Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Hungerford match highlights by harrowred26/3 19:01Tue Mar 26 19:01:19 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Happy new year by BoroHome&Away1/1/2020 00:15Wed Jan 1 00:15:32 2020view thread

Re: Hendon 0 Harrow Borough 1 match report

By John Rogers27/12/2019 13:51Fri Dec 27 13:51:10 2019In response to Re: Hendon 0 Harrow Borough 1 match report

Views: 828

It's a bit of a double-edged sword to be honest.

I think most of us are used to watching games on it now. The amount of rubber crumb visible surface doesn't look great aesthetically but I do generally think it rewards sides that try and get the ball down. Good sides still look good on it, bad sides still look bad on it, just like on real grass.

In terms of the bounce, it can be a little awkward at times, particularly if the ball is spinning, but then if we'd played on grass yesterday then there's a chance that the wet conditions would have meant the ball 'plugging' as it bounced on the sodden surface. Equally, when you play games during spring time when the weather improves on hard bobbly pitches where the bounce is equally unpredictable. As I say, I think you get used to watching games on it though, so can fully accept it looking a bit odd to those that don't so often.

As you'll probably remember, the Kingsbury slope is a relic of the original ground. Levelling the pitch off was investigated when the carpet was laid back in 2015, however the costs involved were prohibitive. I think that's here to stay.

The surface due for renewal in 2-3 years, I think, and the guys behind the scenes are doing a lot of research into improving it then.

There are benefits involved to having the artificial surface, the pitch is in constant use during the week which is crucial when it comes to financing itself and re-laying, and on days like yesterday when the weather is inclement, you arrive at the game knowing in full confidence that the game will go ahead.

It's not as good as some around - Sutton, Dorchester, Carshalton, for example - but I don't mind it. It's played a huge part in keeping Hendon Football Club alive, and our record definitely puts paid to any theory that we gain an advantage playing on it, so I'll take it for now :)

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Hendon 0 Harrow Borough 1 match report by Terry27/12/2019 14:05Fri Dec 27 14:05:52 2019

Previous thread: we love away days by lee26/12/2019 17:35Thu Dec 26 17:35:39 2019view thread