ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Unofficial Dulwich Hamlet FC Fans Forum

THIS FORUM IS FOR FANS OF DULWICH HAMLET FC TO AIR THEIR VIEWS BUT IS COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT FOR THE FOOTBALL CLUB

Return to front page

Newest article: Visit Tooting by cabhit3/5 22:34Fri May 3 22:34:38 2019view thread

Oldest article: billericay away by champion20136/4/2014 22:35Sun Apr 6 22:35:44 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Ex Players by LinesmanIan29/9/2014 10:55Mon Sep 29 10:55:36 2014view thread

Canvey 1 Hamlet 2

By Pink Panther (legacy user)5/10/2014 12:54Sun Oct 5 12:54:48 2014In response to Kalakoutis

Views: 2062

A hard fought away win in which we rode our luck a bit in the second half against a side who are no mugs. For the first quarter of the game Hamlet were totally dominant with the play almost entirely in the Canvey half and almost all the possession ours.

Hamlet were in front within five minutes after a Clunis shot from twenty yards was deflected and Vidal showed impressive alertness to pounce and force it into the net from short range before teh defenders could reach the ball. Then came that incident that could have reduced Canvey to ten men after only fifteen minutes. Firstly it wouldn't have been a penalty as the foul took place outside the box; Clunis clearly had his shirt pulled by the last defender doing his utmost to stop him unfairly as he wsent clear slightly to the left of centre, but he stayed on his feet, steadied himself, and shot just wide from around 15 yards. I didn't particularly have a problem with not pulling the play back and showing a red card, as there was a clear advantage played and I'm not sure the foul significantly reduced his chances of scoring. He wasn't denied a clear scoring opportunity, because he still had one and wasted it. However the foul was so blatantly deliberate and calculated the offender surely ought to have been booked afterwards, but wasn't.

Casnvey had started to come more into the game towards the end of the first half, and by the second half they generally seemed to have the ascendancy in midfield. The speed with which they transformed defence into attack when our own attacking play broke down was a bit of a worry. Around midway though the half they equalised from a neat corner routine, a low cross pulled back to the near post swept emphatically into the roof of the net. But the home side had no real chance to build on that as within five minutes a foul more than thirty yards out gave Carew another chance to demonstrate his prowess at the art of the direct free kick. A dipping, swerving shot reached the keeper at waist height and somehow slithered through his hands and spun over the line inside the near post. Canvey forced a lot of set pieces after that as we were repeatedly penalised for fouls in midfield, but our defence stood firm with Oshane Brown well protected and equal to everything that was required of him.

As ian noted, the referee's performance prompted a lot of comment about various incidents. I think I preferred the days when most ref's seemed to fall into two stereotypical categories: the bald skinny bloke and fat grey haired bloke. Now there seems to be a prominent new more youthful category resembling an overeagar 'school swot'. This bloke looked to be in his early twenties nd began by letting off a series of players with a few words when perhaps a yellow card should have been shown. For a start there was the foul on Clunis, then the lunge from Ishmail Kamara, whom we know from his Hamlet days to be a somewhat abrasive performer who must have left plenty of our opponents nursing bumps and bruises the day after playing against us. Then after about half an hour he suddenly started booking people for things he'd overlooked earlier, and there was a clear inconsistency thoughout inpenalising people for stuff aroudn the halfway line when there was little immediate chance of a goal threat, but not doing so when he might have had to show a red card or a serious attack broke down. (This is a real pet hate of mine.) Perhaps most annoyingly of all he sent two of our substitutes back to the touchline for what appeared to be kit-related irregularities as soon as they'd entered the field, leaving us to restart a man short. How often do you ever see that? Apart from anything else I felt that undermined his assistant, who had already checked the players before letting them on.

Nick Kalakoutis, a tall strong midfielder, gave a solid if unspectacular cameo on debut, shoring up the midfield during the final quarter. (Perhaps his most noteworthy achievement was to actually take his place on the field without being ordered back to the touchline by Mr P. E. Dantic.)

Team (4-2-1-3): Brown - Hibbert, Forbes(c), Pinnock, Shaw - Carew, Samuels - Vidal - Graham, McCoulsky, Clunis.
Subs: Mendy (for Graham), Kalakoutis (for Carew), I.Mansaray (for Mendy), Hysi, Gonsalves (not used).
Attendance: 409

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Canvey 1 Hamlet 2 by Avery Dave5/10/2014 12:58Sun Oct 5 12:58:16 2014

Previous thread: Following from Madrid by John Alford5/10/2014 20:30Sun Oct 5 20:30:06 2014view thread