Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Salisbury 0 Harrow 2 by Fulham red14/4 16:48Sun Apr 14 16:48:51 2024view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: “Highlights” by Terrance31/8/2021 22:38Tue Aug 31 22:38:56 2021view thread

Harrow Borough v Poole Match Preview

By Terrance28/8/2021 11:03Sat Aug 28 11:03:18 2021

Views: 964

Looking Forward To This Afternoon Match With Poole.
Both Ourselves and Poole Have Had Identical Starts To The Season With Just Goal Difference Seperating Us Both Being On The 3 Points.
Despite This Every Bookmaker Has Poole As Odds On Favourites Despite Us Having Home Advantage!
As Toyah Once Sung Its A Mystery!
I Have No Doubt That If We Take The Game To Poole And Play At A Good Tempo We Will Beat Them This Afternoon.
If MCS Is Fit He Must Start And The Same With Frank Keita Too.
Both Marc and Frank Bring Needed Strength and Skill To Us.
We Can’t Have A Repeat Of How We Started Against Yate In Our Only Previous Home Game.
Need To Get The Ball Forward as Early As Possible And Into Wide Areas For Good Crosses Into The Box.
Let’s See Some Good Long Throws And Yes From Corners Some Robust Challenges On The Poole Keeper.
Some Tough Tackles In The Middle Of The Pitch.
Just Show Poole That We Mean Business And Are Determined To Win This Match.
Nearly Forgot Bin The Short Corners Forever!!!
So lm Confident Despite What The Bookmakers May Think I Know We Enough Quality To Win This So lm Saying 2-1 To Borough And If Any Other Fans On Our Great Forum Have A Score Prediction Please Give It!!!
Come On You Reds!!!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match Preview

By cappers28/8/2021 12:19Sat Aug 28 12:19:41 2021In response to Harrow Borough v Poole Match PreviewTop of thread

Views: 737

Yeah I was quite surprised when I looked at the odds the other day that Poole were clear favoruties. Seems rather odd considering they haven't got off to a great start. I was quite tempted to put some money on a Borough win but then I came to my senses!

By Terrance28/8/2021 12:42Sat Aug 28 12:42:01 2021In response to Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match PreviewTop of thread

Views: 869

Hello Cappers Thanks For Your Thoughts As Always.
I Think There Will Be Goals Today And Should Be A Entertaining Match.
As For The Bookmakers I Think They Are Making Poole Such Strong Favourites On Reputation More Than Recent Form As They Were One Of The Ante Post Favourites To Win The Southern League.
This Will Be A Toughie But lm Sticking With 2-1 To Borough!
So Come On You Reds!!!

By Earlsmead part-timer28/8/2021 13:40Sat Aug 28 13:40:13 2021In response to Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match PreviewTop of thread

Views: 931

Was planning to get to this game but now can't make it . So a quick report on match would be appreciated.

As for the result , well I guess lot depends on what type of "Boro" team turns up.
The one against Yate and we'll get spanked. The one against Hartney and we'll be the winners.
Think the midfield will be key and for me I hope Uche is fit and plays in midfield.
Salisbury couldn't get near him when he played the first half in that position.
Perhaps the two teams indifferent results so far will mean a draw .
So I think it could be 1-1 .

By Terrance28/8/2021 13:45Sat Aug 28 13:45:16 2021In response to Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match PreviewTop of thread

Views: 1066

Cheers Earlsmead Part Timer.
Midfield Vital Area Of Course And Your Right We Can’t Afford A Slow Start Like We Did Against Yate.
The Whole Side Need To Play At A Good Tempo And On The Money From The First Whistle.
Yes I Will Be Doing A Report As Usual And Thanks For Your Score Prediction!
Come On You Reds!!!

Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match Preview on Radio Poole Town

By Earlsmead part-timer28/8/2021 16:04Sat Aug 28 16:04:21 2021In response to Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match PreviewTop of thread

Views: 918

Jeez just listened to the first half on Radio Poole Town (just Google it)
OK so it's from a Poole perspective but it don't sound good from a Boro perspective either !

Hope the second half is better .

Lost 4-0

By Earlsmead part-timer28/8/2021 16:55Sat Aug 28 16:55:29 2021In response to Re: Harrow Borough v Poole Match Preview on Radio Poole Town Top of thread

Views: 1058

Jeez that was painful listening.

Lost 4-0 and sounded like Poole didn't get out of second gear .

A long hard season ahead . . .

Re: Lost 4-0

By harrowred (RedHarrow)28/8/2021 17:49Sat Aug 28 17:49:50 2021In response to Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 812

Hi Part Timer,

I have to say that the first half coverage must have been very bias. It was very even and I think Boro were looking the better team. We had a number of corners and a few opportunities wasted with poor final passes. Poole played mainly on the break and scored after a couple of minutes of pressure just before HT. Las will want to have done better, getting a hand to the shot but it just trickled over.

Second half they scored straight away, punishing a weak clearance. Effectively it was 2 goals in 4 minutes and pretty much game over. Typical Boro to concede at awful times!

After it was 2-0 Poole did control the game as we changed formation, however we then did try to impact the game, George Moore having a few shots and Preddie hitting the post. They scored two late goals but it certainly didn’t feel like they deserved a 4-0 win. They edged it but until they scored I thought it would be 1-0 to either side or 1-1.

The problem we had was that we didn’t have any players to impact the game. MCS was dearly missed. Ewington constantly was running in behind after faking to show to feet, however his teammates kept trying to play to feet! Very frustrating.

All in all it wasn’t the worst performance but Poole took advantage of us.

By Terrance28/8/2021 19:03Sat Aug 28 19:03:36 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 740

Thank You HarrowRed For The Report You Summed Things Up Well.
Our Big Problem Is l Believe We Don’t Have Any Sort Of Proper Gameplan In Place When We Take The Pitch.
For Example On 3 Corners One Is Played Short And The Ball Lost And 2 Played To The Edge Of The Area With No Test Of Their Defence.
3 Times We Had a Free Kick In Their Half And Its Played Short With No Effect.
The 2nd And 4Th Goals Poole Scored We Could Never Score As Their 2nd Goal Was a Robust Challenge On Our Keeper Something We NeverDo To Opposing Keepers And The 4th Goal A Cross From a Free Kick Direct Into The Box That We No Doubt Would Have Played Short And
Got Nowhere With.
No One Questions The Effort The Players And Management ArePutting In But The Fans Expect Far Better Than What We Saw This Afternoon.
I’m Going To Be Posting The Gameplan l Would Follow Every MatchAnd
To Be Successful At Any Level Of Football.

By Earlsmead part-timer28/8/2021 18:31Sat Aug 28 18:31:08 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1013

Thanks Harrowred .

To be fair to the radio commentary he did say it was fairly even HT but it was a boring match.

Second half PT appeared to take control quite easily.
Shame Preddie shot didn't go in perhaps things could have turned out better .

Not good to lose 4-0 at home though .
Thanks for the report .

By harrowred (RedHarrow)28/8/2021 20:32Sat Aug 28 20:32:45 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1103

Absolutely. Always up against it if you concede within two minutes either side of HT. it was an uphill battle from then on. We did improve when our shape changed and we adjusted. You’ll be pleased to know Uche showed some good play in midfield, however he wasn’t really breaking too much opposition play up. I thought Poole were also lucky that there number 8 stayed on the pitch. He shoved/dragged Biler around the shoulder/neck, then completely took out Preddie and in the second half chased down Michael Bryan and shoved him from behind. The last one finally earned him a yellow.

I thought James Taylor adds a really nice balance to our defence as he is left footed which is good to have when playing a 3-5-2. Hendon haven’t managed to replicate their opening day performance and if we go and play with commitment and a tall striker I think we will be in with a great chance. George Moore could also do with finding his shooting boots, I think once one goes in for him, he will start getting on a roll.

By Earlsmead part-timer28/8/2021 22:34Sat Aug 28 22:34:12 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1109

Not sure if the refs have been given a new directive this season or have just been watching the Euro's 2020 to much , but they r definitely more lenient this season than previous seasons .

By APAW29/8/2021 02:35Sun Aug 29 02:35:43 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 744

It was I commentating on the radio. Obviously I can't speak of my own bias (but nor can people that didn't even hear what I had to say...) but there was very little positive about the first half in my book. Might have been a bit melodramatic at times but it was such a turgid opening period. Felt like I had neck strain from watching Harrow hoof the ball, only for it to be headed right back by Poole, for the cycle to repeat over, and over, ad nauseum.

The opening goal was completely befitting of the first 45 - Harrow made a pig's ear of clearing it, Poole kept aimlessly pumping the ball forward - tried a fancy flick on that failed, but bounced kindly for our winger, who then scuffed it past the goalkeeper who really should have done better. Trickled over the line.

Whilst they had a few corners, Harrow had a single shot from a free-kick in the first period, which came right at the end of the half. It would be harsh to say Poole were playing on the counter, as that would imply Harrow had attacks to counter.

It took 22 minutes for Poole to have a shot themselves, honestly up there with the worst 45 minutes of football I've had the displeasure of watching. As soon as Poole had a sustained attack that lasted multiple phases (not from keeping the ball, but having it kindly returned multiple times) it resulted in a goal. They then came into the second half with a bit more purpose and energy, and carried that on 10 minutes after the goal until the game petered out.

I notice you have five goalkeepers registered according to the Southern League website - one is your goalkeeping coach, and the other is still playing cricket - but surely the ex-Colchester youngster you've signed should be given a go? The loanee keeper looked out of his depth. Was lucky to stay on as well - definitely went in with a headbutting motion that seemingly is always a red on TV, but the ref had a better view than me I must admit.

I saw someone moan on here about the second but none of the players complained, 'keeper was never in possession of the ball and simply lost the header. I agree that as soon as the second went in the game was over as a contest. The final two goals came from non-existent marking at a set-piece and then a poor pass back that was punished.

I felt that 3 at the back stifled Poole, especially in the wide areas where they like to overlap, but it did limit service to Ewington, who is a very good striker that has haunted us for his former clubs. That being said, the midfield was completely bypassed in the first half, and as soon as Poole got a handle of possession in the middle the game was decided.

As a neutral I wouldn't say there is too much to worry about, seems like there are decent players getting game time for the first time at this level, and just need to find their feet. Honestly feels like any side is capable of getting a result off anyone. All the best for the rest of the season.

Edited by APAW at 02:36:45 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:37:23 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:39:58 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:44:12 on 29th August 2021
Edited by APAW at 02:44:56 on 29th August 2021

By cappers29/8/2021 10:21Sun Aug 29 10:21:49 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 950

Thanks APAW for coming on here and giving your view of things.

As for what Terry has neen saying. I agree with you partly. Playing out from the back will lead to mistakes and chances for the opposition. I also like to see throw ins go forward. I'm not a huge fan of short corners. However, I don't think that just lumping the ball forward at every opportunity is the way to go. There should be a good balance. Play direct balls when needed and play decent passing football at other times.

By Terrance29/8/2021 12:06Sun Aug 29 12:06:04 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1047

Cheers Cappers Thanks For Your Views.
What I’m Saying Is Play The Game In The Opponents Half As Much As Possible By Getting The Ball Early Forward Using The Channels For Crosses Into The Box.
Short Corners As We Saw Yesterday Are Just Totally Brainless And To Me Indicates There’s No Set Plan For When The Players Take The Pitch.
To See A Short Corner In The First Few Minutes And The Ball Not Delivered Into The Box Is A Complete Joke And Something You Would Never See In Sunday Football.
We Need Players Of Physique and Height For This League Otherwise Defeats As We Saw Yesterday and Against Yate Will Become The Norm lm Afraid.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By The Majors Hat29/8/2021 23:05Sun Aug 29 23:05:15 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1022

You're preaching to the choir on this one.
Missed yesterday's game fortunately, but by all accounts we were out muscled by a more physical and bigger side.
It's not rocket science how to beat us.

By Earlsmead part-timer29/8/2021 09:01Sun Aug 29 09:01:44 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1005

Interesting to hear the views of a neutral APAW and I enjoyed your commentary on the radio, even if it was painful from a Boro supporters point of view (0-4!) and I obviously understand it's going to be from a Poole Town angle and not Harrow .

Too be fair to our keeper Las, he has been very good in all our previous games and perhaps had an off day.

I've often felt at non-league level a lot of the goals come from teams giving the ball away badly or when an attack breaks down and players are out of position, teams down the bottom end of the table seem really guity of this IMO. I suppose that's why they r playing at this level and not higher.

We've got a real six pointer next against Hendon (what already! , LOL) a big game and Derby for both clubs .

All the best for the future.

Edited by Earlsmead part-timer at 09:04:32 on 29th August 2021
Edited by Earlsmead part-timer at 09:05:42 on 29th August 2021

By harrowred (RedHarrow)29/8/2021 14:46Sun Aug 29 14:46:31 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 889

I agree that Las has been playing well. He is only 18 so inconsistency is to be expected. He’s played well so far but the first two goals yesterday he could have done better with. I did see we signed the Colchester lad, but again he is also young. Las shouldn’t have been sent off for a ‘headbutt’. He squared up face to face, forehead to forehead with the Poole player, who then embarrassingly flung himself backwards onto the floor.

I totally agree Boro didn’t create a huge amount of shots in the first half, but we did get a number of corners after good work but the final ball was really lacking. Biler had 3 chances to pick out a pass to Moore, Bryan and Ewington in the box but on all occasions found defenders. Had he connected with one then a goal would have been likely.

I only say Poole looked to counter as I felt Boro shaded possession and we’re trying to play through Moore, Cole and Bryan. When the ball broke down in the final third it allowed Poole space to also play into. 0-0 at HT would have been fair but Poole ultimately killed the game off with the second goal so early in the second half.

By Terrance29/8/2021 09:12Sun Aug 29 09:12:28 2021In response to Re: Lost 4-0 Top of thread

Views: 1001

Thanks Earlsmead Part Timer For Your Views.
What I’m Saying Is This You Need To Play In A Way That Gets Out The Best Of The Players You Have And Gives You The Best Chance Of Winning Matches.
If The Attitude At Any Club Is Just Telling The Players Just Keep Possesion Of The Ball With Endless Short Passes And No Final Ball As We Saw Yesterday and Against Yate Town Thats Not Good Enough Or If We Hear About Injuries Etc Thats Not The Point.
Any Group Of Players Who Are Given Good Coaching,An Idea Of What They Are Doing And Yes Have Self Belief And Confidence Can Win Matches Against Teams Of Similiar Ability.
Simple As That!

Previous thread: The Gameplan. by Terrance28/8/2021 19:21Sat Aug 28 19:21:27 2021view thread