ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: wrong ! by HullablueYesterday 22:40Yesterday at 22:40:42view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator14/2/2015 11:54Sat Feb 14 11:54:00 2015view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Nat Kelly gone by MJNB21/1 17:40Mon Jan 21 17:40:14 2019view thread

Grand Total (up till know)

By Stripes21/1 13:27Mon Jan 21 13:27:49 2019

Views: 812

We have used 42 players up to last Saturday either full games or coming on as a sub.

Addison, Andoh, Angus, Allen, Burns, Belford, Baker, Benjamin, Blackham, Baxendale, Calveley, Coyle, Ceesay. Carter, Davies, Etheridge, Edmunds, Edobor, Freestone, Gray, Hildreth, Hurst, Jones, Jennings, Kelly-Evans, Kelly, Lyne, Leek, Lussey, Lundstream, Mitchell, McGurk, Morrison, Onyeaka, Obeng, Panayiotou, Prior, Richards, Sharpe, Tweed, Wharton and Wesolowski.

Or less I have missed anyone else !!!!

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Grand Total (up till know)

By MJNB21/1 22:12Mon Jan 21 22:12:26 2019In response to Grand Total (up till know)Top of thread

Views: 523

Looking at that photo Kerry Daffern posted earlier on Boro Chat, I can still name the majority of the players in it 10 years later. There was a bond with the likes of Gez Murphy, Rob Oddy, Neil Moore, Matty Collins, Brian Quailey, Darren Acton.

I can’t remember the last time any player managed to play more than 100 games for us? In fact, in the last 4 years or so only Billy Daniels and Tom Elliott managed over 50 I think.

We need, and I believe Jimmy Ginnelly will get back, a bond between fans and players again to get a real sense of togetherness and community feel. We need fans favourites, familiarity and longevity in the squad. It would be great to see someone rack up 100, 200 games and even more like Gaz Dean for example did.

By animal22/1 14:18Tue Jan 22 14:18:34 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till know)Top of thread

Views: 356

I think that you have hit on a very important point. In the glory years there was a bond between players and fans. We saw the same players week after week, knew their style of play,their strengths and weakness and their idiosyncrasies.And there was an air of permanency about the club and players which has now gone.
Players come and go almost as if on a conveyor belt and there is no time to really get to know them.
This is possibly one reason, combined with other factors, for the decline in support.
Maybe I am looking through misty rose coloured specs.

Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

For every action there is an opposite and unequal overreaction

2 people like this 2 people

By Hullablue22/1 15:31Tue Jan 22 15:31:36 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till know)Top of thread

Views: 310

I think the disconnect between players and supporters is a big factor.
In the first five years of Town, the players knew most of the fans by name.
There is an obvious joke about how that is not true the other way around now, but I'll leave that to others ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not interested in your opinion" Tommy Wright, after 6-3 defeat at Blyth.

By almost average 222/1 15:24Tue Jan 22 15:24:43 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till know)Top of thread

Views: 345

No your not at all . It's a definite problem with me and the supporters i speak to , so i'd guess many more .

+1

By Unnamed Sauce22/1 19:20Tue Jan 22 19:20:27 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till know)Top of thread

Views: 246

No text

Re: Grand Total (up till now)

By VS Town (VS Boro)21/1 13:31Mon Jan 21 13:31:44 2019In response to Grand Total (up till know)Top of thread

Views: 741

Mayebi??

Seems to match
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/nuneatontownfc/teams/98603/statistics?sort=appearances&season=51726

Just noticed that that includes friendlies.

Edited by VS Boro at 13:34:03 on 21st January 2019
Edited by VS Boro at 13:35:11 on 21st January 2019
Edited by VS Boro at 13:36:13 on 21st January 2019

By Hullablue21/1 14:35Mon Jan 21 14:35:08 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 622

In first year of Town I suggested giving all new players a tie with the a number on it showing how many players had played for the club. For example Acco would be 1, Oddy 2 etc etc.

Good job that never happened as this season could have bankrupted us.

I know a few posters complied a list of players up to about 200, but I cannot recall how long thst took to reach

Has Boro ever used more players than played matches in a whole season before? Only a few more needed for that to be the case this season.

By boro4421/1 15:44Mon Jan 21 15:44:12 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 536

Have the Boro ever been in such a sorry state before both on and of the pitch.

By ,shifter (Shifter)22/1 11:26Tue Jan 22 11:26:22 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 343

I can’t recall where the two have come togeather.
Boro have gone bust ,but on each occasion the teams we had were no where as shocking as the team we have right now,this is not aimed at Jimmy G,the bloke had the bollocks to take the job ,and IMO drew the short straw.

We have a lot coming from the Hawk,battling to keep Boro afloat,we have Jimmy G trying to put a team togeather,then there are the Boro fans trying their utmost to keep their sanity.

Not too sure games against lower league sides will have any effect on the team progress.
If we are to have friendly games,should be around our league level,or one league below.

I still have this gut feeling that Boro could go tits up at any moment,you have to give Grimsy lot of credit for Boro not falling before now .

The lads a star.

By VS Town (VS Boro)22/1 11:46Tue Jan 22 11:46:52 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 345

I disagree about "no where as shocking as the team we have right now".

I cant say for certain (football changes), but just try and recall some of the teams in SL-Mid (which will be the same level as next season)
Unfair to name names, but I cant recall many of those players as being good enough for now

Not many of the below made it to this level (with or without Boro).
1994/95

D. Belford
G. Davies
D. Crane
P. Masefield
M. Trotter
C. Keogh
D. Hart
G. Archer
J. Percival
C. Plummer
M. Wolsey
S. Diver
J. Rodwell
E. Roberts
M. Tarry
A. Harris
P. Mauel
D. Bennett
R. Wade
M. Haywood
D. Hillier
D. Duffy
R. Hill
W. Olsen
M. Albrighton
D. Robinson
A. Greatrex
C. Payne
R. Smith
R. Straw
T. Simpson
P. Costello
A. Green
Talbot
Houghton
D. Burke
R. Greenwood
P. London
S. Woodfine
A. Lovelock
S. Bonnell

http://www.fromtowntotown.org.uk/assets/stats-sheet-nuneaton-town-1889-2018_approved.pdf
Page 225

By ,shifter (Shifter)22/1 11:53Tue Jan 22 11:53:21 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 354

My argument is not about individual players more about teams.
Yes ,I have seen poorer players at Boro,but can’t say I have seen poorer teams.

Imo,there is a massive difference between individuals and collective players ie the “ team “.

By VS Town (VS Boro)22/1 12:20Tue Jan 22 12:20:32 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 326

I think the team that got relegated from level 6 (this level) post Swansea FA Cup was worse.

By Hullablue22/1 11:55Tue Jan 22 11:55:51 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 356

I still think some of the teams I saw late 80s early 90s were worse than this one.
I am not going off results btw, just off watching them play.

By almost average 222/1 15:31Tue Jan 22 15:31:05 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 266

It's very difficult to go off results as it's almost impossible to compare the standards of the leagues . I'm positive the current National North is much stronger than the SL Midland i saw us play in , so how would this team do in that league or visa versa ?
The one thing i would say is without doubt this is the least i've ever enjoyed watching a season with the Boro stretching back to the early 70's .

1 person likes this 1 person

By joetowny (Joe)22/1 15:57Tue Jan 22 15:57:50 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 278

strangely for me not the worst
results wise ? yep up there with the best :-)
but with low expectations prior to k o. even to the point of not really knowing if the season would start.
though i always suspected it would..... hence with expectations being the key ... ive endured worse
ive seen one or two really good games from us
and to balance the debate, one or two that i can only put in the rubbish category. but ' hey ho' thats how it goes
generally the results have been shite but a tad unlucky on several occasions in fairness
small margins between success and failure
but again thats football for you.
ps Jimmy Hill saying "what goes up in football eventually one day comes back down"

Edited by Joe at 16:01:11 on 22nd January 2019

By almost average 222/1 17:13Tue Jan 22 17:13:57 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 259

ps Jimmy Hill saying "what goes up in football eventually one day comes back down"

As long as it isn't too far .

By joetowny (Joe)22/1 19:04Tue Jan 22 19:04:15 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 215

JH rather poignant as they have apart from the conference gone div 4 ( promoted with Port Vale, first season after the N & S div 3 was a changed ) to div 1 which they played in for over 30 yrs and then arriving back home :-) . going a full circle. now back in div 3
Carlisle i believe they have been conference and div 1 ( premier to the babies )
or how about last saturdays opponents. 1 season in div 2 ( championship ) to some obscure league ???
think they have been promoted twice to get back to this league.
we are not the only club that ever gets relegated
ps think Cov have a ground issue coming up too

By Hullablue22/1 15:37Tue Jan 22 15:37:17 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 272

I have not made it to many matches this season.
I think only four. But I have enjoyed them all for different reasons.

1, Ashton United. I really thought we wouldn't start the season due to the actions if one man in the two or three weeks previous, so I was happy to see us play, and as Boro.
2, Curzon Ashton. We won, I hated every minute of the second half due to our horrible, negative tactics, but we won so I left happy.
3, Stockport. A really good display, not just backs to the wall defending, but great attacking too
4, BPA. I thought it may be the last so savoured every minute of it. I even thought we played really well till that goal from the half way line.

By almost average 222/1 15:43Tue Jan 22 15:43:13 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 279

Three out of four undefeated . We'll skip over the 0-6 .
You need to attend more often (:

By MJNB22/1 17:42Tue Jan 22 17:42:46 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 249

My record this season is awful

Hereford home drew 0-0
Boston away lost 2-1
Bpa home lost 6-0
Alty away lost 4-0
Telford away lost 3-1

By WCB (NTFC) (WCB)22/1 19:13Tue Jan 22 19:13:51 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 201

My record is worse.

Guiseley away lost 1-2
BPA home lost 0-6
Alty away lost 0-4
Chester away lost 2-3
Telford away lost 1-3

------------------------------------------------------
Boro Exile

By almost average 222/1 18:11Tue Jan 22 18:11:46 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 251

To be honest most fans will be . Difficult not to be when we've only won three games ( not including the Senior Cup ) .

By Hullablue22/1 17:47Tue Jan 22 17:47:50 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 231

Going Chorley?

By MJNB22/1 17:51Tue Jan 22 17:51:01 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 232

Yes, shame northern rail are striking but should be there.

By Hullablue22/1 15:45Tue Jan 22 15:45:48 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 281

Oh. I went to Telford too. I enjoyed that for the few hours away from the in laws and the great conversations.

By catch2222/1 13:59Tue Jan 22 13:59:19 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 303

Totally agree late 80s earlie 90s for me . It was a breath of fresh air when les Green took over . Sure he signed tony Simpson, Kim Green ,Twigger and Paul Carty.

By stripes4me22/1 12:09Tue Jan 22 12:09:30 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 352

Totally agree Hulla.

By Hullablue22/1 12:30Tue Jan 22 12:30:07 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 349

I recall the team with Mick Martin in goal being far worse than the sum of its parts.

Having said that my only clear memory of him was him getting sent off for hitting an opponent with the ball at Witney. I think we lost that day.
Was that same year we lost to Mile Oak and Ashtree Highfield?

By MJNB22/1 13:38Tue Jan 22 13:38:28 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 311

94/95 under Elwyn Roberts was utter shite.

Some of those players were the standard of those we recently released.

By Vernon Slain22/1 08:12Tue Jan 22 08:12:06 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 380

I don't think so '44. Not in my time have I seen the Club in such a shambles.
It will get worse before it gets better too.
But,as some people on here said,better to have this situation than no Club at all.

Forensic analysis of posts not available here.

By joetowny (Joe)22/1 10:59Tue Jan 22 10:59:49 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 346

this club has been in a bigger shambles in the past
its gone bust on two occasions since the resumption after second war for starters
and once before that when it became town pre war
also you dont have to go back too far in history to recall some shambolic times on and off the pitch.
playing clubs that as far as im concerned were absolute nobodies, which people have mentioned on here in the past.
of course if your a relatively young person then yes you could well be right in your comments
even in the fifties we were playing in a regional league and whilst some of the clubs were ok many were based on colliery sides. ie little more than glorified Griff's ( no insult intended )
there was a northern league and a southern league which contained most of the big non league clubs
before the non league game was re-organised there were exceptions of course as there is normally on any given subject
Peter'boro United probably being the biggest one think they came out of the then midland league ( from memory that is ) to get elected into the league
then came the inception of automatic promotion which has transformed the non league game out of all proportion
and made it the breeding ground of wannabe money men
times have changed the town has changed the people have changed
many have no affinity towards the town.
hence how do yoy get them on board
but i agree 100pc with your bottom line, anything rather than no club.
cheers Joe.

By VS Town (VS Boro)22/1 08:15Tue Jan 22 08:15:51 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 372

"But,as some people on here said,better to have this situation than no Club at all."

True, but I don't think the club is out of the woods; not by a long way.

By Vernon Slain22/1 09:22Tue Jan 22 09:22:13 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 344

Agreed. And the problem is not just money.

Forensic analysis of posts not available here.

By Hullablue22/1 10:48Tue Jan 22 10:48:44 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 330

Agreed. The problems have never been just money at all!!

By Hullablue21/1 16:08Mon Jan 21 16:08:50 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 526

By VS Town (VS Boro)21/1 15:54Mon Jan 21 15:54:00 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 513

YES

Most of ground closed
Demotion to SL premier
Relegation from SL premier
Court cases
No one running the club

Oh - happy days 😇😇

By VS Town (VS Boro)21/1 15:04Mon Jan 21 15:04:08 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 562

I have always felt it a shame that a complete database of players who have represented the club since 2008 has not existed. Its not difficult (but time consuming in retrospect).

What John Hobson has done (http://www.fromtowntotown.org.uk/) is amazing; absolutely amazing.
. I don't know if he/they have any intention to put into a database, but that would be good (and if they/he doesn't that's fine by me). I would guess its not too difficult to do using Pitchero, but (using banned phrase at work"...... "All you need to do is..........."

http://www.fromtowntotown.org.uk/assets/stats-sheet-nuneaton-town-1889-2018_approved.pdf
Not trawled through.
32 in 2014/15 - Relegation - Surprised so low.
49 in 2016/17 - Wilson/Wright - Surprised so high.
45 in 2003/04 - Post Relegation
33 in 2002/03 - Relegation.
49 in 1989/90 - 3rd - Les Green Season. Surprised so low :)

1 person likes this 1 person

By Hullablue21/1 15:08Mon Jan 21 15:08:38 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 546

I am surprised by some of those figures.
I am not doubting them at all, just surprised.

Would be interesting to see lowest used too...

By VS Town (VS Boro)21/1 15:31Mon Jan 21 15:31:37 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 536

It would be difficult to do like-4-like as (goes without saying) footballers are more mobile (not some of Boro's I admit) in the modern game.

Didn't Villa in 1980(ish) only use something like 18 players.
In 70s and 80s most teams had a core of 13 or 14 players.

From memory. Carrs runner up team(s)
1) Poole
2) Carr
3) Gibson
4) Glover / Bennyworth
5) Dixie
6) Richardson/Hill
7) McGoldrick
8) Morley
9) Culpin
10) Murphy
11) Smithers.

Only other main-player I have missed out is Hammil (sure people will be happy to correct me).

By nil desperandum21/1 15:34Mon Jan 21 15:34:46 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 511

It made me think about Villa's 1981 title win too. They used only 14 players. Staggering compared to the numbers used today.

By Larry21/1 15:34Mon Jan 21 15:34:28 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 520

Villa used 14 in 80/81 when they won the League which is still a record I think.

I think Carr's Boro team the year before would have used even fewer players. Hamill etc.

Edited by Larry at 15:35:54 on 21st January 2019

By VS Town (VS Boro)21/1 15:52Mon Jan 21 15:52:05 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 503

I’ve sort of merged the two runners up teams.

Iirc - Murphy wasn’t in the first one but his signing allowed Morley to drop deaper

By nil desperandum21/1 15:36Mon Jan 21 15:36:09 2019In response to Re: Grand Total (up till now)Top of thread

Views: 520

Beat me to it!

Previous thread: COMMUNITY NEWS: Boro' Engage With Local Schools by boropod22/1 15:21Tue Jan 22 15:21:27 2019view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.