Return to front page

Newest article: Coach Tickets Available! by LHYesterday 15:02Yesterday at 15:02:31view thread

Oldest article: Fao Mark by Armchair vulture24/1 16:50Wed Jan 24 16:50:07 2024view thread

MenuSearch

Reply to "Speculation"

You must log in or register before you can post an article

return to the front page

Speculation

By Blue Beret20/2 00:44Tue Feb 20 00:44:49 2024

Views: 1268

Well, it has been fascinating to read here of opinions, discussion, rumours, gossip, hearsay, whispers, tittle-tattle, the word on the street, the buzz, and even scandal.
That's just the way is should be on a football website. Show me two Boro' fans and I'll show you four opinions.

I'm reminded of an 'exchange of views' one Monday evening at Manor Park in the 1970's.
The scene: the Cock and Bear end for a Midland Floodlit Cup game.

Remember, this is way before the internet days. The Trib. would have been put to bed earlier, and only the most basic information would have appeared in the stop press.

First Fan: Who's this bloody Barton Rovers the Boro' have got in the Cup?
Second fan: It's Barton on 'umber, near 'ull.
Third fan: Its ain't. It's Barton's Buses. It's the buzz team.
Second fan: It ain't the bloody buzz team. It's Barton on 'umber, near 'ull.
Third fan: It's the buzz team. Barton's buzzes. They've got a lot o' buzzes. They'll have a good team.
Second fan: It's Barton on 'umber, near 'ull.
Me: (tentatively) I think you might find it's Barton in the Clay in Bedfordshire.
All: Don't be daft. Barton in the Clay, never 'eard of 'em. What's he on abaht? etc etc.

So, sure enough, we are filing into the away ground less that two weeks later.
Mort Burch is already in place, ready to phone in his report to the 'Pink'.
He's sitting in a deck chair on the roof of their clubhouse, desperately trying to hold down the telephone receiver which is threatening to blow away from its cradle in the autumn wind.

And hundreds of Boro' fans are given a right royal welcome from Barton Rovers - in the Clay - in Bedfordshire.
It's nice to be right occasionally.