ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: O/T Dom Sibley by stone ragmaToday 09:00Today at 09:00:07view thread

Oldest article: BSC final by MJNB20/3 21:16Wed Mar 20 21:16:15 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Get to rushden by Bearandcock17/8 08:27Sat Aug 17 08:27:20 2019view thread

Rushden v Nuneaton

By Halftime15/8 13:50Thu Aug 15 13:50:16 2019

Views: 1126

Predictions for Saturday game against Rushden & Diamonds?

Will be a tough game I think!

Edited by Halftime at 13:50:49 on 15th August 2019

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Rushden v Nuneaton

By Sussexdiamond16/8 14:40Fri Aug 16 14:40:27 2019In response to Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 704

Hello you guys. That's some pretty pessimistic forecasts. New season, new players, new hope. OK its not been great week but don't forget how close you came to no club at all. That is something we share. For the benefit of a couple of you. We are now AFC R&D. Yes the glory days of Max Griggs were fantastic but now we own the club, it is OUR club. The demise was in no way attributed to Mr Griggs, who still attends every home match, but was down to some (to avoid libel charges) shall we say misguided individual who thought he could make a fortune redeveloping the ground. As it happens the fantastic Nene Park is now resembling a bombsite and the aforementioned owner has repeatedly been denied permission to build anything. AFC is thriving as a members owned community club and play at the old ground that was used before the merger of Rushden Town and Irthlingborough Diamonds in 1992. Over the past two years the ground has been transformed by volunteers and plenty of donated cash. I am part of Radio Diamonds and we will be broadcasting from 2.55.Although I believe you have your own Radio broadcast. Two clubs with great histories but now we are both fighting back. For us a rapid rise from Step 6 now needs to be consolidated for a couple of seasons at least. Really looking forward to meeting you all. We are surprised as anybody at our start as our signings were particularly underwhelming. Don't be fooled by the big fat b****, at No 5 he is our outstanding player. Finally I wonder how many of you remember 1962-63 season. I was a 14 Yr old Hastings United supporter then and Hastings played Nuneaton that season to be promoted to the old SL Premier. After the long enforced winter break Hastings had to play on successive nights at Nuneaton and Hinckley.... We won them both.

By almost average 216/8 15:51Fri Aug 16 15:51:22 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 639

After very possibly the worst season in the clubs history , both on and off the pitch . Followed by not the start to this season people where hopeing for a lot of the fans are in a pretty pessamistic mind set . We could desperatly do with a couple of wins to give everyone a bit of a lift . So if you could oblige Sussex it would be much appreciated (:

By Sussexdiamond16/8 16:02Fri Aug 16 16:02:49 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 623

Sorry but I can not oblige on this occasion but wish you well for next week and beyond (excluding our return fixture). I was at Tamworth for our final fixture back in April and their fans were not too complimentary or sympathetic towards your club. So I expect you are already looking forward to those games. Our big rivalry is with Kettering so this season we have no one "to hate" although hate is rather a strong word.

By boropod (BoroughPod)16/8 17:46Fri Aug 16 17:46:17 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 527

Tamworth fans for no reason I know seem to hate us.
They call us Scumneaton, we cant be arsed with that kind of hatred.
Its not reciprocated, loads of people from Nuneaton think its a good day out to go up the A5 shopping in Tamuff.

"2018-19 was the worst boro team ever"

By almost average 216/8 16:42Fri Aug 16 16:42:40 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 567

The way the club has been run over the last few years we probebly didn't deserve any compliments or sympathy if we're honest . Aparently we where the most unpopular club in non league football and probebly for good reason .
Over the last six months a new set of people are now running the club . Local buisnessmen & people with their hearts in the club . They appear to be running the club properly and with integraty , so hopefully our standing within the game will improve . Just need to start winning a few games to lift the doom laden attitude that currently envelopes the fans .

1 person likes this 1 person

By Jebbs16/8 18:24Fri Aug 16 18:24:46 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 526

. Just need to start winning a few games to lift the doom laden attitude that currently envelopes the fans .

Some fans : )

By boropod (BoroughPod)16/8 18:48Fri Aug 16 18:48:46 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 495

I'll become less 'doom laden' if we actually win a match or two, its been a long time.

By BoroStokie16/8 19:01Fri Aug 16 19:01:48 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 478

The atmosphere at Banbury wasn't doom laden even when we invited-on the equaliser.

To be honest the feeling at the Boro seems to be pretty upbeat considering the start.
Compared to last season we're absolutely buzzing.

Up the Boro.

"Come On You Boro Boys!"

By almost average 216/8 20:45Fri Aug 16 20:45:21 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 503

I was including myself it the doom laden bit . I could desperatly do with a win or two . Got to admit i'm really looking forward to tomorrows game . Feels like a proper game against a proper club .

Edited by almost average 2 at 20:48:07 on 16th August 2019

By Sussexdiamond16/8 22:31Fri Aug 16 22:31:17 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 475

Just to clarify some earlier posts. When Max Griggs decided to pull back the club we're mid table in then division 3. It was transfer deadline day. All the top earners were sold off to reduce the wage bill. It was expected that we would get sufficient points to keep our level, but we didn't win another game and were relegated. The following season we struggled to maintain our league status. It was only the efforts of one 18yr old whose goals saved us, namely Billy Sharp. The following year we were back in non league. Steadied the ship for a couple of seasons and in season 10-11 Justin Edinburgh took us to the play offs. Then unbeknown to the fans the s*** hit the fan. We had no time to save the club the idiots who got us into this mess went bust and the guy who owned the ground had succeeded in his master plan. By the way when Griggs gave up he had spent close to £35 million but he continued to put money into the club gradually reducing his contribution and sold club and ground for a nominal sum to a Supporters Trust who in turn sold it to a property developer... And we all know what that means. Although not the most popular of clubs we did nonetheless have some great times, including FA Cup games against Premiership Leeds and Championship Sheff Utd. I and all my fellow fans of AFCRD get more pleasure now volunteering and getting involved, we know the players, we trust our board to maintain finances and we have acquired a site for a new ground. What could possibly go wrong!!!

By boropod (BoroughPod)17/8 12:06Sat Aug 17 12:06:02 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 350

Not the most popular of clubs indeed.
I met my wife in 1999, she was from Higham Ferrers and had family in Rushden. I met them in Dec 1999, they had no clue about non league football, just onoxious bragging bunch of twats, they had not even heard of Nuneaton Boro probably along with the other 3-400 bandwagon jumpers at the time.

Good to see you have formed a proper club with real fans though.

By joetowny (Joe)17/8 08:11Sat Aug 17 08:11:07 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 411

35 million spent !!!!!!! you say
i must be honest here and say that a club that was formed out of two nondescript non league clubs that sucked in the amount you quote could only have one ending whoever was the cause or running it.
i thought 17 million was living the dream but DOUBLE !
it beggars belief even beyond the realms of any feasibility of living in the real world.
this modern phenomenon that small clubs can mix it with the big boys by just chucking mega money at it is only the result of so called investors trying to cash in on automatic promotion to the league being a gateway to heaven ..... when in fact it will prove long term to be the gateway to hell.
the money always runs out or they just get fed up with it all and when the novelty does wear thin they do/will disappear faster than a snowflake in the Sahara, leaving a big black hole.
anyway good luck for the future.

By bert's dad16/8 22:16Fri Aug 16 22:16:19 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 432

I think we are at our rightful level and will stay here for a couple of seasons before we start pushing for promotion

1 person likes this 1 person

By Wotnostrikers17/8 12:24Sat Aug 17 12:24:45 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 331

After watching the dross served up last Saturday I am sure you are right bert’s dad and probably longer than a couple of seasons and along the way we will lose even more regular supporters.
I was surprised at the gulf in quality between National North and this league so unless we can build a team that can compete at the top end of the table it will be difficult to maintain interest at this level.

By bert's dad17/8 12:49Sat Aug 17 12:49:05 2019In response to Re: Rushden v Nuneaton Top of thread

Views: 343

Think in this League you get a lot less time on the ball before tackles come flying in. Plus less protection from referees. We are back in the equivalent of the Southern League Midland - two promotions below the conference. It took a long while to get out

By joetowny (Joe)16/8 14:50Fri Aug 16 14:50:58 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 625

i doth my cap to you sir
thanks for the informative insight
unfortunately i can remember the 62-63 season as a 20yr old
in fact can go back to the Hughie Morrow days ( early 50's )

ps unfortunately or fortunately whichever side your standing on :-)

Edited by Joe at 14:55:46 on 16th August 2019

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)15/8 13:51Thu Aug 15 13:51:08 2019In response to Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 958

2-1 Rushden

Edmunds.

By Vernon Slain15/8 14:17Thu Aug 15 14:17:54 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 902

Rushden 4 Borough 1

HT 1-1

Run out of steam after 65/70 mins and capitulate.

Ominous signs even at this early stage,but at least we still have a Club.

From Saint Jimmies's Park.

By MJNB15/8 14:27Thu Aug 15 14:27:17 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 878

Rushden 3-3 Boro

Benbow 3.

By Halftime15/8 14:31Thu Aug 15 14:31:04 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 886

2-0 Rushden unfortunately!

By littlec15/8 14:36Thu Aug 15 14:36:09 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 886

Lose 3 - 1 benbow

By Lord of the Manor15/8 15:58Thu Aug 15 15:58:30 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 859

Win 4-1 ....

Ever the optimist 👍

By Atty Boro15/8 17:04Thu Aug 15 17:04:58 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 834

Absolutely no idea.
Does Frankie Belfon still play for them?

Edited by Atty Boro at 17:05:17 on 15th August 2019

By Dougie815/8 18:06Thu Aug 15 18:06:03 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 888

1-0 to Boro with late Clifton goal.

Fearing the Worst

By Unnamed Sauce16/8 11:35Fri Aug 16 11:35:33 2019In response to Re: Rushden v NuneatonTop of thread

Views: 699

But as Vernon says elsewhere at least we still have a club. Hoping for a turnaround any time soon. Before my 9oth birthday preferably....

Went to both previous Rushden grounds. Can't face this one.

Re: Fearing the Worst

By stone ragma16/8 16:26Fri Aug 16 16:26:04 2019In response to Fearing the WorstTop of thread

Views: 559

This is one of the previous grounds

By joetowny (Joe)16/8 14:11Fri Aug 16 14:11:53 2019In response to Fearing the WorstTop of thread

Views: 650

your not alone
i still cant remember the last time i witnessed a GOAL let alone a win ! (( Happy Days ))
as for Rushden is it still & Diamonds ?? im guessing not
what was his name Max Griggs ? ...only 17 million down the proverbial drain
never mind the club what ever became of the boots ??
seem to remember they were called doc martins ? surprisingly never owned a pair :-)
would have gone well in my wardrobe alongside my fake crocodile winkle pickers.

By VS Town (VS Boro)16/8 15:11Fri Aug 16 15:11:30 2019In response to Re: Fearing the WorstTop of thread

Views: 601

I actually felt that Max Griggs had built a sustainable club.
Yes, he threw money at it, but seemed to build an infrastructure.

Could be argued he did - I believe he sold it to the fans for £1 and no debts BUT they could not finance a league 1 club (which I think it was at the time).

By joetowny (Joe)16/8 16:12Fri Aug 16 16:12:05 2019In response to Re: Fearing the WorstTop of thread

Views: 586

fwiw i always thought it would go tits up one day
and indeed stated so to people not when it happened but when they were at their height
i can think of two or three now who are all roses and hos muck
who i think will go back to what they were ....... one day
might not be tomorrow and i might not be around but it will happen
if you take the trouble to look you will always find village type clubs
who are ( have been ) the dogs bollocks for a time then the big boy(s) gets tired with his/their train set
who want to move on for whatever reason... and hey presto what took years disappears overnight
even when you look at the Wimbledon come Milton Keynes Dons saga which is probably not the norm
it took some recovery even with a big fan base potential by comparison.
as for us if you think we're having it rough i give you Worcester City no home god knows where they even play let alone what league.
ps one i could name is a sauce favorite :-)

Details for Joe or anyone interested

By almost average 216/8 14:32Fri Aug 16 14:32:09 2019In response to Re: Fearing the WorstTop of thread

Views: 689

It's a pheonix club formed out of the ashes of the previous incarnation . They are still called Rushden & Diamonds but with AFC proceding the name . They play at Hayden Road the original ground of Rushden Town , whitch they now share with Rushden & Higham United . We played there in the late eightys ? . Seem to remember Cully scoring in a 2-1 deafeat . They reformed about 7 or 8 years back at United Counties league div 1 level ( level 10 ) and have gained three promotions so far , so resonable proggress in that time . They have retained average gates of around 550 , so they will be one of the better supported teams we play this season .

Edited by almost average 2 at 14:32:47 on 16th August 2019

Previous thread: Rushden away by BoroStokie16/8 12:49Fri Aug 16 12:49:45 2019view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.