ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Three Southern League South matches postponed on … by Middx WandererToday 20:49Today at 20:49:41view thread

Oldest article: BBC Non League Show by Town Colours25/7/2012 20:58Wed Jul 25 20:58:44 2012view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Full List of First Team Managers by Middx Wanderer4/8/2015 10:37Tue Aug 4 10:37:26 2015view thread

oldest Photo of Earlsmead

By Middx Wanderer12/7/2015 12:53Sun Jul 12 12:53:41 2015

Views: 1695

Taken in 1938 , The old Main stand, which was of course the New Main Stand then, can be seen. The Pavilion is on the far side roughly where the tea bar is today.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw060180

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: oldest Photo of Earlsmead

By TOWN COLOURS13/7/2015 11:47Mon Jul 13 11:47:57 2015In response to oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1575

Very nostalgic . Shame the picture is taken so far away from the ground. What the picture does show is what a massive plot the club used to own. The tea bar from memory used to be the old changing rooms. The pavilion was around where the covered terracing starts on the far side - again from memory. Wonder if there are any more pics of the old ground - maybe in vintage Harrow Observer issues?

By harrowexcile15/7/2015 12:04Wed Jul 15 12:04:36 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1582

I am a new contributor to this forum. Although I haven't seen these pictures, the text brings back memories of what the ground used to look like. I moved to Swindon in 1969 but still follow the fortunes (?) of the team. I used to live on the corner of Carlyon Ave. and Earlsmead so it was only natural that I supported the team. The ground was certainly a large site with 2 football pitches and a cricket table in between. I was a member of the social side in the Earlsmead Social Club and played cricket, snooker and darts there. I haven't been back since so I expect I wouldn't recognise the place now.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Middx Wanderer16/7/2015 13:53Thu Jul 16 13:53:47 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1573

It has certainly changed a lot since 1969. .Most of those changes were when the ground was redeveloped in the 1970 's. The old main stand survived for another 20 years before being replaced.

By TOWN COLOURS15/7/2015 21:28Wed Jul 15 21:28:40 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1532

Welcome Harrowexcile - from what you have said it is about time you returned . So much has changed as I am sure you must be aware. For instance the clubhouse is substantially larger than the one you used to frequent. If you lived where you have mentioned ie not the one backing onto the club driveway - you will probably be more amazed at the changes to the house. When you left the club was one of the worst in non league football - and nearly went out of existence. You will no doubt have noticed our struggles in more recent times but the club is now well established in senior non league football. Let the forum know if you intend to revisit the ground whereupon we will arrange to give you a guided tour accordingly.

By harrowexcile17/7/2015 20:13Fri Jul 17 20:13:46 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1576

Town Colours

Thanks for the welcome to this forum, and also for the offer of showing me around the ground. Unfortunately, we no longer have relatives in the Harrow area, so I'm unlikely to make a visit. Should this change I'll certainly make notification on this forum. In the meantime, I'll continue to keep in touch with events via the website. With reference to the clubhouse, I'm sure that it was an old RAF hut and was positioned along the side opposite the main stand. Some months ago I located my old house on Google Maps, although the house number appeared to have been changed. I think in those days the team played in the Spartan League as Harrow Town. The strip was red and white striped shirts with black shorts. At one time they had 4 brothers in the team (Peake brothers) and later had a prolific goal scorer Pete Lavers. I could reminisce for ages but would probably run of room on this forum.

By TOWN COLOURS21/7/2015 21:09Tue Jul 21 21:09:09 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1476

Harrowexcile. We had a couple of pretty successful seasons with Pete Lavers at centre forward. He is still our record goal scorer when it comes to goals per game. Assume min 20 games to qualify. Him leaving with the majority of that team - was in the Athenian League - almost saw the demise of the club. Pete Lavers left and eventually partnered Chris Kelly up front at Leatherhead. He is still my favourite Harrow centre forward - although to be fair the opposition in Athenian Div 2 was not that good. Div 1 once we were promoted was much better.However when he was at Leatherhead they nearly caused an upset against Leicester City in the FA Cup. Guess that proves he could hack it in a high standard. Of course as time went on and the name was changed to "Boro" the club at one time was one of the best non league clubs in the country. The club sensibly declined to go into the Conference ie Div 5 when it won the Isthmian League. The previous year it got to the semi final of the FA Trophy. Re your house - if it is the one I think it is - is now flats including single storey to the side.

By harrowexcile22/7/2015 20:13Wed Jul 22 20:13:29 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1494

Town Colours

It would appear that you have been following the Town/Borough as long as I have. I heard on a visit some years ago that we'd had a very successful season, winning the league by a considerable margin and that we could have won promotion to the Conference. Sadly, I have seen the decline in the club's fortunes over the past few years, but having made an improvement over the last few weeks of the season under the new manager does bring hope for next season. In one of my previous postings I mentioned about brothers in the Town squad. Did we ever have brothers by the name of Willis playing for us? I saw a picture of my old house on Google Maps and thought, by the number of wheelie bins outside the property that in had been turned into flats. We used to have a number of fruit trees in the garden. So sad to see that it's now in a poor state.

By TOWN COLOURS22/7/2015 20:40Wed Jul 22 20:40:54 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1477

Harrowexcile.

My grandfather first took me to a match aged 5 - in 1958. My mother and father also first met at the social club.
Cannot recall Willis brothers although my memory is pretty hopeless remembering some players. Can remember a player called John Willis. The main sponsor of the club is now Willis Motors - no relation as far as I know. We did have the Townsend brothers - one played in goal - and the other at centre forward. Bringing back memories of the old ground you will probably remember the gymnasium and the tennis courts to the side. The gym was in a terrible state of repair when demolished. Also are you able to remember the raffle ticket seller on the gate shouting "5 for a bob"?

By harrowexcile25/7/2015 16:27Sat Jul 25 16:27:09 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1535

Town Colours

I have probably got it wrong in thinking that there were two Willis brothers playing for the Town. I don't remember the Townsend brothers, either centre forward or goalkeeper. Talking of goalkeepers, I was trying to remember how many I knew who played for us. I could only come up with George Wood (didn't he also play for the Stones), George Westgarth, Ken Burgin, Peter Rhodes, Eamon Hogan, Bernie Reeves (who became manager) and 'Knocker' White (mainly played for the reserves). I cannot remember the raffle seller you refer to. Here's a test. How many manager's names can you recall?

By TOWN COLOURS4/8/2015 21:28Tue Aug 4 21:28:59 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1439

Harrowexcile. Middlesex Wanderer has kindly given list of managers. Re goalkeepers . Knocker White was a neighbour of mine in the 90s - understand he moved to Buckingham area early 2000. Really decent chap. You may be able to remember Terry Self and Peter Aldridge? I have tried to rack my brain as to who played in goal when we had our good Town Athenian team. The team was great at going forward but the goalkeeper was prone to the odd error against good teams. I remember we lost to Carsharlton 1-5 at home and Barnet by a similar score. Re managers - Roy Churchill used to be a neighbour of my grandfather and his nephew is a keen Boro fan.

By Middx Wanderer20/7/2015 15:02Mon Jul 20 15:02:16 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1603

Harrow Exile

The Peake brothers were Fred , Ray, Jim & the other one i believe has the inital L , do you remember his name ?

Peter Lavers still lives locally , he had been involved with Harrow St Marys FC for a number of years.

You are correct about the kit worn in the late 50 & early 60's too.

By harrowexcile21/7/2015 10:56Tue Jul 21 10:56:19 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1500

Middx Wanderer

You must be a follower of the Borough (or Town) for as long as myself (who should be 'Exile' - I cannot spell). I didn't think there would be many of us left. The 4th Peake brother was Les. Was this the era of captain Stan Robinson, Albert Woodhouse (at the old position of wing half) and Ron King at centre half. Do you remember the Aldridge brothers, Don and Ken (Chubby), locals Kenny Gee (who beat me in the club snooker competition) and a young lad Brian (Butch) Wakefield at left back? I can remember playing against Harrow St Marys in my youth in the Harrow and District league. Ah, happy memories!!!!

By Middx Wanderer21/7/2015 11:19Tue Jul 21 11:19:38 2015In response to Re: oldest Photo of EarlsmeadTop of thread

Views: 1561

I only (?) starting watching Boro in 1971 , Town Colours started watching in the days of stripes. I am collating a full history of the club , so was missing the name of the other Peake. Kenny Gee still lives locally & attends games some times. A few years ago Kenny lent me a couple of handbooks from the late 50's , they didnt scan very well , but I think they might well interest you , drop an email to harrowboro@gmail.com They feature pictures some of those players you mentioned.

Previous thread: Don't arrange any friendly matches against Barnet by cappers21/7/2015 16:31Tue Jul 21 16:31:18 2015view thread