Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Kings Langley Match Off by Terry12/3/2019 15:28Tue Mar 12 15:28:46 2019view thread

My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.

By Terry11/3/2019 11:53Mon Mar 11 11:53:32 2019

Views: 1227

I promise this final trip down memory Lane.A couple of matches spring to mind our 2-0 win at Telford in the Fa Trophy semi 1st Leg 1983 and 3-0 v Wealdstone in 1977.But undoubtly my favourite was again against the Old enemy at their Lower Mead ground in 1981.It was a 3rd Qualifying Fa Cup tie and because we played in different leagues we hadnt won there since the 60s.The Stones chant of theres only 1 team in Harrow was ringing around the game before kick off and it was a fantastic atmosphere.Well we won 4-1 with 2 from George Duck and 1 from David Pearce and David Howell.A great win.But The Wealdstone fans couldnt take it and the match was held up after our goalie Les Currell was bombarded with flours and eggs from the so called home support at the cinema end.It was just so pathetic all those years when they were beating Boro (except for 1977)and when we humilated them they Lacked grace in defeat! That was a great day which l will never forget! End of Memory Lane!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.

By harrowexcile11/3/2019 15:18Mon Mar 11 15:18:19 2019In response to My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1128

Hi Terry,

I was only thinking yesterday what other thread could we start to take over from 'My Favourite Harrow Boro of all time'. We did have a good run on that didn't we? I think we should go into the field of PR. I fully expect some responses to this new thread.

Tony

By Terry11/3/2019 15:38Mon Mar 11 15:38:15 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1138

Tony l meant to ask do you have a favourite match from the past you could share with us on forum Land.

By harrowexcile11/3/2019 16:47Mon Mar 11 16:47:19 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1129

Hi Terry,

That's a little difficult. In all the time that I've been following the Borough (and also the fact that your memory starts to fail you over the years) I've never seen them involved in a match deciding promotion, reach the play-offs or win any cups, I cannot think of one particular match. However, watching them play whilst Peter Lavers was playing, and inevitably scoring, made those matches quite exciting. I can also say that I must have a 100% attendance record having never seen them lose in over 50 years!!!!!

Tony

By Terry11/3/2019 17:03Mon Mar 11 17:03:41 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1122

Wow thats impresseive Tony.l asked Dad about Pete Lavers but its was just before our time and lm old at 51! But dont feel it! Obviously the Athenian days.l can remember watching an Athenian League game at Ruislip.Manor in 1976.l wont do this as a thread but my favourite away trip l used to go with Dad as a kid from 1975 to 1980 to all away games on team coach was Harwich and Parkeston right on the Essex/Suffolk coast it took about flipping 3 hours but it was wonderful their ground right on the coast.And of course this year some great trips Dorchester Beaconnsfield Farnborough and not forgetting Staines!

By Terry11/3/2019 15:33Mon Mar 11 15:33:28 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1119

Cheers Tony we are wasted on here! Its fantastic this forum we can discuss not just match reports but all things Harrow Boro.Its. a very exciting time at the moment with this promotion battle.lm intending to go to every match from now on.l couldnt do Merthyr on Saturday as l had a prior engagement at Hillingdon Boro.lve decided even the journey time to Tiverton wont stop me! l just pray l dont run out of cash! Hopefully we will have a big support Saturday at Hartley Whitney and then is Gosport Boro Tiverton Town and Salisbury the away games and of course Brentford in that Final a bit more Local!

By Earlsmead part-timer11/3/2019 19:38Mon Mar 11 19:38:59 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1156

Thought I'd add my favourite Boro match so far.... ( who knows it might change by the end of this season....)
FA Cup 4th round qualifying replay away at Margate.
Not given a chance, but goals from Babalola, Driver and Meite and we completely out played the National League South side.
Good turnout from the fans for a Tuesday midweek, great night not only for the team and fans but also all the volunteers and people who do the work behind the scenes at the club.
Pity we didn't turn up for the 1st round proper at Northampton Town!

By Terry11/3/2019 19:45Mon Mar 11 19:45:46 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1125

Hello Earlsmead Part timer yes that was a great result to win at Margate and of course we knew if we won it was Northampton away.l remember going to Northampton and when we got off the coach for a non League fan just to see their fabulous stadium.Even though we Lost 6-0 the Northampton fans were very friendly in their club bar before the game and a good section of their West Stand at the end stayed to applaud our guys of the pitch.Top people their fans.

Edited by Terry at 19:50:10 on 11th March 2019

By Earlsmead part-timer11/3/2019 20:04Mon Mar 11 20:04:11 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1123

Yes Terry, as you say despite the result a good day out, it was great/amazing to see the away end there virtually packed out, full with Harrow fans.
Just imagine if only a quarter of those numbers turned up to the odd home game. Would certainly help out a bit on the financial side of things.

By Terry11/3/2019 20:45Mon Mar 11 20:45:57 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1098

Yes absolutely Earlsmead Part-Timer but lm afraid they are the Celebrity fans if you Like who cotton on to things when theres a big game such as Northampton or Chesterfield or in my day Telford when there was 2,500 l believe in Earlsmead.l dont know what a break even figure be in National South but lm guessing around 500-600 min.lf we ever got to the Conference or whatever they call I reckon 1000-1200 max is the number of fans we could get at the moment.When we get promotion it will be a huge challenge on and off the field.It may mean Stadium is put up naming rights sponsorship.and as l said to Fixtures Direct in an earlier post its not just about Local businesses but Look to approach some in the City of London.Youve got to be ambitious and a go getter to succeed.I found this in business youve got to get stuck in to get the contracts for work.In my case Painting and Decorating for my sins!

By Middx Wanderer12/3/2019 10:42Tue Mar 12 10:42:47 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1093

Favourite Victory
Possibly 4-1 at Wealdstone in 81. Dave Howells header at the Elmslie End, Fantastic.
That of course was an FA Cup 3rd Q tie, we lost at Hendon in the 4th Qualifying round thou.
Our Four 4th Qualifying round victories are also right up there.

83 beating Fisher Athletic in a replay, not our biggest ever attendance, but probably our biggest ever home support. Crowd must have been around a 1,000 with very little away support.

In 2000 Beating Enfield at home to set up a visit to Wycombe Wanderers a late goal & fantastic celebrations.

2010 a stunning win at Eastbourne Borough, Troy Hewitt hat trick. Loud vocal support that day too.

2014 a reply win at Margate in fine style & celebrated in similar style to the win against Enfield .

But my personal favourites are both from the 82-83 trophy run. A Dave Pearce double at Stafford in a 2nd replay v Barrow.
Or, the Quarter final victory over Enfield, who were top of the Conference National (or whatever it was called then) We Absolutely battered them 5-1 in probably the finest 90 minutes by a Harrow Borough team ever.

By Terry12/3/2019 10:56Tue Mar 12 10:56:49 2019In response to Re: My Favourite Harrow Boro Victory Of All Time.Top of thread

Views: 1155

Yes agreed Middlesex Wanderer that 5-1 against the then mighty Enfield was fantastic l was there with a schoolfriend Ian at the time as Dad was over in Kildare in Ireland with the family for something important.l recall about 3 years Later they took revenge on us and beat us 6-0 or 6-1 l think at Earlsmead.Before they went bust Enfield ruled Non League football for many years with their manager The Great Ted Hardy.So wonderful all these great memories!

Edited by Terry at 10:58:15 on 12th March 2019

Previous thread: Your Favourite Harrow Boro Player of All Time by Terry7/3/2019 18:37Thu Mar 7 18:37:59 2019view thread