Welcome To The Harrow Borough FC Fans Forum

Come on you Reds!

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: New signings by NonLeagueProToday 22:25Today at 22:25:06view thread

Oldest article: Travelling to Harrow Borough by harrowborofcadmin2/4/2015 20:48Thu Apr 2 20:48:03 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Boro receive relegation reprieve and stay in Southern league Premier by The Majors Hat15/5/2023 12:05Mon May 15 12:05:39 2023view thread

Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager

By Earlsmead part-timer6/5/2023 09:44Sat May 6 09:44:58 2023

Views: 767

Welcome Jordan Berry ,our new manager.

I wish him well and hope he can turn the clubs decline around.

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person   

Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager

By The Majors Hat6/5/2023 11:24Sat May 6 11:24:48 2023In response to Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 639

Pleased that they went with the young up and coming manager route.
A successful season at Egham. Will expect a few of their team to pop up at pre season training.
Now, onto the wait to see which division we'll be in next season.
I expect that will play a big part in potential new signings.
Onwards and upwards

By Not A Mong6/5/2023 12:16Sat May 6 12:16:32 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 680

A slightly eyebrow-raising appointment.
Nothing wrong with it from Borough's viewpoint, but a vaguely strange choice of career path from Mr. Berry himself.

He joins a relatively stable club, but undeniably one in slow decline and which has little chance of making significant progress in the foreseeable future.
Almost all of London's traditionally big (ish) non-league clubs are in slow decline, as are many former giants in other large metropolitan areas.

Egham have just narrowly failed to win promotion: finishing as runners-up in their Combined Counties division but losing out on points-per-game to a club in the other section, then losing to plummeting Merstham in an inter-division play-off.

It must be very frustrating for a manager to build a squad of promotion calibre, on a reasonable budget, in a "one up" league, then find another club in the division has turned into Moneybags FC and is highly likely to romp the league - as Ascot seem to have done in Egham's division this season.

However, I would have thought Egham would be more of a shop window for a young manager like Mr. Berry to advertise himself - perhaps to the sugar daddy at the next commuter belt Moneybags FC - than Harrow. Perhaps there were unsettling budget rumours at Egham. Perhaps someone else in their division has already come into money and is set to cruise to the title in 23/24.

He's joining a club that doesn't yet know which division it will be playing in.
It always concerns me when an incoming manager does that.
I doubt Southend United will be the only club with nasty rumblings coming from the foundations in the next month, so a Step 3 reprieve for Borough remains possible.

Anyway, good luck to Mr. Berry.

Edited by Not A Mong at 12:19:56 on 6th May 2023

By harrowred (RedHarrow)6/5/2023 13:13Sat May 6 13:13:22 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 714

Joining a stable club in terms of managers should work will for Berry. He will only be our 5th manager this millennium. He will be given time. Another season and perhaps promotion at Egham would of course look good but he will obviously feel like and be confident that he can do a similar job with Harrow and reach the upper part of the Isthmian South Central.

I imagine he may have been chosen over some other candidates because as a young manager, he may not cost a lot in terms of wages himself. That in itself might allow him to spend more on players.

By Middx Wanderer6/5/2023 12:44Sat May 6 12:44:23 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 659

Maybe you are not a mong, but..

I do not think there is any chance of a reprieve as 4 clubs at step 3 or above will have to drop out for Boro go be given a reprieve .

I think unless a very unlikely shake up at step 4 happens we will be in the Isthmian League South Central.

Also, you are wearing your Hendon /Wealdstone goggles if you seriously think Managing Egham is a better shop window for a young manager than Managing Boro at step 4.

By Not A Mong6/5/2023 13:45Sat May 6 13:45:38 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 697

You're probably correct on the chances of a reprieve.
I admit I am not sure what the regulations are on reprieves.
I'm sure the various committees do not make them up as they go along.
Generally they are decided across all divisions at any level where a reprieve is to be granted. However, there seem to have been cases where reprieves have been granted to clubs in the same league/division as the deceased club, without regard to other leagues at that level on the pyramid. There are some rumblings of discontent coming out of Imber Court at the moment; even some suggestions that Met Police FC may fold (I don't see that).

Obviously Harrow Borough would normally be a better place to showcase managerial talent than Egham Town, but not under circumstances where Egham - or Ascot United or Hanworth Villa (or Concord Rangers or Hashtag United or Walton & Hersham) - have a budget that might well get them up.
Keeping Borough at Step 3 might be a harder task than winning lower level titles with cochelled-up outfits like Croydon Athletic, Peacehaven & Telscombe or Thamesmead, but managers at such clubs get more credit and more publicity.

Edited by Not A Mong at 13:55:15 on 6th May 2023

By The Majors Hat6/5/2023 12:05Sat May 6 12:05:18 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 1194

https://fulltime.thefa.com/displayTeam.html?id=617557871#tab-2

Player stats from Egham Town this season.
Excellence Muhemba who previously played for us was top scorer with 29 goals.

It also lists James Ewington as having played 4 games for them. Harrow. Kings Langley. Ware. Egham. Tilbury. Harrow. Hopefully he sticks around for the start of the season.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)6/5/2023 13:06Sat May 6 13:06:20 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 677

I’d imagine Reece Yorke and Stefan Powell will be names to watch as well as Campion, Talla and Neale who also had good goalscoring records last season for Egham.

Kyle Watson also a name to watch.

I hope he can persuade Leonard, Noel-Williams and Brosnan to stay as I think they would be good players at Step 4.

By The Majors Hat8/5/2023 16:42Mon May 8 16:42:17 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 563

Watched the highlights from Egham's last league game v Oxhey Jets.
Talla #11 looked more than decent and Excellence scored 4 after coming on as sub. When he was briefly with us a few seasons ago, I seem to remember he was coming back from a knee injury and was restricted to short appearances off the bench?
https://youtu.be/aCRGFwCebFE

By The Majors Hat12/5/2023 12:15Fri May 12 12:15:37 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 434

Looks like the signings are starting to happen.
A friend was speaking to Lonit Talla's dad at a QPR B team game earlier in the week (his younger brother Lorent plays for QPR B) and he said that Lonit has left Egham and gone to Harrow Borough to play for Jordan and 'several' of his Egham teammates are also signing.

Edited by The Majors Hat at 12:17:18 on 12th May 2023

By harrowred (RedHarrow)6/5/2023 19:09Sat May 6 19:09:49 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 652

Drazic
Bloom, Kandolo, Yorke, Watson
Leonard, Noel-Williams, Powell
Brosnan, Ewington, Campion

Wouldn’t be a bad team for step 4!

By cappers8/5/2023 21:05Mon May 8 21:05:14 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 502

I'm okay with the appointment. I don't mind giving a young up and coming manager a chance. It's nice that he's played for us as well.

I'm not overly keen on this idea of raiding Egham to sign their best players. I suppose it could be argued that it's a dog eat dog world and we need to strengthen our squad even if it means hurting another club. But also, someone on this thread said that Egham had a big budget. Would we even be able to afford their best players?

I remember when Howell left, he took a fair few members of our successful play-off achieving squad with him to St Albans and I remember arguing the point at the time that the players that went with him would rather play for a new club but with the same manager that they get on well with rather than playing for the same club but with a new manager. So maybe it will be the same with the Egham players especially as they would get the chance to play at a higher level.

I reckon it will be harder to get promoted from Step 4 than it is to stay up in Step 3. Again in this forum, it had been mentioned that Ascot bought their way to the league, so presumably we'll be playing them next season so I doubt we'll come above them for a start.

By The Majors Hat9/5/2023 11:10Tue May 9 11:10:09 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 505

It's always been the way at step 3 and below that players follow a manager to their new clubs.
It's about time Boro were a bit more ruthless when it comes to the playing side of things.
What's most impressive from the interview with Jordan is that his first season in charge at Egham he took over once pre season had already started and had only 7 players at his first training session. Despite this, they finished third.
I'm sure he already knows who he wants to bring with him from Egham's squad. Even if they had a decent step 5 budget - it won't be putting off players following their gaffer and making a step up at the same time.
The interesting part is going to see who if anybody from this seasons squad stays around.
I can imagine a scenario where a few come back at the start of the season having not got any offers to stay at step 3.
The last 6 weeks of the season it was almost impossible to get enthusiastic about going watch Boro play.
Now, it's already at the 'bring on the pre season friendlies' stage.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)9/5/2023 21:02Tue May 9 21:02:26 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 492

Some fair points all around.

We should be raiding Eghams squad, if some of those players are good enough for Step 4. If Egham did have a large budget, then those players probably dropped to Step 5 for the money, meaning they are probably better than Step 5. I believe Ascot had a former striker of ours upfront who scored loads. Brendan Matthews I think.

I believe one or two also dropped from Step 3 and down because they didn’t want to travel at Step 3 or commit to it. Perhaps step 4 would be fine for them.

Seems from the interview and on social media, JB has many friends and contacts in the game. He seems to know or know of Billy Leonard and I hope can convince him to stay. One or two others would be good to keep around too in my opinion. Ewington, though not having a top season this year, would/should be dangerous at step 4. Bloom and Kandolo should be kept around and Preddie might suit step 4 with less travelling and his injury record. I think Jaden Sharman could stick too if JB wants him. I’m hoping Brosnan and Noel-Williams will stay too.

Interesting to hear some of the other names who were interviewed and didn’t get the job. Would like to be able to see Boro in a few parallel worlds next season!

By The Majors Hat9/5/2023 21:27Tue May 9 21:27:22 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 490

Just looked at Ascot's stats.
Brendan Matthew scored 46 goals for them in 50 games.
Blimey. He looked out of his depth when he played for us 2 seasons ago.
Either he's improved a hell of a lot as a player or there are some very poor sides at step 5.
If he has suddenly become Dixie Dean in the last 9 months - Ascot won't be able to hold onto him, despite going up.

By harrowred (RedHarrow)10/5/2023 06:51Wed May 10 06:51:58 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 431

My guess is that he doesn’t want to travel as much and is getting paid probably more at Ascot then he is for step 3 teams.

I guess the same could be said about Muhemba some what. Whilst still quite raw when at Boro, his development may have come on a bit rather than the step being too poor. I guess we might see at step 4 in a few months time.

I hope the club keeps us up to date with organised friendlies and players who have signed. Sometimes we plod along to the first game of the season without really knowing.

By John Rogers8/5/2023 23:03Mon May 8 23:03:19 2023In response to Re: Welcome Jordan Berry - New Manager Top of thread

Views: 551

I guess time will tell, but this feels like a good appointment. A young, up and coming manager that knows the club and probably has a pretty good idea of players at Step 3.

Had it been Hendon in your situation, I think I'd have been pushing for a similar hungry appointment. Someone with something to prove rather than an old-timer that wanted a budget to guarantee promotion.

I'll try and get down to a few games when you're playing and Hendon aren't next season, I have so much fondness for Harrow given the way Peter and co helped us when we shared with you. Wishing you well, and a speedy return to Step 3!

Previous thread: Bakes by Adezeroonie24/3/2023 11:48Fri Mar 24 11:48:32 2023view thread