Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Gosport Borough v Harrow Borough Match Preview. by Terry14/12/2019 09:18Sat Dec 14 09:18:59 2019view thread

Drifting or Driving ?

By geemickey11/12/2019 09:38Wed Dec 11 09:38:46 2019

Views: 918

I repeat :

Optimism is all well & good but sometimes facts need to be faced -is it the players, the manager, the tactics or luck ?

If it's the players, maybe it comes down to money, but I doubt that because the players have turned in some very good performances this season so are capable. Maybe confidence or concentration come into the question ?

The Manager has shown himself to have talent so maybe he is just on a very unlucky run (several games have been narrowly lost).

Sometimes the tactics have to be suited to the players available. Now with a big target centre forward high crosses may pay off for Borough. Bobby Smith needed Jimmy Greaves, Toshak needed Keegan etc. If either was missing it probably wouldn't have worked.

Luck - usually evens out over a season. Borough must be due a change about now, whether with officials or just in the run of the ball. It would undoubtedly do them the world of good.

Whatever it is, Borough obviously need to start picking up points rapidly - although personally I don't believe relegation would be a disaster. They would probably be a winning team in lower division and possibly enjoy bigger gates as a result, but let's hope the theory is not tested !

Good Luck Saturday - and thereafter.

Edited by geemickey at 09:40:50 on 11th December 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Drifting or Driving ?

By RedHarrow (harrowred)11/12/2019 11:14Wed Dec 11 11:14:23 2019In response to Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 854

Good input Geemickey.

I think at times there’s been some bad luck for us.

There’s also been some lack of concentration and composure in games. 2-0 up to lose 3-2 with 20 to go shows that.

We have been competitive in lots of games but we’re truly missing that firepower from recent seasons; Meite, Moss, Kearney.

Injuries have also played a part. I would like to see a settled backlone. We are always more likely to score with Moore higher up the wing. We do need to start keeping clean sheets and making sure we take some chances.

I’d love to see a team of;

Al Droubi
Andrews Pepera Preddie Haugh
Moore Ireland Cole Bryan
Charles-Smith O’Connor

Get a solid run of 4-5 games after Xmas. With Keita, Fenton, Scott, Williams, Ive, Muhemba and Donnellan as options from the bench.

By Terry11/12/2019 16:17Wed Dec 11 16:17:06 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 872

Hello Red Harrow.
Yes Gee-Mickey and yourself putting it across well the current situation.
I cant agree with your choice of keeper but when you read the players we have more than enough talent when everyone is fit and firing to having fears on the "R" front.
As for Luck l think most on the forum know my view
I will quote Mr Gary Player One More Time.
"The Harder You Work The Luckier You Get"
Im sure this is just a dip in form.
Lets keep it 4-4-2
3points please at Gosport!!!!!

Edited by Terry at 16:17:30 on 11th December 2019

By geemickey11/12/2019 18:39Wed Dec 11 18:39:24 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 997

You seem to be saying that with a different 'keeper and harder work in practise the problems would be solved.
I'm not so sure - you already have an excellent 'keeper and presumably the Manager makes sure he doesn't select any players who are not putting their backs into training.

Some of the laziest people I have known have been very lucky - there's no logic to it !

You may not win at Gosport, but a 4-4 draw at home to lowly Dorchester suggests they are fragile.
Your players need to believe this. Confidence and concentration are big influences at this level.

One of these days a club will try a 2-3-5 formation, a big centre half will wear no. 5, the outside left will wear no.11
and opponents with a weak attack will not be able to cope with the onslaught from 5 lively (Harrow ?) forwards !

I'm looking forward to seeing your result Saturday. Good Luck.

By Terry12/12/2019 05:51Thu Dec 12 05:51:38 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 869

Hello Gee-Mickey.Yes about training the most important thing is getting the basics right.
Shooting
Passing
Crossing
Then the rest is should be easy.Every player can Kick Sorry l mean tackle!
Motivation should never be a problem as Steve our manager l can tell is passionate about the game.
I Would go 4-4-2 every game.
Just keep things simple and with good coaching and Hard Work results will follow.
Saturday is simple take the game to Gosport they are only average play without fear and bring those 3 points home!!!

By geemickey12/12/2019 07:27Thu Dec 12 07:27:57 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 958

You disappoint me Terry - I thought you'd like my suggested 'new' (!) formation & numbering system.

By Terry12/12/2019 09:19Thu Dec 12 09:19:16 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 1135

Please spare us the "Fakeness" of so called professional football with Squad numbers and names on their backs.
Numbers 1-11 please will do fine.
God preserve us fom VAR and some stupid piece of music when we score!
Formation 4-4-2 keep it simple Gee-Mickey l will explain
1 Goalkeeper that can keep clean sheats.
2-3 Full backs who can tackle.
4-5 Centre Backs who can defend.
6 Someone in midfield who can pass+ Take Free Kicks.
7 Someone who can kick.l mean tackle of course!
8+9 2 Players who know where the back of the net is.
10+11 2 Players on the Wing to Provide Crosses and who can drop into midfield and defend when we havent got the ball. Really its as simple as that!

By Whispering Minotaur12/12/2019 10:42Thu Dec 12 10:42:05 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 1025

Where did GeeMickey say anything about squad numbers? Re-read his post. He was referring to the long gone days of 2-3-5 formations that were popular 50+ years ago and the shirt numbers worn by different positions.

I love the way you talk about getting training right and talking about motivation. I don't think I have ever seen you talk about the ability of players, other than your regular keeper who you clearly have issues with.

I predict a 3-1 win to Gosport this weekend - they are going well on the fringes of the play-off race. Hendon's game at Poole will be postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

By Terry12/12/2019 11:21Thu Dec 12 11:21:17 2019In response to Re: Drifting or Driving ?Top of thread

Views: 1104

Thanks Whispering l give Gee-Mickey a sincere apology but l have seen some nonleague teams now adopting squad numbers trying to copy the so called pros.
No thanks give me tradition any time.
The issue with our regular Keeper is he cant keep a clean sheet.Thats a big issue.
All players at our Level can play the game to a good standard.
But they need to work hard to improve and have right attitude when they take the pitch.
If l was a manager l would never say negative things to players only offer encouragement to do better.Yes sometimes demand better but in a positive way.
I would never mention injuries refs or bad Luck they are excuses.
Gosport l believe
are very average and they will be further off the play off places on Saturday when we beat them 2-1.

Edited by Terry at 11:22:13 on 12th December 2019

Previous thread: Harrow Borough 1 Tiverton 5. by Terry7/12/2019 17:36Sat Dec 7 17:36:12 2019view thread