Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Merthyr v Boro Preview. by Terry8/3/2019 15:16Fri Mar 8 15:16:46 2019view thread

Re: Boros Promotion Rivals

By cappers7/3/2019 16:25Thu Mar 7 16:25:36 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion Rivals

Views: 884

First of all, I'd just like to comment on how pleasing it is to see our forum so active. Arguably, we have one of the most active forums in the whole division which is no mean feat considering how low our average attendance is. Well done everyone. Keep posting!

To give you a bit of background information, I believe my first Boro game was in 1999 against Walton & Hersham at home. I was in my early teens. I left the UK in December 2011 and have only been to one Boro game since then. During my time watching Boro (1999-2011) I'd say my favourite players were:

Richard Goddard - A mountain of a defender and I think he played as a striker as well sometimes although I may be wrong. When the ball came near him in the air, he'd shout "Dickies" and I think everyone in the ground and beyond could hear his call.

Wayne Walters - Long serving club captain. Legend!

Rocky Baptiste - I wasn't sure what he would offer us at his age but he did really well and had a real knack of scoring. Was of course part of the succesful team that reached the play-offs and got to the first round of the FA Cup in the same season.

In terms of promotion to the National South (or North - you never know with the FA!) my main issue with it is that we surely won't be able to progress any further (i.e National Premier) due to ground grading restrictions. Surely the enjoyment factor of football is knowing that the reward for winning a particular league or play-off is that you will get promoted to a higher level. I'm not for one minute suggesting that if we were to go up, we would be pushing for promotion but lets just say we did somehow manage to do really well (bear in mind 7th gets you a play-off spot) we would have to give up our playoff spot to the team below us. In the 16-17 season both Poole and Hungerford had to give up their play-off spots and look at them now. Poole are in our division and Hungerford are in the relegation zone in the National South. If they had been allowed to compete in the play-offs and get promoted who knows where they would be now,

As I mentioned earlier I don't live in the UK but if I did I certainly wouldn't want to move back to the Isthmian (assuming we don't go up). We've adapted well to life in the Southern League and from a fans point of view the towns and cities on offer are far nicer to visit as an away fan in this league than what is on offer in the Isthmian Premier. Also the standard of football currently in the Southern Prem South may be lower than the Isthmian Prem but that is up for debate. However, as I don't go to matches it doesn't bother me too much as to whether we are in the Southern or Isthmian leagues.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Boros Promotion Rivals by Terry7/3/2019 16:43Thu Mar 7 16:43:51 2019

Previous thread: Taunton Highlights and manager Interview by Fixtures Direct7/3/2019 10:57Thu Mar 7 10:57:58 2019view thread