BOROCHAT

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Season Ticket Prices by HitchinBoro exCalling Today 17:20Today at 17:20:06view thread

Oldest article: Probably nothing but was wondering by StirlingBoro9113/2 17:08Tue Feb 13 17:08:33 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: This squad finished 18th in league one, by Copeysaurus14/5 22:28Tue May 14 22:28:56 2024view thread

Who was you expecting as Manager

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 07:51Mon May 13 07:51:59 2024

Views: 1212

So, there seems to be a lot of pissed off people over the appointment, people saying they are done with the club etc etc, out of interest, exactly who were you expecting to become manager, what would attract a proven manager to come to Stevenage, remember were a still little old Stevenage, a small budget by comparison to most clubs in league 1, so why would you expect someone with a proven track record to come to Stevenage?

The timing was right for Evans to come to a club like ours, it was a win win for him, nothing to lose and the chance to enhance his reputation again with a small club budget

One of the most sensible comments I've seen was from Chuds saying our club would been seen as a step down by a lot of managers/coaches

Whilst I am not excited about the appointment, I wasn't surprised as I have been around long enough to know how the chairman operates, I don't attend anywhere near as often as I use too, but still attend regularly, I support the club not the manager and will give 100% backing when I do attend and will back the management team 100% until proven otherwise.

Next season was likely to be a season of compromise and trying to stay in league 1 even if Evans had stayed and who's to say maybe a downturn in form was due to his head being turned before officially being approached

reply to this article | return to the front page

5 people like this 5 people

Re: Who was you expecting as Manager

By Phoenix14/5 16:36Tue May 14 16:36:40 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 456

Jurgen Klopp.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)14/5 16:50Tue May 14 16:50:47 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 436

Actually that's the point.It has been discussed to death but even after the Evans effect we are seen asa small club EG Duff was
a non starter .Even forgetting about his salary our budget would put his sort off .

By ForestBoro3514/5 13:38Tue May 14 13:38:45 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 498

Reappointing Alex Revell as manager feels akin to repeating past mistakes with managers like Peter Taylor, Paul Tisdale, and Wayne Turner. In my view, it's a regressive decision and a significant step backwards.

Wallace is taking a significant gamble here.

2 people like this 2 people

By Paulio14/5 14:14Tue May 14 14:14:28 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 463

In what way would you compare Revs to Taylor or Tisdale?

1 person likes this 1 person

By ForestBoro3514/5 17:52Tue May 14 17:52:25 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 417

All 3 we're crap managers at the club.

Why don't you go to games anymore ? Just curious as to know why, as other then the 2022/23 season and first half of the 2023/24 season you haven't missed a lot.

Edited by ForestBoro35 at 17:54:26 on 14th May 2024
Edited by ForestBoro35 at 17:57:50 on 14th May 2024

By Paulio14/5 19:15Tue May 14 19:15:44 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 401

Didn’t like Taylor’s football but he was an excellent manager before us, and iirc has one of the highest win % any Stevenage manager has?

I got bored of football when we got into league one first time round. Now I have picked up an interest again I run a music venue so rarely get Saturdays free to go to games.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)14/5 22:09Tue May 14 22:09:36 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 319

What music venue?

By Paulio14/5 23:08Tue May 14 23:08:11 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 306

Corn Exchange in Hertford.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)15/5 07:33Wed May 15 07:33:53 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 267

Nice venue. Haven't been for a while. I'll keep an eye out for anything upcoming i fancy.

By Tucks14/5 14:15Tue May 14 14:15:24 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 427

They’re all men.

By Sev14/5 14:16Tue May 14 14:16:21 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 432

Innocent men

By Tucks14/5 14:17Tue May 14 14:17:30 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 429

The fashion police may take umbrage with that.

By AgentEves14/5 11:13Tue May 14 11:13:32 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 521

"so why would you expect someone with a proven track record to come to Stevenage?"

Same reason Evans did.

You can't ask that question then try to make out that Evans was some sort of weird anomaly.

I'd have taken any other manager than one who has already proven he doesn't know what he's doing.

If I'm wrong, great. But I'm not going to be.

By Mutley (Mutley34)14/5 11:55Tue May 14 11:55:32 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 505

You can't ask that question then try to make out that Evans was some sort of weird anomaly

i didn't say that at all, I said he had nothing to lose by coming to Stevenage, where as younger managers with a proven record, who feel they deserve something "bigger" may see it as a hiding to nothing and wouldn't take the chance of possibly failing at a smaller club

By Northlondonboro (Northlondonboro)17/5 20:49Fri May 17 20:49:20 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 293

That’s cleared it up

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))14/5 11:23Tue May 14 11:23:04 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 504

"so why would you expect someone with a proven track record to come to Stevenage?"

Same reason Evans did.

I thought exactly the same thing. As the original post makes no sense whatsoever there isn't really any point responding. In fact I think typing needs to be banned on this forum, and we should just have a thumbs up or down emoji. No more words.

By Paulio14/5 11:29Tue May 14 11:29:34 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 469

I like this idea.

By Pete (PeteH)14/5 11:14Tue May 14 11:14:47 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 474

In terms of a proven track record, you can also suggest that applies to Paul Tisdale.

By AgentEves14/5 11:20Tue May 14 11:20:03 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 512

Tisdale wasn't a bad appointment. It just didn't work out. I'd put him in a similar bucket to Gary Smith.

3 people like this 3 people

By Deano (deanos13)14/5 13:27Tue May 14 13:27:38 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 455

Slop bucket.

By RedandWhite13/5 21:55Mon May 13 21:55:38 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 605

David Moyes

Got the the experience doesn’t need the money and we will show him a good time in Benidorm.

Even BoroBear said he would buy him a drink

Up the Boro

By Rotterdamboro13/5 12:56Mon May 13 12:56:10 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 865

Three better options than Revell:
1/ Ginger cat Nala who greets commuters at Stevenage rail station
2/ As mentioned in another thread - next door’s dog
3/ Rod Hull and Emu

By Deltic 21 (Spirit of East Coast Boro)14/5 23:11Tue May 14 23:11:26 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 292

God, what I wouldn't give for Rod Hull and Emu! He’d have them pinned up against the wall by the neck the first time anything went wrong! 😁

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)13/5 15:03Mon May 13 15:03:34 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 732

If you are so p****d off with the decision assume you will boycott games unti he goes .

By Tedster13/5 11:53Mon May 13 11:53:05 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 857

It was a win win for Evans to come here, but it was also proof that the club can attract proven managers, so after an excellent last season and couple of years in which our reputation and brand has improved drastically the job should be seen as a safe and exciting opportunity for any proven manager to consolidate our position in league 1 for the next few years and beyond … clearly the club have not pursued this option strongly enough and taken the very risky and extremely underwhelming choice of re-appointing a manager who nearly relegated us to non-league in the hope that he has learnt from Evans and is now a better manager than before. I sincerely hope they’re correct and this works out positively for Revs..

4 people like this 4 people

By AgentEves14/5 11:15Tue May 14 11:15:51 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 497

I'm almost certain that Revs talked a good game, and knew all the right things to say about momentum and knowing the lads. I'm certain that he would have interviewed well.

To me, it's another example of Phil's lack of football knowledge getting in the way. That said, his lack of football knowledge has also meant he's been relatively hands off, so swings and roundabouts.

By Deano (deanos13)14/5 13:32Tue May 14 13:32:25 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 440

I know what everyone is saying here. However looking at the list I knew who would or wouldn't come. Ainsworth has hinted he doesn't want a job right now. So we accept that. I wouldn't have been upset if it was him. Would I have wanted Bonner, no. Doesn't fit in with Phil and Leon for me.
Evans was a one off. Irreplaceable really. I'm pretty sure he'll be back one day.
Revs knows these 17 lads and he'll add 5 good players I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong when GW returned the 2nd time I was throwing away the ST renewal. What did I know.......
People change and evolve. I'm ready to believe Revs has and he told me some reasons he felt he is ready too and what he was too lax on the first time around.
But we will see.

By Sev14/5 13:54Tue May 14 13:54:17 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 415

Evans will be back January 2026.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 11:56Mon May 13 11:56:27 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 827

Still no names you'd fancy then?

By Tedster13/5 11:58Mon May 13 11:58:31 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 805

Personally I would have pursued Ainsworth until we got him…

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 12:08Mon May 13 12:08:19 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 784

Fair enough, quite like him myself, but I think he'd want a bigger/better option, he failed at QPR could have possibly built his stock again with us, but if he failed here possibly no coming back from that, who knows.

Tisdale was a good option and relatively proven at the time I thought but that didn't pan out too well

By Tedster13/5 12:28Mon May 13 12:28:32 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 797

Agreed on your points, however he is currently out of work and if the club really wanted him and sold him the vision and direction they want the club to go in and then made him a offer appropriate to that vision and his requirements I have no doubt he would have come here. As it would be a good opportunity for him to rebuild his career after QPR.
The first barometer for me on Revs 2.0 will be how many, and who, of the retained players will still be here at the start of next season, how many will jump ship early with transfer requests etc.. also what calibre of player will he attract? If the close season works well for him then it might just work out and prove the doubters wrong..

By Deano (deanos13)13/5 16:33Mon May 13 16:33:42 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 692

Few things with Ainsworth.
He's still getting paid a Champ wage.
He enjoys his music and I think he's living a very nice life presently and isn't looking for a job.
However if one came along he'd want a Derby/Bolton sized budget. Which we ain't giving him. He was never on the list for me. I know other clubs have had conversations with him. Very short ones.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))13/5 13:18Mon May 13 13:18:34 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 772

Ainsworth is taking over in October

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 12:37Mon May 13 12:37:35 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 789

yep, some great points

Here's hoping it works out

By Specky (Mike H)13/5 12:57Mon May 13 12:57:48 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 779

I wouldn’t have wanted Ainsworth because his focus since leaving QPR has been on his music career.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-67541872

By Paulio13/5 13:11Mon May 13 13:11:26 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 762

Imagine working in the music industry.
Idiot.

By Sev13/5 12:19Mon May 13 12:19:39 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 794

I think our poor form and second half of the season may have put potentials off. If we had finished on a high and good run of form in the playoffs people would have seen our potential.

Now they're probably looking at us thinking we are on a downward path and would be a tough job.

Revell on the other hand has nothing to lose particularly and know the squad already so for him would be a challenge he relishes.

And as for those already at League 2 clubs they'll be wanting to finish the job they're doing win promotion to league one themselves rather than a potential struggle at a new club above.

So all in all there is logic to the Revell appointment whether it is liked or not.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 12:40Mon May 13 12:40:19 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 771

Totally

But I honestly think next season would have been a different kettle of fish, even if Evans had stayed, but at least we should have a full management team on the bench all season and few of those 50/50's may go our way :0)

By bcb199413/5 11:42Mon May 13 11:42:10 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 828

Not someone who managed us a mere 3 years ago with a 26% win ratio that’s for sure.

8 people like this 8 people

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 11:56Mon May 13 11:56:55 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 812

any suggestions?

By Mocheeba13/5 21:18Mon May 13 21:18:47 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 586

It's not really a valid point to ask people who we rather the club appointed because we have no visibility of wages, availability, interest etc...

That doesn't mean that we can't criticise the club's decision however. If I was going by a paper-exercise only, I'd rather us taken a random punt on some other unproven manager than reappoint Rev's. His track record speaks for itself...He might be a nice bloke that knows the squad, but you can't just "work hard on the training ground" - which is a phrase horrifically reminiscent of his previous stint - and expect to get results in football.

My biggest concern with the management team we have is the number of year's experience amongst the 3 of them. Evans has more year's experience managing first team football than our entire management team combined. Neil obviously has experience, but only a couple year's experience as an assistant manager. None of them have credible 'successful' experiences as THE decision maker at a club.

I'm not going to mindlessly hate on the club for their decision because no doubt there WAS a reason and I can't believe it's because Rev's is the next Pep after spend 2 years under Evans.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))14/5 11:20Tue May 14 11:20:48 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 468

Good points. Answers well the sort of reverse-withering tone of the original post. It's pretty joyless to say 'little old Stevenage' can't do any better. We may not be attracting brilliant candidates, but we certainly can do better. I will be very happy if he proves me wrong, good lad and all that. But he won't. Cuthbert's appointment fills me with dread. He is a loser unfortunately. These people are kind of the anti-Evans - the reason the last 2 years was so good. The wise shithousery, the brilliant defence, the opportunities taken. THIS LOT IS NICE GUYS yes we get it arrrghhhhhhhghghg!!!!!!

By Deltic 21 (Spirit of East Coast Boro)14/5 23:20Tue May 14 23:20:57 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 292

That’s what I really miss about Evans already. The shithousery, the big character, the ‘them v. us’ mentality. No one likes us and we don’t care. Evans inspired the fight right from the off and all the way through. You *knew* he was leading the club, and using every trick in the book to do so. I don’t feel any of this for the new experiment.

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))15/5 10:44Wed May 15 10:44:52 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 278

The squad last season wasn't as good at managing games - losing Norris and Rose

By Paulio14/5 23:23Tue May 14 23:23:23 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 288

The them v us attitude comes in when we go on a good win streak.

It disappears when we’re shit.

By Chuds14/5 23:35Tue May 14 23:35:37 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 298

The us vs them was also being manufactured by him to deflect from him being cautioned by the officials YET AGAIN.

He missed EIGHT of our matches through suspension last season FFS, and we won none of them in normal time (won one on penalties).

His wily ways may have won us some extra points, but his ill-discipline also cost us plenty of points by him being suspended, as did decisions going against us because of him (whether right or wrong).

Edited by Chuds at 23:37:42 on 14th May 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)15/5 07:50Wed May 15 07:50:41 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 269

Do you think he took his 15 PGMOL apology emails with him or can we auction them off, framed, for charity?

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 07:50:57 on 15th May 2024

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)14/5 15:21Tue May 14 15:21:36 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 404

Why is Cuthbert a loser.Is it the record of the teams he has played for and am using assuming then all players he had ever played with are also losers

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))15/5 10:48Wed May 15 10:48:13 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 293

he was captain of the worst football team to represent Boro in my 35 years watching regularly. He was above average and could be good on his day. As a rookie coach, bringing back his level of failure alarms me. He seems a nice bloke

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)15/5 11:12Wed May 15 11:12:44 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 287

Perhaps but not sure this means there is a sweeping statement he is loser.

By Freemo17/5 19:22Fri May 17 19:22:13 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 218

He was a standout player in an excellent Orient side at one time, but you know, Tom Soares was a flying winger once.

By Pete (PeteH)14/5 15:26Tue May 14 15:26:44 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 400

am using assuming then all players he had ever played with are also losers

He did play for Woking.

By SFCfox13/5 12:50Mon May 13 12:50:59 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 776

Anthony Elding

By Old_man13/5 13:27Mon May 13 13:27:08 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 736

F*ing Wanker

By Paulio13/5 10:53Mon May 13 10:53:38 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 849

Not sure I’ve actually seen anyone say they’re done with the club tbf.

If they have that’s LOLOLs

Anyways, I’d take literally anyone who was available over Revs. But I don’t go to games so it doesn’t really matter 😂

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 10:59Mon May 13 10:59:43 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 840

that's it I'm not buying a season ticket again, i look forward to have free Saturdays again

Fuck this club I'm done with them

waste of time going anymore

are just a few I've seen

Reminds of people calling for people to boycott the club when chipmunk was offered his services :-)

By Paulio13/5 11:10Mon May 13 11:10:29 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 865

What’s Wezzle up to? He’d have been better than Revs 👀

By Deano (deanos13)13/5 16:35Mon May 13 16:35:27 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 674

Been playing golf with Dave Beasant last week....

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)13/5 17:19Mon May 13 17:19:48 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 632

We met some Brits from Canvey this week who are friends with Beasant's ex partner.

By Paulio13/5 16:57Mon May 13 16:57:00 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 626

Dream team. Gives us options for backup keeper too. He must only be about 60 now. Still got a couple years left in him.

By RockyBottom13/5 11:33Mon May 13 11:33:53 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 820

I'd actually take him over Revs, and I hate GW.

By Owen B13/5 11:03Mon May 13 11:03:53 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 832

That was all Agent Eves, wasn't it? 🤣

By Tucks13/5 09:02Mon May 13 09:02:18 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 946

Of all the football clubs in England little old Stevenage are currently 53rd best.

Sure, we have a budget and may be unfashionable but it’s not unreasonable to expect that we’d be an attractive prospect for an experienced and ambitious manager.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:04Mon May 13 09:04:41 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 942

such as?

By Tucks13/5 09:22Mon May 13 09:22:40 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 905

Half the names mentioned since Evans left.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:33Mon May 13 09:33:14 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 905

Ainsworth? Probably see's himself as too big for us

The guy at Crawley, was never going to commit whilst in play offs, probably too late to appoint after the play offs, if they lose, if they win he'd probably stay, are we any bigger than Crawley

Luke Garrad ultimately failed at Boringwood

By Sev13/5 09:31Mon May 13 09:31:32 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 922

From memory, names I've seen people mention were:

McCann
Lindsey
Duff
Ainsworth
Woodman
Cowley
Flynn
Garrard

Whether they were attainable or would be any better I don't know.

There were plenty more in the next manager odds market.

Edited by Sev at 09:32:22 on 13th May 2024
Edited by Sev at 09:33:10 on 13th May 2024

By MerseyBoro (BrummieBoro)13/5 18:08Mon May 13 18:08:22 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 603

From that list, Duff is now at Huddersfield who are obviously going to have a much bigger operating budget than us next season.

By Sev13/5 18:59Mon May 13 18:59:08 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 580

Well we better sign Clarke-Harris who has been released by Peterborough....

By Pete (PeteH)13/5 11:14Mon May 13 11:14:00 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 832

Would you say Peter Taylor was attainable when he came here?

By Telboy13/5 13:34Mon May 13 13:34:58 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 725

Same could be said for Steve Evans...amazed me that PW managed to get him. PW had all the stars aligned first then it happened.
Talking of Peter Taylor since his appointment only three managers have bettered his record...GW, Mark Roberts and Steve Evans. Football under Taylor was awful!
I guess PW must have had his preferred list but as Chuds says, maybe no takers.
We are where we are, managers never last forever so lets see where Revs takes us.
If it doesn't work then PW's hit list might be more fluid eg in the way we recruited Steve Evans.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 11:19Mon May 13 11:19:38 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 809

Yes he was out of work

By Owen B13/5 11:28Mon May 13 11:28:47 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 813

So was Ainsworth, but you immediately poo pooed that one. It's a no-win conversation tbh.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 11:29Mon May 13 11:29:41 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 828

I didn't immediately poo poo anything as its been a few days since the appointment I just suggested he'd be looking for a bigger club, i gave an opinion, which seems isn't allowed with out being shouted down

Edited by Mutley34 at 11:32:48 on 13th May 2024

By AgentEves14/5 11:27Tue May 14 11:27:30 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 445

Whenever anyone says they disagree with you, they're "shouting you down" but when you disagree with them you're "voicing your opinion". Make it make sense.

By Mutley (Mutley34)14/5 12:11Tue May 14 12:11:12 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 431

you have my humble apologies

By Owen B13/5 11:37Mon May 13 11:37:20 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 816

Yet people are not allowed to be miffed about Revs' appointment unless they can reel off a list of potential candidates?

I am miffed, but I hope he does well. Sorry, I don't have a ready list of alternatives for you to approve though.

7 people like this 7 people

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 11:44Mon May 13 11:44:45 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 805

where have I said people cant be miffed, I was just asking what exactly they was expecting terms of attracting a "proven" manager, I don't get why people are so miffed, but i don't have a problem with them being miffed at all, in fact I find it quite amusing

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))14/5 11:30Tue May 14 11:30:04 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 446

You are furious about people being miffed.

By Mutley (Mutley34)14/5 12:09Tue May 14 12:09:18 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 427

No where near furious or miffed at all , I was just merely interested in what peoples expectations were regarding a new manager, I didn't realise asking such a question was going to rattle so many cages.

anyway, you said my original post was pointless and not worth replying too, yet you have contributed numerous funny comments :-)

By AndyC14/5 12:40Tue May 14 12:40:13 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 430

Its not rattling cages - you asked for opinions and are getting them.

Don't be upset that some of the opinions are different to yours

By Mutley (Mutley34)14/5 13:05Tue May 14 13:05:20 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 424

being called pointless, inane and not worth replying too amongst other things made me feel I had rattled and few cages, yet very few opinions on the who'd they'd like as manager

I am far from upset I can assure you quite the opposite actually

By Rob SBFC (Big Robbie (SBFC))14/5 14:52Tue May 14 14:52:49 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 397

You rattled everyone's cages and didn't get rattled one bit. Like everyone else on the internet

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)13/5 17:28Mon May 13 17:28:38 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 628

The tone of your replies comes across very clearly as "you can't moan about Revs unless you have better suggestions"

That may not be how you intended to be received, but that's how I read them.

And we are perfectly entitled, based on what we do know, to simply not rate an appointment without posing a better option.

It's not our job to find or identify a decent manager. It's Phil's. We do not have the contacts or the knowledge. He does.

What we do have is a memory of what the new incumbent achieved last time.

FWIW I remain underwhelmed.

Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 17:29:15 on 13th May 2024
Edited by BALDOCKBORO at 17:52:51 on 13th May 2024

3 people like this 3 people

By Chuds13/5 18:28Mon May 13 18:28:07 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 615

I agree with both sides, but I do think it is pretty fair to ask who the poster believes should have been brought in instead when people slate an appointment.

You don't need to know every applicants, but providing some names gives an idea on the level that person believes should have come in instead, and if ridiculously unrealistic then said person should be SLATED from all sides, with the dislike button turned on just for their posts.

I, for instance, wanted Duff, Lindsey or Clarke, but knew they were highly unrealistic (the fact Duff has gone to Huddersfield shows we had no chance of getting him, whilst Lindsey would be an idiot to have left Crawley for us), so when we appointed Revs I didn't kick off and say we should have brought in other unrealistic people instead.

And as said elsewhere, I am certain that had Revs been top of our list he would have been announced immediately. To me the time it took clearly suggests we tried to get somebody (or somebodies) else and failed, so went with somebody who knows the club and has been heavily involved in the past couple of years of success (as well as some failure previously) rather than taking more of a risk on somebody who has never managed in the FL and who doesn't know the club. I am fine with that.

Edit: And there is also no way on earth that Wallace didn't discuss the feeling of the squad with Pidge and some other senior players. He always does. So those on here saying that all our squad will now be handing in transfer requests, hmm.

Edited by Chuds at 18:32:58 on 13th May 2024

By Balders (BALDOCKBORO)13/5 18:45Mon May 13 18:45:05 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 581

I pay zero attention to the rest of the teams in L1/2 other than a couple of days before and after we play them.inhave no real clue whether a manager is any good unless there is a connection, e.g. Mous.

I do however know what Revs did last time. And to a limited extent, what he has done under Evans.

And I like him, and desperately him to do well.

I just don't think he will.

By Sev13/5 19:06Mon May 13 19:06:50 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 582

Same, I managed to name about 5 League One managers I think a couple of weeks ago I was told the other but I still don't remember any of them.

I can tell you

Portsmouth
Peterborough
Lincoln
Leyton Orient
Stevenage
Northampton (couldn't two weeks ago)

Oh and Rotherham and Huddersfield now

Edited by Sev at 19:07:24 on 13th May 2024

By Deano (deanos13)13/5 18:43Mon May 13 18:43:55 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 587

The odds on Revs took a tumble on the Saturday-ish of Cheltenham which would suggest there was some rumour occuring then.
You know better than me but odds shorten when money goes on?

By Owen B13/5 18:29Mon May 13 18:29:08 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 592

No nuance here, thank you.

I agree by and large.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)13/5 09:49Mon May 13 09:49:33 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 878

McCann - No chance
Lindsey - No chance
Duff - No chance
Ainsworth - No thanks
Woodman - No thanks
Cowley - You could argue.
Flynn - No chance
Garrard - No thanks

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:40Mon May 13 09:40:27 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 884

From memory, names I've seen people mention were:

McCann - at a bigger club already with Donny
Lindsey - too late too appoint if Crawley win play off
Duff
Ainsworth - thinks he's better than he is, probably wouldn't entertain little ol Stevo, the club with no ambition (quote)
Woodman - possibly, big step from conference to league 1, could see moaners still moaning
Cowley - already employed, compo pay out to get him,
Flynn
Garrard - Failed

Whether they were attainable or would be any better I don't know.

There were plenty more in the next manager odds market.

cant see Phil paying out much compo to get a manager

By Chuds13/5 09:33Mon May 13 09:33:19 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 903

Half of those there is no chance we get, the other half I would rather have Revs.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:41Mon May 13 09:41:36 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 877

Stop making sensible comments will you ;-)

Madness with some of the comments madness

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)13/5 09:40Mon May 13 09:40:41 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 883

Yep!

By Sev13/5 09:35Mon May 13 09:35:05 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 887

Aye.

We wouldn't be willing to pay a huge amount to buy a manager out of a contract and those in a nice job at the moment probably wouldn't want to risk us anyway even if in a higher league.

By Owen B13/5 08:26Mon May 13 08:26:38 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 946

To play devil's advocate, we've literally gone from someone with a proven track record. I think that's why people are questioning this appointment.

By Copeysaurus (CDawg)13/5 09:46Mon May 13 09:46:27 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 878

We won the lottery with Evans.

There is no one out there with a similar CV who would consider us.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:50Mon May 13 09:50:30 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 880

yay sanity at last :-)

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 08:36Mon May 13 08:36:16 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 930

yep i get that, but i don't get what people were expecting, do they have delusions of grandeur, expecting a big signing, when ultimately we are seen as a small club with a small budget

By Owen B13/5 08:47Mon May 13 08:47:27 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 918

I understand where you're coming from. It's also that Revs has done the job before and he didn't do it very well. The appointment has people a bit baffled, rather than necessarily demanding that we should have installed Mourinho or Ancelotti.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:07Mon May 13 09:07:52 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 907

People not naming names when they vent about this apparently awful appointment that is going to relegate the club, expectations have been high the season just gone, in my opinion Mr Wallace and the board would've crapped their pants had we made it to the championship, so this season consolidate and make do

By Owen B13/5 09:10Mon May 13 09:10:12 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 906

I disagree that people should have to put up a list of possible managerial appointments. If people are a bit miffed by the reappointment of Revell, I think that's a fair enough opinion given what's gone before.

By Mutley (Mutley34)13/5 09:16Mon May 13 09:16:44 2024In response to Re: Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 895

if people are willing to say the the appointment is wrong and the club should appoint this type and that type, give example of what they think should have been appointed, thus adding credence to their points

Martha from Baby Reindeer.

By WASP (Original Mr Wasp)13/5 08:12Mon May 13 08:12:00 2024In response to Who was you expecting as ManagerTop of thread

Views: 1016

A female version of Evans

Re: Martha from Baby Reindeer.

By Freemo13/5 09:50Mon May 13 09:50:16 2024In response to Martha from Baby Reindeer. Top of thread

Views: 887

A terrified Sir Alex spots him sat front and centre at his latest after dinner gig.

Re: Martha from Baby Reindeer.

By HitchinBoro exCalling (HitchinBoro exCalling)13/5 08:23Mon May 13 08:23:36 2024In response to Martha from Baby Reindeer. Top of thread

Views: 941

The real Martha apparently disagrees and is suing the writer for libel or something similar.

Previous thread: WATN #6229 by bcb199417/5 14:28Fri May 17 14:28:53 2024view thread