Borochat

Proud sponsors of Alex Revell & Lily Bruno

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Papa John's by AndyCToday 07:57Today at 07:57:21view thread

Oldest article: BoroGuide Match Preview: Cam Utd (A) by Pete24/4 07:59Sat Apr 24 07:59:20 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Revs Post Oxford Interview Random Info by Hitchin Callling7/10 09:12Thu Oct 7 09:12:36 2021view thread

Match thread - Hartlepool (h)

By Owen B2/10 14:08Sat Oct 2 14:08:51 2021

Views: 1173

Team news for this afternoon's Sky Bet League Two clash against Hartlepool United can now be confirmed...

Alex Revell names just one change from last weekend's draw at Harrogate Town, with Bruno Andrade coming in for Brad Barry.

Stevenage: Anang, James-Wildin, Coker, Reeves, Cuthbert, List, Taylor, Osborne, Andrade, Vancooten, Reid.

Subs: Bastien, Prosser, Norris, Smith, Marshall, Townsend-West, Tinubu.

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people

Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)

By Hitchin Callling4/10 11:23Mon Oct 4 11:23:17 2021In response to Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 467

Injury wise we are down to bare bones and having to fill bench with yoof.Hope Lines at least is back soon. Just realised what an influence he is to team.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)4/10 12:02Mon Oct 4 12:02:56 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 455

Normal October for us then.

By Hitchin Callling4/10 12:08Mon Oct 4 12:08:05 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 451

And to add the fun we have the dry rot trophy tomorrow and per the rules cannot just put out a yoof team.

By Nate2/10 18:49Sat Oct 2 18:49:13 2021In response to Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 719

Impressed with our lot today. Had to endure a few spells of pressure and rode it out well. Movement in the middle of the park was better and we put some nice passing moves together to progress forward. Big fan of Reeves and Taylor in the middle. Massive bonus that we scored two very nicely worked goals.

Hartlepool moved the ball around nicely but didn't often threaten (other than that header and the volley over the bar in the second half).

Elliot Osbourne put a couple of nice moves together, but was still really poor overall.

By AgentEves4/10 17:56Mon Oct 4 17:56:57 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 408

"Elliot Osbourne put a couple of nice moves together, but was still really poor overall."

Another start for Osborne and another win...

By Ratman465/10 07:33Tue Oct 5 07:33:34 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 371

Didn't he setup List for the second as well?

By Nate5/10 10:04Tue Oct 5 10:04:32 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 350

He did, and it was a very, very good pass. Perfectly weighted and placed.

I'm not sure when it became unacceptable to not be happy with a players performance because they put two good passes in over 90 minutes;

His work off the ball is borderline non-existent. He doesn't track his man or afford the defender behind him any protection. He doesn't press. His passing has been woeful at times.

By AgentEves5/10 18:58Tue Oct 5 18:58:00 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 283

"I'm not sure when it became unacceptable to not be happy with a players performance because they put two good passes in over 90 minutes"

Have you not been on Borochat for the last 5 years? Every time I criticise a defender for not being able to pass the ball 10 yards, I get slaughtered, saying that I'm expecting too much from a League Two defender.

Anyway, my point wasn't so much that you should be happy with a player's performance because they put two good passes in over 90 minutes, it was more the fact that, in my opinion, Osborne is criminally underrated.

I'm not sure if you saw the stats I posted about Osborne over the past 9/10 months, of our record when he has started vs when he has come off the bench vs when he hasn't been used at all. (/forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/borochat/article/511880) If you don't want to read it all: in the 20 games he has started since Jan 26, 2021 (of a possible 36), we have won 9, drawn 9, lost 3. By comparison, in the 7 games he has been used as a sub, we have won 2, drawn 3, lost 3, and in the 10 games he did not start, we have won 3, drawn 1, lost 6. Now obviously you could argue causation vs correlation, but that's a pretty reasonable sample size and it pretty heavily favours Osborne starting.

I personally think he is one of our most important players.

By Dave (daveadkins)6/10 18:07Wed Oct 6 18:07:06 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 188

You're expecting too much from a league 2 forum as well.

By Nate5/10 20:01Tue Oct 5 20:01:07 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 275

I joined Boro chat about 18 months ago.

I don't make a point of making a note of who gets slaughtered and who doesn't.

The stats do seem to suggest he makes us better but it's smacks me as coincidental. All I can tell you is that when I'm stood on the East Watching him out of position, not tracking back or putting any pressure on the opposition and giving the ball away incredibly cheaply it's not surprising to any of us stood there. It's the same thing we see every week. A lot of that you're not going to see on iFollow.

By Dave (daveadkins)6/10 18:07Wed Oct 6 18:07:38 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 181

That's even if he bothers to get up and watch it too.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Ratman465/10 11:07Tue Oct 5 11:07:48 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 323

Perfectly acceptable to criticise a players performance, they get enough of it on here. Just pointing out the positive which effectively killed the game off. At 1-0 I wouldn't be comfortable we'd be able to hold on.

Others don't do some of that either, lets hope this improves across the board

By Nate5/10 11:10Tue Oct 5 11:10:42 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 345

yeah fair. Saw a number of people saying Osbourne played well on Saturday and I just can't see how people can ignore the bad on the occasion he does something good.

Yeah, there are a few that don't track back quick enough, he's noticeably the worst of the bunch imo.

By Specky (Mike H)5/10 10:25Tue Oct 5 10:25:50 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 324

Might as well add that he should have scored as well, and we have the full set there.

By Nate5/10 10:47Tue Oct 5 10:47:02 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 307

Yeah - the miss was bad. I'd actually forgotten about it tbh.

By Nate5/10 01:43Tue Oct 5 01:43:05 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 377

So because Osbourne started and the team won there's no way he can have performed poorly?

By AgentEves5/10 19:00Tue Oct 5 19:00:22 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 276

Where did I say that?

My opinion is that we are better as a team with Osborne in the starting lineup than we are without him.

I'm really shocked to hear that you don't think he works hard defensively. I didn't watch the game on Saturday, so can't comment about that specifically, but I've never noticed it before. I will pay more attention to it, but I'm surprised to hear him criticized for it.

By Nate5/10 20:04Tue Oct 5 20:04:00 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 278

Where did I say that?
The comment I responded to inferred that as he'd laid on an assist, he couldn't have played poorly. He didn't necessarily say that, but that's what I took from it.

I wasn't making any reference to your comment, whatsoever.

Edited by Nate at 20:04:09 on 5th October 2021
Edited by Nate at 20:05:41 on 5th October 2021

By Chuds5/10 21:01Tue Oct 5 21:01:42 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 259

His defensive work isn't actually something I have picked up on either way, as being good or bad (whereas Daly is instantly picked up on as being fantastic, for instance). I will try to remember to actively look out for it this weekend.

My biggest criticism until recently was that he was totally anonymous in many games he played (and unavailable for many), however in recent games he has been far more visible. But critically he wastes good opportunities too much for my liking (see the chance he missed where he had to score from List's cutback, and the chance where he had the ball in a 3-on-2 or 3-on-3 on Satdi and picked the wrong option/a poor ball). BUT on the flip side of that he often gets himself into the position to have those opportunities, something a lot of the rest of the side do not, so he deserves credit for that. And his assist for List on Satdi was lovely. It looks like he has good positional awareness offensively, but often struggles to pick the right option when then in possession to me, which is something he can hopefully improve as there is definite potential in him.

By Ratman465/10 22:22Tue Oct 5 22:22:20 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 232

Another assist tonight as well.

By Sev5/10 23:10Tue Oct 5 23:10:17 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

My take on this, I didn't notice him in most of the games so far this season. Perhaps because playing in an unfamiliar position. Saturday I noticed him and he was involved a lot. Great assist and terrible miss!

I said when we got thrashed by FGR too many players were missing and hiding.

Whilst I can't necessarily comment on whether Osborne was performing all his duties well, I much prefer a player involved in the game than one you don't notice. As such I thought he had a good game on Saturday and I came away thinking it's good to see Osborne put in a good performance and hope he continues to do so.

(I remember one game after half time I saw Bruno on the pitch and asked "who went off?" met with puzzling looks of my friends. "Who did Bruno come on for?" I said. "He was playing in the first half" they replied. Whoops)

3 people like this 3 people

By AgentEves6/10 00:23Wed Oct 6 00:23:55 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

"I much prefer a player involved in the game than one you don't notice."

I think this is fair, but I think there are a few roles that don't get noticed as easily. The Makelele role, for example, has often been described as a role that you don't notice until its not there.

I think Osborne may fall into the Stacy Long category. I personally loved Stacy Long, but I know many others did not. At the end of the day, Stacy Long was a valuable part of a good team, and I think Osborne can be exactly that. I'm happy for him to be mostly quiet, with a few moments of quality, as opposed to a flashy type where you notice them the whole game, but less often for the right reasons.

By Nate6/10 09:27Wed Oct 6 09:27:19 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 194

Stacey Long has got it goin' on don't you know.

By SFCfox6/10 06:02Wed Oct 6 06:02:27 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 229

If you don't notice a player then they're doing a good job.

By Sev6/10 10:35Wed Oct 6 10:35:55 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 214

Certainly in the defensive midfield role but not so much true of a winger/attacker

I do notice the good work of a player like Makele anyway, it's just not as valued until it's gone.

By Nate6/10 09:28Wed Oct 6 09:28:35 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 227

In one or two positions that is undeniably true, but for Wingers, Attacking Midfielders, Forwards and probably Goalkeepers that's just not the case.

By AgentEves6/10 07:26Wed Oct 6 07:26:38 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 229

I'm inclined to agree. While it means they're not doing anything excellent, it means they're not doing anything shit, either. Every team needs some of those steadie-eddies.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)6/10 12:09Wed Oct 6 12:09:00 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 202

David Gray was a prime example of being noticed for the wrong reasons. You noticed him because of all those last ditch lunging tackles.

Ronnie Henry went less noticed AA lot of the time, not so many last ditch tackles because he was already in the right fucking place doing his defensive job so he didn't need to dash about chasing players in space they shouldn't have.

I know who was the better player.

3 people like this 3 people

By AgentEves6/10 19:03Wed Oct 6 19:03:22 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 162

Same with James Dunne.

And I fully agree.

By Owen B6/10 07:02Wed Oct 6 07:02:28 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 209

I think that's referees.

By Themessiah2/10 17:28Sat Oct 2 17:28:07 2021In response to Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 826

Was quality today more of the same please

Lino East terrace side.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)2/10 16:23Sat Oct 2 16:23:00 2021In response to Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 933

Absolute clown.

By Owen B2/10 15:00Sat Oct 2 15:00:51 2021In response to Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 1000

Does anyone know who is commentating with Deano today? And does he know he may need to restrain him from assaulting Mr Kettle?

By Specky (Mike H)2/10 15:36Sat Oct 2 15:36:00 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 965

Not sure but it’s a great commentary.

By Specky (Mike H)2/10 15:57Sat Oct 2 15:57:32 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 932

Commentator is Sam Avery. Don’t know who the other geezer is though :))

Edited by Mike H at 15:57:48 on 2nd October 2021

By Bankerbob2/10 18:52Sat Oct 2 18:52:58 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 668

It was Deano. Sam had several sheets of prep work he'd done in a book, and it sounded as though his commentary was full-on. (I was sat next to, but one row behind, him)

By Owen B2/10 15:49Sat Oct 2 15:49:49 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 950

yes, I agree, he's good.

1-0

By Owen B2/10 15:22Sat Oct 2 15:22:08 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 957

Jamie Reid. Yay!

Re: 1-0

By Ratman462/10 15:24Sat Oct 2 15:24:24 2021In response to 1-0Top of thread

Views: 955

From clubs Twitter was meant to be a very good goal.

2-0

By Owen B2/10 16:05Sat Oct 2 16:05:03 2021In response to Re: 1-0Top of thread

Views: 930

List. Might win a game...

Re: 2-0

By Ratman462/10 16:34Sat Oct 2 16:34:49 2021In response to 2-0Top of thread

Views: 886

Jeff Stelling on Sky Sports says Hartlepool have never won a game at the Lamex, thankfully that record looks like continuing.

By Owen B2/10 16:35Sat Oct 2 16:35:55 2021In response to Re: 2-0Top of thread

Views: 912

I think they said on the radio that we had won 8 out of 12 meetings. But it's highly likely I misheard the exact stat (whether it's all or just home).

By Pete (PeteH)3/10 01:59Sun Oct 3 01:59:37 2021In response to Re: 2-0Top of thread

Views: 559

It was eight out of 11. It's now nine out of 12.

By SFCfox2/10 17:49Sat Oct 2 17:49:04 2021In response to Re: 2-0Top of thread

Views: 771

I thought Hartlepool were poor.

We ran our socks off, played the conditions well and got our just desserts.

All in all a good afternoon!

By Ratman462/10 18:44Sat Oct 2 18:44:51 2021In response to Re: 2-0Top of thread

Views: 676

Good to hear, we normally struggle when the opposition is poor.

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)2/10 14:16Sat Oct 2 14:16:34 2021In response to Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 1097

Good to see Sacha back, thought he was supposed to be out for ages?

By Deano (deanos13)4/10 03:04Mon Oct 4 03:04:22 2021In response to Re: Match thread - Hartlepool (h)Top of thread

Views: 507

Wasn't as bad as they thought at Sutton that day. He's just got a cold.

Previous thread: Oxford commentary by samborough5/10 20:29Tue Oct 5 20:29:05 2021view thread