ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Pre Season Friendly fixture list by Middx WandererYesterday 15:42Yesterday at 15:42:23view thread

Oldest article: BBC Non League Show by Town Colours25/7/2012 20:58Wed Jul 25 20:58:44 2012view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Boro 0 Hendon 2 by Middx Wanderer17/4/2017 18:28Mon Apr 17 18:28:29 2017view thread

Re: Christian Nanetti

By Alan A16/4/2017 12:26Sun Apr 16 12:26:33 2017In response to Re: Christian Nanetti

Views: 542

Technology, eh?
I haven't been on one of these forums for yonks. It reckoned I hadn't acknowledged a confirmation e-mail, so I clicked for a confirmation e-mail.
When I came back 'ere from acknowledging the new confirmation e-mail link, it told me the link had expired. Three times!
Couldn't re-register on my old e-mail address, or under my name, coz they're already registered. Apparently.
And that's on all of these forums, not just this one.

Nanetti divided opinion at Lewes, where he was presumably on a fair wedge.

Anyhow, Cappers, point being... What do think of the League of Ireland, standardwise?

I used to watch a fair bit of it in Kilburn pubs on Friday nights before the late-noughties crash. There was money around in those days. Ex-Reading & Barnet midfielder Joe Gamble was allegedly the League's highest-paid player back then - on €4,000 per week at the old Cork club. Naturally, he settled for that to play in his home town, rather than schlep up and down England in Division Three for less money or try to get a Division Two contract for that salary. There were allegedly a few players up and down the country on not much less. Standard was pretty good. Shelbourne almost made the Champions League group stage - before the qualifiers were "dumbed down" into a "Champions" section and a "Loadsamoney" section - beating Hajduk Split & holding Deportivo La Coruna to a draw in the 1st leg of the last qualifying round.

Then came the crash. The money ran out. Cork were relegated for failing to meet financial requirements; Derry were relegated for having everyone on duplicate contracts; Shels went skint; recent champs Drogheda went skint; Limerick went skint; Galway disappeared altogether, as did the ridiculous Dublin City franchise.

When I was living just the other side of Mountjoy Prison from Dalymount Park a couple of years back, I walked around the corner to watch Bohemians a few times. They managed to finish 5th in 2015, in spite of starting at 150/1. Being frank, if they'd transferred to the Ryman Premier for the 15/16 season that August, I wouldn't have backed them each-way at 10/1. I didn't see either Dundalk or Cork live that season but, judging on results an the odd TV viewing, I'd have said Dundalk & maybe Cork might well win Connie South but not make the play-offs in Division Five. The Limerick side that started that campaign with a long winless streak wouldn't have stayed up in the Ryman Premier.
It was a strange league. Galway in particular looked as if they should be facing Hull Kingston Rovers as they emerged from the tunnel, then proceeded to attempt tippy-tap tiki-taka with no hint of an end product and a distinct lack of aggression & penetration, never mind thuggery, up front. All the teams were very "continental" by normal British Isles standards.
Last season, all the LoI teams were wiped in the opening round in Europe.
This term, Cork edged past a pre-season Linfield (who probably wouldn't stay up in Connie South) but then got past an in-season Hacken, admittedly only in Europe because they won the Swedish Cup, & only lost by the odd goal in each leg against Genk. Dundalk remarkably beat BATE Borisov, a club most people would peg as Division Two (Championship) class and lost 3-1 on aggregate to Legia in the last qualifier. They beat Maccabi Tel-Aviv & got a point at Alkmaar in the Europa League and lost their other four games only by the odd goal - including two matches against Zenit. That's a record that suggests a level a lot higher than Connie South.

I know Cork have won their first nine in the league, putting huge pressure on Dundalk, but how good would you say they are?

Edited by Alan A at 12:29:05 on 16th April 2017

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Christian Nanetti by cappers16/4/2017 15:58Sun Apr 16 15:58:35 2017

Previous thread: Havant & Waterlooville v Harrow Boro by South Harrow Old Boy30/3/2017 16:16Thu Mar 30 16:16:30 2017view thread