Borochat

Proud sponsors of Paul Tisdale & Shianne Swarres

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Out on Pens 4-3 by ChudsYesterday 23:09Yesterday at 23:09:07view thread

Oldest article: Very impressed by Eazy17/8 21:45Tue Aug 17 21:45:24 2021view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Papa John's by Freemo26/10 21:47Tue Oct 26 21:47:15 2021view thread

Shall we just start all over again

By Richie Rich C19/10 23:10Tue Oct 19 23:10:10 2021

Views: 1134

First my apologies to our founding fathers for what I am about to write …..

But we have reached ground zero , I’m not sure any of us really care anymore and even understand what the point of us is ? Maybe that’s why we just float from game to game thinking meh so what ?

A few short years ago we had a goal , an identity and something to get behind , to get to the football league , but then what ? To be honest getting to the championship as was muted was never a big a deal in terms of a dream as getting to the football league had always been .

So…

Let’s just say we did it , we’ll done everyone dream completed and now it’s time for dream mark 2 ..

Fold the club , start again , and work our way back up the leagues seeing if we can do even better than our forefathers and going through non league . For those that think this is stupid , you probably didn’t live what it was like … it was fun , it was engaging and we had a purpose .., oh how I miss those days .

Let’s see can we restart and get to the national league before I pop my clogs

#stevenageforleaguefootball let’s start again

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people

Re: Shall we just start all over again

By SFCfox22/10 08:18Fri Oct 22 08:18:35 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 359

Let's be honest, the biggest issue is we don't win as many games any more.

Winning games brings excitement and keeps the fans happy/interested.

By Owen B22/10 08:25Fri Oct 22 08:25:02 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 315

Agreed. Winning and a feeling of any ambition.

1 person likes this 1 person

By Ratman4622/10 09:04Fri Oct 22 09:04:24 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 295

We have ambition for about 4 matches at the start of every season, then reality hits

By Telboy22/10 09:27Fri Oct 22 09:27:50 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 291

Ambition has all but gone, having been diluted over the last 10 years.

Generate just enough money to keep everything ticking over, paying staff and overheads....plod on with no real view of progress.

By SFCfox22/10 09:43Fri Oct 22 09:43:32 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 340

Perhaps we need more investment then? PW and co will only dip into their pockets so much.

As much as none of us like the new badge, having Burger King as our sponsor and the fact we have to pay extra to use the new bar, i feel the club don't really have a choice if we're to stay in the football league.

By Owen B22/10 10:58Fri Oct 22 10:58:52 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 294

I don't particularly care about Burger King or Amazon sponsoring us, all good. And I think the new bar is fine (some disagree here), seeing as Stripes is still a thing.

Not sure where that shitty badge design fits in though - it's awful. Did it need changing? If it did, could it not be, you know, not shit?

By Telboy22/10 10:02Fri Oct 22 10:02:41 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 295

It is down to money but the amount spent is down to how far PW wants to take our club (ambition).

No doubt, with a small club like ours, we are currently aiming at balancing the books to keep our club healthy....to live as best we can within our means.

If this continues to be the case then we will be bobbling along like we are for the majority of the time. The only chink of light might be if we are fortunate to get a superstar player like Chair to lift our fortunes on the odd occasion.

We are where we are....?

By Ratman4622/10 09:57Fri Oct 22 09:57:53 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 310

You're right, our ambition is just to stay in the Football League.

I for one enjoy the 76 Lounge, next one I've got together a group of 5, family and a mate who's a Cambridge fan for the Mansfield game, doing my bit :-)

By RockyBottom21/10 08:11Thu Oct 21 08:11:24 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 404

Since I moved up to Cheshire I've been watching Witton Albion in the Northern Premier. The football is more enjoyable, the match experience is more interesting and it has made me realise that Stevenage going into the Football League (coupled with the awful rebrands and doing everything on the cheap) probably killed a lot of the enjoyment for me. I'll still passionately support them but it isn't the same. Be careful what you wish for!

Edited by RockyBottom at 08:12:38 on 21st October 2021

3 people like this 3 people

By Freemo20/10 12:45Wed Oct 20 12:45:57 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 907

This is a bit "bring back the Blitz spirit!". People in the Blitz didn't want to be in the fucking Blitz.

6 people like this 6 people

By Richie Rich C20/10 19:00Wed Oct 20 19:00:17 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 449

It isn’t , and interesting people missing my point , I’m not really talking about what league we are in or who we are playing , I’m actually talking about a lack of club identity and purpose when once we had one … I have no doubt if we asked the generic question 15 years ago what’s our goal and purpose prettty much everyone from chairman to supporter would say the same thing . What we wouldn’t get now is everyone answering the same and many not even really sure it is .

Edited by Richie Rich C at 19:01:02 on 20th October 2021

By Freemo21/10 09:10Thu Oct 21 09:10:39 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 379

The point now is to try and win matches. If it feels disconnected it's because that doesn't happen often.

By S4 Boro20/10 11:43Wed Oct 20 11:43:29 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 615

Why start all over again for, when the problem is easy to sort which is, Wallace sack Revell, stop going for the cheap option and hire an experienced manager who can deliver positive results on the table and then this shit for the past 6 years can just be put behind with Boro still being a league club.

By Enuff is Enuff (Junction 7)20/10 10:58Wed Oct 20 10:58:55 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 697

It all started with the re branding and the new exclusive pay to use sports bar under new stand Wallace thinks the club is bigger and better than it is when I reality it’s shit

Lost our history lost our drive and lost most of the fans that followed the club from the early days

You reap what you sow and continually f***g fans over and serving shit football with a cheap option manager everything as finally taken it’s toll

By Telboy20/10 11:37Wed Oct 20 11:37:15 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 639

It doesn't have to be like this, lets try and hold on to what we have. A rise through the leagues, by starting afresh will ultimately bring us to this point again - lets not throw it away.

The excitement and passion everyone showed at our club (inc PW) in our rise to the FL was amazing. Lets save that and leave it in our memory, never to be deleted.

I'm sure the successful business side of the club is in good hands keeping us fluid so we just need a competent person to take 100% care of football matters. Give the manager full control without any interfering know it alls, AKA advisors!

Perhaps for the die hards bring back the comfort factor of reverting to Stevenage Borough and going back to our shield and get rid of that reindeer badge....before Christmas!

Edited by Telboy at 11:40:43 on 20th October 2021

By RobW SFC20/10 08:53Wed Oct 20 08:53:33 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 739

Finally, I’ve been saying this for years. Start in the SSML1 with trips to Letchworth & Stotfold.

By Hitchin Callling20/10 08:56Wed Oct 20 08:56:09 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 700

Take it you are joking.If not shame teams such sas British Timken Duston & Ford Sports no longer around as we could play them as well.

By RobW SFC20/10 18:23Wed Oct 20 18:23:31 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 452

They sound like dream away days. Genuinely.

By Newbie_Boro (Yorkshire_Boro)20/10 08:49Wed Oct 20 08:49:02 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 690

I'm pretty sure Bury and Macclesfield fans would rather be in our position.

Stevenage FC don't have to fold for a Stevenage Borough to be formed though...

Edited by Yorkshire_Boro at 08:49:38 on 20th October 2021

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)19/10 23:42Tue Oct 19 23:42:37 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 903

I don’t think there is a single club (still solvent) in the FL that has been worse to support than us over the past 5 years

By Dave (daveadkins)25/10 22:42Mon Oct 25 22:42:20 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 250

One of only 3 teams I'm lead to believe.

By Jas7919/10 23:22Tue Oct 19 23:22:07 2021In response to Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 909

Sorry but that is deluded crap. I didnt enjoy losing to Canvey Island etc any more than I did losing tonight or Saturday (or more than likely this Saturday coming).

Supporting a football club is hard work, enjoy the good times when you get them but they'll never last. Some supporters dont even get that. It is mostly fucking shit and when you dont think it'll get worse it probably will.

10 people like this 10 people

By GarstonBoro20/10 13:12Wed Oct 20 13:12:28 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 533

I support Stevenage because I was born and grew up here, my dad took me to watch cold wet nights in conference mud. Fans need to get behind the team and help us survive another year.

By S4 Boro20/10 13:49Wed Oct 20 13:49:56 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 519

Fans still are supporting the club, they travel to home and away games including very long journeys to away games, but that isn’t going to change the fact that the current management team are clueless and not the right management team to take the club forward and achieve any kind of success.

By GarstonBoro20/10 13:59Wed Oct 20 13:59:06 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 510

Hi S4, I appreciate what you say about devoted fans I am just saying that changing the management will not get better results. The players are the only guys who can win games and I think they can do it.

By S4 Boro20/10 14:44Wed Oct 20 14:44:35 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 519

Hi GarstonBoro.

I don’t understand why you feel that a change of manager wouldn’t bring us better results and start climbing up the table, especially if the manager has a clue and plenty of managerial experience to his name and also has a plan B.

I’m quite baffled by your reply because say next week Wallace sacked Revell and a decent manager like Luke Garrard was appointed, would you be disappointed by the fact that a inexperienced manager who only delivers boring football where the team has only won 3 games all season and the fans have lost faith and hope in him has been replaced by a manager who has plenty of managerial experience to his name, has over achieved at his current club such as guiding them to the play off final in 2018 against Tranmere and then in this current season are sitting in 2nd place and has his team playing attacking attractive football ??

Edited by S4 Boro at 14:50:42 on 20th October 2021

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)20/10 14:21Wed Oct 20 14:21:16 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 527

So you think the players are largely good enough.

So do I.

So why are they underperforming?

Why does almost every club that is massively underperforming sack the manager? Are they all wrong?

By jayess21/10 08:06Thu Oct 21 08:06:47 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 371

Clearly it isn't always the answer, but it works far more often than sticking with a busted flush.
Revs, or whomever, has recruited well, so if results are this crap he has to carry the can for how we are performing.
What has happened to what was the second best defence in League Two?
As AE pointed out, they probably don't have much faith in the keeper (and neither do I). A young inexperienced keeper is a high risk strategy. It worked last season but the previous experiment arguably cost Sarll his job.
I objected on here to Rev's appointment in the first place because I felt a young inexperienced manager was an even bigger gamble.
Mike Flynn would seem a very decent replacement. However he has five children and it might be difficult to prise him out of South Wales.

By Telboy20/10 14:39Wed Oct 20 14:39:07 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 458

You are not wrong, these players are good enough.

It is a case of too many cooks spoil the broth.

Wilkins, Sampson, Wallace...and Keef haha.

There would be a mix of ideas being thrown at the players from all angles by this lot (not Keef).

What would a player do?...each would pick up different vibes/ideas, then it would be a mess on the pitch.

One person in charge...A MANAGER....one not two ONE!!

By GarstonBoro20/10 14:38Wed Oct 20 14:38:01 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 500

Hi Balders,
Chairmen and fans are massively impatient , they seldom think beyond the last game they watched. I play over 60, s football and some weeks I am rubbish and some weeks just crap, the Stevenage lads are no different, they need encouragement they need good tactics but most of all they need self belief. Sacking the manager will not change this. Alex has more football knowledge than all the punters on here put together. That doesn’t mean he’s right all the time or that another person couldn’t do better but it does mean we need to get behind the team and get through this dry patch.

By Owen B20/10 13:17Wed Oct 20 13:17:01 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 549

Just because we think the manager is rubbish doesn't stop us being supporters of the club.

By GarstonBoro20/10 13:29Wed Oct 20 13:29:45 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 501

Hi Owen, I absolutely agree with you, every fan has that right. I don’t feel I have enough knowledge of what’s going on, injuries, players problems, form, fitness, etc to judge Alex. What I do know is that on the day the team at the bottom of lge 2 can beat the team at the top of lge 2 and that suggests it s about confidence.
We have to be realistic about who might succeed Alex if he is cast out. Will they be better?

By Owen B20/10 13:33Wed Oct 20 13:33:15 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 499

Well, something has to change. If you actively engage with fans with talk of promotion pre-season and you're sat 20th after a quarter of the games gone, then the pressure is on somewhat.

Yes, I'd say that there's a fair chance that a manager with experience could do a better job.

By GarstonBoro20/10 13:41Wed Oct 20 13:41:11 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 498

Big Phill’s rhetoric has always been good, he genuinely wants to lift the club but promotion? Come on.
I think the lads will lift their game on Saturday and as far as I can see the East stand is still behind Alex.

By Owen B20/10 16:30Wed Oct 20 16:30:13 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 451

It wasn't us, the fans, talking about promotion preseason - it was Revell and Wilkins. So, you don't get to criticise the general fanbase for upping our expectations somewhat. Address it to the management team. What is the saying about their mouths writing cheques that their arses can't cash?

Are the lads still bang behind Revell? I doubt it somehow, looking on Twitter and in here.

Edited by Owen B at 16:31:03 on 20th October 2021

By Freemo20/10 16:34Wed Oct 20 16:34:55 2021In response to Re: Shall we just start all over again Top of thread

Views: 451

The East is behind him when he faces west.

Previous thread: Near Punch Up by Hitchin Callling24/10 11:41Sun Oct 24 11:41:21 2021view thread