kick.

And another goal from a cross...

One bloody attack and they score!

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)21/8 15:21Sat Aug 21 15:21:40 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1395

Freak goal

By AgentEves21/8 15:07Sat Aug 21 15:07:52 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1388

Can someone help me understand what the logic might be behind us playing 4 central midfielders if our plan is to play long balls down the line every time we get possession? I really don't want to complain every week, but I just can't connect the two. They seem counter productive to each other.

EDIT: My point is that whenever we play through the midfielders, we look so much better, not to mention the build up is far more entertaining to watch. And playing through the middle is playing to the advantages of how we have set up.

Edited by AgentEves at 15:15:07 on 21st August 2021

By SFCfox21/8 17:48Sat Aug 21 17:48:07 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1166

"I don't want to complain every week"

Come on...

By AgentEves21/8 18:20Sat Aug 21 18:20:08 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1177

I think what I realised today is that the low quality football bothers me more because I'm watching at home on TV. When I used to go to games, I could enjoy the atmosphere, talk to my mates, etc etc. But now I'm watching at home on the TV, the only thing I have to entertain myself is actually watching the football. The problem is that a lot of the time it's dire. Even when we are winning, we rarely play consistently "good" football. The football (when we are winning) can best be described as effective. Effective but ugly football is acceptable when we are winning games, because results are the only thing that really matters, but its frustrating when it isn't working and we don't do anything different.

I just look at the players we have, and then look at the formation that Revs/Wilkins have picked, and really struggle to understand why we play the way we do. We don't play wingers, and we don't have strikers that are phenomenal at getting on the end of crosses, so why is hitting it down the line for a dump and chase even part of our game plan? And people can argue all they want about how dump and chase isn't our go-to tactic, but we literally did it immediately from kick off today. It's like watching a rugby team who are kicking for territory.

I'm not saying it's a shit system, if you a) have the players that will thrive in that system or b) you are significantly worse than your opponents, then it's an acceptable approach. But neither applies to us.

Taylor and Reeves are both good on the ball. We are packing the central areas of the pitch, and our strikers thrive off either through balls (Reid/List) or balls to feet (Norris). I refuse to accept that our players aren't good enough to play more through the midfield. We do it in spells, and look good. We just need to do it more consistently.

It's not really about us being "shit". I don't think we are shit, although I realise that my posts don't come across like that. I just can't ignore the feeling that we could be significantly better if we played to our strengths and stopped the dump and chase.

Edited by AgentEves at 18:21:46 on 21st August 2021

By Paulio21/8 15:17Sat Aug 21 15:17:51 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1355

The plan is to play it through the middle. And then if that isn’t working play it a bit longer to try and open the shorter passes again.

By AgentEves21/8 15:20Sat Aug 21 15:20:07 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1357

Given how when we kicked off, we played straight back to Wildin and then he played it long down the line, suggests that playing down the line is our primary objective, and we play through the middle when that isn't an option. But that's just my take.

The shape of the defenders when they have the ball, and the fact that the central midfielders aren't playing on the half turn, suggests also that they are looking to play to the full backs whenever they can.

By AgentEves21/8 14:51Sat Aug 21 14:51:39 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1396

Change in formation perhaps? Unless Reid/List are playing in midfield.

By S4 Boro21/8 14:04Sat Aug 21 14:04:32 2021In response to Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1455

Who is Williams ?

By Owen B21/8 14:06Sat Aug 21 14:06:36 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1453

Alfie Williams. young midfielder, signed pro terms quite recently.

By S4 Boro21/8 14:07Sat Aug 21 14:07:25 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Port Vale (H)Top of thread

Views: 1463

Thank you.

Previous thread: Basics by RussD8123/10 17:07Sat Oct 23 17:07:15 2021view thread