Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Merthyr v Boro Preview. by Terry8/3/2019 15:16Fri Mar 8 15:16:46 2019view thread

Boros Promotion Rivals

By Terry3/3/2019 01:22Sun Mar 3 01:22:00 2019

Views: 928

With 2 months to go lm giving my exclusive guide to our Promotion Rivals! 1 Poole Town.Play good football but lm doubting when the chips are down have they got what it takes they collapsed 4-0 to us recently. 2 Kings Langley a village near Watford never been any where this Level before and lm expecting them to fold with the pressure.3 Farnbourgh their bubble seems to have burst recently maybe feeling the pressure. 4 Merthyr seem the same as Farnborough with the pressure maybe their thoughts have turned to Wales Grand Slam Bid! 5 Swindon Supermarine Looked well organised when they beat us recently and even they are off the pace points wise l secretly fear them a bit.But the bottom Line our guys perform as they can we are the 5th best team easily! Come On You Reds!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Boros Promotion Rivals

By Fixtures Direct4/3/2019 10:04Mon Mar 4 10:04:57 2019In response to Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 1027

Terry, I wish you stopped getting excited by the prospect of promotion. The stench of soiled underpants in the boardroom is already unbearable!. Anyway let me throw this into the mix. The Met Police have had a wonderful season and reached the First round proper of the FA Cup where we got knocked out at first attempt, they are 6 points clear o us with games in hand but they are a young squad and like us I do not think they have the financial resources to significantly bolster their squad and, they are perhaps just beginning a bit of a bad run that the likes of us, Kings Langley and Poole have already experienced , so maybe were fighting for the 2 play off spots.

By Terry4/3/2019 16:34Mon Mar 4 16:34:26 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 908

Always nice to hear from you Fixtures Direct with your unique take on things! I think Met Police will defo be above us they play good football and so l think its all about 5th.Im not doubting Poole or Kings Langley football ability but their bottle when the chips are down.Poole collasped 4-0 to us recently and when we went 2up they threw in the towel.Kings Langley Lost a 96th minute goal to Salisbury in a vital game and have never been nowhere this Level in their history so lm expecting them to buckle under the pressure.Farnborough and Merthyr are dropping points all over the place and as l wrote Swindon Supermarine are the dark horses they impressed me a Lot when they outplayed us at Earlsmead and l fear they may go on a run.But were going for the treble! Middx Senior Cup London Senior Cup and of Course Promotion! #Always Optmistic!

By geemickey6/3/2019 19:32Wed Mar 6 19:32:59 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 825

Does anyone know if King's Langley want or would accept promotion ?

Their ground may need uprating, which could be costly.

If Harrow Borough can't afford promotion then maybe others (eg. Met Police ?) are in a similar position ?

Never mind, a place in the playoffs would be exciting - and the Borough could be back in the Isthmian league next season anyway, perhaps along with Hendon.

By Terry6/3/2019 21:00Wed Mar 6 21:00:05 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 1212

In reply to Geemickey We want promotion absolutely and we will sort Earlsmead out to the required standard no doubt as in the past with some of the fans helping.As for Kings Langley situation as Middlesex Wanderer said no doubt Like us they would sort it.But l dont fancy them or Poole to be honest as l have stated before when the chips are down l expecting them to fade.Its in our hands and lm backing our guys to get 5th and promotion.Since 1979 when we got promotion to the Istmian premier except for a handful of seasons it was a constant battle and fight just to retain our status.Make no mistake when we get promotion you will see these same qualities again.Come On You Reds!

By Middx Wanderer6/3/2019 19:50Wed Mar 6 19:50:58 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 839

Staines will be back in the Isthmian league next season, I guess Hendon have a chance to go back via the same route. I cannot see muh chance of us getting switched back this summer.

I am sure if Kings Langley win the play off they will go up & worry about it when they get there. East Thurrock went up with a ground that wasn't really up go scratch for level three but they are still there , I wonder how much work has been done on the ground since we last visited

By geemickey7/3/2019 10:01Thu Mar 7 10:01:54 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 789

With any luck, Chesham will help the cause by beating Poole Town on Saturday !

By harrowexcile7/3/2019 10:51Thu Mar 7 10:51:25 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 776

Hi all,

I love Terry's positive attitude to our promotion challenge. Having lived next door to Earlsmead, and being a member of the social club, before moving to Swindon over fifty years ago there is nothing I'd like more than to see the Borough get promoted this season. Please Reds do it for me!!!!

Tony

By Terry7/3/2019 11:04Thu Mar 7 11:04:28 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 1002

Thank you Harrowexcile thats very kind of you.l Live just over the border here in South Ruislip and l saw my first game in 1975! And just for a Lapsed period from 89 to 95 when business commitments etc took over l have followed Boro for 44 years or so.Wow!Such a joy non League football to be close to the action and really feel part of it.lm playing a few mind games with our rivals Poole and Kings Langley but its mostly meant in a Light hearted way(l hope!) But we will never get a better chance than this for promotion so really a fantastic chance for players management and yes us fans to work together and make it happen! Come On You Reds!

By harrowexcile7/3/2019 13:00Thu Mar 7 13:00:15 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 889

Hi Terry,

Pleased to hear that you are another long-term supporter (I thought I was one of the few left). I expect that we both remember some of the players from Harrow Town days (when they used to play in red and white stripes). Among those that come to mind are Stan Robinson (captain), Albert Woodhouse, Ron King, the Aldridge brothers, the four Peake brothers and Kenny Gee (I played against him in the club snooker tournament). I expect that between the two of us we could keep this thread going for ages!!!!

Tony

By Terry7/3/2019 13:43Thu Mar 7 13:43:50 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 930

I forgot l must also mention Adam Everitt who would go in hard and risk a kick getting the ball.So my top 5 favourite players of Harrow Boro would be the following its a trip down memory Lane folks! 1 Frank Seward just so very skillfull with close control of the ball and could score wonder goals! 2 Wayne Walters who l admire a Lot would never pull out a challenge and was probably our best ever Leader on the pitch. 3 George Duck was just outstanding it didnt matter a jot he was ex Wealdstone he was just immense when he played for us. 4 John Cerasoli he was just brilliant a natural goalscorer that promotion season way back. 5 Harry Manoe would get stuck in and Let team mates know if they werent doing enough! Some great players there.

By Terry7/3/2019 13:19Thu Mar 7 13:19:04 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 908

Hello Tony Harrowexcile.Your just very slightly before my time the players you mention The first players l can remember would be John Cerasoli my dads favourite player Les Currell Bobby Bennett Eddie Stein Harry Manoe George Lidster and my favourite back then Frank Seward who l remember l think scored a great goal against Wealdstone in a cup match we won 3-0 Frank had so much ability but Like me was a bit Laid back(Not Lazy!) If l had to name Harrow Boros best ever player it would be George Duck he was just outstanding and the team rose a Level confidence wise when he joined us and David Howell also was outstanding so maybe a dead heat as we say in racing! Frank Seward as l mentioned was my fav player but 3 others also Harry Manoe George Lidster and Wayne Walters would Literally go in and take a kick and risk injury for the cause.Some great memories there l hope!

By harrowexcile7/3/2019 13:38Thu Mar 7 13:38:32 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 808

Hi again Terry,

I recognise some of the names you have mentioned, but only as managers of the team - I don't think I actually saw them play. My vote for Town's best player ever goes to Pete Lavers. He was quite a prolific goalscorer. Any other contributors have a fovourite player?

Tony

By Terry7/3/2019 13:57Thu Mar 7 13:57:33 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 776

Hi Tony threre is one other player l barely remember Billy Gill who was really good for a season or so Some great memories!

By harrowexcile7/3/2019 14:22Thu Mar 7 14:22:25 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 793

Hi Terry,

Do you think we'd get much response if we started a new thread entitled 'My favourite Harrow Town/Borough player'. This might make you laugh. Some years ago when we had a manager by the name of Loftus-Tottenham there was a story going around that he had managed to sign somebody from the Hungarian national side (how, I don't know). Anyway, it turned out that the translation of this player's name into English was 'Smith'. It certainly had us going for a while!!!

Tony

By Terry7/3/2019 14:34Thu Mar 7 14:34:27 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 918

Yes Tony l think a good thread that on Boros favourite player.There are so many! Frank Sewards mine but as l mentioned its very close between him and Wayne Walters it really is.There certainly Lots of candadiates to vote on.As for the present team they are all stars! I suppose Anthony O'Connor has a bit of the Frank Seward the way he takes players on and Mark Mcleod can get stuck in Aka Wayne Walters or Harry Manoe! I wonder who would get the most nominations from forum Land!

By geemickey7/3/2019 15:30Thu Mar 7 15:30:27 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 851

Presumably the Board has an estimate of what costs would be involved if Earlsmead needs uprating for Conf South and what the likely wages cost increase is likely to be ? Probably both daunting numbers.

However, I suspect travelling costs/mileages may be slightly lower in Conf South and undoubtedly gate receipts would be significantly improved with games against Wealdstone, Hemel, St Albans, Slough, Woking, Dulwich etc and possibly Aldershot & even Barnet (if things go wrong there). It's all exciting stuff.

My feeling is that this season, with the Southern Lge at its weakest for some time, presents Harrow with a golden opportunity to step up a level.

There are only two tasks ahead of them now :

1. Qualify for the playoffs and
2. Win them !!!

It won't be easy but it is possible.

Edited by geemickey at 15:31:18 on 7th March 2019

By Fixtures Direct7/3/2019 22:36Thu Mar 7 22:36:05 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 761

Yes M Gee the board knows exactly what is required financially, that is why we are 'kacking it'. The lowest budget in National South is nearly 3 times more than we pay. Not to talk about the extra administration work, and stewarding. I agree we may get better crowds but Middlesex Wanderer promised we would get attendances in the Southern League and that has not happened. There is no point being in existence if you don't want to be successful but it would bring its problems. A successful cup run every year would help, but it does not work like that. If Terry or someone else can come up with £200,000 we might have a chance of surviving a season at the higher level.
I don't want to spoil everyone's dreams , but we have to deal with the reality of it all.

By Terry7/3/2019 23:49Thu Mar 7 23:49:14 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 933

Hello Fixtures Direct well in that case we need up to up our game.Market the club better to get more fans get the ground sponsored maybe find additional investors to come on to the board that kind of thing.It wont come knocking you have to go out and find it.But success breads success.It takes hard work and determination and a positive attitude.l started a business in 1989 from scratch and within 2 years had 30 employees and a very good turnover.l think it would be a great to play in National South and one lm sure all us Loyal fans would relish.

By Fixtures Direct8/3/2019 00:37Fri Mar 8 00:37:29 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 744

Cheers Terry, up our game! your having a laugh! The VP,s (a group of about 20) raise £30,000 a year which I think is remarkable , our commercial Director has contacted every local business and had some success. The main problem is that we are in the middle of a housing estate where the residents do not watch football and they do not drink.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)8/3/2019 11:54Fri Mar 8 11:54:13 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 737

I agree I think the club do very well to keep going and raise enough money to stay afloat whilst also doing well in the league. Of course this can always be improved, everything can but it's true that the local demographic isn't to our benefit. I'm sure there are local residents who could be attained to come but with little disposable income for locals, not much exposure in the borough (local media is not good), a unfavourable location (I love the ground) which would be better if was by a main road where trains and buses constantly were going past and few community links then we will always struggle to pull in crowds. I often see James from Non League Day saying he thinks we could do more and has offered some advice.

We also struggle that we have Watford, Barnet, Qpr, Brentford, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Fulham nearby. Wealdstone too of course but where they gain the advantage is through their youth system. God knows how many teams they have between the ages of u6-u18. That gets their name out there, one of the most popular youth teams in the Harrow leagues. We have nothing similar which could in theory attract more youngsters to come and watch with parents. Imagine having just one team at each age group from u6-u18. On average about 12 children per team, that would be 144 kids. If you gave each of them a free season ticket and 10% came regularly with a parent, that would be on average another 30 people at each match. It all adds up. Of course this would take some doing with lots of volunteers needed to manage this side of the club but it can also be extra revenue with registration fees and the sort. Some clubs in the harrow youth league charge as much as £450 a year which gets them kit, training and the chance to play matches.

Anyway if we went up I agree that travelling could be less and gate receipts higher and whilst yes our budget would be much lower than anyone else's, that doesn't always matter. The most money normally gets you the best players but doesn't always give you the best team.

By Terry8/3/2019 15:01Fri Mar 8 15:01:11 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 766

Yes some very good points Harrowred about youth teams and trying to get the Local community involved.l can remember back in the early to mid eighties our glory years sort of 300-350 was usually the max except for matches v Wealdstone and of course Telford.When we get promotion The Board need to draw up a Masterplan so we can have a shot at competiting at National South Level.If need be they should have a meeting with some of us fans and Listen to our input.

By Terry8/3/2019 06:36Fri Mar 8 06:36:54 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 935

Hello Fixtures Direct I Like a Laugh and the Craic being Irish! Londons a big place always opportunities to get investors on board.What about the City some companies there.We need to reach out more in regard to getting fans.We have Lots of East Europeans and Asians and Afro Caribeans and yes The Irish too Living in Harrow yet rarely do you see them at the match.So Lots to work on.You get a chance of promotion you take it with both hands and work 24/7 to make it succeed thats my view.But thanks for giving this insight in regard figures etc.

By Terry7/3/2019 15:40Thu Mar 7 15:40:33 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 939

Yes agreed there GeeMickey but maybe with crowds increasing and a higher profile dare l say a sponsor for the ground though that maybe heresy for some fans but many challenges as you say but lm sure with us Loyal fans there it can be overcome.Just to play The Old Enemy Wealdstone again would be fantastic.Promotion will be great but we are going to win The Middlesex Senior Cup too!

By cappers7/3/2019 16:25Thu Mar 7 16:25:36 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 887

First of all, I'd just like to comment on how pleasing it is to see our forum so active. Arguably, we have one of the most active forums in the whole division which is no mean feat considering how low our average attendance is. Well done everyone. Keep posting!

To give you a bit of background information, I believe my first Boro game was in 1999 against Walton & Hersham at home. I was in my early teens. I left the UK in December 2011 and have only been to one Boro game since then. During my time watching Boro (1999-2011) I'd say my favourite players were:

Richard Goddard - A mountain of a defender and I think he played as a striker as well sometimes although I may be wrong. When the ball came near him in the air, he'd shout "Dickies" and I think everyone in the ground and beyond could hear his call.

Wayne Walters - Long serving club captain. Legend!

Rocky Baptiste - I wasn't sure what he would offer us at his age but he did really well and had a real knack of scoring. Was of course part of the succesful team that reached the play-offs and got to the first round of the FA Cup in the same season.

In terms of promotion to the National South (or North - you never know with the FA!) my main issue with it is that we surely won't be able to progress any further (i.e National Premier) due to ground grading restrictions. Surely the enjoyment factor of football is knowing that the reward for winning a particular league or play-off is that you will get promoted to a higher level. I'm not for one minute suggesting that if we were to go up, we would be pushing for promotion but lets just say we did somehow manage to do really well (bear in mind 7th gets you a play-off spot) we would have to give up our playoff spot to the team below us. In the 16-17 season both Poole and Hungerford had to give up their play-off spots and look at them now. Poole are in our division and Hungerford are in the relegation zone in the National South. If they had been allowed to compete in the play-offs and get promoted who knows where they would be now,

As I mentioned earlier I don't live in the UK but if I did I certainly wouldn't want to move back to the Isthmian (assuming we don't go up). We've adapted well to life in the Southern League and from a fans point of view the towns and cities on offer are far nicer to visit as an away fan in this league than what is on offer in the Isthmian Premier. Also the standard of football currently in the Southern Prem South may be lower than the Isthmian Prem but that is up for debate. However, as I don't go to matches it doesn't bother me too much as to whether we are in the Southern or Isthmian leagues.

By Terry7/3/2019 16:43Thu Mar 7 16:43:51 2019In response to Re: Boros Promotion RivalsTop of thread

Views: 808

Hello Cappers yes its great to be active on this forum l eat drink and sleep Harrow Boro.Richard Goddard was a superb player and had a fantastic partnership with Dean Marney.So many great players weve had! As for promotion we will in it and its only natural justice for the ground grading to be allowed to be acheived.The Isthmian League may be a touch higher standard but us fans are enjoying some great trips Dorchester being the highlight followed by Farnborough Beaconsfield and not forgetting Staines!

Previous thread: Taunton Highlights and manager Interview by Fixtures Direct7/3/2019 10:57Thu Mar 7 10:57:58 2019view thread