ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: THE GOAL to be savoured. by VS TownYesterday 22:00Yesterday at 22:00:42view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator14/2/2015 11:54Sat Feb 14 11:54:00 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Nostalga by VS Vale13/6 12:31Wed Jun 13 12:31:01 2018view thread

Coop Conversation With Mr. Smurthwaite

By Brucey5/6 14:18Tue Jun 5 14:18:30 2018

Views: 2449

https://nuneatontownsupporterscoop.com/2018/06/05/coop-conversation-with-mr-norman-smurthwaite/

reply to this article | return to the front page

Nine (and four) days on.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)14/6 09:41Thu Jun 14 09:41:04 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 444

The sale of the stadium will at this point, allow for the club to meet the current liabilities required for it to retain it’s status within the division. Once this has been done, an interim person has been identified by Mr. Thorn to run the Borough,

"Further to this we have been asked to assure fans that Season Ticket prices, a new kit and managerial appointment are all due to be confirmed in the next week."

I acknowledge the week is not over, but what have we learnt
* Two/three players have left - Mainly/solely from other clubs
* Friendlies discovered - Mainly/solely from other clubs

I really cant understand how anyone can get any comfort from "no news"

Re: Nine (and four) days on.

By Greg (NBFC)14/6 13:48Thu Jun 14 13:48:48 2018In response to Nine (and four) days on.Top of thread

Views: 340

I don't think anyone gets comfort from the lack of communication - I certainly don't. On the other hand, I don't see it as an impending disaster either. It's just the club not making announcements.

By Hullablue14/6 10:12Thu Jun 14 10:12:59 2018In response to Nine (and four) days on.Top of thread

Views: 418

Can you really not understand it, or do you just not agree?

I would rather the club had something concrete to say and then say it.

I am happy to wait for that.

Is the cat inside the box dead? Is it alive? Let's wait and see.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not interested in your opinion" Tommy Wright, after 6-3 defeat at Blyth.

By Greg (NBFC)14/6 13:41Thu Jun 14 13:41:58 2018In response to Re: Nine (and four) days on.Top of thread

Views: 336

"Is the cat inside the box dead? Is it alive?"

Yes.

By stone ragma14/6 13:46Thu Jun 14 13:46:16 2018In response to Re: Nine (and four) days on.Top of thread

Views: 364

It’s on life support

By ,shifter (Shifter)14/6 10:29Thu Jun 14 10:29:49 2018In response to Re: Nine (and four) days on.Top of thread

Views: 390

“ I would rather the club had something to say and then say it”

Some would argue we no longer have a club,LT doesn’t do statements who else is there to prop the fans up ?

This cat in the box ,shouldn’t that be Jack in the box ?
Nah ,the club is still sinking,no evidence to suggest otherwise.

By Hullablue14/6 10:46Thu Jun 14 10:46:41 2018In response to Re: Nine (and four) days on.Top of thread

Views: 374

There is no argument I have seen that says we have no club. Who would argue we have no club? What reasoning would they use?

Did you miss LT's statement a few weeks ago?

Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. Smurthwaite

By Fromage13/6 21:51Wed Jun 13 21:51:57 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 464

Members of our board will be meeting with Mr. Smurthwaite once the deal has gone through for the stadium and the club, and it’s position in the National League has been confirmed. During this meeting we will look to finalise a price for the sale of the club, so we can begin the process of fundraising. With these figures agreed upon, a full business plan and prospectus will be released to support the fundraising.

It reads as if his intention was to buy the club and stadium, then negotiate the price of the club to the Co-Op.

By mark-nbfc6/6 13:30Wed Jun 6 13:30:23 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1190

I went on BBC CWR last night to speak about the current situation at the Boro, what we (Co-op) know and what the options are for us. The interview is at 50 mins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p067s729

Consider this another announcement Larry!

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

Edited by mark-nbfc at 13:31:21 on 6th June 2018
Edited by mark-nbfc at 14:51:50 on 6th June 2018

By Larry6/6 14:42Wed Jun 6 14:42:00 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1062

Link doesn't work.

Has something happened yet?

By mark-nbfc6/6 14:52Wed Jun 6 14:52:24 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1056

Correct link now there.

Things are always happening Larry, lots of things.

---

By Larry6/6 15:04Wed Jun 6 15:04:06 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1062

Well I listened and still none the wiser as to what has actually happened.

But anyway glad things are happening.

Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's ground

By mark-nbfc5/6 19:06Tue Jun 5 19:06:20 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1728

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vales-norman-smurthwaite-plans-1643865

---

Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's ground

By Eileen Dover6/6 08:35Wed Jun 6 08:35:03 2018In response to Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1201

It also appears that in the last 24 hours, his plans to sell Port Vale have fallen through.
If he does manage to take over Liberty Way, I wonder if he plans to develop the ground.

Last month, Port Vale applied for planning permission for apartments in the corner of the Lorne Street and Hamil Road stands.
The apartments would be part of a new building which will also house groundsman's accommodation at pitch level, a new control room and first aid provision on the ground floor and then three further floors of flats.

Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's ground

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)6/6 09:23Wed Jun 6 09:23:18 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1147

So plans have not gone as expected.

Not sure the gain by developing the ground.

Edited by VS Boro at 09:24:25 on 6th June 2018

By bert's dad6/6 09:43Wed Jun 6 09:43:46 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1127

developing the ground is needed - fans deserve a better experience and are more likely return. developments could be as little as better lighting, better sound system, better toilet facilities.

By Lord of the Manor6/6 09:49Wed Jun 6 09:49:25 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1173

He's not going to develop the ground .... as he said in his statement he'll buy the land and what they do with the money is up to them....

We'll pay rent,the rugby club will pay rent aswell as playing as many games on the pitch as they want ....

Good investment for him, BIMO terrible for the long term stability of the club .......

Short term answer to a long term problem

By Hullablue6/6 10:59Wed Jun 6 10:59:35 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1098

Totally understand your reasoning for it being a bad move.
Let's hope something is sorted to see really close ties between the ground and the club.

By bert's dad6/6 08:39Wed Jun 6 08:39:50 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1172

Don’t think there’s much demand for apartments at Liberty Way

By Eileen Dover6/6 08:54Wed Jun 6 08:54:57 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1156

Dont think that I mentioned flats being built at Liberty Way.
I just gave an example of what was happening at Vale Park

Edited by Eileen Dover at 08:55:18 on 6th June 2018

By bert's dad6/6 09:41Wed Jun 6 09:41:49 2018In response to Re: Port Vale's Norman Smurthwaite on why he plans to buy Nuneaton Town's groundTop of thread

Views: 1121

I was joking

By grimesy5/6 15:14Tue Jun 5 15:14:22 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1793

Great news i think i am right in saying most of us were expecting to be removed on Friday and having no club next season but at least we still have our club and the real work starts now to make sure we keep it.

2 people like this 2 people

By mark-nbfc5/6 15:29Tue Jun 5 15:29:16 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1730

Spot on Grimesy, especially the 'real work starts now' part of it.

---

1 person likes this 1 person

By Eileen Dover5/6 15:40Tue Jun 5 15:40:34 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1702

Not sure if anyone on here is aware of the fact that Mr. Smurthwaite is currently in talks with potential buyers for the sale of Port Vale FC.
Mr. Smurthwaite is a Radford, Coventry born self made businessman who bought his first house at the age of 16, following compensation received due to an industrial accident sustained whilst working at Dunlop

By almost average 25/6 15:45Tue Jun 5 15:45:57 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1664

So your saying he might well be looking for another club and maybe one local to him would suite .

By Eileen Dover5/6 16:22Tue Jun 5 16:22:34 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1601

No, I didnt say that he could be looking for another club, purely coincidental that he's looking to sell PVFC with buying Liberty Way

By Brucey5/6 15:48Tue Jun 5 15:48:39 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1644

Let me clarify, that in the conversation with him, he never once mentioned this as his intention. He was solely interested in buying the ground, and that the community would come in and run the Borough.

By Dougie85/6 15:56Tue Jun 5 15:56:05 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1616

Will the backers the Co-op had who would help to finance once they had bought the club, now come on board.

By Brucey5/6 16:09Tue Jun 5 16:09:48 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1602

That's one of many conversations we will be having.

By mark-nbfc5/6 15:42Tue Jun 5 15:42:45 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1655

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Smurthwaite

---

By shepherd4life (coven4life)5/6 14:51Tue Jun 5 14:51:08 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1754

Surely this doesn't solve the issue of buying the actual club though and then funding it's day to day costs?

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 16:42Tue Jun 5 16:42:02 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1538

My thoughts also

UNLESS the sale of ground means LT has funds for the moment to finance the club.

By Hullablue5/6 16:45Tue Jun 5 16:45:53 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1524

I really doubt LT will have anything to do with the club from now on.

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 16:54Tue Jun 5 16:54:23 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1521

Maybe, but until sold he is responsible for finances and the like.

By Hullablue5/6 16:56Tue Jun 5 16:56:54 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1513

Awww, how sweet.

By boropod (BoroughPod)5/6 17:52Tue Jun 5 17:52:56 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1431

If I were to appoint someone in my abscence to run a club I own on my behalf, then I would definitley still have something to do with the club.

By Hullablue5/6 17:58Tue Jun 5 17:58:47 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1411

Of course you would.

By boropod (BoroughPod)5/6 18:05Tue Jun 5 18:05:26 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1401

So why did you say "I really doubt LT will have anything to do with the club from now on".

By Hullablue5/6 18:07Tue Jun 5 18:07:22 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1421

Because I really doubt LT will have anything to do with the club from now on.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on that one.

Edited by Hullablue at 18:21:40 on 5th June 2018

By boropod (BoroughPod)5/6 18:09Tue Jun 5 18:09:50 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1407

Who is LG

By Hullablue5/6 18:21Tue Jun 5 18:21:20 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1404

Fat fingered typo.
Changing now.

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 14:40Tue Jun 5 14:40:29 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1764

Wow - to say I am suprised is an underestimate.

Can only skim through, but (if read correct) he will be buying Boro stadiums and the coop to buy Boro Leisure.
He can’t buy Boro Leisure because of the, previously stated “two club rule” (can’t have influence over two clubs that may meet each other in fa competition).

Not sure how the football club will operate next season.

If someone read properly then happy to be corrected.

By Hullablue5/6 14:46Tue Jun 5 14:46:39 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1710

I think he can own but cannot control. As previously discussed on here.

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 15:00Tue Jun 5 15:00:43 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1678

FA rule

I am not either directly involved in or have the power to determine of influence the management or administration of another football club against which the club may play fixtures in any competition sanctioned by the association

not cut and paste, so typo's may exist.

By Larry5/6 20:06Tue Jun 5 20:06:16 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1268

Maybe that will be dealt with in the next non annoucement announcement?

By stone ragma5/6 20:58Tue Jun 5 20:58:26 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1191

Sounding bitter there Larry !

By Larry5/6 21:15Tue Jun 5 21:15:57 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1187

As a fifth generation supporter I’d be very pleased if this incarnation of the various clubs continues.

However I’m struggling to see what has actually happened. Some might say today’s statement is premature to say the least. Maybe there will be genuinely better news before the AGM?

By longtimeblue5/6 15:13Tue Jun 5 15:13:14 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1665

Hope it works out. But this is the man who banned Port Vale Community Trust and of whom Mickey Adams said 'that Smurthwaite was all talk and no action (allegedly). Sound familiar?

By almost average 25/6 15:22Tue Jun 5 15:22:04 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1658

To be honest without this development , at best we would have been playing a long way down the pyramid next season at worst we wouldn't have been . I think we should at least give him a chance before getting the knives out . Just relieved to still be playing at this point .

Which League

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 13:07Wed Jun 6 13:07:31 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1158

I am a bit more confident that football will be played at Liberty Way next season, but I am still sceptical that it will be in the conf-north, but have hope that we may actually play Tamworth over the festive period after all.

Whilst I assume most/all would rather be in Conf-North perhaps the new midland division may be better?
* Lower costs
* More chance of competing. Winning now and then in a lower league is better than losing regular in a higher league?
* Probably easier to find players as more non-contract and part time.
* May devalue the value of Boro-Leisure.
* Would give "whoever" time to get finances sorted.

Re: Which League

By Brucey6/6 19:44Wed Jun 6 19:44:01 2018In response to Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 804

Having spoke to people who work in the league system my understanding is that a one league drop isnt possible, so unless Tamuff do a Boro, then your christmas is cancelled.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 20:07Wed Jun 6 20:07:35 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 738

so, if a club gets kicked out then a league will run with one club fewer?

By Hullablue6/6 20:18Wed Jun 6 20:18:03 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 740

Not sure how you surmised that.
If, for example, Southport went bump, Trinity would be reprieved.
There would be a trickle down effect on lower leagues, may be only stopping when a Southport Phoenix club took up a place.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 20:22Wed Jun 6 20:22:16 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 729

Ok - see that

Had not thought of ripple effect

Having said that, the lowest league would be one short - so I was right 😀😀😀😀😀😀

Edited by VS Boro at 20:24:01 on 6th June 2018

By Hullablue6/6 20:24Wed Jun 6 20:24:37 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 710

Unless a new club filled the gap.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 20:32Wed Jun 6 20:32:27 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 689

There are instances though (not with new level 7 obviously)

Pretty sure clubs been kicked out and either entered north/south or even kicked out of national and ended up in northern or southern leagues.

I know some rules cover all three conf leagues. That is - if kicked out of national then can’t play in north/south
Also - I think if conf expell a club then it’s decision of lower league (or maybe fa).

Rules and implementation keeps changing and I am sure there will be presidents that satisfy both.

By Hullablue6/6 20:50Wed Jun 6 20:50:58 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 670

But Brucey said the coop had checked and a one div demotion for Boro was not possible.

By almost average 26/6 20:39Wed Jun 6 20:39:05 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 699

If we asked to be demoted it's possible the FA may allow us a one of two level drop .
If were kicked out then it's a case of where there's a gap , taking into account the state the clubs in . Keeping your ground is vital to this and it would be somewhere between step 5 & 7 most likely .

By bert's dad6/6 21:33Wed Jun 6 21:33:48 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 671

Or we could get relegated or promoted next season 😋

By almost average 27/6 07:59Thu Jun 7 07:59:36 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 605

One's certainly a very strong possibility anyway .

By Hullablue7/6 08:09Thu Jun 7 08:09:23 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 588

That's the sort of confidence I like to see.

Eh?

Oh!

By Hullablue6/6 20:54Wed Jun 6 20:54:50 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 674

Is it actually possible to get a one division demotion, or are you guessing?

By almost average 27/6 07:58Thu Jun 7 07:58:30 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 601

The FA are a bit of a law to themselves on this and do seem to make it up on a case by case basis . A site i read where they discuss this sort of stuff are always up in arms over the inconsistencies .
I'll try and answer
1 , It's certainly possible to take a one level demotion if you ask for it . Both Rainworth MW & Heanor Town asked for a one level demotion this season . Both finished mid-table step 5 & have been placed at step 6 next season .
2 , If your thrown out of your league i'm 80% the current procedure is to place you at the lowest level of the next league down . That would be a two level drop for us to step 4 . Other unknown factors could come into play on this .
3 , If you fold and reform your at the mercy of the FA . A number of different factors come into to play to determine were your placed . Recent precedent ( Hereford , Salisbury , Darlo ) would be step 5 at best . Ilkeston got step 6 , but they kept the use of their ground and had a money man come on board . If we lost the use of LW then i'd say step 7 at best if we could find a suitable alternative .

By Hullablue7/6 08:08Thu Jun 7 08:08:39 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 573

1, neither of those clubs are in National league and both asked for it before the agm. That makes the situation very different to what people are worried about. I do not think Boro will be asking for a demotion. Which again makes it very different.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 21:02Wed Jun 6 21:02:27 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 695

http://www.hungerfordtown.com/news/salisbury-city-get-demoted-from-the-conference-to-144514.html

Pretty sure There are other instances.

Kettering

re of Kettering Town was bleak, to say the least. Demoted two divisions from the National League, the club was already stranded at the bottom of the Southern League Premier Division

Pretty sure same for Darlington, Hereford and rushden but once kicked out of conference they folded and could not take up place in a lower league

Boston were denied entry to conference and went straight to NPL

Kings Lynnhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Football_Conference

Edited by VS Boro at 21:09:43 on 6th June 2018
Edited by VS Boro at 21:26:45 on 6th June 2018

By Hullablue6/6 21:13Wed Jun 6 21:13:14 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 663

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/nuneaton/article/291827

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 21:17Wed Jun 6 21:17:51 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 637

Any?
......“My understanding....”

And my understanding is there has been plenty of examples when clubs have dropped out of one of the three conference leagues into a feeder league.

By Hullablue6/6 21:24Wed Jun 6 21:24:45 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 640

But this season the understanding is that will not happen.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 20:47Wed Jun 6 20:47:18 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 675

Let’s hope NS and LT can do enough to satisfy the league by AGM and the league have enough confidence the club will see the season out AND NS can get assurance he can purchase the ground (I can’t see a issue)

If they fail, on any count, I can’t see the league letting Boro stay. My hope was if the conference had a doubt, the next league may have more confidence.

Most/every report I have read that feature NS he has indicated that the clubs membership of conference was not assured.

By Fromage6/6 21:11Wed Jun 6 21:11:06 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 666

I think the League might want to know the football club can pay the rent.

By Hullablue6/6 21:16Wed Jun 6 21:16:03 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 645

Just Boro or all clubs in the league?

By Fromage6/6 21:20Wed Jun 6 21:20:05 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 655

I'd have thought all were required to, including Boro?

By Hullablue6/6 21:26Wed Jun 6 21:26:04 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 653

Yup, so Boro no different to anyone there.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 21:34Wed Jun 6 21:34:51 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 670

Have you read there may be new owners of the ground. Is the current agreement in writing and guaranteed by the new owner in writing? Is there guarantees that the "engagement" will end in marriage?

have other clubs got winding up orders?
have all clubs submitted a budget that satisfies the league (I believe a requirement)
have any other club (pretty much accepted as fact) not paid players over the season.

Its one thing to say "all equal" (technically true), but each looked at on merit. If not, how come league has demanded a bond from some clubs and not others.

The league will want proof of a lot of things.

He hopes the deal will be approved by the EFL this week in time for Nuneaton to be accepted for next season at the National League North’s own annual meeting on Friday.

Also, some denied that he could be involved in two football clubs. He himself has stated that is not possible and even ownership of the ground needs permission.

Edited by VS Boro at 21:37:52 on 6th June 2018

By Hullablue6/6 21:49Wed Jun 6 21:49:16 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 634

If permission is granted that means it is possible.

I have read all sort of stuff, some with 100% conviction.
It doesn't matter two hits what I have read. The league will seek the same assurances from every club.
Boro are no different.
If they don't get those assurances, that is another matter.

I dont think the conference will rely on hearsay, they will want proven facts.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 21:59Wed Jun 6 21:59:16 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 631

I dont think the conference will rely on hearsay, they will want proven facts.

spot on.
They will know if players were not paid
They will know all details about winding up order(s).
They will know real reason behind boston postponement.
They will know budget for next season, and whether feasible.
They will know if take over of ground is legally binding, and any promises from that will be fulfilled.
They will know what unpaid debts there are and not a concern.
They will know if the ground has a safety certificate.

Knowing all this (and a host of other things) they will make a judgement.

I thought comments on here (and calls) made will hurt the cause?

quotes attributed to GS - clearly indicating there are questions about boro remaining in the league

Smurthwaite says he was approached by Nuneaton’s owner to buy their Liberty Way stadium to help the club out of financial problems so they can stay in the National League North.

He hopes the deal will be approved by the EFL this week in time for Nuneaton to be accepted for next season at the National League North’s own annual meeting on Friday.

Not aware of any other clubs who have so many uncertainties.

By Larry6/6 23:33Wed Jun 6 23:33:04 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 664

And nothing has actually happened yet but let’s wait and see what happens on Friday.

By Hullablue7/6 07:23Thu Jun 7 07:23:01 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 606

Lots has happened.
I get the feeling you are waiting for something specific to happen though.

By Hullablue6/6 22:18Wed Jun 6 22:18:45 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 669

What percentage chance do you give Boro being a national north side after the AGM?

I have spoken with some Boro fans who are open about the fact they want to club to die and start again.
I understand why they think that is for the best, but I disagree.

As an aside, if the national league really had a worry about Boro I would have thought it would be mentioned on the agenda, and I don't think it is.

Would be most unfair to AOB an eviction decision without letting members have time to examine the case.

Anyway, I am hoping all this doom and gloom talk of the last 6 weeks or so comes to nothing.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)7/6 09:10Thu Jun 7 09:10:38 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 631

As an aside, if the national league really had a worry about Boro I would have thought it would be mentioned on the agenda, and I don't think it is.

Not at all. In fact I would be surprised if mentioned.

The league management will check that all criteria have been met and that they are satisfied there are no concerns upto any deadline date. This will be for all clubs.

If any issues outstanding (after agenda issued) then they will present their findings and ask for a vote.

GS has stated that he hope things will be sorted in time for the agm so the league is satisfied.

By Hullablue7/6 10:09Thu Jun 7 10:09:54 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 649

Agenda was issued this week. I think if there was an issue those attending would know.

By boropod (BoroughPod)7/6 07:21Thu Jun 7 07:21:14 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 615

Personally I'm feeling more confident.
The last thing I want is fpor the co-op to start a phoenix club in Griffs league and groundsharing elewhere. I really dont want to be part of that.
Even if the club is run on a shoestring next season and we go down, we'll still have a half decent stadium to play in (if all goes to the current plan) and hopefully end up community owned (whatever that really means).
Far better that IMO than being stuck at far lower levels for years with no home.

By Hullablue6/6 13:09Wed Jun 6 13:09:18 2018In response to Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1098

Do you think we will be demoted or we will ask for demotion?

By ,shifter (Shifter)6/6 13:36Wed Jun 6 13:36:43 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1044

Demotion to a lower league ,just another part of LT five year plan ?
Whatever happens now will be anyone’s guess,LT fingerprints all over everything Boro.

The bloke with a veil covering the Vale will take Boro a few steps forward perhaps,it’s those backward steps that cause the most grief,plenty of those to come no doubt.
Will loan players from PV come Boro way ? No doubt about it.
Seems now will only be one winner in all this ...LT ,that is a real piss me off completely scenario.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 13:40Wed Jun 6 13:40:04 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1066

I acknowledge the argument that LT could have done this better, but not fully on board with that (certainly not from a business perspective).

However - I am still not sure what LT did wrong during his tenure. Seems he was propping up the business by £50,000pa. Could anyone have increased income by that (or reduced expenditure). I am not convinced.

Also, not sure how LT is the winner?
Do you expect him to walk away with more money than he has put in?

Edited by VS Boro at 14:25:07 on 6th June 2018

By almost average 26/6 16:24Wed Jun 6 16:24:41 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 918

I suppose i'm being naive but to me owning running a football club is a labour of love . It's a bit like being a fan you pay your money and the repayment is the good times if you're lucky enough to have them . These people now days put in some money but seem to want every penny of it back when they leave , which then puts the clubs they ' Love ' in almost impossible positions . Imagine if the owners of Man City , FGR , Salford , Brackley or who ever left and said right i've funded the club but every penny was a loan and i want it back . He hasn't put any money into the club out of love for it , it's all been to make him money . It might not have worked to the extent he hoped , but he's going to walk away ok , while the clubs going to be left in a right old mess .

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 16:34Wed Jun 6 16:34:34 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 899

I really don’t think he expected to make money - if so, he deserves everything he does not get.

Said before - simple solution - stop loans (other than from banks) longer than 3 months (and other clauses)

By almost average 26/6 16:40Wed Jun 6 16:40:15 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 896

When he took over the club he made a statement that he saw it as an investment for his family . He might have been sold a dud but he was in it to make money .

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 16:57Wed Jun 6 16:57:28 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 881

Not saying he didn't, but I cant remember that being said publically.

Even if he did, he was foolish to expect that, and the only way that could happen (IMO) was to keep boro-leisure in the black AND boro-stadiums to charge rent.

By stone ragma6/6 16:31Wed Jun 6 16:31:11 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 899

Agree, said many times if your going to put money in to a football club do so without expecting it back

By almost average 26/6 16:37Wed Jun 6 16:37:52 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 892

I really don't get this look what Lee Thorn's done for us love in from one or two posters . He's almost destroyed us as a club and now he wants his money back for the wonderful job he's done . I'm glad he's found this chap from Port Vale and so brought the coop some time but i'm willing to bet it's in his best interests or he wouldn't have done it .

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 16:56Wed Jun 6 16:56:00 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 872

Its not a love in. I being pragmatic.

I am sure people accept that clubs generally lose money.
LT has filled the gap.

If boro to run as break even, then IMO conf-north is too high.

Also, we have no idea what would have happened if he had not stepped in.

EDIT - And the bottom line is......... a business has failed, just in this case there is unique customer loyalty.

Edited by VS Boro at 16:58:10 on 6th June 2018

By almost average 26/6 17:50Wed Jun 6 17:50:04 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 741

I'm also not sure about this clubs with our crowds can't survive at this level . I'd agree they probably can't compete at the top end or in the division above without some outside funding but plenty of clubs seem to survive at this sort of level National north / south - SLP- NPL on our sort of crowds or lower without a sugar daddy behind them .

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 18:15Wed Jun 6 18:15:01 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 739

No sugar daddy required

If it’s cost LT £50000pa BUT that shared between ten or even five directors is becomes a totally different thing

Inversely - five people putting in £50,000 that’s £200,000 more on playing budget

By almost average 26/6 18:17Wed Jun 6 18:17:04 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 733

Wasn't having a go at you mate , just felt i needed to vent and this seemed a good place to do it .

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 18:19Wed Jun 6 18:19:34 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 722

Didn’t realise you were having a go.
Each to their own opinions.

I just think many look at things too symplistic. Evidence is that very few/any clubs run in the black and those that try/have to struggle.

By stone ragma6/6 17:17Wed Jun 6 17:17:44 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 903

So many other considerations though, how many people come through the gate each week, amount of sponsorship money you can bring in, how many season tickets you can sell, if you can do those things well then Conf North should be our level, part of the problem is successive Owners, Boards, have not promoted the club well enough

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 16:35Wed Jun 6 16:35:18 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 904

Agree - but it’s all in loans

By almost average 26/6 17:58Wed Jun 6 17:58:24 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 754

That's the problem yes he's put some money in but now he wants it all back . What have we got for it .
The grounds falling apart .
The club / bar is a shambles .
Never seems many in corporate compared to what there used to be .
Fans & staff have walked away .
Heaven knows what state the teams in .
Bills not being paid .
A fan has had to pay to get the grass cut .
I could go on .
And now he wants his money back. It could take us years even decades to recover from the shambles he's left the club in , if ever . Yet some posters seem to think we should be grateful to him .

By Hullablue6/6 18:30Wed Jun 6 18:30:39 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 722

Does he want it all back?
Does he expect it all back?
Does he expect most back?
Does he expect half back?
Does he expect any back?

I think it is a fslacy that he expects to get his money back.

Of course he wants all his money back, anyone would. Expecting it is another.

By almost average 26/6 18:37Wed Jun 6 18:37:31 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 719

Of course he wants all his money back, anyone would.
Don't agree think plenty put money into sports clubs just for the pleasure of trying to help their club be successful .

By Hullablue6/6 18:44Wed Jun 6 18:44:38 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 729

If I offered you back every penny you had ploughed into your hobby, would you take it?

By almost average 26/6 20:33Wed Jun 6 20:33:23 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 662

Not if it meant ruining the club no . If it would have no effect on the club of course .

By Hullablue6/6 20:53Wed Jun 6 20:53:17 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 637

Right, so you would want it back.

As it is those guarantees ain't gonna come.

Have you any reason to think Lee Thorn expects his money back?

By stone ragma6/6 19:14Wed Jun 6 19:14:38 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 703

If it’s offered that’s different to someone wanting it

By Hullablue6/6 19:30Wed Jun 6 19:30:06 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 707

You are wrong, but I am aware we may be getting bogged down in semantics.

I have not seen or heard anything that has suggested Lee Thorn expected to get his money back.

By stone ragma6/6 18:06Wed Jun 6 18:06:41 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 765

Glad someone else sees it that way too

By almost average 26/6 18:11Wed Jun 6 18:11:43 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 753

Time will tell . I hope i'm proved wrong but something needs to change massively if were to recover from this , and it's annoying the hell out of me .

Edited by almost average 2 at 18:15:11 on 6th June 2018
Edited by almost average 2 at 18:19:13 on 6th June 2018

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 18:20Wed Jun 6 18:20:30 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 753

I honestly believe it can be traced back to many decisions and events over a very long time. Perhaps easier to see the start of the decline in 2008.

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 13:32Wed Jun 6 13:32:28 2018In response to Re: Which LeagueTop of thread

Views: 1015

Good question.

I had not thought of voluntary, but if LT thinking the way I am (we are really in trouble) then he may ask.

From what I know of past demotions, and what the league required I will still be genuinely amazed if the risk the boro continuing in that league.

I don't take much solace in the "rumoured" fact that boro not on the agenda.
My view on this is the league have a management committee and will have given boro leisure as long as rules permit and have taken on board any concerns.

Demotion is a complex issue and the management committee will have done what they need to do, and present this to the members to vote on. For all the Ifs' and but's to be decided during the AGM would not be conclusive and members would have to prepare without the facts.
Basically - If management say something it will more or less certainly be rubber stamped.

Also - Not sure if Gainsborough could refuse to be reprised - I don't think that has ever happened.

By Greg (NBFC)5/6 16:20Tue Jun 5 16:20:12 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1518

"I think we should at least give him a chance before getting the knives out"

But, but,but,but ..... that would mean not being negative!!!!

By Hullablue5/6 16:03Tue Jun 5 16:03:42 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1528

I really do not share your alternative scenarios.
I saw nothing at all to suggest that was a real possibility.
I think there was lots if negative spin, twists and fake news that scared people into thinking if worst case scenario and none of them had any substance to them.

By almost average 25/6 16:59Tue Jun 5 16:59:26 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1474

I wasn't as apocalyptic in my thinking as some , but i did feel it was highly likely the league would ask a few questions at the least and i'm not sure how we would have answered them .

By Hullablue5/6 17:18Tue Jun 5 17:18:26 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1441

I think league asked all clubs the same qs, nothing special for us.

By Moley85 (Moley)5/6 15:19Tue Jun 5 15:19:06 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1624

In light of our current situation I am prepared to give the bloke a chance and fresh start based on what he does for us, not what he has or hasn’t done elsewhere

Good luck Smurf!

2 people like this 2 people

By stone ragma5/6 14:49Tue Jun 5 14:49:36 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1670

That’s correct, can own two but can only make decisions regarding the running of one club

By Hullablue5/6 14:50Tue Jun 5 14:50:13 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1666

But as he is not chairman of PV ...

By stone ragma5/6 14:58Tue Jun 5 14:58:11 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1649

I don’t know if he is still on the board of PV and therefore still involved in decision making there that is maybe why he can’t be fully involved at the Boro

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)5/6 14:39Tue Jun 5 14:39:59 2018In response to Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1707

Fantastic news! Onwards and upwards from here on in.

By Moley85 (Moley)5/6 14:54Tue Jun 5 14:54:20 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1669

It’s good.

But still lots to be sorted moving forward.

Pleased, but realise if we as fans don’t raise money we are in a precarious situation.

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 16:43Tue Jun 5 16:43:07 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1452

and if what i picked up is true is a gamble by LT unless a hidden plan

By Larry5/6 17:49Tue Jun 5 17:49:21 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1399

Can’t see how the situation has changed other than he has been forced to / chosen to go public.

Still loads of intentions but no actual announcement.

That could change of course but it hasn’t yet.

By Hullablue5/6 18:00Tue Jun 5 18:00:20 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1365

The "no announcement" bit seems to be at odds with the announcement from the coop.
Unless they jumped the gun again of course :-)

By Larry5/6 18:01Tue Jun 5 18:01:25 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1370

I’ve seen a statement issued by them but it contained no announcement. Not in the normal meaning of the word anyway.

By Hullablue5/6 18:08Tue Jun 5 18:08:51 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1356

Maybe if the statement had started "we are pleased to announce. .."

By Larry5/6 18:10Tue Jun 5 18:10:07 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1363

It couldn’t because it had nothing to announce.

That may change yet as I mentioned above ... but it hasn’t yet.

By Hullablue5/6 18:22Tue Jun 5 18:22:33 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1358

They announced the plans.
You can do that you know, announce intentions.
You don't need to have completed something to announce it.

By Larry5/6 18:32Tue Jun 5 18:32:25 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1338

I give up!

By boropod (BoroughPod)5/6 18:42Tue Jun 5 18:42:01 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1333

Me too.
I'm coming back in Aug,

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 18:51Tue Jun 5 18:51:03 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1312

damn

By Larry5/6 18:45Tue Jun 5 18:45:38 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1325

There might actually have been a real announcement by then 😉

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)5/6 14:57Tue Jun 5 14:57:45 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1661

Is Port Vale up for sale? Be interesting to see if he sells PV in the future and then potentially goes 50/50 with the co-op... Or sees the co-op as an owner untill he sells PVFC and then buys the club from the co-op

Thats obvs if the co-op raise the money to buy the club first

By Greg (NBFC)5/6 14:59Tue Jun 5 14:59:20 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1633

Wasn't the club available for "a nominal sum"? I thought that LT was basically asking the big sum for thje ground and effectively giving the football club away.

By bert's dad5/6 14:43Tue Jun 5 14:43:17 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1693

Looks a really good deal and that Lee Thorn has done right by the club and it’s fans. Wonder what the manager/players situation is?

By almost average 25/6 14:48Tue Jun 5 14:48:46 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1672

That's the only piece that is unclear who will fund the playing side next season ?
Mr S #2 can't ( rules ) the coop can't ( finances ) . Still not complaining just be glad to start the season with the club still alive .

By Hullablue5/6 14:49Tue Jun 5 14:49:51 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1666

Maybe the people Thorn has found will have that in hand for now ...

By stone ragma5/6 15:00Tue Jun 5 15:00:22 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1637

Intresting to know if person or persons LT has found to run the club are putting money in or are they just dealing with day to day running of the club !

By Moley85 (Moley)5/6 14:55Tue Jun 5 14:55:15 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1680

Maybe Thorn will. He said he won’t return to the club. Didn’t say he wouldn’t continue financing it until a new owner was found, did he?

By stone ragma5/6 15:53Tue Jun 5 15:53:19 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1519

Maybe

By almost average 25/6 15:42Tue Jun 5 15:42:58 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1576

I've been critical of Lee Thorn's style of leadership and i still feel he brought a lot of his problems on himself , but on the face of it ; it appears he has done the best he can to keep the club going in the short term . While of course getting a deal for himself . I've never had any problem with him doing that as long as he didn't dump on the club to achieve it and it doesn't appear he has .

By Brucey5/6 16:11Tue Jun 5 16:11:11 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1537

100% agree. If he's putting in place an interim to allow the community the chance to run the club, with a more manageable timescale, based on how we would need to go about things, then genuinely, I thank him for that. He didn't have to do that, but he has, and I'm massively grateful.

By boropod (BoroughPod)5/6 16:20Tue Jun 5 16:20:23 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1514

Have to agree with you there Brucey

By WCB (NTFC) (WCB)5/6 22:10Tue Jun 5 22:10:57 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1147

Ok, time for the ‘negative one’ to speak.
Is it just me who is very suspicious of this? I just don’t get it.
He seems loathed by port vale fans and i just don’t understand why he’s happy to help us out with no benefit to himself.
I’m pleased that someone wants to come on board but I think we have to be careful that we aren’t just accepting anyone in order to keep us in conference north.
For example when terry smith left Chester their fans were delighted to welcome Steven Vaughan and then that turned out badly.
I don’t wanna be negative but I maybe have been burnt too many times before

------------------------------------------------------
Boro Exile

By almost average 26/6 08:23Wed Jun 6 08:23:30 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1030

He's in it for the money . He's a businessman and he sees this as a business opportunity . On the positive side it gives the coop more time to try and sort something . Sometimes in life you have to take a chance because there's no other real options and this is probably one .

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 22:31Tue Jun 5 22:31:34 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1123

As I said this a “wait and see”.

Many hurdles to be faced first. Even when they been done then what sort of season will the team have? Been raised about financing it.

No news what LT plans to do.
Is IN selling his 50%
How much do the coop need to raise? Is that achievable? If not, then what?

By stone ragma5/6 22:37Tue Jun 5 22:37:56 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1126

Also how long is LT prepared to put someone in to run the club for, can the co-op be in a position to takeover the club within a timescale LT would be happy with

By Hullablue5/6 22:41Tue Jun 5 22:41:54 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1113

Find out in the next instalment...

I cannot wait for the answers to these questions to be given.

By Greg (NBFC)5/6 22:48Tue Jun 5 22:48:00 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1112

Are they the explicitly announced questions or those that are implied from comments we have already seen?

By Hullablue5/6 22:57Tue Jun 5 22:57:34 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1085

They will be badly worded and vague answers.

By VS Anyone (VS Boro)5/6 22:41Tue Jun 5 22:41:05 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1118

as of yet, nothing about the intentions of LT.

By stone ragma5/6 22:47Tue Jun 5 22:47:27 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1109

Lot more still needs to be clarified for sure, if this does happen can see it not being easy to bring players in, players will be cautious about signing for a club whose ownership is not clear,

Edited by stone ragma at 22:53:47 on 5th June 2018

By Hullablue5/6 22:44Tue Jun 5 22:44:27 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1114

Maybe his intentions haven't changed since his last statement.

Larry would spontaneously combust if LT made an announcement to announce he had nothing new to announce since his last announcement announced all he wanted to announce.

By Larry5/6 22:57Tue Jun 5 22:57:47 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1112

No he leaves those “announcements” to the Co-Op

Edited by Larry at 22:59:16 on 5th June 2018

By Hullablue5/6 23:04Tue Jun 5 23:04:16 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1107

In that case they will announce his announcement 24 hours before he was going to announce his announcement and then he will not make the announcement.

By Larry5/6 23:05Tue Jun 5 23:05:28 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1113

Ah that’s what today’s statement was saying!

By Greg (NBFC)6/6 05:03Wed Jun 6 05:03:30 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1075

I think that's actually what he announced in his announcement that explained why he hadn't announced his previous announcement that he didn't announce. :)

Edited by Greg (NBFC) at 05:04:03 on 6th June 2018

By stone ragma5/6 22:21Tue Jun 5 22:21:32 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1160

The benefit to himself I assume will be the rent he will charge every week/month, as he says in the newspaper article he makes investments on a monthly basis, would assume he gets a return on those investments. Whilst this looks good in the short term ie gives the club away of continuing ( hopefully) it may be a problem in the longer term having ground and club owned by different people, possible rent increases etc

By Lord of the Manor6/6 05:14Wed Jun 6 05:14:16 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1083

And not only us who uses the ground .... potentially renting to the rugby club aswell.
Sounds like it could be a sound investment to him ,having two lots of people living in one house.

By Fromage6/6 06:37Wed Jun 6 06:37:13 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1073

I'm interested to know how this improves the chance of being a club for the community if rent is charged to whoever owns the football club? I would be surprised if whoever buys the football club would be allowed to play home games somewhere other than Liberty Way too.

By Hullablue6/6 07:06Wed Jun 6 07:06:12 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1064

There is already a 10-year plus rolling lease for the club to play at Liberty Way. Moving isn't really an option unless both parties agree.

By Hullablue5/6 22:14Tue Jun 5 22:14:41 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1177

I share your fears.

But until we know exactly how this shapes up I will try to have an open mind.

By BalhamBoro (GeordieBoro)6/6 09:18Wed Jun 6 09:18:55 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1035

Reading the Port Vale forum - he doesn't have many fans there. The grass isn't always greener springs to mind. But as you said best to have an open mind at this stage. I just hope due diligence is taking place.

By Arfur Towcrate6/6 11:38Wed Jun 6 11:38:15 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 992

A word of advice from a Vale fan. There is often a marked difference between what Mr Smurthwaite says and what he does. He has a habit of being a bit cavalier with the truth. He once famously told a meeting of fans for example that, shortly after taking sole control of the club in August 2013 he was prepared to put it into administration. He said he was persuaded not to do this after meeting former chairman and owner, Bill Bell who talked him out of it. This must have been a very interesting meeting because Mr Bell died in February 2013!!

Mr Smurthwaite may well have good intentions but just beware of taking everything he says at face value.

By bert's dad6/6 17:01Wed Jun 6 17:01:12 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 858

Think we have learned to rarely trust owners. If we manage to keep playing in the same League next season would be a bonus.

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)6/6 11:43Wed Jun 6 11:43:32 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1026

Is it true he made his millions in property development?

If so not surprised hes bought our stadium lovely bit of land for resale/investment...

I dont think many of us are taking anything as fact untill the club make a statement, thanks for letting us know a little inside info from the vale, all the best for the upcoming season!

By VS Vale (VS Boro)6/6 11:43Wed Jun 6 11:43:16 2018In response to Re: Coop Conversation With Mr. SmurthwaiteTop of thread

Views: 1018

Mr << Insert any football club owner director here >>> may well have good intentions but just beware of taking everything they says at face value.

:)
FYI
circa 1986 - Nearly went bust (Boro fans; remember George Best game)
1991 - Went bust
circa 2003 - Nearly went bust (Boro fans; remember Neil Moore loaned out and other things)
2008 - Went bust
2018 - Grab the popcorn.

Edited by VS Boro at 11:43:31 on 6th June 2018
Edited by VS Boro at 11:59:29 on 6th June 2018

Previous thread: Chambers by Unnamed Sauce13/6 11:39Wed Jun 13 11:39:25 2018view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.