Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Season tickets by mark-nbfcToday 09:46Today at 09:46:56view thread

Oldest article: 6 months till new season by 2B/5E18/1 18:31Thu Jan 18 18:31:20 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Leamington by Denman18/1 21:40Thu Jan 18 21:40:04 2024view thread

Obituary

By Unnamed Sauce ((Dysfunctional sector))18/1 19:30Thu Jan 18 19:30:14 2024

Views: 890

Quite a few of you know me. By name. To talk to. You'll know that I am rarely lost for words. However this situation has increasingly left me unable to summarise accurately the actions of those various idiots and delusional characters who have brought us to this. Or to articulate my feelings over what feels like the loss of a family member. I've lost an old friend. it really hurts. This is bereavement.

I was a latecomer. I started following the Boro' in about 1988. Sporadically at first. Eventually a regular home and away. A season ticket holder. A founder member of NBST. A shareholder. A life member of the co-op. What drew me in initially was potential ( VoR will like that). I sensed that here was a little club with the catchment and support to actually achieve something.

What held me there was cameraderie and a sense of the underdog triumphing over adversity.

I was wholly disillusioned with League football when i "crossed over " and so I started Groundhopping. My dad and Grandad were both born in Nuneaton so I was drawn to the club anyway. Manor Park was run down but there was an indefinable atmosphere about the place. The CABE remains one of my happiest football memories. Boy, I did some major jumping up and down in there.

I was hooked. Like many of you I travelled home and away with members of my family, catching the bug. Far and wide. Truro. Dartford. Yeovil. Dorchester. Barrow, Swansea. Scarborough. Lincoln, Kings Lynn. Distance seemed immaterial. I watched the Boro' at what were basically league grounds at Luton, at Doncaster, Grimsby and Bristol Rovers. At Stockport, Bournemouth, Dagenham, Middlesbrough, Stoke and Torquay. They were good times. We had real fun.

Now this is over, I am left with an overwhelming feeling of bitterness. Real, genuine resentment towards those individuals who considered themselves businessmen but who actually had the organisational skills of a tablecloth. Deluded, conceited men who saw the local football club as a toy: a plaything, rather than the beloved shared possession of many ordinary people. I will never EVER forgive them for what they did and what they have taken away from us. And Saturdays will never EVER feel the same.

reply to this article | return to the front page

8 people like this 8 people

Next article in this thread: Re: Obituary by VoR18/1 19:46Thu Jan 18 19:46:28 2024