Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Please note: this site will be unavailable between 4.30pm and 5.30pm on Wednesday 17 April due to routine maintenance

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Mitchal Gough by Earlsmead part-timer18/11/2019 12:05Mon Nov 18 12:05:46 2019view thread

Pivotal match ?

By geemickey8/11/2019 09:30Fri Nov 8 09:30:55 2019

Views: 1024

It seems to me that tomorrow's game v. Swindon Supermarine could prove pivotal to Borough's entire season.
Win and the faithful will be speculating about making the playoffs - but lose and the threat of relegation will loom again.
No doubt the players will be well aware of the importance of this game to the whole season and be giving 100%.
Which way will it go folks ?

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Pivotal match ?

By RedHarrow (harrowred)8/11/2019 13:20Fri Nov 8 13:20:04 2019In response to Pivotal match ?Top of thread

Views: 1041

Yep this is pretty pivotal in the fact we need to keep them close to us in the table. I believe we have 3 games after Swindon which I would favour us in so I think we can put the relegation worries on the back burner if we pick up some good results. However if our poor form continued then yes definitely a relegation fight for the rest of the season.

30 goals in Swindon’s last 9 games whilst there has been 25 in our last 9. That in itself tells you there will be goals. I’m going for a 2-2.

Boro to then pick up another 7 points from the following 3 games and put themselves lulling in midtable

By Terry8/11/2019 10:45Fri Nov 8 10:45:37 2019In response to Pivotal match ?Top of thread

Views: 904

A Boro win Defo!!!!
Although due to my job in a Bookmaker l cant make this one!
The vital thing is this.
We are the Home team we boss the game from the off.
Play with good tempo.
Show urgency and commitment.
We shant Leave the pitch without those 3 points.
Im saying 2-1 as we never keep a clean sheet!
We have easily got enough talented players to get to the top 5 we just need a bit of steel and fight when the going gets tough yes lm going to say it Hard Work and Determination.

By Middx Wanderer8/11/2019 15:48Fri Nov 8 15:48:57 2019In response to Re: Pivotal match ?Top of thread

Views: 1117

With our current Injury list, the team will almost pick its self.
Haugh, Bryan, Keita, O'Conner & Ireland all have knocks.

It's a important game , but with so few options it will be a tough challenge for The Boro.

By Terry8/11/2019 17:55Fri Nov 8 17:55:49 2019In response to Re: Pivotal match ?Top of thread

Views: 1070

Good test of character for our guys through adversity.
Im say 2-1 To Boro.
Come On You Reds!!!!!

3-2 defeat

By RedHarrow (harrowred)9/11/2019 17:53Sat Nov 9 17:53:22 2019In response to Re: Pivotal match ?Top of thread

Views: 935

Well well well, snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory having probably snatched victory out of the jaws of defeat.

Swindon looked most likely to open the scoring. Plenty of attack’s and corners but we managed to score two nice goals in the space of two minutes with 20 to go.

However conceding almost immediately was a killer. Swindon always looked threatening and we crumbled. Moore nearly got a point with his free kick but a really disappointing result in the end even though feeling like a loss was coming all game

Re: 3-2 defeat

By Terry9/11/2019 22:56Sat Nov 9 22:56:22 2019In response to 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 986

Thanks for that match summary Red Harrow invaluable as due to a work commitment l couldnt go today.
The problem is simple every game we cant keep a clean sheat so straight away your up against it.
I wll give my view again.
I think we should go for a new keeper someone who commands the box better and yes some tougher players not afraid to get stuck in middle of the park prepared to stop the opposition playing.
Yes do some fouling if need to be.
To me theres something badly wrong to be unable to keep a clean sheet.
I will quote Bill Shankly again you start from the back!

Edited by Terry at 22:56:49 on 9th November 2019
Edited by Terry at 22:57:23 on 9th November 2019

By RedHarrow (harrowred)10/11/2019 00:33Sun Nov 10 00:33:12 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 965

Al-Droubi not at fault for any of the goals. Also got a good hand to the penalty and was unlucky not to save it. I thought Chin Cole didn’t look at his best in the second half, the conditions not really in his favour. J Ireland came on at half time and was excellent.

Fenton did a foul to stop the opposition and gave away a penalty!!

By Terry10/11/2019 00:45Sun Nov 10 00:45:40 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 1024

Cheers Red Harrow.Well l would tell Fenton stop em outside the box!
I just dont think Al-Droubis clean sheet record is good enough thats my personal view!

By Earlsmead part-timer9/11/2019 21:26Sat Nov 9 21:26:28 2019In response to 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 964

Absolutely gutted after that .
Jeez what can you say ?

By Middx Wanderer10/11/2019 00:45Sun Nov 10 00:45:50 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 900

Disappointing to lose after being 2-0 up, but make no mistake our best player was our goalkeeper.

By Terry10/11/2019 19:00Sun Nov 10 19:00:52 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 992

In my most humble opinion on the question of getting a new Keeper.
Hafeeds record since August 2018 in the League.
103 conceded in 61 games lm sorry thats way too much in my view yes defenders must play a part to but for me that confirms my view.

Edited by Terry at 19:01:16 on 10th November 2019

By Geekay Clement16/11/2019 17:08Sat Nov 16 17:08:34 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 846

hE'S PROBABLY SAVED ANOTHER 100 I like him. Defence leaves him a sitting duck most of the time.

By Terry17/11/2019 08:55Sun Nov 17 08:55:39 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 713

Hi Geekay Clement.
I respect your view about Hafeed but if you Look at Farnboroughs goal yesterday on You Tube hes got to do better than that.
See the problem is this if you cant keep clean sheets you are on the back foot you must score at least min 2 to win.
I will be blunt l dont think his record is good enough and if l was Steve Baker l would go for another keeper.

By RedHarrow (harrowred)17/11/2019 15:27Sun Nov 17 15:27:03 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 656

Again very harsh in my opinion. Much could be said about the outfield players not closing down the shot at all. Seemed to be wrong footed.

Like last week V Swindon you dig him out but didn’t see the match. No goals his mistake and made some really good saves including some 1v1s which looked like certain goals. I just feel like you’ve made your mind up and want rid even if goals are not his fault

By Terry17/11/2019 16:09Sun Nov 17 16:09:49 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 663

Yes fair enough bur surely he should at least got a hand on that shot against Farnborough.
104 goals conceded in 62 League games not an impressive record.
Our defence isnt that bad.

By RedHarrow (harrowred)17/11/2019 17:16Sun Nov 17 17:16:32 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 772

What would be a good goals conceded in 62 games terry?

By Terry17/11/2019 17:33Sun Nov 17 17:33:40 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 841

I would say around 70-75 goals somewhere of that figure.
Yes your right the defence must do better closing down.
How much hard work is done in training thats another matter.
You watch the guys warm up before a match theres seems to be a lack on intensity.
This ridiculous hand shake before match doesnt help.
At the moment we cant keep a clean ultimately the keepers responsibly so lm saying get a new keeper.

By RedHarrow (harrowred)17/11/2019 19:21Sun Nov 17 19:21:08 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 777

So do you believe that 30-35 of the goals conceded out of the 104 are down to Hafed?

By Terry18/11/2019 01:26Mon Nov 18 01:26:45 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 866

Yes maybe 25 or so yes.

By RedHarrow (harrowred)18/11/2019 11:15Mon Nov 18 11:15:27 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 785

Super harsh in my opinion

By lee17/11/2019 18:41Sun Nov 17 18:41:09 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 781

if you had been at any of the last 3 league games you'd have seen how wrong you are in your quest for a new gk! haf has been at fault for 3 goals this season,he is an honest lad who holds his hands up when he does mess up,he works hard in training as do all the lads but when you're limited to a couple of hours a week theres only so much we can do.
if were at the game yesterday (farnborough) you would've seen the 7 hit 3 shots,all on target and all dealt with even a fine save touched on to bar.the Swindon game was 0-0 @ Ht largely down to haff!
you mention warm ups in 1 of your posts,have you seen haff in his warm up,he won't go in till he is happy and set with everything
come down,introduce yourself to me at a game and I'll sit with you and we'll discuss how he's doing throughout the game.

By Terry17/11/2019 19:00Sun Nov 17 19:00:44 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 860

Excuse me lve missed 3 days due to work lve seen the vast number of games last season and this.
Im not speaking of his warm up lm saying the team when they go out before the hand shake often look towards the floor.They seem to lack confidence
If they must do this hand shake.
Make strong eye contact and firm handshake.
You then see the ball kicked casually amongst themselves
There looks a lack of intensity.
My view of Hafeed is hes a average keeper he doesnt command his 6 yard box well from corners races out far too often.Sorry the Farnborough goal he should do better with.
The record is not good 104 goals in 62 is too many.
But as l said before is there enough hard work in training on the defensive side l very much doubt

Edited by Terry at 19:01:31 on 17th November 2019
Edited by Terry at 19:02:05 on 17th November 2019

By lee17/11/2019 19:12Sun Nov 17 19:12:21 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 725

average? in your opinion,whose the best goalkeeper in the league?
who is better,Melvin or haff?

I can only comment on these 2 as they're the only 2 I've worked with at this club.

the modern gk doesn't command his box in the same way commence,southall,shilton,shcmeical or seaman did.

By Terry17/11/2019 19:39Sun Nov 17 19:39:09 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 789

Melvin Minter is better he had an uncertain start but showed big improvement.
Simon Grant at Marlow is pretty good.
But its good of you Lee to part of the forum working at club this is excellent l can only give you my view other fans strongly disagree.
I will say this about defensive side.
You must have physically strong players in midfield to win and keep the ball.
We signed too many lightweight players in that area yes they were skilful but without the ball you can do nothing.
Keep it simple 4-4-2.
Keeper can keep clean sheets.
Defenders who can defend.
Midfield 2 wide for crosses and can tuck back in without the ball. 1 who can play pass it a bit. 1 who can kick sorry win the ball.
2 up front know where the goal is.
Captain who can shake his fist and motivate and most of all a fierce determination to win.
Dont come off that pitch without 3points.
Yes a fear factor of losing.
Those are the basics.
No more short corners and a guy to do a long throw.
That should be a recipe for success.Hopefully!

By lee17/11/2019 19:50Sun Nov 17 19:50:20 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 784

Melvin played to deep,distribution was poor and if he made a mistake another followed shortly after because he dwelled on the 1st mistake,the back 4 have confidence in haff,will pass the ball back to him and he is confident with everything that comes at him.
have a look at Melvin record at whitleaf or whitehawk,wherever he went.

as for simon grant,you are mad! he is volatile,mouthy and looking to fight every weekend.

peps is a tremendous skipper.

By Terry18/11/2019 01:40Mon Nov 18 01:40:36 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 770

Thanks Lee personally l would have Shaun Preddie or George Fenton as Skipper but its a game of Opinions.
I ve seen Grant play l Like his style in your face and get stuck in.
The fact Boro rarely keep a clean sheet is a massive problem lm giving a personal view others dont agree.
As weve got your ear on the forum.
I will mention a few other things.
Areas To Improve.6 of the best!
1 From a Throw always throw down the Line so you can never Lose ball in a bad area.
2 Bin Short Corners.Pointless its 50/50 you get a cross in.
3 Never Play out goal kick short from the back you can lose ball in bad area.Always go long hit the opponents half.
4 Free kick on half way always hit a channel long or the box the number of times lve seen ball played short.
5 Play the game as much as poss in opponents half thats where the goal is.
6 Never mention the playing Budget or how tough life is.
Working down a mine is tough not managing a football team.

Edited by Terry at 01:41:05 on 18th November 2019

By lee18/11/2019 08:09Mon Nov 18 08:09:50 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 769

I need to express these are my opinions and any statement I make is my own and nothing to do with anyone else.

your saying you'd rather see a throw go down the line into a 50/50 dual,I'd rather see the ball go to a harrow borough players feet to build an attack(ie mikey or george)
short corners work when executed right.
up until now we hardly ever play short because haffs distribution is on point.
I agree with the free kicks,as does bakes.its a free chance to load the box and gamble on knock downs.
wow,no.5 is like mr obvious!!
and finally no.6 is just silly.
Watford are bottom of the premier and man city top and you think budget isn't part of it,wow!
as for working in a mine,what's that got to do with it.

I would rather watch the style of football we play,than your brand.this is the same style of football that we played last season when we made it to a cup final at Griffin park,got harrow to its highest position in 15 years plus,a style of football that sees mikey,George,chin,Josh run with ball.a style of football where Coley crashes into tackles,ant o'connor gets bashed up for 90 mins because of his passion and desire to do well.

your brand of football is Wimbledon of the 80/90s and who really wants to see lump ot football?

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Terry18/11/2019 09:52Mon Nov 18 09:52:18 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 774

Thank you Lee lm very grateful for your time in replying.
Ive supported Boro since 1975 when l first went with Dad just with a bit of a gap late eighties early nineties when l ran my own business lve been a passionate fan.
If Hafeed proves me wrong brilliant by keeping clean sheets and l will eat humble pie!
About the throw ins l was told never throw a ball square because you can lose the ball in a bad area.
You play percentages l believe to have success at this level.
Short corners lm sorry cant agree.
Work hard in training on delivery thats the bottom line make their keeper work and yes give the keeper a knock let him know hes in a contest from the first corner.
You mention about point 5 being obvious well how come the defenders play square balls in our half and not hit channel straight away and also when the ball is out wide why isnt ball hit straight away in box instead of keep trying to find an angle and being over clever.
Long throws vital l notice Shaun Preddie did some last time l saw Boro thats excellent.
Good Football debate fine and dandy fans want to be entertained but Lets get this right its all about Winning nothing else matters.
Wimbledon of the 80s yes please!
Fierce Determined players playing the ball direct not afraid to get stuck and fight for every ball.
A winning mentality hard work and effort a bit like Life in general.
The final point 6 l mention seriously l heard Steve Baker say this on his you tube interview against Carshalton about having a Limited Budget l would not say that because in any job your work what your given.
I know lm probably in a minority of one but this forum is just Brilliant.
A good fighting display on Saturday at Farnborough and lm sure 3points coming this Saturday!

By RedHarrow (harrowred)18/11/2019 11:15Mon Nov 18 11:15:08 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 690

I agree Terry this forum is great. I respect your opinion with regards to Haff but I disagree and that is fine. I urge the boro coaches and management to keep playing this great football, I have enjoyed it over the last 16 months. I do absolutely agree we need to keep more clean sheets, that’s a winning formula, but I’d also rather not see a boring 0-0 every week.

Great chance this week to beat Wimborne. Hopefully some of the injured players can return and give us an attacking boost.

Are you attending this Saturday Terry? If so I’d like you to take some notes, how many saves Haf makes and how many mistakes he makes.

By Terry18/11/2019 11:40Mon Nov 18 11:40:44 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 833

Thanks Red Harrow lm hoping to be there. lve been on a 4 week contract to get some cash in for xmas.
I think the problem is Hafeed does make some good saves lm not questioning that but he Lets in too many soft goals.
He must be more decisive at corners and not out the goal so much thats the defenders job to deal with.
I ask you honestly are you confident we will keep a clean sheet.If not straight away we must score 2 to win and dont be taken in about this good football mantra its only any good if you win matches.
Give me a solid 1-0 or 2-0 and up near top of the league than a so called exciting 3-2 Loss.
Looking forward to Saturday!

By RedHarrow (harrowred)18/11/2019 17:54Mon Nov 18 17:54:27 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 904

I don’t think changing goalkeeper will immediately bring about clean sheets.

Like you’ve said, hard work in defending at training and tightening up the defence is key. Keeping the ball well and winning it back high up the pitch will also help.

I’m going for a 2-0 boro win on Saturday, Al-Droubi man of the match!

By Whispering Minotaur18/11/2019 12:43Mon Nov 18 12:43:00 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 700

Are you accepting the challenge from Red Harrow to make notes on your keepers performance on Saturday? You've not said yes or no.

By cappers17/11/2019 19:54Sun Nov 17 19:54:38 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 872

"as for simon grant,you are mad! he is volatile,mouthy and looking to fight every weekend".

I think that's exactly the sort of player Terry likes. Someone who gets angry, shakes their fist and shows 'passion'.

By Terry18/11/2019 01:25Mon Nov 18 01:25:21 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 908

Agreed Cappers hes a bit of a Groebalar or Schemical is Grant obviously not with their vast ability but you must have talkers players ready to dig out others when standards are slipping.
In other words WINNERS!!!!!!

Edited by Terry at 01:25:44 on 18th November 2019
Edited by Terry at 01:45:01 on 18th November 2019

By Whispering Minotaur18/11/2019 12:41Mon Nov 18 12:41:27 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 855

Out of interest - who is Groebalar and who is Schemical?

Or are you referring to Bruce Grobbelaar and Peter Schmeichel? Surely it's not beyond your abilities to check spellings of names before you post! Perhaps it is!

By RedHarrow (harrowred)17/11/2019 19:24Sun Nov 17 19:24:49 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 740

Hi Lee,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sticking up for Haf. I agree with you that he is a very good hardworking keeper. Definitely helps the team more than he hinders it! Keep up the work!

By RedHarrow (harrowred)10/11/2019 10:24Sun Nov 10 10:24:42 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 837

Absolutely. No need to think about changing the goalie. No goals were conceded because he couldn’t command his box. If his clean sheet record is so abysmal, then it has just as much to do with his defenders and the whole teams defending as anything else.

Anyway very frustrating to lose having been 2 up with 20 to play. But Swindon were worthy winners, dominated the game and clearly never gave up. Great effort from them. If we hadn’t conceded and had won, it could have been a real spring for the upcoming games. Let’s hope boros resilience is as good as Swindon’s and we can get a result from Farnborough game next week.

By harrowexcile10/11/2019 16:18Sun Nov 10 16:18:41 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 804

Hi.

Disappointing defeat for the Borough yesterday, especially after throwing away a 2 goal lead. I've lived in Swindon now for 50 years, but my loyalties are still with Borough. I went to see their match at Supermarine last season, when if I remember correctly, they won 2-1 after coming from behind, and were in a richer vein of form at that time. I was fortunate enough to meet up with some of the Borough fans that day who contribute to this forum. Who knows, perhaps I'll manage to get back to Earlsmead one day.

Kind regards.

Tony

By Terry18/11/2019 02:11Mon Nov 18 02:11:43 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 816

Hi Tony sorry its taken a while to reply.
Just a few work commitments.
Hope things are going good down there in Wiltshire.
Having a bit of a ding dong on the forum about keepers as we are incapable of keeping a clean sheet.lm sure you Remember Bill Shankly say you build from the back!
I didnt see the game as l had a work commitment.
But it doesnt surprise me we lost after being 2 up.
There seems to be a Lack of a game plan with the players told to " express" themselves which is fine but when the going gets tough a lack of leaders and nous.
Keep the ball deep in our opponents half and yes keep doing niggly fouls to stop opponents rythum and run down clock.
Keep the wde down the channels thats called game management waste time with subs etc.
Thats what l would do if my teams 2up.
But great to hear from you my friend your always welcome on our forum mate.

By harrowexcile18/11/2019 10:44Mon Nov 18 10:44:24 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 748

Hi Terry,

I've been reading with interest your views on the goalkeeper situation at Borough. It brought back memories of a posting I submitted some months back about the goalkeepers I could remember over a number of years when I was watching Borough on a regular basis. We certainly have had some decent 'keepers during my time. Do you think that Nick Pope might be available, or has he gone on to a better team?

Regards.

Tony

By Terry18/11/2019 11:29Mon Nov 18 11:29:55 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 842

Hi Tony l think Nicks gone Up North as they say but good Luck to him Thats why non league football is so vital to give support to up and coming players and its a scandal Level 3 gets no support from Premier League financially.
But what goes around comes around and VAR is bursting the Premier League bubble!
Having a great debate Hafeed is an ok keeper but we need clean sheets and thats not happening.
My fav Harrow Boro goalie of all time Les Currell.
When l first watched Boro in 1975 he was in goal and was only average but he came back early Eighties and part of our great team.
Always remember to this day we beat Wealdstone 4-1 at Lower Mead and their fans just couldnt take it all those years except for 1977 when they kept beating us and they bombarded poor Les with Flour and eggs and the match was stopped.
Hope things ok in Sunny Swindon Ton.

By Whispering Minotaur18/11/2019 12:37Mon Nov 18 12:37:19 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 733

Nick Pope plays for Burnley in the non-financially supportive Premier League!

By Earlsmead part-timer10/11/2019 20:21Sun Nov 10 20:21:41 2019In response to Re: 3-2 defeatTop of thread

Views: 1023

Good to see you still regularly dip into the forum Tony.
I know there are a lot of "exiles" who rely on the work of volunteers and fans around the club, reporting on matches running the website and forum etc. It's invaluable to people who are far flung around the country who still have an affection and love of the club.
I remember meeting you last season.
I hope to get to the return fixture perhaps you can make it too.

Previous thread: PhoneyBoro 1 Harrow Boro 1 by Middx Wanderer16/11/2019 19:14Sat Nov 16 19:14:04 2019view thread