Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Can any Boro fan say... by Richie Rich CToday 22:23Today at 22:23:10view thread

Oldest article: Match thread - Oldham (A) by Owen B2/4 14:18Fri Apr 2 14:18:56 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Sutton United SA Coach by SA Comms Manager8/9 12:16Wed Sep 8 12:16:40 2021view thread

Stewards?

By WayBackWhen7/9 16:51Tue Sep 7 16:51:24 2021

Views: 912

I followed the club a few years ago during the non-league days but have lived away from the area for about 20 years.

Circumstances have changed, meaning I've got more time at weekends and although it's a trek, I was thinking about getting to down to Stevenage as many times as possible.

I've seen things about Stewards on the BBC - once seemed unfortunate, twice seems like a trend. Is this steward thing an ongoing problem or just unlucky?

Haven't seen much about it on here, so am guessing it might not be an issue. Just wanted to check because I can't be arsed to make the journey and be dicked around by an idiot in a hi-viz (I can probably get that experience closer to home if I tried).

Thanks.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Stewards?

By Owen B7/9 18:31Tue Sep 7 18:31:59 2021In response to Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 802

Some Swindon fans on Twitter are deliberately conflating the alleged incident where the chap with Parkinson's wasn't let in and the moronic behaviour of their fans ripping up seats, etc.

I sincerely hope the incident with the man with Parkinson's is throughly investigated and any training issues or bad eggs identified in the stewarding team are dealt with. As clearly, if this turns out to be true, it is unacceptable.

The Swindon fans who were causing problems after a few sweet sherries can go fuck themselves though.

9 people like this 9 people

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)7/9 20:20Tue Sep 7 20:20:42 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 698

^^This^^

We have started using agency stewards, presumably because no-one local will work for what the club's paying.

They are not as engaging or friendly as the locally sourced regulars, they don't smile and chat (which can go a long way to managing a bunch of idiots who are generally harmless if managed correctly). This can create unnecessary tension.

But I'm sure they'll learn and develop a relationship with the fans in their section, and as Chuds says, if you behave, there won't be an issue.

3 people like this 3 people

By WayBackWhen7/9 21:18Tue Sep 7 21:18:16 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 621

Thanks (and to Owen B).

Thought it'd be an agency sourced thing and tbh it's not a job I'd fancy - just wanted to double check. Hope others with a casual acquaintance are reassured as well.

Given the apology that Swindon issued about their fans, I also assumed there might be a conflation of things - lot of misplaced anger with their recent ownership issues as well probably.

Anyway, last time I was around Swindon was an FA cup scalp in that appalling driving rain down at their place. I'll leave it there or it'll be on the war stories next (Hayes away was it?).

Thanks again.

By Chuds7/9 16:52Tue Sep 7 16:52:35 2021In response to Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 853

Never had the slightest issue with them personally.

1 person likes this 1 person

By WayBackWhen7/9 16:57Tue Sep 7 16:57:34 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 839

Cheers.

It's a bad look, perception and reality and all that - Hope the club are acting on it.

Look forward to getting down.

By Bragbury1067/9 22:09Tue Sep 7 22:09:05 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 611

it is not the fault of stewards they can only do so much at the ground.
if stevenage fc would have the right amount of police at the ground they could arrest the idiots who cause troble we have a police control room that was a complete waste of time and money built yet no police are ever in it, the fines we shall get from the f.a could have been used for the police to be in the ground.

By Hitchin Callling8/9 09:53Wed Sep 8 09:53:35 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 495

There were plenty of police at train station after game and they carted off one of them who was causing trouble.

By Ratman468/9 10:48Wed Sep 8 10:48:26 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 470

Paid for by the tax payer when outside of the Ground

By Hitchin Callling8/9 11:01Wed Sep 8 11:01:55 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 454

Agreed .Just pointing out by this that some at least of their supporters are idiots .

By Ratman468/9 14:31Wed Sep 8 14:31:27 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 415

Agreed, we also had a couple who decided to throw water bottles at their goal scorer.

By Chuds8/9 14:38Wed Sep 8 14:38:36 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 410

And didn't even hit him with them.

Don't bother if you can't even throw properly, knobends.

By WayBackWhen8/9 07:54Wed Sep 8 07:54:39 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 519

Just to be clear it was the story about the grandfather with Parkinson's that troubled me.

By SFC SLO (Cruffers)8/9 09:58Wed Sep 8 09:58:21 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 462

I can confirm that matter is being taken seriously and investigated.

By Bankerbob7/9 22:29Tue Sep 7 22:29:41 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 574

As in right amount (number!) >0?

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)7/9 22:28Tue Sep 7 22:28:44 2021In response to Re: Stewards?Top of thread

Views: 577

The ground is private property. If Phil wants police he has to pay for them.

And they are a lot more expensive than stewards.

If the safety advisory group tell Phil he needs police, Phil has to pay for them.

If fans behave like the grownups they are Phil can spend the money on the club.

The problem is not a lack of cops, its the lack of personal responsibility.

Previous thread: Farley doing a runner by Balders7/9 20:14Tue Sep 7 20:14:43 2021view thread