Hamlet 2 Hampton 2
A shame we couldn't get the win in front of our biggest home crowd for decades. I would imagine the FA Amateur Cup Quarter Final replay against Ilford in 1974 was the last time a crowd of this size flocked to a Hamlet game at Champion Hill. (A Sunday afternoon charity game between Old Alleynians and a Superstars XI, heavily plugged on Capital Radio, pulled around 12,000 to the previous ground in 1978.)
It was a close contest to which Hampton fully contributed, although perhaps absorbing rather than truly exciting. Initially the visitors seemed more fired up by the big crowd and put our goal under a fair amount of pressure before Hamlet began to get going. A slightly mistimed header over the bar from Kamara and a shot wide by James were our best chances of a fairly cagey half hour's play leading up to half time.
The tempo quickened in the second half and Hamlet took the lead around ten minutes in when James broke free on the left, cooly sized up his options then picked out Carew beyond the far post, whose first time shot on target deflected off a defender to leave the keeper with no chance. Hamlet were undermined midway through the half when a disastrously misplaced pass from Patterson, who had replaced the limping Gonsalves less than five minutes earlier, left Hampton's quickest forward with a clear run through the inside right channel and he went down in the box under a challenge from Samuels, chasing back and tackling from the inside. Looking down the pitch from behind the other goal it seemed a fairly clear cut penalty, but friends watching from much closer along that side of the pitch were adamant that it wasn't a foul and their player either dived or fell. Samuels was dismissed for a second yellow card and the penalty taker sent Wilson the wrong way with a shot that would have been within reach had he stood his ground. However Hamlet made light of teh setback , with Boyle coming on to stretch the visiting defence with his rangy running on the counter attack, and with just over ten minutes left we regained the lead with a goal fit for the occasion. Pinnock, shadowed by two defenders, chased a loose ball right into the corner. With an incredible combination of nimble footwork and ball control our big centre back slalomed past the pair of them in a flash and ran the ball hard into the box before pulling it back to the 18 yard line, where Carew stroked a measured first time shot into the far top corner with breathtaking power and precision. Hamlet came close to taking a decisive lead when James broke clear on the left and shot fractionally wide of the near post, but unsurprisingly Hampton cranked up the pressure as the game drew towards a close and with around sixty second left before play entered stoppage time a low cross into crowded goalmouth was fired into our net at the second attempt. Without the mistake that led to the penalty and sending off I think we'd have won, but on balance of play over the ninety minutes Hampton played their part in our big day and deserved their point.
New recruit ibrahim Mansaray (no relation to Abdul and about twice the size) made a brief debut as substitute:
Team (4-3-3): wilson - Kamara, Forbes(c), Pinnock, Gonsalves - Carew, Samuels, Vidal - Neita, James, Hibbert.
Subs: Patterson (for Gonsalves), Boyle (for Neita), I.Mansaray (for Hibbert). Hamici, A.Mansaray (not used).
Unofficial attendance: 3,256
Next article in this thread: v Fisher FA Cup Replay by East Dulwich Chels8/9/2014 16:34Mon Sep 8 16:34:13 2014
- non league day match thread ! by garethwrexy6/9/2014 11:58Sat Sep 6 11:58:25 2014view thread
- re by garethwrexy6/9/2014 15:15Sat Sep 6 15:15:16 2014
- Re: re by son of salt6/9/2014 17:21Sat Sep 6 17:21:00 2014
- attendance by garethwrexy6/9/2014 17:45Sat Sep 6 17:45:11 2014
- Re: attendance by westwickham pink6/9/2014 18:25Sat Sep 6 18:25:32 2014
- re by garethwrexy6/9/2014 19:16Sat Sep 6 19:16:17 2014
- Re: re by westwickham pink6/9/2014 19:51Sat Sep 6 19:51:56 2014
- Re: re by Michael6/9/2014 20:42Sat Sep 6 20:42:55 2014
- Re: re by The Pink & Blue6/9/2014 23:20Sat Sep 6 23:20:32 2014
- Attendance by pitchfork7/9/2014 07:35Sun Sep 7 07:35:23 2014
- Congratulations by daveu8/9/2014 13:09Mon Sep 8 13:09:06 2014
- I think by LinesmanIan8/9/2014 14:34Mon Sep 8 14:34:04 2014
- Re: I think by daveu8/9/2014 19:49Mon Sep 8 19:49:32 2014
- Hamlet 2 Hampton 2 by Pink Panther7/9/2014 11:10Sun Sep 7 11:10:03 2014
- v Fisher FA Cup Replay by East Dulwich Chels8/9/2014 16:34Mon Sep 8 16:34:13 2014
- Re: v Fisher FA Cup Replay by Andy019/9/2014 09:25Tue Sep 9 09:25:26 2014
- Re: v Fisher FA Cup Replay by Pink Panther9/9/2014 12:29Tue Sep 9 12:29:34 2014
- re by garethwrexy9/9/2014 18:31Tue Sep 9 18:31:50 2014
- And this is what the day looked like by Pink Panther7/9/2014 12:57Sun Sep 7 12:57:32 2014
- re by garethwrexy7/9/2014 17:56Sun Sep 7 17:56:10 2014
- ground record by garethwrexy7/9/2014 17:53Sun Sep 7 17:53:27 2014