ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Interesting fact by almost average 2Today 13:55Today at 13:55:43view thread

Oldest article: Fans team game info v Halifax before BPA away by MJNB18/3 20:40Mon Mar 18 20:40:46 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: New keeper signs by MJNB14/6 13:18Fri Jun 14 13:18:31 2019view thread

BENBOW SIGNS

By WCB (NBFC) (WCB)12/6 15:06Wed Jun 12 15:06:22 2019

Views: 1269

https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/nuneatonboroughfc/news/squad-news-luke-benbow-agrees-to-join-the-boro-2430588.html

Big statement this.

------------------------------------------------------
Boro Exile

Edited by WCB at 15:06:41 on 12th June 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Re: BENBOW SIGNS

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)12/6 21:35Wed Jun 12 21:35:46 2019In response to BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 797

The fact that Benbow says “the signings he's already announced, and the players he's talking to are a fantastic quality“ means there more quality signings hopefully to come... excited for this season to say the least!

Edited by nbfcadam at 21:40:00 on 12th June 2019

By Lord of the Manor13/6 05:14Thu Jun 13 05:14:47 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 805

Just playing devils advocate ere ....
( but )
no one's gonna say the players players he's signed are shit and still more shit ones to come ( for better words ) .
The real test is in the pudding and that dosnt start till August, so feet on the ground till then 👍

By joetowny (Joe)13/6 08:28Thu Jun 13 08:28:39 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 739

i think people have that right to be ' cautiously ' optimistic
bearing in mind last season when many thought we would not even fore-fill our fixtures
we had goalkeepers playing outfield as subs
in fact anyone who could kick a ball got a game
JG was in an impossible position but he came through it with flying colours
he has turned the club around *THAT IS A FACT or we would not be discussing signings today.
yes even possible shite ones.
lets for once wait and see how shite or good the squad is before we start the annual ritual on here of turning everything good into a negative.
of course your right the proof of the pudding is in the eating
that goes for every single manager/chairman and every club.
we cant all be winners.
but i can understand people being optimistic,ok maybe a couple go OTT.
so what !! thats the end game.
however have to say reading the comments most on here have their feet firmly on the ground.
but harboring positive thoughts like ntfcadam ... is that some sort of a crime ? NO thank god.
if it wasn't for such people we would be now playing the griff...... if playing at all that is.

* HMRC etc etc etc paid.

ps and dont forget ive a fuckin TV licence to pay for

Edited by Joe at 09:26:50 on 13th June 2019

2 people like this 2 people

By VS Town (VS Boro)13/6 11:13Thu Jun 13 11:13:24 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 671

But remember the start of the season when (on paper) players more than adequate signed and things looked optimistic

Now - who keeps saying “let’s wait and see” :)

My view is, and I think I’ve been consistent is that it’s near impossible for a club like Nuneaton to live within means and look for success (even in this league).
Hindsight may point to fact that Smurf and Thorn put money in - my hope is IF we spending above income then the burden is shared - not seen anything to back that up (or contradict)

By joetowny (Joe)13/6 12:08Thu Jun 13 12:08:13 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 712

yes i agree 100pc
all i will say about football is that every chairman who stands up to run a football club
should/ought to know what hes getting into ie. he/she is expected to chuck a few bob in the pot
problem is in many cases a big ego takes over from realism.
that is always the danger.

By stone ragma13/6 16:40Thu Jun 13 16:40:01 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 588

Exactly how I felt about LT and NH egos ruled common sense

By Hullablue13/6 16:52Thu Jun 13 16:52:47 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 538

At least LT put money in and kept it running nicely for a few years...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not interested in your opinion" Tommy Wright, after 6-3 defeat at Blyth.

By stone ragma13/6 17:00Thu Jun 13 17:00:05 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 580

He did but I’m referring to the reasons both LT and NH took on ownership, think in both cases egos played a large part

By Hullablue13/6 17:33Thu Jun 13 17:33:50 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 552

The reason LT took on ownership was that IN got arrested at the Ricoh.
He didn't want to be sole owner. That was never his intention. He was forced into it by the events that Friday.

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)13/6 10:02Thu Jun 13 10:02:29 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 673

100% my feet are on the ground after watching most of last season!

When i say excited its based on seeing the likes of Beavon, Benbow etc in a Boro shirt, i firmly believe we will only be a top half side this season. Not a Title winning side like most people are stating on twitter etc lol

Agree with Joe its always good to look on the bright side especially after last season! Was there ever a bright side? Lol.

Edited by nbfcadam at 10:02:58 on 13th June 2019

By stone ragma13/6 17:05Thu Jun 13 17:05:22 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 617

Agree, not sure we will challenge, attacking department looks decent, Benbow, Beavon and Henshall, wether midfield and defence will have same quality time will tell

By MJNB13/6 18:19Thu Jun 13 18:19:36 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 579

Defence looks alright to me so far.

Addison, Towers, Sharpe should start I imagine.

Midfield my concern. Lots of wingers/number tens/trickery but we need some steel and a ball player (Verma could be the latter I guess)

By stone ragma13/6 19:28Thu Jun 13 19:28:08 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 516

Never convinced by Addison, think all his past injuries restrict him to much

By MJNB13/6 10:46Thu Jun 13 10:46:27 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 626

Agree.

It’s not like we have stars in every single position.

A few big names, some kids, and no doubt some dependable steady lads too.

I expect even with the likes of Benbow to be top half, pushing playoffs, not title contenders.

By almost average 213/6 15:13Thu Jun 13 15:13:22 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 596

Don't make the mistake of over rating this league . Having seen a few games in the division over the last two seasons it's a noticeable drop in standard from the National North . The biggest difference is the strength in depth , which is nowhere near to the same standard . I certainly don't think we will piss this tin pot league but with the players we already have i think a strong playoff push , minimum is achievable .

By Hullablue12/6 22:18Wed Jun 12 22:18:15 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 695

At least Green and Carter (maybe others I cannot recall) said the signings last summer showed we were going for promotion.

So there is that.

By VS Town (VS Boro)13/6 07:15Thu Jun 13 07:15:10 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 696

I miss read what you said and was going to correct you with exactly that

(I missed “last season” bit and thought the players mentioned were new signings

Let’s wait and see.
Op

By MJNB12/6 21:59Wed Jun 12 21:59:04 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 682

I feel like we’ve got the young, potential group signed up early.
Now signed some ‘star names’ like Benbow, Verma, Henshall etc.
I think/hope it’ll be rounded off with dependable experienced Southern Premier players now, a bit of grit. Your Hadland types going back ten years.

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/6 18:56Wed Jun 12 18:56:46 2019In response to BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 805

Word of caution.

Assuming (as has been guessed) some of these signings have not come cheap and/or fee paid and/or signing on fee - I hope a club that has to pay circa £800/month out for rent and has gates of circa 600 afford it.

By joetowny (Joe)12/6 20:16Wed Jun 12 20:16:40 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 714

i would hope that the financial side for the coming season has been well costed.
to blindly sign players as occurred last season would be the height of stupidity
i believe im right in saying a lot of the debts have been paid...is that correct or not ?
maybe not 100pc clear but the more important ones have.
im just going on here from what was said to me by a certain person.
how you spend your budget as long as it is well costed is ok by me.
no club can narrow it down to pennies with so many factors occurring over a season.
even so the monies must be coming in from somewhere.
i just cant see us spending money we haven't got, i really cant.

anyway lets all hope the above comments are proven to be correct

By VS Town (VS Boro)12/6 20:36Wed Jun 12 20:36:51 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 670

I suspect the budget has been supplemented by the new directors (still no announcement)
The only difference/Hope is that compared to LT era there are many putting less in than one putting it all on.

As I have always maintained - even at this level, living within means would be a tough ask.

If the club did end in surplus - I really hope some has been spent on facilities and not just on playing staff - the ground needs some serious TLC

By joetowny (Joe)12/6 21:01Wed Jun 12 21:01:22 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 666

fwiw i agree ref the ground needing some TLC
think work has been undertaken on the pitch.
also maybe we are not spending as much as some imagine
dont think Stour or Tammy pay big bucks at the moment
in fact did the manager of Stourbridge not leave, a lack of ambition being the real reason behind it ? ( my own take btw )
as for Beaven he's 35 so i would think his options are getting limited somewhat especially if he's locally based.
so if you take these three signings out of the equation add Henshall and maybe another one possibly two the rest are mainly young hopefuls. as long as your ££££ pot is within your limits it dont matter how its make up is arrived at.

By stone ragma12/6 19:44Wed Jun 12 19:44:44 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 675

Strongly suspect that the signing of more experienced players, Benbow, Verma, Beavon has been balanced by the signings of local younger players in terms of budget

By almost average 212/6 19:24Wed Jun 12 19:24:30 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 755

There can be little doubt that the likes of Towers , Benbow , Bevon , Hensall , Powell & Varma must be on a decent wage or they wouldn't have signed . Countering that we've also signed a number of young local lads from lower leagues who i'm guessing are on a lot less .

By Hullablue12/6 19:45Wed Jun 12 19:45:52 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 685

I just hope we have learned the lessons of past mistakes.

I have no reason to think we have not.

By BlueEd12/6 15:42Wed Jun 12 15:42:12 2019In response to BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 968

Great signing.

Bit surprised we are paying fees for players as that states, it could only be £1 but I doubt it.

As long as we are spending within our means I'm happy..... definately not just making up the numbers.

Lets hope the results and crowds improve next season and we can get this club back!

By Eileen Dover12/6 18:02Wed Jun 12 18:02:40 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 795

On Stourbridge website, they are saying that it's a four figure fee

By Hullablue12/6 18:09Wed Jun 12 18:09:38 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 811

£10.00 then.

By Eileen Dover13/6 09:11Thu Jun 13 09:11:04 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 648

OI... BEHAVE

JUST FOR THE TAMUFF FANS LURKING

By MJNB12/6 15:26Wed Jun 12 15:26:23 2019In response to BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 1048

WE'RE GONNA PISS THIS TINPOT LEAGUE

5 people like this 5 people

Re: JUST FOR THE TAMUFF FANS LURKING

By stone ragma12/6 17:36Wed Jun 12 17:36:26 2019In response to JUST FOR THE TAMUFF FANS LURKINGTop of thread

Views: 893

Speaking of them see they have signed Hoenes and Lathamiel Rowe-Turner from Kettering

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)12/6 15:12Wed Jun 12 15:12:11 2019In response to BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 977

Big signing this is! Love how this team is shaping up.

Nice one Jimmy!

By Halftime12/6 15:10Wed Jun 12 15:10:19 2019In response to BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 935

Wow! Really good news. I am mightily impressed with the squad JG is putting together for the coming season and hope that the club and current management gets the support it deserves.

By boropod (BoroughPod)12/6 15:25Wed Jun 12 15:25:23 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 1022

Looks like we're not going for consolidation/mid table then.

"2018-19 was the worst boro team ever"

2 people like this 2 people

By MJNB12/6 15:51Wed Jun 12 15:51:06 2019In response to Re: BENBOW SIGNSTop of thread

Views: 931

what I like about this signing too, is it's not a one season wonder.

He's consistently been one of the best players at this level.

136 goals in 255 games. Phenomenal record.

Previous thread: Aman Verma signs by MJNB11/6 14:03Tue Jun 11 14:03:59 2019view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.