Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Papa John's by AndyCToday 07:57Today at 07:57:21view thread

Oldest article: BoroGuide Match Preview: Cam Utd (A) by Pete24/4 07:59Sat Apr 24 07:59:20 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Mr Tango Comments by Hitchin Callling2/9 17:57Thu Sep 2 17:57:09 2021view thread

Max Melbourne

By AgentEves31/8 17:12Tue Aug 31 17:12:44 2021

Views: 1333

Signed, according to Instagram.

22 year old left back on loan from Lincoln.

Edited by AgentEves at 17:13:43 on 31st August 2021

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Max Melbourne

By AgentEves31/8 17:18Tue Aug 31 17:18:27 2021In response to Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 1219

Sounds like he can play centre back, too. In his final year of his contract and the loan was to help him secure a move away from Lincoln. So possibility of a permanent transfer at some point.

One comment was that he never let them down, but was behind in the pecking order.

Hopefully better than Coker as I think that's our biggest weakness, but seemingly can also cover for Cuthbert, meaning we don't need to rely on Prosser.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)31/8 18:40Tue Aug 31 18:40:42 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 1089

Hmm, couldn’t why have kept Joe Martin? Wonder if we tried to.

2 people like this 2 people

By Tucks2/9 07:51Thu Sep 2 07:51:43 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 456

Martin left because he wanted to play regular football I believe.

By AgentEves31/8 19:07Tue Aug 31 19:07:15 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 1004

I was surprised we got rid of Martin, but at this stage I'd rather take a 22yo over a 30+ year old. Probably cheaper too. We can then develop them how we want them to play.

By Hitchin Callling31/8 17:45Tue Aug 31 17:45:20 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 1110

Re CB cover yes it seems as ,only going by formation on BBC site, played there for Lincoln this season.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)31/8 17:24Tue Aug 31 17:24:16 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 1117

Coker has been one of our best players so far this season.

And I wasn't a fan of his early appearances last year.

By AgentEves31/8 19:10Tue Aug 31 19:10:04 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 950

I completely disagree. He's slow, lacks concentration, and his marking is questionable. Going forward he is without fault, but he lacks the mobility and speed required to play as a wing back, which is effectively what this team needs.

Irrespective of how he may or may not have played this season, he is our weakest player. Even great teams still have a weak link. Of our starters, that player is Coker. Well, that and the formation.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Boromatt31/8 22:32Tue Aug 31 22:32:00 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 786

I agree with Balders, I think Coker has been good. IMO I think he’s improved from last season. You could say Saturday him and Prosser were at fault for the goal, but at fault when the whole team didn’t start at all in the first 15 minutes.

Cokes is an important player. An experienced head in the squad and has also experienced promotion in this division before.

By AgentEves31/8 22:46Tue Aug 31 22:46:37 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 735

I think he improved in the 2nd half of last season, but I think he has regressed this season.

To Coker's defense, I think he suffers in particular from the formation we are currently using. It's one thing asking Luther to play as what is essentially a wing back, but it's another thing asking that from Coker. He doesn't have the speed, agility or acceleration to do it effectively.

I don't think it's any coincidence that Coker was poor at the start of last season, when we played 4-3-3 (i.e. no wide midfielders) and then when we switched to 4-4-2, and had cover in front of him, he improved dramatically. Now again, we have switched to a formation with no wide midfielders, and he has struggled again. He gets left in 2v1 situations way too often, and I think that's an area where he particularly struggles (again, because of his lack of speed/acceleration).

I think our formation is a bigger issue than Coker. But I think if we had a more athletic left back, similar to Wildin, then this formation would be less of an issue. As I've said before, I really think this formation exposes our weaknesses and doesn't set us up for success. We have the players to play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2, so I'd much rather see us keep things simple.

Edited by AgentEves at 22:47:27 on 31st August 2021

By Boromatt31/8 22:53Tue Aug 31 22:53:44 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 736

I think his play has been good this season, especially when we’ve gone forward. The style of play we use means he has to do a lot of work both going forward and defending, to which Revs having back up for when he runs out of legs for a week or two.

When I look at the goals conceded in all competitions I can really only think of one goal which I’d lay the blame with and that was Saturday shared with Prosser. Normally in football when I see or use the word “weak link”, normally that’s a statement used for concern when in games we look particularly “weak”, I really don’t get that feeling with Coker at all. If anything, I think we’ve conceded over half our goals from the right side of the pitch?

I like Coker. I think he has been decent and his another player that adds a lot of experience and expectancy to this team.

By AgentEves1/9 00:05Wed Sep 1 00:05:48 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 739

As I said elsewhere, his attacking play is decent. I can't fault that side of his game. But ultimately a full back is there to defend, not attack.

"The style of play we use means he has to do a lot of work both going forward and defending"
This is exactly my point. We have presumably come up with this 4-2-2-2 system to try and get the most out of our players, but it is exposing the full backs unnecessarily. Coker is terrible defending in 2v1s, and yet we are playing with a formation that consistently puts him in those situations.

By Boromatt1/9 08:25Wed Sep 1 08:25:50 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 687

“But ultimately a full back is there to defend, not attack”. But I think his defending has been decent. I saw on Twitter in the week stats from conceding crosses into our box, 25% come from the left, 75% from the right. The only issue I have with Coker is when he gets tired, but Revs has got that sorted with cover.

That’s right. The 4-2-2-2 means isolation on both flanks and therefore Coker and Luther will have a lot more to do. At home I don’t think it’s an issue, I just think away from home we need to be a little bit tighter in games especially on those big pitches.

By Jonnym82/9 07:43Thu Sep 2 07:43:31 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 443

The last two goals conceded in the league - Vale and Walsall were individual errors rather than anything to do with the system.

By AgentEves1/9 17:12Wed Sep 1 17:12:01 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 535

Why is Coker more capable of playing as a wing back at home vs away? That doesn't make sense.

By Boromatt1/9 17:22Wed Sep 1 17:22:40 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 601

That’s not what I was on about. The part about being a little bit tighter away from home comes as the team as a collective. I think Revs just needs to be mindful of how we set up away from home. Our last two away games in the league we’ve let in a very early goal. I’m completely on board with the style of play he and Wilkins have implemented, but I do think they both need to be careful in how we set up in some of those away games.

By AgentEves1/9 19:39Wed Sep 1 19:39:21 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 505

Ok, fair enough, I get you now.

You mention about us needing to be solid away from home, but in the 3 home games against Spurs u21s, Luton and Wycombe, we conceded 8 goals. So I don't think the problem only needs to be addressed away from home.

I don't want to come across like I'm arguing with you, Matt. I understand that football is a game of opinions, and I'm enjoying discussing this with you. I'm just trying to understand why so many people are happy/on board with this new formation, when I think there have been enough signs to suggest it hasn't been a positive change.

The results this season have been, at best, inconsistent. Now, normally, we'd be happy with inconsistent. In previous years we have been consistently shit, so I agree with the general consensus on the forum that we shouldn't get carried away with the results so far this season, positively or negatively.

That being said, for 30 games last season we were pretty fucking good. Even when the football was shit, we were grinding out results. As Chuds quite rightly pointed out, very few teams had better form than us over that period. We were defensively solid, and we were winning more games than we were losing. Sure, we drew a lot, but we were one of the top teams in the division based on form.

We had a good team last season and we had a simple system that was working. We lost Pett over the summer, but I refuse to believe that Pett was single-handedly responsible for our performances. Besides, we have added Taylor and Reeves who both seem like quality players. We've also signed other players to strengthen the squad in general, all of whom seem to be good signings (from what we've seen so far). Yet I can't help feeling like we have declined.

Last year was decent, so my question is why did we not just attempt to continue that through to this season? If we started the season and something changed - we were all of a sudden conceding goals, or we were really struggling to score - then I'm all for changing it. But off the back of last season, I just don't see why we needed to change anything.

3 people like this 3 people

By Bumble1/9 21:44Wed Sep 1 21:44:01 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 509

Totally agree AE
Perfectly explained.
Great Post
We still have a decent goalkeeper
Back 4 is still the same
On paper the midfield has better players although losing Pett was a blow.
Options upfront is much better.
Management is the same
So Whats changed to the detrament to the team
The bloody shape they have been asked to adhere to.
Far too narrow which was clear at Bradford.
Like AE said, 4-4-2 was working perfectly why change.
Will be interesting to see if they change it especially if we lose Saturday.

By SFCfox2/9 07:41Thu Sep 2 07:41:06 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 444

I'd argue the back four hasn't been the same since Bradford. Scotty and TVC are our best CB pairing but they haven't played together since then.

By Freemo2/9 08:48Thu Sep 2 08:48:45 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 496

I was thinking this, albeit we were already in the process of conceding a third goal when Cuthbert got hurt.

By AgentEves1/9 22:57Wed Sep 1 22:57:58 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 482

Last year it took us around 17 (league) games to change from the 4-3-3. I personally think that was too long.

If we put aside whether or not we think they should have changed the system, I think it's fair that the management team will want to persevere with the new system, rather than abandoning it after 3 games. That said, I think the exact point when you should change it is usually dictated by how soon the cracks begin to appear.

I'd say those cracks have appeared already, but it is still very early. It is perfectly possible that all of a sudden things click into place and the system starts working the way it was intended. I think if we are still pushing this formation at the end of September, and the results don't become more consistent, I think it would be fair to argue that the players have had long enough to master the system, and that the system is the issue.

As said elsewhere, the next month is going to be interesting. I think if Revs has a mediocre season with this squad, there might be some finger pointing going on.

Edited by AgentEves at 22:58:23 on 1st September 2021

By Boromatt1/9 20:21Wed Sep 1 20:21:46 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 491

I actually think the results against Luton and Wycombe were good results, albeit both not full sides, but Luton’s second team would definitely be up the top of our league.
You could say last night’s game was where we looked extremely open. But even last night, I looked upon it as a game for some of the players who haven’t had a lot of minutes this season.

The reason why I say away is, we’re unbeaten in the league so far at home and both League Cup ties we didn’t lose in 90 minutes. At home I really feel are the games where we should be looking to express our play and quality. Play with a confident set up and go for it in front of our home support. Away from home I feel that we can’t always have that effect on the game and possibly should look to be a lot tighter. For example, look at the results away from home at the back end of last season, how many 0-0’s and 1-0 wins did we win? Quite a few from memory. We were difficult to beat, resulting in quite a few clean sheets and in a lot of those games we were able to find a winner. I like to think that we’re better in front of goal this season, so by being difficult to beat away from home, I’d put money us picking up quite a few points on the road.

No argument at all, just debate! You know me I love a chat on Boro, could do it for hours haha!

In all honesty, I think we’ve got big potential. Bits to work on of course, but big potential. We’ve finally got a group of goalscorers in the team for a change, all of which are now off the mark this season and the majority of the squad are filled with players who have all experienced success in League Two and a few in League One. Then on top, we have two very clear minded individuals in charge who know what identity we want to play and a plan of action to support it.

As I say, big month ahead because we’ll get to see how good we really are. We just need a win to get things going again.

By AgentEves1/9 20:43Wed Sep 1 20:43:38 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 484

All fair points.

" For example, look at the results away from home at the back end of last season, how many 0-0’s and 1-0 wins did we win? Quite a few from memory. We were difficult to beat, resulting in quite a few clean sheets and in a lot of those games we were able to find a winner. I like to think that we’re better in front of goal this season, so by being difficult to beat away from home, I’d put money us picking up quite a few points on the road."

This is exactly my point though. I don't know why we have changed things from last season. We have brought in better players, so why not just play the same system with the improved players, and then assess the gaps/shortcomings as they arise.

I think I'm just struggling to get past the fact that our current formation has such an obvious vulnerability. I think I'm worried that teams will figure it out very quickly and pick us apart.

"In all honesty, I think we’ve got big potential. Bits to work on of course, but big potential. We’ve finally got a group of goalscorers in the team for a change, all of which are now off the mark this season and the majority of the squad are filled with players who have all experienced success in League Two and a few in League One."

This I agree with. We have, for the first time in as long as I can remember, a very solid squad, and one without a massive range of ability. (In other words, our worst players aren't absolutely terrible, and our best players aren't world beaters.) I think that will be a good thing over the course of the season. If Taylor gets injured, we have Lines. If Reeves gets injured, we have Osborne. If Anang gets injured, we have Bastian. etc etc. The only place we really didn't have sufficient cover is left-sided centre back and left back, and seemingly we have resolved that with the signing of Melbourne.

By Chuds1/9 21:09Wed Sep 1 21:09:37 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 483

It looks to me from watching our games like other sides have already figured it out and are targeting and exploiting us down the wings and having great success as a result.

I noticed after the match last night that Swindon are 2/1 to beat us at the weekend. I know yesterday was our first home defeat of the season but that looks an enormous price!

By AgentEves1/9 21:15Wed Sep 1 21:15:03 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 488

Completely agree.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)1/9 14:07Wed Sep 1 14:07:21 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 616

Maybe away from home on bigger pitches we need to play 4-4-2 and focus the wide midfielders' minds on working as a defensive pair with their fullback. And pick the right players to do that job.

Yes it will limit our attacking options a bit, so we may not win many, but away from home a draw is mostly an OK result.

It's not rocket science.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 14:08:10 on 1st September 2021

By jayess31/8 21:28Tue Aug 31 21:28:47 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 776

You used to say it was Wildin, and then it was Norris...
Coker is an integral part of an excellent back four. Overall our problem is at the other end. If we concede first I never expect us to win as, generally, we don't score twice. If we want to challenge for promotion we need more goals. We can't entirely build our strategy around clean sheets.

By AgentEves31/8 22:07Tue Aug 31 22:07:29 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 777

I'm allowed to change my opinion as things develop. You don't have to die on every hill. Someone who was once the weak link could now not be. Coker may improve and no longer be the weak link, but as things stand, he is the worst of our regular starters, in my opinion.

There was a period of time where Wildin was a complete liability. But he improved. There was also a time where I thought Norris was a weak link. But he improved. If I continued to highlight them as weak links in spite of their improvements, then I wouldn't be adapting my opinion based on their performances.

I'm curious, which of our regular starters do you think is more of a weak link than Coker?

P.S. "Coker is an integral part of an excellent back four." - an excellent back four that has conceded 14 goals in 8 games?

Edited by AgentEves at 22:09:22 on 31st August 2021

By jayess31/8 22:25Tue Aug 31 22:25:19 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 713

Every player in the side has weaknesses, otherwise they wouldn't be plying their trade in League Two.
That doesn't mean that any of them are actually a weak link, though they are all capable of the odd poor performance.
Coker was reckoned good enough to be signed by Lincoln for League One, before an injury that almost ended his career.
It isn't surprising it took him a while last season to get his game up to speed. Technically he is very good, with an excellent left foot and first touch. In my view he is a very capable left back at our level. Just cut him a bit of slack...which doesn't mean picking on somebody else, though history tells me you will.

By AgentEves31/8 22:39Tue Aug 31 22:39:50 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 688

"Every player in the side has weaknesses, otherwise they wouldn't be plying their trade in League Two."

Correct. I don't expect every player to be without fault. That said, it's a simple fact that every team will have a weakest link in their starting 11. Even if you picked a World XI, there would still be 1 player that was the weakest player in that team.

You're allowed to continually improve the team, even if you're happy enough with the starting 11. In fact, you'd be stupid not to. You can be happy just plodding along with the status quo, or you can look to continually improve on what you have. Personally, I think there's always room for improvement, especially in a squad of League Two players.

Coker is fine. He isn't absolutely terrible. Sometimes I give him more flack than he deserves, but I find him quite annoying to watch. Like you said, his technique is pretty good, but he often gets beaten by his man. Usually it's because his acceleration isn't great, because he's switched off, or because he's too busy trying to push the player over instead of defending against him. If we were looking to sign 1 player to replace one of our regular starters, it would probably be him. That's all I'm saying.

By Sev31/8 22:11Tue Aug 31 22:11:22 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 708

If you had to play one of Carter or Coker (in their respective positions) which one would you pick?

By AgentEves31/8 22:31Tue Aug 31 22:31:47 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 696

Good question, that's tough. I think Coker maybe edges that debate.

To be honest, I wasn't considering Carter to be one of our starters when I made my comment. I was thinking of our starters being: Anang, Wildin, TVC, Cuthbert, Coker, Reeves, Taylor, Lines, Osborne, List, Norris and Reid. But maybe I should have included Carter in there too (although he's only started 2 games).

I think it's a toss-up between Osborne and Carter as to which is the better option, assuming the other three midfielders are Lines, Taylor and Reeves (who I would hope will feature in most of our games this season). With Andrade coming in, I suspect he takes that 4th spot over both Osborne and Carter, with the two of them offering us options off the bench.

Coker is an undisputed starter at the moment, and of those players that I have listed above, I think he is the weakest link. I hope that Melbourne can come in and challenge him. Maybe Coker rises to the challenge and outplays Melborne. Maybe Melbourne outshines Coker and becomes first choice. Or maybe we figure out a combination (or rotation) that utilizes both of them. Hard to say until we see Melbourne play.

By worrier31/8 17:14Tue Aug 31 17:14:07 2021In response to Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 1100

Cover for coker I expect

By Specky (Mike H)31/8 18:36Tue Aug 31 18:36:27 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 974

Prefer it to be “competition”

By AgentEves31/8 19:11Tue Aug 31 19:11:58 2021In response to Re: Max MelbourneTop of thread

Views: 897

Me too. If the lad is leaving Lincoln, where he isn't getting first team football, to drop down a league, you'd assume it was to challenge for first team football, not sit on the bench. There were comments about Lincoln wanting to give him a chance to find a new club since his contract expires at the end of the season, which further argues that he doesn't plan to sit on the bench.

Previous thread: Hitchin by Bragbury10610/7 22:10Sat Jul 10 22:10:42 2021view thread