Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Next Season by Middx WandererYesterday 13:00Yesterday at 13:00:01view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: 2-0 Gosport by harrowred25/3/2023 17:27Sat Mar 25 17:27:24 2023view thread

Relegation ?

By geemickey20/3/2023 11:14Mon Mar 20 11:14:12 2023

Views: 748

Does anyone know if Harrow Borough / Harrow Town FC has ever been relegated ?

God forbid, but if it were to happen this season, I would hope for a transfer to the Isthmian League's
'South-Central' Div 1'. where travelling would be easier and a few decent local-ish derbies would ensue.

It needs to be faced that the financial implications of relegation could be extremely damaging to the Club.

However, if there are positives to be had, reduced travelling costs and easier signing of players who are put off by the travelling time involved in the Southern Premier may lead to a more competitive and hopefully winning team, which may actually result in higher attendances.
Reduced mileage for the Fans would enable them to enjoy more away games too.

Let's just hope it doesn't happen ! It's down to the players to get the Club out of the bottom four.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Relegation ?

By TOWN COLOURS21/3/2023 15:55Tue Mar 21 15:55:49 2023In response to Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 605

Relegated just once in the 1960s - from Athenian D1 to Division 2. This was as a result of our successful team of a couple of years being tempted away financially. At that time we had no floodlights. Charlie Gilliard chairman at the time thankfully decided we should soldier on despite the financial situation

By geemickey22/3/2023 19:08Wed Mar 22 19:08:09 2023In response to Re: Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 540

That's an impressive record over 60+ years.

Let's hope today's players and manager can extend it, by another year at least.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)20/3/2023 11:38Mon Mar 20 11:38:30 2023In response to Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 678

Looking from the outside in, I don’t know how it would impact the club financially. More local games might mean a better attendance in general with more away fans? However you would expect more fans the higher the level you play.

We have one of the lowest footballing budgets already. I’m not sure how that would compare to others in the Isthmian South Central. I’d think we could keep most of the team if relegated if we wanted them. Biler, Ikebuasi, Adenola. Moore is obviously good enough to play elsewhere but he may have some loyalty? He did trial with Hanwell last summer so who knows. But partly the fact that most could stay says a lot about the quality of the team! Also that they’re quite young and not proven at a higher level yet. I’d think they’d be good enough to challenge in the league below for promotion.

Boro have been at this level for so long it is hard to imagine anything different.

By Earlsmead part-timer20/3/2023 13:45Mon Mar 20 13:45:55 2023In response to Re: Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 644

Must admit I can't see Boro getting out of it.
One league win in what 13 or 14 league games ? I reckon we need at least 4 possibly 5 wins for safety.
I can't see where they are coming from.

A thin squad this season , many youngsters. Loans brought in to augment that .
Long term it's not the answer imo.
Loan players aren't going to put their body on the line for the club, why risk an injury in a 50/50 ball for a struggling club you won't be here for next season ?

As for what league we would play in I would have thought it would definitely be the Isthmian South Central if relegated.
Wouldn't be easy to get back up and the club could easily drift into more obscurity.

Edited by Earlsmead part-timer at 13:46:59 on 20th March 2023

1 person likes this 1 person   

By The Majors Hat20/3/2023 16:44Mon Mar 20 16:44:18 2023In response to Re: Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 695

Spot on with everything there.
One win in 14 league games.
The frustrating thing is that during this abysmal run of league results, we've also put in great performances in the Trophy at Swindon and home to Halifax.
Why is the attitude and effort on the pitch so different during league games?
The first ten minutes last Saturday at Plymouth were very equal as both sides tried to get to grips with the barely playable surface.
However, after 20 minutes there was only going to be one winner. Their players won 95% of every 50/50 ball and the majority of ours were less than committed in tackles.
It's worrying that for months now the talk on the terraces has been that 'the club' would prefer us to be relegated as it would be less of a financial burden.
Being relegated and having more local derbies won't attract more fans to games.
It's a simple fact that the demographic within a few miles of Earlsmead has changed a lot over the last 25 years. There are very few who are interested in live football.
If we're going to attract and keep the small amount of youngsters that have attended the school ticket days and not waste the hard work, time and effort that James puts in to organise - do a better job of selling the club.
Get our player profiles and pictures on the website. Advertise kit sponsorship on there so companies and individuals will be interested in handing over £75 or whatever it costs these days.
Get a card machine in the club shop and advertise the polo shirts, team shirts and mugs online too.
Boro fans are dotted all around the country.
I've got Boro friends who now live in Cheshire and would buy a Boro shirt for their daughter who plays football every week. There's no opportunity to do that unless he makes a 450 mile round trip and has cash in his pocket at the ground.
If I was 10 and came to a game with my classmates. As soon as I got home I'd be looking online to see who the #10 was who scored from 35 yards out. 'Oh that was George Moore... Dad, can we go again next week. George Moore has scored 15 goals this season.. Can my friends from class come with us? `
We're shooting ourselves in the foot and missing what are quite easy opportunities to generate interest and income.

Edited by The Majors Hat at 17:28:42 on 20th March 2023

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Seaside Red25/3/2023 18:24Sat Mar 25 18:24:54 2023In response to Re: Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 487

Spot on Hat.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)20/3/2023 20:55Mon Mar 20 20:55:22 2023In response to Re: Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 626

I agree. Years ago we had an online shop. Not sure why we don’t have one now

By harrowred (RedHarrow)20/3/2023 13:54Mon Mar 20 13:54:10 2023In response to Re: Relegation ?Top of thread

Views: 658

Gosport, Hartley, Dorchester and Yate are now must wins

Previous thread: Gosport by harrowred23/3/2023 11:19Thu Mar 23 11:19:54 2023view thread