ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Boro v Stourbridge 50/50 result. by boro44Today 18:19Today at 18:19:49view thread

Oldest article: Hawks by updaboroagain 8/2 18:27Fri Feb 8 18:27:07 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: A Home Win........and no comments? by 70s stalwart24/8 17:02Sat Aug 24 17:02:20 2019view thread

Off Topic

By VS Town (VS Boro)25/8 16:23Sun Aug 25 16:23:41 2019

Views: 514

Cricket.

WOW

Can be absorbing; can be boring BUT, just sometimes........

reply to this article | return to the front page

1 person likes this 1 person

Re: Off Topic

By Wotnostrikers25/8 21:12Sun Aug 25 21:12:31 2019In response to Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 326

My No1 sport I could spend hours just listening to ex pros and commentators talking about it whereas football pundits bore me to tears. Today was one of the greatest sporting victories ever and it shows how an individual can turn his sporting life around after nearly ruining it.......arise Sir Ben.
If he gets in a punch up tonight I will serve his sentence for him as a thank you.

By catch2226/8 14:00Mon Aug 26 14:00:19 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 206

Ben stokes keeping the marauding Aussies at bay , while his sidekick calmly cleans his glasses.So English ,so awesome.

By mark-nbfc25/8 21:28Sun Aug 25 21:28:11 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 364

https://twitter.com/barneyronay/status/1165645585917075456?s=19

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

By boropod (BoroughPod)25/8 16:30Sun Aug 25 16:30:06 2019In response to Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 434

Yep made my weekend, was working this morning and expected it to be all over by time I got home. Cracking sport!

"2018-19 was the worst boro team ever"
"2019-20 team trying to make last seasons team look good"

By Atty Boro25/8 17:25Sun Aug 25 17:25:17 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 383

Sensational.
How one many can paper over so many cracks is beyond me.
Ben Stokes...Sports Personality of the year.

By almost average 225/8 17:34Sun Aug 25 17:34:31 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 375

People say it's boring but how many other sports can change direction so many times in the course of one match . What happened today was probebly more unbelievable than the World Cup final and i didn't think that was possible .

Re: Off Topicj

By VS Town (VS Boro)25/8 17:38Sun Aug 25 17:38:33 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 382

Don’t think anything could ever match the botham series. My dad was a ticket holder at edgebaston and managed to get tickets for me and him for the final day when Wills got 8 wicked for another unlikely victory...... great day.

I missed the WCF as on a bloody plane.

By Dougie825/8 18:28Sun Aug 25 18:28:07 2019In response to Re: Off TopicjTop of thread

Views: 357

If my memory serves me right Bob Willis only got 2 wickets in the Edgbaston test of 1981. He got his 8 wkts at Headingley.

By VS Town (VS Boro)25/8 18:37Sun Aug 25 18:37:33 2019In response to Re: Off TopicjTop of thread

Views: 371

My mistake (google is my friend) - explains why I could not find on Youtube :)

Botham got 5 for 11 (I think the final spell was 5 for 1) to limit Australia to 121 - They needed 150.

My mistake probably comes from remembering the "kill; kill; kill; kill" chanting as Willis came in to bowl..... and fact it was bloody hot and no cover.

Still nothing can beat the headingley (I think) test of that series. Remember watching that with my dad on TV.

Edited by VS Boro at 18:40:47 on 25th August 2019

By joetowny (Joe)25/8 18:22Sun Aug 25 18:22:38 2019In response to Re: Off TopicjTop of thread

Views: 362

HURRAH !
dont know the names or what it meant/means but apparently my Son in Law tells me thy have a great win under their belts.
its ENGLAND so there........ see ................................you Aussie so and so's

By London Boro26/8 09:13Mon Aug 26 09:13:35 2019In response to Re: Off TopicjTop of thread

Views: 259

It was sensational. We should sign Stokes to play in Boros midfield.

By joetowny (Joe)26/8 10:27Mon Aug 26 10:27:47 2019In response to Re: Off TopicjTop of thread

Views: 254

actually i sat down switched the tv on whilst i had a bite and watched the last fifteen minutes or so of the highlight show
i cant recall the last time i watched any form of cricket
but tbf it was good
i suppose if you were watching it live then it would be so " sensational " that is
i dont know the first thing about the game but if its England ...come on.
hands up totally ignorant Peter May Ian Botham and Fred Trueman are about as deep as i go.
each to their own so apologies .

ps i once had the chance ( 1970's ) to go to Egbaston ? brum to watch England
now here's the punchline the guys who wanted me to go knew before they went
that it would end in a draw !! think it was a wednesday or thursday ??? five day match
i said "so you want me to sit all day watch something i dont understand and before we go we know its a draw" .....
"see you tomorrow night lads" :-) true.

edit; thinking back 1980's

Edited by Joe at 10:31:13 on 26th August 2019

By Eileen Dover26/8 11:02Mon Aug 26 11:02:06 2019In response to Re: Off TopicjTop of thread

Views: 224

I can remember when Warwickshire played their County games outside of Birmingham.
In the 1960s as a schoolboy, I'd race down to the Griff and Coton ground to see the last two hours of a game, more difficult in the 70s when I was working and could only make it in a Saturday. Warwickshire also played at Courtaulds ground in Lockhurst Lane, Coventry.
Same with the 1980s, the first day of one particular game, it was rain delayed, so Boro' Director, Ted Kay of Kay Travel invited myself and John Moore (programme) into his hospitality tent, seem to remember spending most of the day there sampling the beer and food.
I lost a certain amount of interest when it was decided to play all their games at Edgbaston.
Now retired, I still like to watch games on tv

Edited by Eileen Dover at 11:05:28 on 26th August 2019

By VS Town (VS Boro)26/8 11:29Mon Aug 26 11:29:24 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 197

Alvin Kallicharran once scored 173 at the Griff - Remember my dad saying most were defensive shots as the boundary was so close :)

The reason Warwickshire stopped playing away from Birmingham was the cost - firstly to get the pitch up to standard, then the cost of getting stewards to the ground. My dad understood and agreed with the financial logic, but didn't agree as Warwickshire were by far the richest county at the time, and bringing it "to the masses" was important.

By joetowny (Joe)26/8 11:51Mon Aug 26 11:51:47 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 202

yes i think your right there was far more interest when the county played outside Brum
i do think the griff would not be suitable in todays climate of so called superstars.

sadly as with all sports its now all about money.
cant beat the old darts days with jocky wilson and co, a fag and a beer....
till the PC brigade appeared on the scene and ruined it
LBH thats the only way to play darts properly :-)

also remember Bill Worbornik ( spelling ) snooker
used to drink about fifteen pints whilst playing
the more he drank the better he got.

happy days.

By VS Town (VS Boro)26/8 12:06Mon Aug 26 12:06:15 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 194

Big downer with most sports now is the TV influence.

I remember watching it on BBC, when they had only 1 camera behind the wicket.
I remember when clubs refused to let BBC/ITV show highlights of games. How MotD was a not-to-be-missed TV program.
I remember two 5 nation games being played at the same time on a Saturday afternoon (and my dad hoping they would show wales).

I AM NOT ADVOCATING "the good old days"; presentation now is far far better, but surely more can be on normal TV....... but no one can compete with Sky.

I hate tennis with a passion, but for 2 weeks the whole nation become obsessed.

By joetowny (Joe)26/8 12:25Mon Aug 26 12:25:35 2019In response to Re: Off TopicTop of thread

Views: 224

i always knew one day we would be brothers in arms ......... tennis :-)
not the knock about kids, good luck to anyone who enjoys it
but Wimbledon fortnight !! ugh
the GM of the department i once worked in used to take the Wimbledon
fortnight for his main holiday and sit in a chair in his garden and watch it on TV

being a cynical bastard i used to laugh when it pissed down.

Previous thread: Score prediction. by Dougie826/8 11:32Mon Aug 26 11:32:40 2019view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.