Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: “Highlights” by Terrance31/8/2021 22:38Tue Aug 31 22:38:56 2021view thread

Re: Lost 4-0

By APAW29/8/2021 02:35Sun Aug 29 02:35:43 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0

Views: 743

It was I commentating on the radio. Obviously I can't speak of my own bias (but nor can people that didn't even hear what I had to say...) but there was very little positive about the first half in my book. Might have been a bit melodramatic at times but it was such a turgid opening period. Felt like I had neck strain from watching Harrow hoof the ball, only for it to be headed right back by Poole, for the cycle to repeat over, and over, ad nauseum.

The opening goal was completely befitting of the first 45 - Harrow made a pig's ear of clearing it, Poole kept aimlessly pumping the ball forward - tried a fancy flick on that failed, but bounced kindly for our winger, who then scuffed it past the goalkeeper who really should have done better. Trickled over the line.

Whilst they had a few corners, Harrow had a single shot from a free-kick in the first period, which came right at the end of the half. It would be harsh to say Poole were playing on the counter, as that would imply Harrow had attacks to counter.

It took 22 minutes for Poole to have a shot themselves, honestly up there with the worst 45 minutes of football I've had the displeasure of watching. As soon as Poole had a sustained attack that lasted multiple phases (not from keeping the ball, but having it kindly returned multiple times) it resulted in a goal. They then came into the second half with a bit more purpose and energy, and carried that on 10 minutes after the goal until the game petered out.

I notice you have five goalkeepers registered according to the Southern League website - one is your goalkeeping coach, and the other is still playing cricket - but surely the ex-Colchester youngster you've signed should be given a go? The loanee keeper looked out of his depth. Was lucky to stay on as well - definitely went in with a headbutting motion that seemingly is always a red on TV, but the ref had a better view than me I must admit.

I saw someone moan on here about the second but none of the players complained, 'keeper was never in possession of the ball and simply lost the header. I agree that as soon as the second went in the game was over as a contest. The final two goals came from non-existent marking at a set-piece and then a poor pass back that was punished.

I felt that 3 at the back stifled Poole, especially in the wide areas where they like to overlap, but it did limit service to Ewington, who is a very good striker that has haunted us for his former clubs. That being said, the midfield was completely bypassed in the first half, and as soon as Poole got a handle of possession in the middle the game was decided.

As a neutral I wouldn't say there is too much to worry about, seems like there are decent players getting game time for the first time at this level, and just need to find their feet. Honestly feels like any side is capable of getting a result off anyone. All the best for the rest of the season.

Edited by APAW at 02:36:45 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:37:23 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:39:58 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:44:12 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:44:56 on 29th August 2021

reply to this article | return to the front page

Next article in this thread: Re: Lost 4-0 by cappers29/8/2021 10:21Sun Aug 29 10:21:49 2021

Previous thread: The Gameplan. by Terrance28/8/2021 19:21Sat Aug 28 19:21:27 2021view thread