Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Salisbury 3 Boro 1 by Middx Wanderer20/10/2019 15:02Sun Oct 20 15:02:08 2019view thread

The Long Ball Game

By Terry29/9/2019 01:08Sun Sep 29 01:08:42 2019

Views: 1346

So Red Harrow mentioned about playing the Long ball up and not being effective today.Agreed this what you should do!
Your Looking to play the ball down the channels in the opponents half when you go Long
To win 2nd ball to win throws corners and free kicks.
Throws important.
Its a massive weakness not a have someone who can throw Long into the box.
Got to call as it is the management need to find such a player.
So get the ball wide balls in the area you bombard the area aka Carshalton when we had them on the ropes last 30 mins.
When a player has a ball wide dont come side just get the cross we defo over complicate by always looking players to come short keep it simple get crosses in.
As Gee Clement said far too many fancy dan systems which are useless.Free Kicks fom midfield always hit the box never play them short.Its about putting constant pressure on the opponents goal.Not endless passes with no end product.
Straight 4-4-2 Players with a fierce determination to win a good straight forward way of playing and the results will come we have a talented squad of players and excellent manager.

Edited by Terry at 01:09:17 on 29th September 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person dislikes this 1 person

Re: The Long Ball Game

By Middx Wanderer29/9/2019 20:56Sun Sep 29 20:56:06 2019In response to The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1176

Football is game of opinions, it's worth remembering we are sixth in the league, so doing plenty of things right.
I personally like our passing game. To be a success it must be played at a high tempo which has been missing in the last few games. George Moore being out is a big miss for us.
Why would our current team lob a load of high balls into the Box from the half way line etc.
Surely better to work it wide & pull the ball back for the forwards to attack. We do need to get more balls in to the box but quality, not hoofed from all angles

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Terry30/9/2019 01:02Mon Sep 30 01:02:03 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1235

Yes agreed Middlesex Wanderer Alan opinions makes this forum so great.
Yes theres got to be a mix.
Myself and Town Colours have said recentlty we dont have a plan B so lve put forward another style of play.
Ive got to say on Saturday we had a free on half way the players didnt know what to do played 4 passes amongst themselves and Lost the ball.
So why not go long hit the box win 2nd ball to me thats smart football.
Also tells me theres a Lack of attention to detail in our so called game plan if one exists.
Its Looks to me the players are given a formation to play and told to express themselves.
Thats why the issue of someone taking a long throw has never been adressed.
As we saw against Carshalton all we did was match them 4-5-1 first half with to try and nullify them at home!
We are doing things well on our budget agreed.
But can we take to the next Level.
Everyone can see we are short of power in midfield this needs urgent adressing in the type of players we sign.
Passing game is well and good but Lets be blunt are the players good enough to play endless short passes Like the pros to be honest no.
So l would say keep it simple hit the channels and box as often as possible.

Edited by Terry at 01:03:40 on 30th September 2019
Edited by Terry at 03:02:11 on 30th September 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By Middx Wanderer30/9/2019 09:03Mon Sep 30 09:03:14 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1153

I think you will find Hendon are playing pretty much the type of football you are suggesting. It's not good to watch & for Hendon clearly not getting them results.

Most of our players are contracted for the season, so I suggest being positive about what we do have & stop repeating the same negative advice.

We don't take long throws, in fact we struggle to take accurate short ones, no need to repeat that one.
We don't hoof our free kicks 50 yes upfield, probably because we do not have a 6'6 centre forward.
We don't try to kick the opponents off the park in midfield most weeks we play better football than our opponents.
There are 16 teams below us in the league most have a bigger budget than us, most have less travelling costs too. They would happily swap places in the league with us "The next level" has been achieved we are competing at the top end of the league.
We played exactly the football you suggest under Eddie Stien, It wasn't successful & I know which team I prefer to watch.

3 people like this 3 people   

By cappers30/9/2019 12:19Mon Sep 30 12:19:42 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1085

I write this as someone who doesn't go to games but if I were attending games, I would much rather watch short passing effective football over long ball football any day. That's not to say we should never play a long ball. There needs to be variation in any teams style.

Football has evolved and I hope the days of hoof ball are long behind us. From the sounds of it, it seems like we are playing football the right way and long let that continue. I don't want us signing players just because they can take a long throw in. I don't want us puttng free kicks in to the box from the half way line. I don't want our central midfielders kciking lumps out of opposition players. Let's leave that sort of play to poor bottom division sunday league teams that have very little ability.

Edited by cappers at 12:20:26 on 30th September 2019

2 people like this 2 people   

By John Rogers30/9/2019 10:19Mon Sep 30 10:19:01 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1124

"I think you will find Hendon are playing pretty much the type of football you are suggesting. It's not good to watch & for Hendon clearly not getting them results."

We've been very Jekyll and Hyde this season, at times we look a good side and that's when we get the ball down and pass it through midfield, using the pace of our wide men to good effect. However, that's very much in fits and starts. When we do go long - which happens more than I'd like - it is pretty ugly and ineffectual since we're lumping balls up to our centre-forward who finds himself more often than not isolated against two centre-halves and no Green shirt within fifteen yards of him.

Our problem, up to Saturday when we were thoroughly outplayed, has been twofold. Firstly, a failure to take chances when on top - we should have been 3-0 up against Wimborne at half-time, 5-1 up against Yate Town in the closing stages but were pegged back in both games. Then we've looked golden for 45-minutes in games and gone completely missing after the break.

The best sides I've seen this terms are those that get the ball down and try and play. Poole on Saturday were, with the possible exception of Weymouth, the best proponents of that. Weston looked a good side for forty-five minutes too.

By Middx Wanderer30/9/2019 10:24Mon Sep 30 10:24:34 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1080

Thanks john , I wasnt knocking Hendon, just using you a great example of a similar club to ourselves, Playing a longer ball game & have two Long Throw experts in Tingey & Chappell..

Edited by Middx Wanderer at 10:25:22 on 30th September 2019

By John Rogers30/9/2019 10:30Mon Sep 30 10:30:34 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1145

Ah, no offence taken :)

I can count on the thumbs of one hand the number of times I've actually seen one of our long-throws into the box cause too much in the way of trouble, never mind a goal!

By harrowred (RedHarrow)30/9/2019 11:40Mon Sep 30 11:40:31 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1367

It’s easier said than done Terry. The ball was hit into the channels plenty on Saturday. The problem was it was not accurate and most of the time went out for a throw in to the opposition. When it did get to our forwards, the first touch and hold up play was often lacking and without any wingers there was nobody to lay it off to besides the central midfield.

I think we have a good style of play. I love it when we get it down and spread it wide and get at opposition fullbacks. I think we will be effective this season with overlaps when wingers cut inside and getting crosses in the box. Pumping the ball forward at every opportunity will not work consistently.

I absolutely back Steve and what he’s doing with the team, but felt for sure they got it wrong on Saturday. The formation didn’t seem right or effective in anyway. The players were partly to blame too as first touches, passing, shooting and positioning was all quite poor.

By Middx Wanderer30/9/2019 16:07Mon Sep 30 16:07:21 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1066

This gets my vote for post of the season, General comment & of Saturdays match spot on.

It’s easier said than done Terry. The ball was hit into the channels plenty on Saturday. The problem was it was not accurate and most of the time went out for a throw in to the opposition. When it did get to our forwards, the first touch and hold up play was often lacking and without any wingers there was nobody to lay it off to besides the central midfield. 

I think we have a good style of play. I love it when we get it down and spread it wide and get at opposition fullbacks. I think we will be effective this season with overlaps when wingers cut inside and getting crosses in the box. Pumping the ball forward at every opportunity will not work consistently. 

I absolutely back Steve and what he’s doing with the team, but felt for sure they got it wrong on Saturday. The formation didn’t seem right or effective in anyway. The players were partly to blame too as first touches, passing, shooting and positioning was all quite poor.

Edited by Middx Wanderer at 16:08:53 on 30th September 2019

By Terry1/10/2019 02:03Tue Oct 1 02:03:48 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1257

Our Wonderful Forum!
The best in non League where we can express our different views put into the mix to get the best reults for our great club Harrow Borough!
The Long ball game being such a topic.
A bit of passion on this subject!
Its a mix you play every match from a tactical point of you to give you best chance.
You dont worry about the opposistion they worry about you.
When they play us they should fear us.
Pause.
Every successful team have players in midfield who yes can kick!
Or to be PC win the ball!
This stuff about enjoying watching us overlap with wingers and coming inside.
Pause Again.
Micheal Bryan is a very talented player but does this far to often just one touch get it in the box.
Same with the other players wben the ball is wide hit it first time in the area.
Believe or not thats where the goal is.
The idea is to score goals!!!!
All we do is come inside fromwide try and play a fancy short ball and mostly not get the cross at all.
Keep it simple dont overcomplicate things.
Remember this its all about winning nothing else matters do whatever it takes to give you the best chance of doing this.
Fantastic Debate on The Long Ball really enjoying reading other fans opinions and thoughts.
Come On You Reds!!!!!!!

Edited by Terry at 02:05:08 on 1st October 2019
Edited by Terry at 02:05:59 on 1st October 2019
Edited by Terry at 02:06:33 on 1st October 2019

By Whispering Minotaur1/10/2019 11:31Tue Oct 1 11:31:26 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1081

A few thoughts upon reading all this.

Has it crossed your mind Terry that perhaps the reason some of these players aren't doing what you'd like them to do is because they aren't good enough.

Take Michael Bryan (please note the correct spelling of Michael) for example. You want him to take one touch and then get it in the box. Perhaps he feels if he does that the quality of the ball into the box will be worse than it is if he takes more touches?

These are non-league players, not highly paid professionals who play in the Premier League. It seems to me, and I may have judged this wrongly, that you are wanting perfection all the time - that is simply not going to happen at this level of football. Surely you've been watching it long enough to know that by now?

By Terry1/10/2019 13:51Tue Oct 1 13:51:51 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1041

Whispering your right in a way but more a Lack of confidence and belief that they can do it.
Simply put may l quote my golf hero Gary Player again.
When told by some American fan "Gee that was Lucky Holing a Bunker Shot"Gary said yes"The Harder l Work The Luckier l Get" Wise Words!
Hard Work No Ifs No Buts.
How much Hard Work is put into Passing and Crossing in Training.
Does anyone practice Long throws in training for matches
Is there a Hard Work enough Ethic or is it a Jolly.
I dont know the answer.
But l know with Hard Work and Dedication no matter what Level you can Learn to Cross and pass a Ball.
Go in hard for a tackle and should some Fierce Determination to win
Thats what the fans expect Whispering Nothing more Nothing Less my friend.

Edited by Terry at 13:52:25 on 1st October 2019

By RedHarrow (harrowred)1/10/2019 11:07Tue Oct 1 11:07:32 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1201

Hi Terry.

What did you think of the first goal scored by Gosport on Saturday? I recall their winger cutting inside when the full back made an overlap. His doing this allowed our full back to be tricked, our midfield were slow to close and it also allowed his fellow midfielders get into the box. Once he cut inside, he crossed and found a striker to head home. He actually didn’t cross it at the first attempt and they managed to score a goal!

By Terry1/10/2019 13:42Tue Oct 1 13:42:11 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1163

Yes agreed but he took a chance of not geting cross by doing that its 50/50 he gets ball in.
Like Boro doing short corners its 50/50 you get the ball in.
Its about playing the percentages Red Harrow.
Their second goal was route one George Fenton should have been more agressive yes give the guy knock with elbow make sure he doesnt shoot.
2 words every game Intensity and Determination.
Without that we all see the outcome!

Edited by Terry at 15:52:54 on 1st October 2019

By cappers1/10/2019 19:14Tue Oct 1 19:14:21 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1074

Terry, you must have absolutely loved the Crazy Gang (Wimbledon) in the 80's and 90's. I bet you are a fan of Tony Pulis's and Sam Allardayce's style of management. If Harrow Borough played like you want us to play, the fans would get neck ache!

By Terry1/10/2019 19:24Tue Oct 1 19:24:12 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1158

Thanks Cappers for your kind thoughts.
I suppose Vinnie would be a hero but did play for Wealdstone.
I did admire his work ethic to make it as a pro and get off a building site.
Yes John Fashanau Absolutely and rest of Wimbledon team yes absolutely Hard work determination every game getting balls in good areas getting stuck in every game yes qualities l admire.
Sam Allardyce and Tony Pullis are pussycats in Compararsion to the Crazy Gang.
But l realise football has changed and Boro play good football but there must be a mix a plan B a more physical approach which we dont have at present Cappers.

Edited by Terry at 20:12:39 on 1st October 2019

1 person likes this 1 person   1 person dislikes this 1 person

By harrowred30/9/2019 16:24Mon Sep 30 16:24:29 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1147

Thanks Wanderer! Much appreciated. I just think we have a good team and should enjoy it. Sometimes it will go great and at other times it will go bad. All in all I think we are in for a decent season with a good team to watch.

The next 3 games are huge. Big tests. 3 defeats and we will be looking at mid table and checking our shoulders. 5 points and we will be looking at 5th for the rest of the season. 9 points and we can be in the mix for top 4.

Edited by harrowred at 16:25:03 on 30th September 2019

MidTable

By RedHarrow (harrowred)19/10/2019 19:17Sat Oct 19 19:17:00 2019In response to Re: The Long Ball GameTop of thread

Views: 1217

Yep so with 1 point from those 3 games we are definitely looking over our shoulders now. Only 3 points above the relegation zone now. 8 behind the playoffs. Met Police game on Tuesday is now huge. I believe it could be season defining. It could give us a boost ahead of a ‘easier’ run of fixtures and propel us back in to the top 8. However if we lose and continue our bad run in the games after, we will be in a relegation scrap.

Got to start scoring more goals and tightening up at the back. Perhaps a win on Tuesday and progressing against Sudbury in the Trophy can boost confidence. Lots to play for this next week.

Re: MidTable

By Terry19/10/2019 21:20Sat Oct 19 21:20:33 2019In response to MidTableTop of thread

Views: 1004

Hello Red Harrow.I sampled the delights of Hillingdon Boro 3 Amersham 2 in The London Spartan League today am relying other forum members for a report on Salisbury v Boro.
Ive said many times we must be honest on the forum.and tell it Like it is.
We Lack a Leader on the pitch someone who can Lead from the front and set an example and yes demand more effort when needed from the players.
George Fenton and Shaun Preddie do have such skills but as they are rarely Captain we dont see enough of it.
The bottom line l can see theres a Lack of organisation the "gameplan" is go out there and express yourselves.
Thats no where near good enough.
Why are we so easy to score against.
Lack of pressure on ball midfield area.
In my view we lack hard physical players who can mix it and make every game a battle.
We have seen poor recruitment of players and some who we should have shipped in the summer.
Tuesday night a big game.
Can we keep a clean sheet.Unlikely
So straight away we have to score 2 to win.
There needs to be far more effort in training on defence in my opinion.
End of Sermon!

By Earlsmead part-timer19/10/2019 22:24Sat Oct 19 22:24:42 2019In response to Re: MidTableTop of thread

Views: 1042

I couldn't make today either so I won't comment on today's game.
I do agree sometimes overall this season we have seemed "quiet" on the pitch compared to some other teams.
I not entirely sure whether it makes a big difference.
But still think we have a good team assembled who can compete successfully at this level. Although can't deny we've had a dip in form and results.
At Chesham midweek I thought at times we played really well. But at Salisbury I thought that could well be a very tough game.
Agree the Met Police now is very important for us to pick up the points.
Perhaps we've missed Michael Bryan more than we appreciate?
Where is he injured ?
Or have I missed something.

Edited by Earlsmead part-timer at 22:27:38 on 19th October 2019
Edited by Earlsmead part-timer at 22:34:03 on 19th October 2019

By Terry19/10/2019 23:05Sat Oct 19 23:05:54 2019In response to Re: MidTableTop of thread

Views: 983

Yes agreed Earlsmead Part Timer about that lve had to eat some humble pie about Micheal Bryan he is capable of great quality at this Level.
The problem without a vocal Leader on the pitch there can be a Lack of Urgency and lntensity.
When a cross or corner or free kick is badly overhit who in the team shakes his fist to demand better.
Er no one!
Some people on the forum wont Like me saying this but sometimes you do have to win ugly use some of the dark arts by kicking opponents in midfield a bit of sledging getting in opponents faces anything you can do to get off the pitch with 3points.Playing "Good Football" is all very wonderful but its the results that counts!!!!

Edited by Terry at 23:06:25 on 19th October 2019
Edited by Terry at 23:07:00 on 19th October 2019

Previous thread: Chesham 1 Boro 1 by Middx Wanderer15/10/2019 22:29Tue Oct 15 22:29:54 2019view thread