Borochat

Proud sponsors of The Next Boro Manager & Shianne Swarres

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: GAME OFF by jayessToday 09:19Today at 09:19:51view thread

Oldest article: Anang by Fatman---117/8 21:14Tue Aug 17 21:14:21 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Oldham prediction by Bragbury10616/10 08:25Sat Oct 16 08:25:20 2021view thread

GW Email

By Telboy14/10 09:41Thu Oct 14 09:41:35 2021

Views: 1086

A word from Graham Westley Xmas 2011...

Our draw at Preston last weekend brought to an end our 2nd batch of 10 League One games. We won 13 points in our first 10 games and 16 points in our second 10 games. An improvement of >20%.

Looked at differently, we won 6 points in our first 5 games, 7 points in our next 5, 7 points again in our 3rd 5 and 9 points in games 16-20. All the evidence is that we are improving.

I can still see many ways in which our squad can continue to get better. At an individual, unit and collective level, I think that the players are on the same page as me on that too. Just take set pieces as one single example of the opportunities in front of us. We won 11 corners at Preston but failed to execute them as planned from either a delivery point of view or a movement perspective. The reason for that is that our focus has been on raising our athleticism levels, building on our defensive organisation and enhancing our patterns of play; the playing patterns that forced Preston to concede the corners.

Rome wasn't built in a day, so we will now start turning more efforts to new areas of focus, whilst making sure that we continue to build on our evolving strengths at the new level.

We have 3 tough games to finish the year; Tranmere, Colchester and Wycombe will take some beating. We will have to be ready to produce tremendous performances and that will be our plan.

Personally, I was fortunate enough to be crowned Coach of the Year by BBC East last week. That is a big credit for the Management team and players at Stevenage FC. John Dreyer, Dino, Ali, Neil and Paul are wonderful guys to work with and our squad of players, led by Robbo are simply inspirational men to help. I was given that award because the team beat Newcastle and because the team beat Torquay. I was given that award because the team works so hard, day in, day out across the year. So, well done to all of them for their work so far in 2011. It isn't just on the pitch either; I am particularly appreciative of what they have done to build our Aspire programme throughout the schools in the region. I know that the lads have made a real difference to the kids of our area which is a really important aspect of a role model's place in Society. These boys are genuinely good people.

If we can reach 38 points at the halfway stage, which we can, then we will be in a strong position to attack the second half of the season, a time when we notoriously come strong. It will not be easy; just as we will know more about opponents, so they will know more about us. But I honestly think that will work in our favour. I think teams realise now that we aren't here to play bridesmaid to anybody.

On the terraces, our crowds continue to grow. My most recent info was that crowds in 2009/10 averaged 2547 in the BSP League. In 2010/11 that was up to 2789 in League 2 and this year, the average is 3685. That is an increase of just under 47% in 18 months. Quite incredible.

Obviously, it is much better fun when we are banging in goals and knocking out wins. And we are always at our best in both of those regards when the temperature is high in our ground. I can still hear the noise from when Lairdy rammed home that penalty against Oxford. I will never forget the passion that lifted the lads to beat Newcastle. I can still feel the tingle of that night against Accrington and the sense of belief that grew as the goals were scored; the roof nearly lifted as Joel bravely nipped in to score. And who will ever forget the feeling as Darius scored number 5 against Sheffield Wednesday?!

I know that you all realise the difference that you can make. Just remember, the points are all as valuable as each other and we need to realise that as a club. When clubs come to our Stadium, I want them to know just how much every game means to every one of us. Let's make sure that our consistency in winning at home continues to be a major asset.

Which leads me to thank you all sincerely for all of the wonderful support that you have given to myself and the lads in 2011. I hope that you have enjoyed what we have all worked hard to give you back. Let's finish the year strongly and let's just get better in 2012.

With best wishes to you and your families for a very happy xmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.

GW

Great memories :-)

reply to this article | return to the front page

8 people like this 8 people

Re: GW Email

By Stevo16/10 17:23Sat Oct 16 17:23:02 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 196

LEGEND.

I would have him back in a heartbeat.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Tucks16/10 17:13Sat Oct 16 17:13:13 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 206

Can you reply and ask if Graham’s busy at the moment?

2 people like this 2 people

By Telboy16/10 17:22Sat Oct 16 17:22:27 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 182

Just a blip...no need for Graham we have the perfect management team in place............

By Telboy15/10 20:00Fri Oct 15 20:00:32 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 352

The GW email is just an interesting read for us to remember some of the highest points in Boro’s achievements.

Coincidentally, it was sent nearly 10 years ago but seems only like yesterday!

If we haven't got our history to reflect upon when times aren't so good then we haven't got anything to soften the pain.

1 person likes this 1 person

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)15/10 17:00Fri Oct 15 17:00:17 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 386

Glory days

By Owen B15/10 12:08Fri Oct 15 12:08:31 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 487

What a guy.

By AgentEves14/10 20:26Thu Oct 14 20:26:18 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 647

A manager who can highlight potential areas for improvement, while also highlighting why those areas haven't been a focus previously, while also showing ambition and confidence that the team will continue to improve.

By Freemo14/10 21:26Thu Oct 14 21:26:25 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 631

He can also make cringey David Brent videos where he sets out his stall in depth and then send out an XI that play like absolute clueless c*nts.

By AgentEves15/10 17:59Fri Oct 15 17:59:31 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 385

The amount of disrespect that GW gets on here - despite getting this team to the highest point we have ever been, and likely ever will be - is pathetic.

16 people like this 16 people

By Tucks15/10 20:04Fri Oct 15 20:04:25 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 343

GW2 is the best managerial tenure the club has ever seen. Fact.

3 people like this 3 people

By Freemo15/10 18:53Fri Oct 15 18:53:52 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 353

Elvis was before my time, but I understand that he could be both an all-time great and an obese, shambling mess in his later years.

There's one person responsible for me no longer being all dewy-eyed for GW.

By Owen B15/10 19:16Fri Oct 15 19:16:46 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 343

Colonel Tom Parker?

By SFCfox15/10 19:01Fri Oct 15 19:01:34 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 349

I'll always hold GW in high regard and the memories he's given us, but having him back for the fourth time was just utter stupidity. He's barely been in the game since he was shafted out the door for Teddy Shez!

By Specky (Mike H)14/10 15:19Thu Oct 14 15:19:09 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 767

He loved his stats and percentages did our Graham :))

By Boro Bound14/10 10:12Thu Oct 14 10:12:44 2021In response to GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 915

Jesus,I knew my internet was slow but really.

2 people like this 2 people

By Boro Bound14/10 10:19Thu Oct 14 10:19:46 2021In response to Re: GW EmailTop of thread

Views: 892

Being serious they were great times,Accrington away was a great night and I remember the following night trying to keep my eyes open and failing at times at the Groves v Degale fight at the 02,top weekend.

Edited by Boro Bound at 10:20:27 on 14th October 2021

Previous thread: John wants to know who is going to Oldham by RedandWhite15/10 21:36Fri Oct 15 21:36:45 2021view thread