Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: New signings by NonLeagueProToday 22:25Today at 22:25:06view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager by Earlsmead part-timer6/5/2023 09:44Sat May 6 09:44:58 2023view thread

Bakes

By Adezeroonie24/3/2023 11:48Fri Mar 24 11:48:32 2023

Views: 1053

I see Bakes will be leaving us. I will miss him. Whatever you think of his decisions he really cares. Over 40 players will have been used by the end of the season. No luck with injuries.

Perhaps the team will pull themselves together and launch a Great Escape as Steve did on his arrival. It would be an appropriate way to go out.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Bakes

By qprboy198917/4/2023 08:46Mon Apr 17 08:46:35 2023In response to BakesTop of thread

Views: 515

I want to thank the Gaffer for a fantastic time. And stewardship that. He has had at the club

for me, it comes down to money and I think attendance has to go up somehow and also promote within as most likely going to have a young team next year or hopefully get some old heads in, get that young lad back from Swindon would be good and the keeper from west ham?

boro has been lucky the last 5 years but maybe going down would be a good thing

up the NON-league

all the best gaffer

By harrowred (RedHarrow)17/4/2023 10:36Mon Apr 17 10:36:14 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 543

No chance Hart or Knightbridge are around next year. With all of the talk and hype around Hart, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him go on loan to a National League side. I know the Swindon head scout said on Twitter that there was lots of interest in him and Swindon might not even be able to keep him themselves.

Knightbridge has certainly had a learning curve this season. Again I would think he would want to push on to the next step up.

I imagine it’ll be 95% a new team. Maybe Drazic, Bloom and Preddie will hang around.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)24/3/2023 11:55Fri Mar 24 11:55:39 2023In response to BakesTop of thread

Views: 903

Agreed. Fingers crossed a good run of form starts on Saturday.

Does anyone have someone in mind that they would like to take over? I imagine Gary Meakin could be a contender if we stay up? Maybe Luke Tuffs who was at Ashford and then Leatherhead. Possibly Mark Bartley if we stay up and Marlow don’t get promotion? Whoever it is, you’d like to think given our track record of managers, it will be a long term appointment.

By The Majors Hat24/3/2023 12:30Fri Mar 24 12:30:12 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 916

8 years is a long tenure managing one club.
Steve is good bloke and a good manager. I'm sure he'll have success at his next club.
We're at a point where a new voice was needed as too many players have underperformed for him on a regular basis.

If we can stay up, the job will be a lot more attractive.
A young hungry manager wanting to make a step up would hold off on their application until they knew which division we are in.

By TOWN COLOURS24/3/2023 12:56Fri Mar 24 12:56:45 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 880

Will miss Steve. He will shortly become the clubs longest serving manager.
He has always been approachable and has done a good job generally. Injuries have obviously messed up his plans for this season. It also cannot be easy getting replacements as some players will not like the long journeys in this league. Losing his assistant at the start of the season will have been a bitter blow.
Wishing him well wherever he goes in the future.
In the meantime I am sure he will be giving everything to try and avoid the drop.

1 person likes this 1 person   

By Adezeroonie24/3/2023 12:40Fri Mar 24 12:40:56 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 920

Some good points there. But that would rule out Sean Preddie. Not sure if he would be interested or an appropriate character but would provide some continuity.

Is there a salary attached? If so, it must be quite small but almost anything is ok for an enjoyable part time job. I know that officially the players wage bill is zero but …. I don’t know 😄

By Earlsmead part-timer24/3/2023 13:21Fri Mar 24 13:21:08 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 843

Yep a top bloke.
Always given 100% for the club and very unlucky this season with injuries.
I wish him well in the future.

By The Majors Hat24/3/2023 12:55Fri Mar 24 12:55:08 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 825

A fresh face / voice is required.

All clubs go stale after a while with the same manager in charge.
Andy Leese left Chesham after a decade and was replaced by two young joint managers.
I'd like to see us follow that route and freshen things up.

By Adezeroonie24/3/2023 12:38Fri Mar 24 12:38:51 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 901

Some good points there. But that would rule out Sean Preddie. Not sure if he would be interested or an appropriate character but would provide some continuity.

Is there a salary attached? If so, it must be quite small but almost anything is ok for an enjoyable part time job. I know that officially the players wage bill is zero but …. I don’t know 😄

By harrowred (RedHarrow)10/4/2023 20:14Mon Apr 10 20:14:26 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 779

Not sure when the process will be over for the new appointment. Word has it some former conference south managers have applied, but with a smaller budget heading into a season at step 4, they might be hard pushed to get players at that level. An experienced step 4 manager might work out better, as they will probably cost less and be able to afford the players they know.

I think it’s expected that the majority of players from this squad will likely leave. Bloom and some other u23s may be kept but looks like it’ll be a whole new team. Preferably I’d like to keep Leonard, Noel Williams, Kai Brosnan and Johnny Allotey. They’re all young and very capable for step 4. Would Ewington be happy to hang around? He dropped to step 4 a couple of times this season. Depending on Shaun Preddies injuries and aims, he may stay on as captain? Apart from that I don’t see anyone else staying.

By The Majors Hat11/4/2023 11:43Tue Apr 11 11:43:27 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 751

Interviews are apparently taking place today.
You'll recognise the former conference south managers, they'll be the ones walking out of the clubhouse laughing after being told the budget for next season.
I look at it as we can go two ways with the appointment.
Experienced older manager who has lots of contacts and can entice the over 30s players who want to play for him.
Raw, young manager who has a lot of energy and ideas. Might struggle to attract any experienced players.
Whichever way the committee decides to go. It needs to be a completely new face.
Time to hit the reset button and start again.
There are some decent players in the 23s who should step up and feature regularly. Keegan and Prince have already done so. I know I'm not alone in not being able to understand why Keegan was regularly benched after being our best defender for several games in a row, whilst more experienced players never lost their spot despite playing consistantly poorly.
I'm sure the club is paying West Ham a couple of hundred a week for Jacob. The U23 keeper looked more than capable when he played for the 1st team last season.
It would be nice to keep a few of the squad around. Sam, Ahmet, Isiah, Kai and Billy can easily play at step 3 so will probably depart.
George could play at step 2. He'd be one of the first names on my favourite all time Boro team. However he shouldn't be anywhere near step 4.
Hopefully he will come back at the end of next season when the open top bus celebrating our promotion back to step 3 goes past his house.
Sometimes in life, things have to get worse before they get better.. Let's use relegation as an opportunity to reset and push on to be better than we are now.

Edited by The Majors Hat at 12:24:11 on 11th April 2023

By The Majors Hat15/4/2023 19:53Sat Apr 15 19:53:19 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 616

I missed Ezra out of my list of step 3 players..
My bad
Borderline step 2 never mind S3

By cappers12/4/2023 12:52Wed Apr 12 12:52:47 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 694

"Let's use relegation as an opportunity to reset and push on to be better than we are now."

The problem with us is that we generally struggle regardless of the level of the league. Back when the Conference North and South was created, we dropped into step 3 and I thought that we might start doing better due to the drop in standard but no, we continued to struggle every season apart from when we made the playoffs one year. Then more recently, when a fourth regional division was added to step 3, I thought we could do a bit better as I thought the level would drop slightly, although perhaps it hasn't. My fear is that we drop in to step 4 and continue to struggle. It won't be an easy league to get promoted from without a half decent budget.

By The Majors Hat13/4/2023 11:25Thu Apr 13 11:25:11 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 643

https://harrowonline.org/2023/03/24/harrow-borough-fc-begins-search-for-manager-as-steve-baker-announces-departure/

The managers 'advert' as quoted from Harrow online..
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced manager to take the reins of a historic Club and lead them to success in the future. Harrow Borough FC is committed to providing a supportive environment for their new manager and players and hopes to attract top talent to their team. With the support of the board, staff, and fans, the new manager will have everything they need to take the club to the next level.
If the budget is going to be cut by £500 a week as is rumoured, the board are catfishing potential managers.
We should be looking at ways to generate more money for the playing budget.
Online shop and kit sponsorship klaxon again!

Will we see white smoke rise from the clubhouse before the weekend?
Appointing someone now and letting them view the last couple of league games would give them a head start when it comes to wanting to keep players.
Obviously, that makes too much sense for it to happen 🤔

By harrowred (RedHarrow)12/4/2023 21:45Wed Apr 12 21:45:48 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 691

I’ve heard what the budget is likely to be and it’s very low compared to our budget at our current level. The new manager will have some hard work to do. Not sure how it compares to other teams at that level. Would be interested to know how it compares to Northwood who are currently making the playoffs

By harrowred (RedHarrow)11/4/2023 14:13Tue Apr 11 14:13:49 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 717

Agreed with a lot of that. I think Lovre Drazic is worth a shout in goal.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)24/3/2023 13:38Fri Mar 24 13:38:59 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 969

I don’t think Shaun Preddie wants the job or would get it.

Perhaps Jordan Berry, who had a short spell with us playing and is now manager of Egham Town (has them 4th in the Combined counties) is a youthful target for us. Other names to consider, Jason Shaw who used to play for Boro and has been manager at Harefield (combined counties) for a number of years now. What about Jason Goodliffe. Ex coach who moved to Stevenage and is now assistant manager at Slough. Would obviously drop down a bit but would become a manager in his own right.

I still think Meakin or Tuffs are the top names to consider (depending on our step status)

By harrowred (RedHarrow)6/5/2023 10:53Sat May 6 10:53:39 2023In response to Re: BakesTop of thread

Views: 392

Ding ding ding - Berry it is.

Previous thread: New Manager by harrowred30/4/2023 19:20Sun Apr 30 19:20:37 2023view thread