ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Unofficial Dulwich Hamlet FC Fans Forum

THIS FORUM IS FOR FANS OF DULWICH HAMLET FC TO AIR THEIR VIEWS BUT IS COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT FOR THE FOOTBALL CLUB

Return to front page

Newest article: Buy Registered Passport, Drivers license,Id card… by komtangi8/3 17:35Fri Mar 8 17:35:58 2019view thread

Oldest article: billericay away by champion20136/4/2014 22:35Sun Apr 6 22:35:44 2014view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: V leatherhead by LinesmanIan16/10/2016 18:53Sun Oct 16 18:53:32 2016view thread

Re: V Bognor

By Pink Panther11/10/2016 12:00Tue Oct 11 12:00:35 2016In response to Re: V Bognor

Views: 678

The defence is a total mess. Drage & Weatherstone ought to be a decent enough centre back combination, but I'm not convinced we have an adequate full back in the squad. I'd pick Jordan Hibbert ahead of anyone we now have for either full back spot, and we offloaded him last summer. And what on earth did Palace do to Michael Chambers in his three years there?

We could have created and scored more on Saturday, but good sides usually get something from home games in which they score just one goal, because the best sides don' often concede more than one at home. We've yet to keep a clean sheet in seven home league games, and we've conceded two or more in five of them, and taken just one point from those five. In most recent seasons we haven't lost four home league games in the entire season.

After galvanising the team to a 6-1 win in his first game of the season Kevin James has begun to look like a player approaching his 37th birthday in the last two home defeats. The central midfield had no legs in it with him and Carew there; they weren't providing adequate protection to the defenders behind them and they weren't providing adequate support to those ahead of them. There was a moment early in the game when a wayward Bognor pass wetn straight to Carew in space well inside their half. He had the opportunity to run the ball at a broken field, Clunis (I think?) was running with him and there was a simple opportunity to release him into space, but instead he slowed down, put his foot on the ball, and started looking for other options, and Bognor's defenders quickly funnelled back and snuffed out the danger. He infuriated me all last season by doing this sort of thing, slowing the tempo at the wrong moment, and he doesn't even take set pieces now: Carr is the penalty taker, James was taking corners, then when we got that free kick in just the sort of place from which Carew has been so deadly in the past Tomlin pulled rank and took it, and hit the post.

I'm also not at all convinced that Preston Edwards is an upgrade on Phil Wilson, who had three poor games last February and was never seen again after well over 200 appearances for the club. I'll admit I felt he was maybe a weak link by the start of last season, as I felt we had the strongest squad in the league, but there were better goalkeepers, but on the whole I felt he was his usual dependable self for the vast majority of games he played last season, and over all games played last season i'd say he was one of the better players. He's an old fashioned type of keeper - a big thick set man who doesn't come charging to the edge of his box and get involved in passing movements around the back four, which is what managers seem to want these days. I prefer goalkeepers to concentrate on keeping goal.

I'm not normally one for getting impatient and advocating wholesale changes, but the team looks like it needs to be ripped apart and rebuilt for a fourth time since the end of the first season back in the Premier Division - or at least the rear portion of it. We have an array of exciting forwards who should be capable of firing us to promotion if the platform behind them is solid enough.

Bognor lost a number of their best players in the summer, cherry picked by bigger/wealthier clubs, but they kept most of the rest, plugged the gaps with low profile signings, and still look a tidy and efficient team playing attractive football. Their new centre forward Jimmy Wild is a teenager plucked from county league football; he was the biggest man on the field, had quick feet and a great touch and was a real handful for our defence.

Edited by Pink Panther at 12:03:01 on 11th October 2016

reply to this article | return to the front page

2 people like this 2 people   

Next article in this thread: Re: V Bognor by LinesmanIan12/10/2016 12:15Wed Oct 12 12:15:02 2016

Previous thread: Poppy Appeal & Armistice Day: by Inbetweener10/10/2016 12:57Mon Oct 10 12:57:51 2016view thread