Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Rev's Interview by SevToday 21:25Today at 21:25:59view thread

Oldest article: BoroGuide Match Preview: Carlisle (H) by Pete19/3 11:05Fri Mar 19 11:05:41 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Fifa 22 by Tucks22/9 12:06Wed Sep 22 12:06:17 2021view thread

Is Revs the one?

By Boromatt19/9 14:33Sun Sep 19 14:33:07 2021

Views: 909

Very disappointing afternoon yesterday. That was one of our worst performances for a long long time and to see us back 21st place after 8 games (yes it’s still early) is very frustrating.

I’ve been mentioning on here for quite a few weeks about the fact that we have been an easy team to play against. We’ve missed that strong foundation which we had at the back end of last season, difficult to play against and therefore picked up many good results, with some good stats to show. This season it just seems we’ve ignored all of that and have adopted a new style of play. A style of play which after the recent results suggests it isn’t working and there needs to be a change in the teams set up.

1. I watch the highlights every week in League Two and the amount of goals that are scored from crosses into the box is abundant. I look at a lot of the goals we’ve conceded this season and quite a few from memory have been from crosses into the box. But yet, we leave our flanks isolated to play this new system. We have some really talented players, but play with hardly any width at times.

2. I think teams have also sussed us on how we play out from the back. The last two games I’ve seen us pressured immensely and we’ve given the ball away cheaply in dangerous areas, just like yesterday. To me there doesn’t seem to be a plan B and it’s like we’re only trying to play one way at the moment.

The penultimate question, is Revs the man for the job? Yesterday was appalling, however, I don’t think our situation is as bad as feared. We have some really good players, something which we haven’t had in the past. I believe there is good enough players at the club to see us mid table/above. It’s just the tactics IMO. I do believe Revs can turn this around, but only with finding other ways to play rather than the same style, BUT, he has to make us hard to beat, like last season. I would certainly give Revs October and into the winter months, but a win now is even more important to get things back on track.

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people

Re: Is Revs the one?

By SFC Jonny19/9 17:10Sun Sep 19 17:10:57 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 641

On tactics, I'm hardly an expert and don't pretend to be, but looking at the formation yesterday - were we meant to be a 3-4-2-1?

For most of the game they put us under pressure it was almost like we reverted to a back 7, with the front 3 totally isolated.

When Norris, List & Andrade did pick up the ball, it was generally around the half way line, and at that stage we're asking them to carry the ball for half the pitch before creating a chance.

We need some width, need to push out from the back, and need the midfield to take control of the game.

3 people like this 3 people

By AgentEves20/9 14:38Mon Sep 20 14:38:48 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 329

"On tactics, I'm hardly an expert and don't pretend to be, but looking at the formation yesterday - were we meant to be a 3-4-2-1?"

That's how I saw it. Which was bonkers, IMO, for a couple of reasons:

Firstly, Coker isn't a left-sided centre back. If you look at his overall skillet, he is substantially better going forward than he is at defending. Not only that, but his attacking greatly benefits the team. Playing him as a centre back not only exposes the weaker side of his game, but also completely prevents him from contributing going forward.

Secondly, why did we voluntarily start with a makeshift back 3? With TVC out, we only had 3 centre backs: Marshall, Prosser and Cuthbert. I could have understood if we started with those 3 and had to move Coker to LCB when Cuthbert went off injured, but to start with a makeshift back 3 just seems mental to me. It's not like we have been playing with with back 3 all season and played players out of position to retain our shape.

Lastly, List isn't a #10. Nor is he a right winger. He is completely ineffectual in both positions. He needs to be playing up front, on the last defender. His main attributes are speed and finishing, so put him in a position where he will get the most opportunity to utilize those strengths.

To me, that choice in formation just shows a complete lack of ability to highlight our strengths/weaknesses and devise a system that gets the most out of the players. You've gone from a formation which, despite how utterly shit it is, does actually play most players in their most effective positions, to a formation that plays multiple players out of position.

The worst part for me was that it was pretty obvious it wasn't working, and yet Revs did nothing about it. Just kept plugging away hoping it would miraculously change. If the formation and team selection wasn't bad enough, the lack of changes just highlighted, once again, that Revs is incapable of any in-game management.

I appreciate that we tried something different, finally, but the change actually made me more pissed off about us persevering with Revs. I dont actually care that we lost 4-0; sometimes shit happens. I care that we lost 4-0 because Revs doesn't know what he's doing. That loss was 100% down to him. Even if Wilkins has a hand in the tactics, the buck stops with Revs because he is the manager.

The strengths and weaknesses in our squad are glaringly obvious, IMO:

List needs to start up front with Norris every game that both are fit. Neither are good as lone strikers; Norris lacks the pace and List lacks the hold-up play. That means they both need to play, which means we should be start by looking at formations with 2 forwards. 4-4-2 & 3-5-2 are the most basic 2-striker formations, so we should start by looking at those two.

IMO, 3-5-2 is a non-starter unless we sign at least one new centre back. A back 3 of TVC, Cuthbert and Marshall wouldn't be a total disaster, but ultimately I don't know if Marshall is good enough, and we have to be questioning Cuthbert's reliability at this point. We can't build a system based on a back 3 when we only have 4 senior centre backs, one of which spends half the time injured and another of which is Prosser. While Prosser offers some nice balance being left footed, he's too slow and his passing is too poor. Similarly, while Cuthbert has been great for us over the past few seasons, I think this has to be his last, and we need to start thinking about his replacement.

That basically leaves us with 4-4-2. Now there's a few midfield permutations in there: a flat 4 with two wide and two central; a diamond 4 with one holding, one attacking and two central shuttlers; and Revs' revolutionary 2-2 midfield. We have already seen that the 2-2 midfield doesn't work so I see absolutely zero point in continuing with it at this point. That leaves us with the diamond midfield and a flat-4.

The diamond midfield has one major commonality with the 2-2 formation that will potentially mean it won't work, and that's the lack of width. Personally, I think the diamond midfield addresses the width issue much better than the 2-2 does, because at least you have 2 players who are designated sides and who are responsible for covering the lateral spaces. Given our lack of wingers, the diamond midfield could be worth a try. Read would be an obvious option as the left-sided shuttler, while Osborne and Reeves would be decent options as the right-sided shuttler. We have Lines and Taylor who can rotate as the deep midfielder, and it would allow us to play Carter in his actual position; as a #10. We then have Smith as another backup who could play either of the shuttler roles.

Like I said previously, I'd be worried about the lack of width from the diamond. While it's better defensively than the 2-2, it doesn't offer any width going forward. We would still be leaving our full backs exposed and continuing to rely heavily on Wildin and Coker for attacking width. That said, I do think it would be worth a try as it does allow us to play the most players in their most effective positions.

Realistically our priority needs to be addressing the biggest problem we have faced this season: the lack of width. I think this should probably take priority over the need to play everyone in their best positions. The flat-4 midfield accomplishes that, while also allowing us to play List and Norris up front. Read, Smith and Osborne have all shown that they can play well in the wide positions, and Carter and Reeves can also do job there, too. We also have Andrade, who, despite being a defensive liability, can play on either wing, as well. As much as the footballing world has moved on from 4-4-2, that is ultimately because so many elite footballers don't really fit into what is quite a rigid system. We don't have elite footballers, and ultimately a rigid system is far more suitable for lower league football than a fluid one. Everyone knows their role, which leaves less responsibility with the players to make decisions, and it offers decent defensive stability.

The best part about 4-4-2 with a flat 4 midfield? We did it last year and it fucking worked.

TL;DR: we need to play 4-4-2.

4 people like this 4 people

By Bumble20/9 17:01Mon Sep 20 17:01:48 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 291

Really enjoyed this Post
You have obviously got to much time on your hands.
Can't argue with any of that
Other than Pross definately lacks Pace but his passing Saturday was good.
People can't keep offering him up as the reason we are losing.
I realise I haven't done him any favours on here by backing him lol
4-4-2 is a no brainer.
Trying to be cleaver and copy the new way football is supposed to be played is bollocks.
It's about ultimately winning football matches.
Besides, for me the New Age Football has spoilt the game as a spectacle and became bloody boring.
Possession Football YAWN
Pep has alot to answer for.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Ratman4620/9 17:46Mon Sep 20 17:46:59 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 272

Agree with both posts. Tippy tappy football with very little shots at goal is like watching paint dry.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))19/9 20:49Sun Sep 19 20:49:08 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 467

Norris should be an absolute nightmare to play against. The fact he isn’t suggests he isn’t interested

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)20/9 12:42Mon Sep 20 12:42:36 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 351

I think that's a bit unfair on Norris. When he won the ball on Saturday (he had to win it, barley anything got played into him) there was nobody within 30m of him. He was very isolated up top on Saturday

By SFCfox20/9 17:27Mon Sep 20 17:27:30 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 316

Norris is an intelligent footballer. For a lot of our fanbase he doesn't show PASHUN like Chris Beardsley did so he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))23/9 10:53Thu Sep 23 10:53:00 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 281

Irrelevant. I was taking about the fact he could be a really good player. He isn't because he isn't interested. Probably why he plays for Stevenage FC

By Themessiah19/9 17:08Sun Sep 19 17:08:26 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 578

No he isn't the one and at the minute it will take a miracle to turn things around

By Tucks19/9 16:48Sun Sep 19 16:48:12 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 627

Football is a simple game. People try to over complicate it. We’re doing that at the moment. You can do very well in League Two (arguably up to Championship level) with a team of cloggers if you have them well drilled and playing to their strengths. We don’t need to reinvent the wheel and at times it feels like we’re trying to. This isn’t a bad squad by any stretch of the imagination. Which means the fault has to lie at the door of the coaching staff and ultimately the manager.

There seems to be a stubbornness that we are going to play this system even if it kills us. Sometimes you have to be pragmatic, there’s none of that on show right now. Arguably there never has been under Revs. As with young players, a young manager should be showing signs of progress in his role. I’m not sure Revs has done so and the honeymoon period is well over by now.

6 people like this 6 people

By AgentEves20/9 14:40Mon Sep 20 14:40:20 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 286

100% absolutely spot on.

By Ratman4619/9 16:10Sun Sep 19 16:10:28 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 627

No

But he'll get more time so we'll see if he can turn around this run of 8 without a win.

By jayess19/9 16:05Sun Sep 19 16:05:36 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 631

'Yesterday was appalling, however, I don’t think our situation is as bad as feared.'

What do you mean by this? How bad did you fear it was going to be?

By Boromatt19/9 17:08Sun Sep 19 17:08:22 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 586

Spoke to a few people yesterday who think we’re getting relegated. Yesterday was bad, but I think we will be absolutely fine. Recently we’ve had seasons where things have gone wrong and deep down I never really believed we’ve had the quality to turn things around (2019-2020 season). This team I feel completely different. We’ve got some excellent players and with the right tactics we’ll be fine.

Edited by Boromatt at 17:08:44 on 19th September 2021

By Pete (PeteH)19/9 17:51Sun Sep 19 17:51:41 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 544

Notts County probably thought they'd be fine. Where are we now? Two or three failed attempts to get out of the Conference.

We go down, we will go down again.

By Boromatt19/9 17:53Sun Sep 19 17:53:59 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 553

If I’m correct I think Notts county had quite an ageing side? It can happen with the big clubs, just take a look at the conference and some of the sides in there.

By Pete (PeteH)19/9 18:31Sun Sep 19 18:31:55 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 523

Age is a number Matt.

By Tucks19/9 17:39Sun Sep 19 17:39:13 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 537

I think it’s worth noting that we absolutely could get relegated. Once you get behind it can be hard to claw back points. Just because our team a couple of seasons ago was a disgrace to the game of football that doesn’t mean better teams haven’t, or can’t get relegated.

We probably won’t go down. But pre-season the expectation level was top half, potentially even a run at the play-offs. If we’re trading down that hope already then it’s not a good sign. We’re very early on in the campaign and a couple of wins puts us right back in the mix. Will we get them playing as we currently are? Probably not. Therein lies the problem.

By SFC Jonny19/9 17:13Sun Sep 19 17:13:43 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 558

What would be "fine" to you? Staying up?

With the squad we have, I'd say top half is a reasonable ask this year.

I'd take lower mid table so long as we aren't at serious risk of going down.

Yet another season of trying to escape relegation isn't fine.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 18:15Sun Sep 19 18:15:21 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 528

Hence my comment about Groundhog Day. There’ll be someone along in a minute to claim that it’s a season of consolidation. Which, by my estimate, makes it 7 seasons of consolidation in a row. I’m ever so pleased that my money is helping to make us the most consolidated team in history.

By Jonnym819/9 19:12Sun Sep 19 19:12:23 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 572

It’s a season of consolidation dont you know

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 19:14Sun Sep 19 19:14:10 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 493

Yes, and we should thank our lucky stars that we have a team to support.

By Chuds19/9 18:41Sun Sep 19 18:41:54 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 509

Just four points off the playoffs.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 18:46Sun Sep 19 18:46:33 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 492

Did those mirrored aviators have the mirrors on the inside?

By Ratman4619/9 18:20Sun Sep 19 18:20:08 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 508

Be thankful we still have a club will be next.

Still not convinced PW wants a promotion as we can't afford it.

By Pete (PeteH)19/9 18:32Sun Sep 19 18:32:32 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 507

Not 100% sure Phil still wants in

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 18:47Sun Sep 19 18:47:18 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 499

I’ve heard this a fair bit. Is there any substance to it?

By Owen B19/9 18:21Sun Sep 19 18:21:38 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 496

If he doesn't want promotion then what is the point?

By Tucks19/9 18:24Sun Sep 19 18:24:30 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 495

Because we have a club. We should be thankful for that.

By Themessiah19/9 18:24Sun Sep 19 18:24:19 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 495

If he doesn't want the team fighting for success then wat is the point

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))19/9 20:56Sun Sep 19 20:56:07 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 420

I’m sure he does want the team fighting for success, but what is obvious over the last 20 years is he doesn’t know much about football. He eventually got lucky with Westley. Other appointments have been PR jobs - TS and EEMPT, or the cheapest option. He then patronises the cheapo option by getting in a cheap / desperate for a job coach to mentor.

It’s so obvious he needs to spend money on someone who knows the league and can command a bit of respect. Right now though Rev might be all he can afford???

By Themessiah19/9 21:05Sun Sep 19 21:05:54 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 404

Well then that's all that will happen

By Jonnym819/9 19:13Sun Sep 19 19:13:48 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 476

Of course he wants a team challenging for promotion. Anyone saying otherwise is talking nonsense.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 18:25Sun Sep 19 18:25:22 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 687

Yes but, Instagram stories and Lawnmower Simulator.

By Owen B19/9 16:01Sun Sep 19 16:01:51 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 612

If your penultimate question is "is Revs the man for the job?", what is your ultimate question?

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)19/9 16:56Sun Sep 19 16:56:10 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 561

Is there a god?

By Richie Rich C19/9 14:54Sun Sep 19 14:54:21 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 676

Matt , you have me confused so please help me clarify your points of yesterday on social media and Now here .

On social media you implied it wasn’t the clubs problem where the team find it’s self at ? What did you mean by that please ?

Then here you have just said Revs should stay but in your argument t you state that the tactics are at fault ?

I would think the tactics come from revs and I would argue that for the team to be as poor as it is for so long then the club is the issue , some might go as far as to say the club and the team are actually all part of one big problem .

Could you for us hard of seeing please explain what you really mean please ?

Cheers

Rich

By Boromatt19/9 17:20Sun Sep 19 17:20:31 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 537

No worries!

There were quite a few comments on social media calling the football club a disgrace. “Pathetic club, embarrassment, wish the club would fold”, were some examples. I don’t think that’s particularly fair IMO. The club was a shining light during the bad times in the pandemic helping so many people, not to mention the hard work that’s gone into the community, providing opportunities for kids to attend matches and overall hard working people who are employed by the club throughout the season. Yes the club as a whole does involve the football, but I didn’t see anyone targeting the club as a “disgrace” when we had a cracking end to the season last season and that was with the same people in charge. If Revs isn’t up to it, I’m sure that’ll be dealt with, but some of the comments on social media I felt was unfair.

I think Revs should be given a little longer to show and prove that he can change things. If he can’t and October is similar to the past couple of weeks, I think he’s time could be up.

Hope that clears it up mate!

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 15:12Sun Sep 19 15:12:01 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 670

“some might go as far as to say the club and the team are actually all part of one big problem”

Precisely.

This is Groundhog Day. We, as supporters, have had the same discussions for the last few seasons with reference to a succession of failing managers/management teams/squads of players. On paper, we appear to have a decent squad this season, but the same problems are obvious to all. Actually, obvious to most. There’ll always be some people that are either blind to the problems or are more intent on trying to inveigle their way into the club’s knickers.

4 people like this 4 people

By Boromatt19/9 17:24Sun Sep 19 17:24:39 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 679

I do agree Geoff. The one thing I’ll be honest about with the club is some of the appointments over the years have been poor. There’s been a trend of appointing managers with not a lot of experience. The first season goes fine, but then the second tenure goes to crap.

I hope it’s not the same with Revs, I think his a top lad and seems very driven. Only time will tell.

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 17:47Sun Sep 19 17:47:11 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 526

Perhaps Revs’s saving grace - at least at this moment - is that he’s genuinely likeable. I base this entirely on what I’ve heard from others as I’ve never met him. The one time I met a footballer I looked up to, I turned into a gibbering wreck. That was Charlie Nicholas in 1986. Actually, I tell I lie. I’ve also met Mark Roberts and Joel Byrom, who also turned me into gibbering wrecks.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))19/9 20:58Sun Sep 19 20:58:48 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 421

If you tried to keep up with Chaz on the er chaz, I’m not surprised you were gibbering

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)19/9 18:03Sun Sep 19 18:03:53 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 504

Isn't it craft beer that does that to you?

By Ogs (Geoff Wode)19/9 18:11Sun Sep 19 18:11:06 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 504

Speaking of which, there’s another article on wild swimming in the Guardian. The world is healing.

By Richie Rich C19/9 15:33Sun Sep 19 15:33:58 2021In response to Re: Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 644

Precisely it’s about time the editor of the daily Stevenage for instance realised Phil is not going to sleep with him

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)19/9 14:46Sun Sep 19 14:46:33 2021In response to Is Revs the one? Top of thread

Views: 687

Didn’t read.

Answer: No

Previous thread: Match Thread Swindon by S4 Boro4/9 14:04Sat Sep 4 14:04:30 2021view thread