Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Next Season by Middx WandererToday 13:00Today at 13:00:01view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time. by Terry11/3/2019 11:53Mon Mar 11 11:53:32 2019view thread

Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All Time

By Terry7/3/2019 18:37Thu Mar 7 18:37:59 2019

Views: 1414

Myself and Harrowexcile have been taking a trip down memory Lane today and we are inviting anyone on forum Land to name a Favourite player from this era or in the past.l named Frank Seward the mercurial winger of the 1970s who scored a great goal in cup match against Wealdstone in 1977 and its still the best goal lve seen at Earlsmead.But Wayne Walters was a very close second! So Lets have some names if poss!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All Time

By harrowred (RedHarrow)11/3/2019 11:16Mon Mar 11 11:16:51 2019In response to Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1271

I started coming to Earlsmead regularly from about 2004/5 when I could get in for a quid. I had come to a few games in the 90s as a youngster when there were friendlies v qpr and Chelsea I think. My favourite players since then have been Danny Leech, Keita Karamoko, Albert Adomah and Kenta Nakashima. Soft spots too for Robin Shroot, Nick Jupp and Ryan Watts.

By Terry11/3/2019 11:34Mon Mar 11 11:34:20 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1266

Hello Harrowred lm glad you mentioned Danny Leech because he wasnt far awy from my all time Xl. He was similiar to Wayne Walters who he had a very good centre back partnership with.He would go in hard with tackles and very good in the air.Like Wayne he would go in where it hurts and l remember once he took a kick in the head scoring a vital goal from a corner in our of our all too many relegation match battles.As many of poss of us get to Hartley Witney on Saturday and Lets outnumber the home support! # Red Army! Come On You Reds!

By harrowexcile8/3/2019 11:31Fri Mar 8 11:31:59 2019In response to Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1322

Hi all (particularly Terry),

Many thanks for starting this thread for naming favourite player of all time. As I have mentioned before, my favourite player was Pete Lavers, who had an incredible knack for scoring goals. I'm sure that I have seen a stat where he was credited with over 40 goals in one season. I'm surprised that nobody else has mentioned him yet. Does this mean that he was before other contributors time, and I'm the oldest person on this forum!!!! This brings me to the point mentioned by others about the lack of support that Borough receive. In my day (all those years ago) their was a thriving social side to the football club where darts were played (in a local league), a club snooker competition held each year and cricket was played (obviously the pitch has now gone). Somebody mentioned to me at the Supermarine game down here in Swindon that there is hardly any interest shown from the streets surrounding the ground. What a great shame when the staff have raised their game over the past few months.

Tony

By TOWN COLOURS8/3/2019 21:25Fri Mar 8 21:25:13 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1285

Hello Tony.
Agree with you about Peter Lavers. He has the club record for scoring more goals per game than
Any other player. He only played for us for 2 seasons. I particularly remember a 9-3 win over the team that piped us for the Athenian Div 2 Championship. In that match from memory Pete scored 6 goals. It has to be said that the League was not that strong but after promotion the next level up was pretty good. Lavers was a great player and went on to play in a higher level for many years. I believe he was only a teenager when he first played for us. Other players in that team included Terry Wood, Frank Fondyke , Mickley Angel , Dave Timberland and Butch Wakefield. Also Mick McCaffery who was a tenacious midfielder. After leaving he came back to the club some years later in the twilight of his career. The goalkeeper was Sid Hobbs who generally had little to do. Sadly the whole team left at the end of the season in Div 1, moving elsewhere with the manager Bernie Reeves . It all went downhill from there - nearly being disbanded. Luckily chairman at the time Charlie Gilliard had a casting vote to keep the club going.

By harrowexcile9/3/2019 11:33Sat Mar 9 11:33:44 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1260

Hi Town Colours,

Because I moved away from the area in 1966 a lot of players mentioned in this very interesting, and expanding, thread are only names to me. However, I remember Butch Wakefield, who played in the position we used to call left back. He was a real local lad who lived in Warwick Avenue, off Eastcote Lane, and his father (I think his name was Alf) used to run a youth team called Warwick Rovers. Did he move onto Wealdstone? I know a few players did.

Tony

By Terry8/3/2019 21:47Fri Mar 8 21:47:26 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1301

Hello Town Colours thank you for that wonderful history of Harrow Town/Boro just before my time some of those names.But l do remember Charles Gilliard very well.Wonderful fella who blow that horn every time we scored and when l was a kid going on the coach to away games with Dad he would always get a sing song going.I never knew about that story you mention so all us fans owe him a very great debt.l started supported Boro when l was 7 Dad took me in 1975 and l think l recall correctly The New Floodlights were just installed and ground upgraded and we had just joined The Isthmian League and l think George Taylor was manager.

By Middx Wanderer8/3/2019 15:08Fri Mar 8 15:08:34 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1294

I believe Peter Lavers scored over 90 goals in the two seasons he played for Harrow, an incredible record. He passed away a couple of years ago, his funeral was on a friday the day before we played at Leatherhead, which was the club where he probably had his finest moment playing against Leicester in the FA Cup.
Both of his sons attended the game at Leatherhead as did a numbelr of their ex players.

On another thread you mentioned Kenny Gee. He was a regular at Earlsmead right up untill he died suddenly at a similar time. Along with a number of others from the club I attened his funeral.
A while back he lent me some some Harrow handbooks from the 1950's which i scanned. (Tony, if you want to see them send an email to [email protected])

By Terry8/3/2019 11:47Fri Mar 8 11:47:47 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1408

Hi Tony thats ok lm really enjoying this trip down memory Lane.You may well be the Longest serving fan. Dad and l go back to 1975 and lread in the programme recently that Simon Grigpr l think 1970 he started following Boro so you could we be the Longest! Im not sure when Jim and Peter Rodgers got involved so no doubt someone can say.l would have loved to see Pete Lavers play l suppose the closet to that record was Peter Sharratt got somewhere near 40 goals in 1981 when we won the Isthmian League but didnt take the step to the Conference.But this forum is an absolute pleasure to be on with friendly and yes some robust and constructive points to help move Harrow Boro forward.

By Middx Wanderer8/3/2019 10:58Fri Mar 8 10:58:51 2019In response to Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1565

Anyone who had the pleasure to follow Boro between 1982 & 1984 will not have to look any further for their all time favourites, as that team was by far the best in the club's history. David Howell, George Duck, Harry Manoe, Steve Jones, Andy Pape would all be in my all time team.

Gary Gilbert , Frankie Seward & John Cerasoli from the era before we were promoted.
Cliff Rapley, Les Currell, Chris Hutchins.

Or later Ross Fitzsimon, Lee Endersby, Mark Xavior, Pat Gavin & Dave Clarke would have chance before considering 2011 play off side.

By Terry8/3/2019 11:37Fri Mar 8 11:37:55 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1334

Hello Middlesex Wanderer yes l remember Gary Gilbert now thats right.Fairly big guy who had a fierce shot.My Dads favourite was John Cerasoli we got to know his father pretty well just by talking with him at the match and he was a great fella but we never asked his first name! John was superb just a natural goalscorer.But as l said Frank Seward was my fav.He would say hello to Dad and me from the wing just before kick off.People said he was Lazy off the ball but when he turned it on he was brill and that goal against Stones still the best lve seen at Earlsmead.

By Earlsmead part-timer8/3/2019 16:16Fri Mar 8 16:16:02 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1293

Me being a bit of a Johnny-come-lately compared to everybody else ( but I do remember watching the odd game for free from an upstairs window in my sister's first house in Arundel Drive back in the early 1980"s)
My favourites, not legends, in recent years are Lewis Driver (when his knees weren't playing up!) was always impressed with Fejiri Okenaberie and thought he would go on to greater things. Ibrahim Meite, won't forget forget him singlehandedly demolishing Dulwich away and of course most recently Dylan Kearney.
Best game the 4th qualifying round in Fa cup away to Margate. What a game!

By Terry8/3/2019 16:26Fri Mar 8 16:26:38 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1302

Thats fine Earlsmead Part timer some good names there.Lewis Driver a bit Like my fav Frank Seward not qiute as good but could produce a moment of magic from nowhere.lm really delighted myself and Harrowexcile thought this would be good as a forum piece to name some stars from yesteryear!

By harrowexcile8/3/2019 16:57Fri Mar 8 16:57:48 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1301

Hi Terry,

It looks as if our idea for this thread has really taken off. Let's hope it has a long run. So sad to hear that Kenny Gee passed away. He was a regular in the clubhouse. As I said previously I was drawn against him in the club snooker competition. Needless to say, I lost!!!!!

Tony

By Terry8/3/2019 18:31Fri Mar 8 18:31:46 2019In response to Re: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All TimeTop of thread

Views: 1307

Yes Tony this is excellent a forum such as this where we can talk all things Harrow Boro and who knows if players or Management or Board Members have a Look! They should because fans views are important and we are all keeping it on this forum positive and constructive and yes sometimes robust when we can see things that can be improved.As we say in racing we are just turning into the home straight now where its not all about football ability but bottle and who wants it the most.

Previous thread: The Top 5 Places by Terry9/3/2019 21:22Sat Mar 9 21:22:51 2019view thread