Re: v Maidstone.
Pretty much agree with Ian's assessment. I saw the whole game from a seat at teh back of the stand, so had a good view. The strong easterly wind was rather unfortunate, blowing towards the Greendale End. I felt that spoiled the game and made it hard for either side to build any real momentum. The end of season pitch was rather bobbly, which also hampered ball control. Hamlet had more possession and territory in the first half, whereas more of the second half took place in our half, but I actually felt more confident we might get something on the break in this period. Essentially I think neither side really wanted to risk getting caught out in pursuit of victory.
One thing that surprised me was that we left so many experinced players on the bench: Forbes, Jarrett, James, McDonald - all in their late 20's or 30's, and all have played most of their careers at higher levels including Football League. The back four all played well and functioned well as a unit, so Forbes wasn't missed, but I felt that had the other three spent more time on the pitch between them we might have had a better chance of unlocking the Stones defence. Carew, the most experienced outfielder in our starting XI was our best and most potent creative force in my view, and I think a second player able to exert similar influence could have made a big difference.
I have to say I thought the referee was dreadful. Many of his decisions were completely baffling to me. Without really favouring either side overall, he could easily have conjured a decisive goal out of nothing by repeatedly missing or ingnoring clear fouls, or giving free kicks for incidents that didn't merit them.
Team (4-2-3-1): Wilson - Hibbert, Drage, Pinnock(c), Shaw - Carew, Dixon - Wanadio, Vidal, Clunis - Ottaway.
Subs: Jarrett (for Dixon), Samuels (for Shaw), McDonald (for Wanadio), Forbes, James (not used).
Edited by Pink Panther at 12:09:21 on 20th April 2015
Next article in this thread: Re: v Maidstone. by Jamie Wyatt19/4/2015 16:21Sun Apr 19 16:21:42 2015
- v Maidstone. by bobgee12/4/2015 16:08Sun Apr 12 16:08:15 2015view thread
- Re: v Maidstone. by footballexclusives.com20/4/2015 20:23Mon Apr 20 20:23:21 2015
- Re: v Maidstone. by Edgar Kail18/4/2015 22:18Sat Apr 18 22:18:09 2015
- Re: v Maidstone. by guyso18/4/2015 23:32Sat Apr 18 23:32:09 2015
- Re: v Maidstone. by LinesmanIan19/4/2015 07:55Sun Apr 19 07:55:34 2015 2 people
- Re: v Maidstone. by Pink Panther19/4/2015 11:35Sun Apr 19 11:35:52 2015
- Re: v Maidstone. by Jamie Wyatt19/4/2015 16:21Sun Apr 19 16:21:42 2015 1 person
- Re: v Maidstone. by jack20/4/2015 00:43Mon Apr 20 00:43:06 2015