Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Match thread - Oldham Athletic (a) by Rob SBFCToday 21:35Today at 21:35:31view thread

Oldest article: BoroGuide Match Preview: Carlisle (H) by Pete19/3 11:05Fri Mar 19 11:05:41 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Stevenage Women v AFC Wimbledon by Paulio26/9 11:05Sun Sep 26 11:05:13 2021view thread

What happens first...

By Owen B18/9 18:14Sat Sep 18 18:14:38 2021

Views: 1265

... Revell leaves his role as manager or our home strip goes on sale?

Could be a close race.

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people

Re: What happens first...

By Lopo18/9 19:26Sat Sep 18 19:26:07 2021In response to What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 1071

Wallace won’t pull the trigger until at least Christmas.

We’ll get another manager advisor in before he’s gone.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))19/9 00:16Sun Sep 19 00:16:53 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 802

Ah. Wallace is gonna off Butch? You ITK?

Edited by Big Robbie (SBFC) at 00:17:38 on 19th September 2021

By Lopo21/9 15:32Tue Sep 21 15:32:26 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 646

Sauces are unconfirmed.

By saalina18/9 19:53Sat Sep 18 19:53:32 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 959

Pulls the trigger on what? It’s September. What does sacking a manager do for us other than to start the process all over again? The expectations this fanbase has is pathetic. A month ago all was wonderful.

3 people like this 3 people

By Lopo18/9 20:45Sat Sep 18 20:45:23 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 884

Out of interest, what’s your expectations for Stevenage in League Two?

By AgentEves18/9 22:53Sat Sep 18 22:53:51 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 795

I think we have assembled a squad that should be competing at the top of the Division. I think if Cheltenham, FGR, Morcambe and Accrington can get promoted, it's a reasonable expectation that we could too. I'd be happy with us being a L2-L1 yo-yo club.

By GarstonBoro22/9 15:46Wed Sep 22 15:46:13 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 527

Dream on, we are a National League side playing on fumes. Look at the last few seasons for gods sake

By Chuds22/9 18:42Wed Sep 22 18:42:05 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 470

Like when we had the 6th best form in the entire league across the final 30 matches of last season, you mean?

2 people like this 2 people

By Sev18/9 22:56Sat Sep 18 22:56:56 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 770

Certainly at the start of the season with the additions that were of a good calibre and probably not cheap we were all expecting a top half team at the very least.

Edited by Sev at 22:57:17 on 18th September 2021

By Themessiah18/9 20:36Sat Sep 18 20:36:57 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 881

We are ending up the same way we did last season before Wilkins came in, with the squad we got this is pathetic

By Freemo18/9 20:21Sat Sep 18 20:21:23 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 898

It's September and we already seem to be abandoning the system we spent the whole summer building around because we realised it was getting us clowned, just like we did last season.

By AgentEves18/9 20:12Sat Sep 18 20:12:03 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 925

"What does sacking a manager do for us."

Other than gives us an opportunity to bring someone in who understands the basic concepts of tactics...?

7 people like this 7 people

By saalina18/9 20:43Sat Sep 18 20:43:33 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 914

Whoever came in would be hounded out by January anyway. If I was a manager I simply would not waste my team even applying for our job, one of the least appealing prospects in the league

By Handyandy123/9 09:12Thu Sep 23 09:12:12 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 397

Utter nonsense

By RobW SFC19/9 00:39Sun Sep 19 00:39:47 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 720

If you were a lower league manager you wouldn’t apply for the job? That’ll feed the kids won’t it.

By Sev18/9 22:11Sat Sep 18 22:11:23 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 777

Can't agree with that.

We are a well run club off the pitch which provides stability for a manager. We have good set up and training facilities. Our budget certainly isn't the smallest in the league, we are probably mid to top half. Chairman and fans are usually quite patient and ambitious.

By all accounts we should be an appealing prospect if we pay the going rate for a manager.

5 people like this 5 people

By GarstonBoro22/9 15:52Wed Sep 22 15:52:00 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 514

Couldn’t agree more, we are a well run club. People don’t like it when I state that our team is very limited in ability, I don’t know what they see match in match out but I say they players and Revs are giving their best, we should get behind them not speculate on who could do better….

By AgentEves24/9 08:28Fri Sep 24 08:28:58 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 320

So just blindly cheer the team on as if that's going to magically fix things? Got it.

By Sev24/9 09:13Fri Sep 24 09:13:20 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 326

It won't magically fix things but it would create an environment where players (rightly or wrongly) aren't scared to try things and don't hide from the ball. If you have a crowd baying for blood then players go missing.

Of course if we are just shit it won't make a difference but if we actually have potential that's just not being fulfilled for whatever reason, then a supporting crowd with a pleasant environment surely assists in reaching that potential.

On forums and in conversation of course we criticise and moan about the shutness but I don't like that to spill over into matchday, as you are then already fighting a losing battle before a ball is kicked.

By AgentEves25/9 07:31Sat Sep 25 07:31:10 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 270

I agree with everything you're saying, but the line "but I say the players and Revs are giving their best, we should get behind them not speculate on who could do better…." gave me the impression he was talking about us jabbering away on here.

I dont like this idea that unless I'm being positive, I'm not being a proper fan.

I'm on here every week moaning, wasting countless hours of my life, even though I know it's pointless, because I give a shit about this team and I desperately want to see us do better. I don't think me writing on here is doing anything about it, but it gives me an outlet to voice my opinions, good and bad, and see what everyone else thinks. Surely that's why we're all here?

Sure, sometimes I get carried away with hyperbole, and sometimes I call people cunts and twats unjustifiably, but despite me not wanting to get up at 7am to watch this puddle of shit every week, I still do it, in the hopes that we might pull out a random 4-0 win one week. I wish I could just walk away from what is essentially a toxic relationship, but I can't. Supporting this club is part of who I am.

We need to be more demanding. What we are seeing isn't good enough. What we have seen since Westley left for Preston has never been good enough. We had so much forward momentum and it just... died. Somewhere at the bottom of Gary Smith's pockets.

We all put countless hours into supporting this club, and our undying loyalty is rewarded with one budget-friendly managerial appointment after another, that are all varying degrees of shit. I appreciate Wallace as a chairman and I appreciate the financial stability that he brings to the club, but he can't hire a manager to save his fucking life. I would honestly rather we spent the money from the bonds to pay for a manager who actually knows what they're doing than buying that shiny new stand that we can't afford to open half the time.

Let's just be real for a second. We all pussy foot around each other's opinions, but Revs isn't a manager. He doesn't have the capabilities required to be a manager. That is abundantly clear at this stage. As if it wasn't already obvious enough, he openly admitted last week that he doesn't know how to turn things around. Put the guy out of his misery for christ sake.

He cannot manage the team during the game and that is the absolute bare minimum that I would expect from a manager. Whether or not he has the required players to change the game is irrelevant. He doesn't attempt to change anything. Ever. He makes like-for-like subs, except for the odd occasion where he tries to shut up shop when we are winning and invariably fucks it up.

People can talk about our form last season all they want, but we all know that the turn around was Wilkins. He comes in and then overnight everything changes and we stop losing. And people are actually debating whether it was Revs or Wilkins? Give me a fucking break.

And even then, the football last season was fucking dreadful. If I have to watch one more season of us grinding out results against shit like Walsall and Oldham, I'm gonna completely lose interest.

Without being able to go to the ground and actually be there, it has become painfully obvious how shit the football is. But the thing that bugs me is that it doesn't have to be shit. Forest Green are playing well, Morcambe got promoted, Accrington got promoted, Harrogate are up the top. Meanwhile we just stagnate, season after season. We might as well just merge with Crawley and be done with it. At least then we might get 5,000 fans through the turnstiles once in a while.

We used to be someone. We were giant killers. We were a team that people talked about. The closest we've come to being relevant over the past few years is when everyone took the piss out of us for the Burger King jerseys.

We need a better manager. We need a coach with a decent track record who is hungry to succeed and who has the fire to win. And we need to stop digging change out from the sofa cushions to pay for them. Hire a decent fucking manager, for once. For once please can we just hire someone who isn't a cheap option or a gamble. Teddy Sheringham? What a fucking joke. Sarll? Cheap. Dino? Cheap. Westley? Desperation hire. Sampson? Damaged goods. Revs? Cheap.

The merry go round of Sampson and Revs over the last 3 seasons is enough to be mad about alone. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 1 genuinely good game in the past 3 seasons; the 4-0 win away at Cambridge, and that was fucking Westley. I dont care who's in charge, who's behind the tactics, or whatever anymore. Please can we just get rid of them all so we can all move on with our lives.

I'm just fed up. I used to love supporting Stevenage. It felt like we had an identity. It felt like we were going somewhere. Now it's just a fucking grind and it's miserable. I never, ever thought I'd walk away from this club, but I'm precariously close. Sometimes I just wish I didn't care so much.

4 people like this 4 people

By Tucks25/9 11:14Sat Sep 25 11:14:47 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 244

“ We need to be more demanding. What we are seeing isn't good enough. What we have seen since Westley left for Preston has never been good enough. We had so much forward momentum and it just... died. Somewhere at the bottom of Gary Smith's pockets.”

I remember a game early-ish in Smith’s reign at home. We were at the sharp end of League One but the performance was a bit flat and the murmurs started in the ET. Lairdy came over to take a throw in and motioned for the crowd to calm down, naturally stirring things up further.

I’m not even sure what point I’m trying to make is, it’s just a marked change being frustrated because we weren’t playing well but in a good position in League One to the current general apathy while an also-ran at best in League Two. Talk about tempering expectations.

By Sev25/9 08:39Sat Sep 25 08:39:27 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 268

They say the tough times make the good times better.

Which is all well and good as long as the good times come!

Last few years cricket has become much more enjoyable for me than football.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)25/9 11:27Sat Sep 25 11:27:12 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 236

My wife and daughter have got tickets for next years T20 finals day.

By Pete (PeteH)25/9 10:24Sat Sep 25 10:24:35 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 235

That surely depends if you're a white ball or red ball cricket fan. Because England's Test team are shite. The only reason England won't lose the Ashes this winter is because they won't happen.

By Owen B25/9 08:42Sat Sep 25 08:42:03 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 257

That is because cricket is brilliant.

By Freemo25/9 09:37Sat Sep 25 09:37:59 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 250

I only follow the England men's Test team and I'm not sure I agree any more.

By Sev25/9 19:55Sat Sep 25 19:55:55 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 193

Haha, I can imagine.

By Owen B25/9 10:21Sat Sep 25 10:21:40 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 321

No, not a golden period for the men's test team by any stretch. Still good in the white ball stuff. Women's team also good in white ball cricket, sad they only very rarely play tests.

By SFCfox25/9 08:10Sat Sep 25 08:10:19 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 265

For me, the main reason we constantly under perform every season is because we hire and fire too quickly. Every season we bin off twenty players and sign twenty more, then expect results from day one with a team full of strangers.

We don't have the money to buy the best players, so we need a process in place where we gradually build the best squad.

Give Revs and co a chance, otherwise it'll be another two+ years of rebuilding, which i can't be bothered with. I don't know the facts, but we must have the highest turnover of players in the football league?

By AgentEves25/9 14:19Sat Sep 25 14:19:03 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 234

"Give Revs and co a chance, otherwise it'll be another two+ years of rebuilding."

Mentally, I can't. Revs has been involved with this squad since, what, the start of the 2019-20 season? And we have been fucking shit the entire time, with the exception of the second half of last season where it was shit but we were grinding out reasonably decent results.

I really dont think our turnover has been a) that bad and b) unjustified. The only sacking that I think was unfair was Westley after he got us into the playoffs. We finally got a bit of forward momentum and we changed it unnecessarily. I understand why it happened, but it was stupidity.

Since Westley left for Preston (January 2012) we have had:
> Gary Smith: 13 months. Sacked after losing 14 out of 18 games.
> Graham Westley: 26 months. Not offered a new contract despite us finishing in the League Two playoffs.
> Teddy Sheringham: 8 months. Sacked because it was a stupid experiment and Sheringham never wanted to be there in the first place.
> Darren Sarll: 25 months. I dont remember things being that bad, but I remember feeling like we were going backwards.
> Dino Maamria: 18 months. Sacked after a dreadful start to the 2018-19 season. Some suggested it was too soon at the time, but given everything that has happened since I'm glad to see the back of him.
> Mark Sampson (interim): 3 months. Sacked after 2 wins from 14. Arguably the most boring football I've watched in the last 20 years.
> Graham Westley: 3 months. Sacked after 2 wins from 15. A completely pointless endeavor hiring Westley and giving him 3 months when we knew for a fact that Westley wasn't/isn't a firefighter.
> Alex Revell: 19 months (and counting).

So we went through a bit of a merry-go-round after Dino. We realistically should have stuck with Sampson until after the transfer window, since hiring Westley for 3 months was pointless. But otherwise, I seem to remember that every one of those sackings was justified at the time.

I really dont think Wallace is trigger happy and I really think that most of those managers were given more than enough time to sort things out. If you're not getting reasonably decent results after 12 months in charge, I find it very difficult to believe that things are going to all of a sudden miraculously turn around (obviously there are exceptions). More to the point, I think you need to look at how the manager approaches things during that time, and whether he is showing signs of improving, both as a manager and in terms of results.

Personally, I don't think much has changed since Revell has come in. Sure, there have been upswings and downswings, but there hasn't been a period of time where I have been genuinely happy with Revs in charge. I was convincing myself that things had improved in the 2nd half of last season (and admittedly the results were much better) but it was still brutal to watch most of the time. Then you add in my points about Revs' in-game management and whether he has improved as a manager. Again, I don't think things are any better now than they were a year ago.

In fact, I went and looked up the stats to see if my feeling was correct... So far this season we have played 8 games, with 2 wins (first two games), 2 draws and 4 losses. In the first 8 games of last season we had 1 win, 2 draws and 5 losses. So we are 3pts better off this season than last. Hardly a marked improvement.

Edited by AgentEves at 14:21:23 on 25th September 2021

By Owen B25/9 08:41Sat Sep 25 08:41:16 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 258

I only started this post as a cheap joke about how tinpot we have been with the new kit launches. Haha.

By Owen B22/9 16:25Wed Sep 22 16:25:01 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 509

Well, that would kill a message board solely based on the discussion of opinions of the club and team.

By GarstonBoro22/9 18:25Wed Sep 22 18:25:24 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 455

So only your opinion, or let’s say anti management opinions, count eh?
Good way to shut down discussion but sorry it’s not going to work

By Owen B22/9 18:51Wed Sep 22 18:51:20 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 459

Literally not what I said.

Edit: It was a response based on your last sentence

we should get behind them not speculate on who could do better

Which sounds very much like you're the one who's shutting down discussion. Idle speculation and differing opinions are the point of the forum.

Edited by Owen B at 18:59:16 on 22nd September 2021

By Pete (PeteH)18/9 20:51Sat Sep 18 20:51:11 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 849

Disagree.

Think we're quite a patience fanbase.

But the results of late have been alarming. I also don't see anyone being hounded out.

By GarstonBoro22/9 15:53Wed Sep 22 15:53:27 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 473

We ha had a tough run of fixtures…things will v
Change

By Owen B18/9 20:44Sat Sep 18 20:44:19 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 860

You really think this is much different to most other League 2 jobs?

By Ratman4618/9 20:47Sat Sep 18 20:47:26 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 846

If we won some games and the manager looked like he had a clue I doubt we'd be hounding him out.

By AgentEves19/9 07:39Sun Sep 19 07:39:11 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 691

I dont even think winning games is essential.

But the looking like you have a clue is critical.

The season we got relegated with Westley was atrocious, but it wasn't for a lack of trying. We tried every permutation under the sun, and because of Westley being proactive in finding a solution, it meant that there was always the chance that things would turn around. Even after we got relegated, it was still brutal. There were bizarre choices going on but, ultimately, his wacky methodology eventually lead to a winning formula and we got into the playoffs.

My point is not about Westley. Its the fact that even when things were going badly, the negativity didn't take too strong of a hold because at least it felt like he was trying relentlessly to find something that worked. He was actively trying to fix issues and find solutions.

Instead, Revs is just putting the same thing out week after week. And therein lies my biggest complaint; Revs' complete reluctance/inability to change things mid-game or from game to game. Like literally nothing has changed between the start of the season and now.

If you are a coach worth anything, you should be making adjustments throughout the game in order to try and affect the game and get the win. And then between games you should be analyzing your weaknesses and making efforts to mitigate them.

How many times do we have to concede 4 goals in a game before something changes? Once should have been enough.

By GarstonBoro22/9 15:56Wed Sep 22 15:56:46 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 473

Have you seen what’s on the bench? Revs does what he can with the players available.

By AgentEves24/9 08:31Fri Sep 24 08:31:07 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 311

He doesn't though.

He does what he is capable of. Which isn't very much. But I would suggest if he just played a normal fucking formation then we'd at least have half a chance.

By Owen B18/9 20:50Sat Sep 18 20:50:09 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 843

I'm not entirely sure we're "hounding out" Revs (yet), or at least not the majority. I'm sort of on the fence, but wouldn't be disappointed if he was to go.

By Ratman4618/9 20:57Sat Sep 18 20:57:00 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 833

Agree, don't think we are.

He'll get more time like I said earlier, probably till Xmas unless we see zero improvement and are bottom at the end of October, who'd want the job then tho.

By SFC Jonny19/9 08:18Sun Sep 19 08:18:52 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 647

Sampson or Wilkins...

Edited by SFC Jonny at 08:22:29 on 19th September 2021

By Sev18/9 20:33Sat Sep 18 20:33:01 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 862

My worry is who we bring in and Wallace's track record.

Could work, could not.

By Pete (PeteH)18/9 20:52Sat Sep 18 20:52:16 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 820

Jermaine Jenas?

By Sev18/9 22:15Sat Sep 18 22:15:59 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 743

Sounds about right!

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)18/9 20:37Sat Sep 18 20:37:04 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 833

Well this one isn’t working.

By Owen B18/9 19:55Sat Sep 18 19:55:38 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 872

It really depends whether you still believe Revell has the capacity and ability to improve (considerably) over the course of the next few months. If he doesn't, then we're just wasting time.

By Owen B18/9 19:26Sat Sep 18 19:26:52 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 945

And the home kit? Still touch and go.

By Lopo18/9 19:44Sat Sep 18 19:44:09 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 906

Next years will go on sale first.

By Pete (PeteH)18/9 20:47Sat Sep 18 20:47:25 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 818

Do we have an away shirt yet?

By Owen B18/9 20:48Sat Sep 18 20:48:34 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 821

No. We have released the third shirt. The home shirt is going on sale in October (!). And the away kit is yet to be unveiled. Perfectly normal club.

4 people like this 4 people

By Sev18/9 22:17Sat Sep 18 22:17:00 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 767

This coming week we should get sight of the away shirt. How exciting. Maybe we will wear it. Just as everyone buys the purple shirt, it won't be worn again.

By GarstonBoro22/9 15:58Wed Sep 22 15:58:03 2021In response to Re: What happens first... Top of thread

Views: 492

Fair play to people with £40 to throw away

Previous thread: Harrogate prediction by Bragbury10625/9 08:14Sat Sep 25 08:14:02 2021view thread