Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Next Season by Middx WandererYesterday 13:00Yesterday at 13:00:01view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Portsmouth v Harrow Borough Match Preview. by Terrance5/11/2021 09:22Fri Nov 5 09:22:15 2021view thread

Good Luck

By Rick_Pumpkin3/11/2021 11:20Wed Nov 3 11:20:15 2021

Views: 725

Pompey supporter here wanting to wish you the best of luck and that you all have a great day out on Saturday. If ever there was a time to play Pompey then that's now as the team is woeful and has no fight in it at all. Coupled with a manager who's apparently a legend in his own lunchtime and a non-firing forward line, it could be an interesting game.

Just to let you know that unless you've paid for parking at the ground, of which there's very little, it's mostly street parking and I'd suggest if you're there early enough to use the Milton Common side of Moorings Way - from there it's 10 minutes to the ground. There's places to eat and drink close to Fratton Park and a quick scan of Google Maps will identify those. For a beer there's a number of pubs, sadly diminished in number over recent years, and you'll get a warm welcome at the Staggeringly Good brewery that's located behind the North Stand and which you access from Rodney Road. I can't think of a pub that isn't friendly towards visiting supporters.

Anyway, travel safe, enjoy the game and please don't gloat too much at the end.

reply to this article | return to the front page

3 people like this 3 people   

Re: Good Luck

By Hold Steady Reds!3/11/2021 20:35Wed Nov 3 20:35:46 2021In response to Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 662

Thanks Rick, should be a great day.

I'm already planning to check out that brewery!

By harrowred (RedHarrow)3/11/2021 11:33Wed Nov 3 11:33:02 2021In response to Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 921

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the post. Glad to have some Pompey views here. I’ve been browsing twitter and the Pompey forums and it definitely seems like the fans are in a sour mood with this team.

Despite your poor form and our great form, I still expect Portsmouth to get the job done. We shall enjoy the day out and hopefully keep it close in the first half, then anything could happen.

Thanks for your advice on parking, restaurants and pubs. I’m certainly looking forward to Saturday and mingling pre game with any Pompey fans. Hope it’s a good game.

By Rick_Pumpkin3/11/2021 11:43Wed Nov 3 11:43:06 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 876

You're right, the forums and social media aren't exactly buzzing from a Pompey perspective right now.

Another pub that came to mind that's reasonably close to the ground is the Good Companion, which is on the junction of the Eastern Road (the road you'll drive down onto the island) and Moorings Way. It's always a good mix of home and away support, is a decent size and reasonably priced. The landlord is actually a diehard Plymouth supporter and if you speak nicely to him he'll often let you leave your car in the car park during the game.

Edited by Rick_Pumpkin at 11:43:17 on 3rd November 2021

By Earlsmead part-timer3/11/2021 14:06Wed Nov 3 14:06:22 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 734

Thanks Rick, I shall be driving to the game so that's useful advice.

Really looking forward to our "big day out" and wish Portsmouth well for the season.

Although obviously not on Saturday!

By Rick_Pumpkin4/11/2021 09:58Thu Nov 4 09:58:16 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 710

Not too sure whether anyone needs this info' and although slightly out of date (the Brewers' Arms pub has been demolished and rebuilt as flats), it does offer some decent advice.

/footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/league-one/fratton-park-portsmouth.html

Look forward to hopefully catching up with some Boro supporters at Staggeringly before the game. I drive to Fratton and back from the midlands each game so don't hang around afterwards.

By TOWN COLOURS4/11/2021 21:32Thu Nov 4 21:32:12 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 655

Thanks for your good wishes Rick and all us Boro fans are looking forward to our big day out. Seems a shame that the match seemingly has not captured the imagination of Pompey fans in so far as the indication on your forums is that ticket sales are Staggeringly slow. As you know our average gate is under 150 yet we have managed to sell around 500 tickets for the match Saturday I understand. Hopefully Pompey will increase there publicity with a view to increasing sales. Ticket prices are well below the normal price for a Pompey match as you know - so what gives?

By Rick_Pumpkin5/11/2021 08:41Fri Nov 5 08:41:16 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 561

I think there's a general malaise around the place and that reduces the appetite to watch our misfiring squad. We have distant owners who in their defence are happy to improve the infrastructure at the club, but are reluctant to pump more cash into the playing side. A lot of people wanted Kenny Jackett out but didn't consider that whoever came in behind him could be much worse - then it happened with the Cowley brothers.

As friendly of the two of them are they are guilty of maybe promising a lot but delivering next to nothing, with our performances this season being way below anything that happened in preceding seasons. Their signings over the summer in the main have been poor with only the loanees in Bazunu and Romeo standing out alongside Thompson, a freebie who had a bad injury record over recent years but who is being nursed back to health slowly. He played 70 minutes on Tuesday against Cheltenham and was for me the stand out performer.

I'm on the fence with the management and if they can move on Jacobs, Harrison and (fingers crossed) Marquis then there's a huge portion of the playing budget to spend on players who actually want to be at Fratton Park. Until then I think crowds will be down generally and it'll take quite a selling job by the club to convince people to return. I'm one of them - I held a season ticket until 2019, even keeping it when I lived in the States for a few years, but Jackettball dried me out in the end. Nowadays I pick and choose the games to go to and apart from Crewe at home earlier in the season I haven't seen what I think is a decent Pompey performance in a couple of years. It doesn't help living north of Birmingham, but I suppose that's only a problem when it suits me!

The good thing about Cowley is that it sounds like he's going to play a strong side tomorrow and not use it as a reason to rest players, not that we have a squad big enough to do that anyway. You might see a youngster or two and Harry Jewitt-White springs to mind, but generally it should be the lumpen footed plodders who've graced the pitch regularly for us this season.

By TOWN COLOURS5/11/2021 09:21Fri Nov 5 09:21:44 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 675

Hi Rick. I hear what you say although the crowds at your home games have been holding up quite well. I think you yourself mentioned on another forum that ticket sales for the match were on the low side. As I mentioned previously the price of tickets for this game have been reduced substantially. Is it just your fans feel it is below them or are just too snooty to watch Portsmouth play a non league club? Wishing you a safe journey to the match. Think you are travelling further than the majority of Boro fans !

By Rick_Pumpkin5/11/2021 09:58Fri Nov 5 09:58:22 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 543

One thing I have to say about Pompey supporters is that they are typically very respectful towards all clubs, probably with one big exception, and it's more the dreadful football and never feeling so distant from owners that is driving things right now. In recent seasons we've played Harrogate and Macclesfield in the cup when both were in the National League and there was never anything derogatory sung to their supporters. Well, except for 'You dirty northern b...'!.

Personally I'm looking forward to tomorrow, the FA Cup is still a great competition, particularly in these early rounds, and it's always a case of you just might witness a shock result. I was at Old Trafford for the QF in 2008 and am every bit as much going to enjoy the game tomorrow.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)5/11/2021 11:11Fri Nov 5 11:11:25 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 504

You can sing that song to us too haha

By Terrance4/11/2021 22:22Thu Nov 4 22:22:53 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 695

Hello Dave Town Colours And HarrowRed.
I’m Afraid lm On The Injury List As l Had Minor Collision As A Pedestrian With A Van Taking A Corner In Uxbridge Yesterday.
Just A Bone Broken To Heal In The Side Of Leg and Be Taking 4-6 Weeks To Get Better But Cant Walk At The Mo.
But Radio Solent Providing Live Match Commentary On Line So All Not Lost!
In Regard To Danny Cowley He Spoke With Total Respect Toward Us And A Fine Ambassador For Portsmouth.
As For Ticket Sales Let’s Hope For A Late “Surge” From The Home Fans And Try To Get Somewhere Between 8,000-10,000.

By The Majors Hat5/11/2021 08:52Fri Nov 5 08:52:36 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 731

Absolute nightmare.
Gutted for you sir.
Hopefully you can be back on your feet in time for round 2.
Stay strong Terrance.

By Terrance5/11/2021 08:59Fri Nov 5 08:59:11 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 817

Thanks Majors Hat For Those Warm Words.
As Frank Sinatra Once Sang “That’s Life”
I Appreciate Everyone’s Good Wishes Your All So Very Kind.
I’m Just About To Put A Match Preview For Tomorrow’s Big Game!

By Rick_Pumpkin5/11/2021 08:26Fri Nov 5 08:26:11 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 669

From one supporter to another I'm really sorry to hear about your accident and hope you recover soon enough. Fingers crossed you get a draw against us and then you're fit enough to get to the replay!

Get well soon, mate!

By Terrance5/11/2021 08:33Fri Nov 5 08:33:32 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 595

Thanks Rick Pumpkin For Your Kind Words.
Yes A Replay Would Be Probably The Ideal Result For Borough Certainly Financially And Would Almost Certainly Be A “Live Tv Match”
All These Good Wishes As We Say In London Putting A Smile On My “Boat Race” Face!!!

By Earlsmead part-timer4/11/2021 22:41Thu Nov 4 22:41:02 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 679

Gutted for you Terry, I know how much you were looking forward to the match.

By Terrance4/11/2021 22:46Thu Nov 4 22:46:57 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 539

Thanks Earlsmead Part Timer For Your Kind Wishes.
It Is Disappointing But This Great Forum And All The Excellent Regulars Will No Doubt Help In My Recovery!
There’s Going To Be Good Coverage From Radio Solent And Highlights On You Tube And I Have No Doubt This Will Be A Close And Enjoyable Match Be It In Person To Watch At Fratton Park Or Those Listening To The Commentary!

1 person dislikes this 1 person

By TOWN COLOURS4/11/2021 23:10Thu Nov 4 23:10:42 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 741

Sorry to hear your news Terry. You will be missed at the match with your sound observations on the state of play. Hope you are able to get back to watching live soon . If the van driver was at fault then hopefully you can get some compensation including an additional payment for missing this huge FA Cup match. Really feel for you Terry.

By Terrance5/11/2021 06:22Fri Nov 5 06:22:32 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 784

Thank You Dave Town Colours For Your Kindness As Always My Friend.
Just One Of Those Things Really Bit Of A Blind Turning And l was In A Bit Of A Rush Getting To An Appointment.
I’m Pretty Lucky To Be Financially Secure Living At Home With Dad.
The Good Thing Is Dave That l Can Listen On Radio Solent For Match Commentary Online And Highlights On You Tube And Until l Can Attend Again Borough Do An Excellent Twitter On The Games In Progress.
Seeing How Some People Were In Hillingdon Hospital On Wednesday lm Fortunate Just To Have A Relatively Minor Injury That Will Heal Hopefully As Quick Poss.
With This Forum As l Said To Earlsmead Part Timer We Do Have So Many Excellent Contributors Such As Yourself, The Major,HarrowRed Ash Boro Loyal and Middlesex Wanderer Amongst Others That Always Give An Insight On How Borough Are Doing.
Later This Morning I’m Going To Do A Match Preview For The Portsmouth Game As Tomorrow Morning A “Red Army” Is Descending On Portsmouth!
Thanks Again Dave My Friend

Edited by Terrance at 07:38:38 on 5th November 2021

By geemickey5/11/2021 08:04Fri Nov 5 08:04:35 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 714

Terrance, I don't know you but I'm really sorry to hear of your accident and the possibility you will not be able
to go to Portsmouth for the greatest game in Harrow Borough's history.

Surely someone could get you there by car - or even on the team coach perhaps ?
Plenty of people watch football in wheelchairs at the grounds.

In case that's not possible, I suggest you check that Radio Solent do cover the match.
I made the enquiry and have paid just £2.50 for access to the commentary - it may be advisable to check !

I hope, at the very least, you hear a loud and clear commentary - and maybe get to watch a replay at Earlsmead.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

By Terrance5/11/2021 08:15Fri Nov 5 08:15:25 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 701

Cheers Gee Mickey For That.
Everyone’s Good Wishes Are Certainly Helping.
Just At The Moment lm Writing This From The Sofa Of The Living Room And Having A Scan On Monday And Movement Not Possible!
This Is The Good Thing With The Non League Game With Very Few Exceptions It Really Is Like An Extended “Family” Especially On This Fab Forum!
As l Know That Our Fans Will Be Travelling In The Morning lm Going To Be Putting Up A Match Preview Fairly Soon And l Really Appreciate Your Kind Wishes Gee-Mickey.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)5/11/2021 11:16Fri Nov 5 11:16:30 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 579

Terry, that is terrible news. Absolutely gutted for you. As much as some might disagree with some of your entitled opinions, nobody doubts your loyalty and passion for the team. You’ll be sorely missed in the away end tomorrow. Hopefully a replay will allow you to hobble to Earlsmead on Tuesday.

Would you like me to purchase you a match programme at the game and give it to you at the next match/drop it off to you at some point?

Best wishes!

By Terrance5/11/2021 11:24Fri Nov 5 11:24:27 2021In response to Re: Good LuckTop of thread

Views: 555

Thanks For Your Kind Wishes HarrowRed.
Yes Please If You Can Get Me Programme And The Next Home Match l Can Attend I Will See You On Halfway Where l Stand and Pay You Then.
Around 4 Weeks Till I Can Get Along To Earlsmead.

Previous thread: Portsmouth squad by harrowred4/11/2021 20:27Thu Nov 4 20:27:53 2021view thread