Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: The Gameplan. by Terrance28/8/2021 19:21Sat Aug 28 19:21:27 2021view thread

Played for both Harrow and Poole

By APAW26/8/2021 17:26Thu Aug 26 17:26:45 2021

Views: 788

Hello there, I run a website covering Poole Town, where I have a series where I highlight players that have featured for both Poole and that week's opponents.

For this weeks' article, I am really struggling! I have found one potential player, Ouzo/ Uzo Opara, who definitely played at least once for Poole, but apparently also played for Harrow, if a quote from our local paper in 2007 is correct!

Obviously, an article about one player I can't definitely prove played for both teams wouldn't be too interesting!

Can anyone confirm if he did feature for Harrow at some point? Can anyone think of any players that have played for both? It would be a massive help!

Thanks in advance,

Jack Tanner

allpoolearentwe.com

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Played for both Harrow and Poole

By Middx Wanderer26/8/2021 20:26Thu Aug 26 20:26:54 2021In response to Played for both Harrow and PooleTop of thread

Views: 809

I am away on holiday, I can look it up when I return next week, which may be a bit late.

Did Ryan Moss ever play for Poole ?

By APAW26/8/2021 21:20Thu Aug 26 21:20:52 2021In response to Re: Played for both Harrow and PooleTop of thread

Views: 732

I've checked with old teamsheets, and it appears he certainly played against Poole for Dorchester, he didn't actually play for them. I was holding out hope, as during the time he was at Dorchester quite a few players were 'lent' to Poole - such as Uze Opare.

The only other possibility I can think of is Karl Yelland. He played for Poole in the tenth tier before shooting up the leagues to Wealdstone (6th tier at the time) for a few games, before disappearing for a few years. Is there a chance he dropped down a division or two and played at Harrow?

If you wouldn't mind checking when you're back, that would be great. Always the reverse fixture, and at this point I'm so far down the rabbit hole I'd like to get to the bottom of it!

By cappers26/8/2021 22:04Thu Aug 26 22:04:52 2021In response to Re: Played for both Harrow and PooleTop of thread

Views: 647

I had a search for Karl Yelland and it seems he played for Wealdstone in around 2008 so he wouldn't have been dropping down a division or two to play for Harrow because we were in the same division. We were above Wealdstone in the Pyramid for quite a few years when I was growing up, it's only more recently that they have pushed on, leaving us behind.

I'm almost certain Karl Yelland didn't play for us. I'd certainly never heard of him until you mentioned him.

As Poole is a fair distance away from Harrow, it's conceivable that there has never been a player that has played for both teams. I wish you luck in trying to find someone. Perhaps Uze Opare is the one! Although his name doesn't ring a bell.

Edited by cappers at 22:05:09 on 26th August 2021

By APAW26/8/2021 22:18Thu Aug 26 22:18:26 2021In response to Re: Played for both Harrow and PooleTop of thread

Views: 711

My apologies, for some reason I read somewhere that he went from Poole to 'Conference South' Wealdstone, which obviously isn't the case! I had a small hope that as he had a nomadic career in Dorset, he would have replicated that in and around North London but that wasn't the case.

I certainly think that the fact that the two sides have largely played in separate leagues thanks to the Isthmian/ Southern League split discourages players from sharing history at both clubs. I have found that apart from when clubs are in the same rough geographical area such as London, players are a lot less likely to jump between leagues, they usually stay in one or the other and make the rounds that way. It certainly happens with players and the four Dorset teams.

All I know about Opara is that he would have played for Harrow pre 2007, and that he played Conference South for Dorchester, and then at the same level for Sutton, which implies he certainly had a pedigree and that he was in the very rough area to have feasibly played for Harrow. All I've got to go on is a throwaway comment from a paper article from back in 2007, so very slim pickings! I don't doubt there is probably no overlap, but I always find it interesting when an obscure name somehow ends up playing for two completely unrelated sides.

By Terrance26/8/2021 21:58Thu Aug 26 21:58:13 2021In response to Re: Played for both Harrow and PooleTop of thread

Views: 736

Hello APAW Nice To Have You As A Guest On Our Forum And Looking Forward To Welcoming Poole On Saturday To Earlsmead.
The One Player Who Springs To Mind Who May Possibly Have Played For Us And Poole Could Be Gary Borthwick Who Older Fans Such As Myself Will Remember From The 1970s!!!
I’m Sure He Played For Weymouth As Well.
Just Must Say Well Done To Northwood For Their Fab 4-1 Fa Cup Replay Win At Burnham On Tuesday Night!
Well Done Woods And Come On Borough!!!

By APAW26/8/2021 22:26Thu Aug 26 22:26:21 2021In response to Re: Played for both Harrow and PooleTop of thread

Views: 834

Thank you very much, I look forward to making the trip. It will be my first visit!

Gary Borthwick is certainly a legendary name around here in Dorset. I can't see anything to say he played for Poole, but it seems he played for nearly other 'big' club in Dorset - AFC Bournemouth, Weymouth and Dorchester. I have a feeling there might be a few players from way back (50s, 60s, 70s etc) that follow the same path of players winding down their careers by joining Bournemouth, then slipping into semi-pro football with Poole.

Previous thread: A Good FA Cup Draw! by Terrance23/8/2021 14:26Mon Aug 23 14:26:16 2021view thread