ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: Re: Away goals count zero by WotnostrikersYesterday 19:16Yesterday at 19:16:49view thread

Oldest article: Tom Bates (from Boro Chat) by VS Town19/2 09:03Tue Feb 19 09:03:27 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Boro v Alvechurch 50/50. Result by boro4421/9 20:28Sat Sep 21 20:28:30 2019view thread

Very fair analysis IMO

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/9 21:15Sat Sep 14 21:15:35 2019

Views: 1223

Sort of said what everyone who saw it has said.

It was interesting 1st half to hear how their assistant coach shouted instruction based on what he was observing.

reply to this article | return to the front page

Highlights

By VS Town (VS Boro)16/9 12:27Mon Sep 16 12:27:02 2019In response to Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 730

Re: Highlights

By mark-nbfc16/9 12:33Mon Sep 16 12:33:01 2019In response to HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 679

How have they managed to get four minutes worth of highlights!

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

1 person likes this 1 person

By boropod (BoroughPod)17/9 06:38Tue Sep 17 06:38:25 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 512

Just as well, that Biggleswade fan you could hear next to the camera was really irritating

worst forum poster ever

By London Boro17/9 12:25Tue Sep 17 12:25:17 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 403

Ha ha - "Pick that one out Nuneaton" for both goals!

Their barmaid, fans and goal keeper were all good value conversation wise.

By MJNB17/9 18:35Tue Sep 17 18:35:00 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 371

Really friendly set up. Basic but very welcoming town and ground.

Their tall centre back was commanding too.

Still maintain little quality but a few were steady at their jobs.

By BoroStokie17/9 18:02Tue Sep 17 18:02:16 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 399

Their keeper was also very good at marshaling his defence, shouting clear instructions.
Our keeper (and management team) could learn from that.

"Come On You Boro Boys!"

By MJNB16/9 15:37Mon Sep 16 15:37:59 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 588

Non league paper gave it 3/5 for entertainment too!!!

By almost average 216/9 18:23Mon Sep 16 18:23:05 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 526

From our point of view it was extremely frustrating so difficult to enjoy . From a neutral point of view i would imagine it was a tight battle one team defending like trojans to repel the bigger boys . From their point of view a very professional performance and a great result against a side who are possibly the biggest in the division and have been widely fancied to do very well this season . It all changes depending on your perspective .

By MJNB16/9 22:13Mon Sep 16 22:13:00 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 499

Taking any of that into perspective, there was still no entertainment or quality on show from either side IMO

By Wotnostrikers16/9 23:08Mon Sep 16 23:08:39 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 445

There are probably a few Biggleswade supporters who disagree with you.

By ntfcadam (nbfcadam)16/9 12:32Mon Sep 16 12:32:42 2019In response to HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 626

Should the keeper be doing better with both of there goals? I think so.

By bert's dad16/9 16:35Mon Sep 16 16:35:53 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 530

So should the defenders

By VS Town (VS Boro)16/9 12:35Mon Sep 16 12:35:32 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 613

His kicking was terrible.

I agree, he looked okay but remember his is still a lad, so...... lets wait and see.

By nil desperandum16/9 13:26Mon Sep 16 13:26:55 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 581

Who played number 6? He should have closed down the scorer of the second goal instead of turning his back.

By MJNB16/9 15:38Mon Sep 16 15:38:34 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 577

6 was Richens

By BoroStokie16/9 15:08Mon Sep 16 15:08:08 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 619

I think it's Julien. I don't believe he or Edmunds are good enough.
The management team seem to think Powell is the weak link in midfield but I don't agree.

"Come On You Boro Boys!"

By stone ragma16/9 15:12Mon Sep 16 15:12:00 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 575

Powell is a winger

By BoroStokie16/9 16:01Mon Sep 16 16:01:14 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 569

Quote from Wikipedia

Wide midfielder
Left and right midfielders have a role balanced between attack and defence, similar to that of central midfielders, but they are positioned closer to the touchlines of the pitch. They may be asked to cross the ball into the opponents' penalty area to make scoring chances for their teammates, and when defending they may put pressure on opponents who are trying to cross

"Come On You Boro Boys!"

By stone ragma16/9 16:06Mon Sep 16 16:06:38 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 582

Winger is not a wide midfielder

By Hullablue16/9 17:31Mon Sep 16 17:31:13 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 540

This is such a pretty discussion that I cannot sit by and not join in.
I thought of a famous winger (Pat Nevin) and checked his wiki page .. .

It called him a winger, I clicked on winger, it took me this...

"A midfielder is an association football position"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm not interested in your opinion" Tommy Wright, after 6-3 defeat at Blyth.

By MJNB16/9 16:42Mon Sep 16 16:42:45 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 558

We can pick holes and deficiencies in the team as much as we like. I admit I did that Saturday regarding the midfield.

Fact is, collectively, for what I don’t think is a small budget for this level, we’ve not put together a particularly good enough or balanced enough squad.

Whilst I had realism this season and thought mid table would be fine, 18th is not good enough. But on the games I’ve seen, we don’t look like being anything but lower half fodder.

2 people like this 2 people

By almost average 216/9 18:27Mon Sep 16 18:27:07 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 532

There's a saying about teams being better / more than the sum of there parts . We're the complete opposite , somehow where managing to be less than the sum of our parts .

By VS Town (VS Boro)17/9 11:44Tue Sep 17 11:44:26 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 393

I am not sure to be honest. Usually you can point to good players in a poor team and say "He looks a decent player".
Possibly unfair, but I think we have too many players who think they are better than they are.

I (like others) were always fearful of the style of football we would see. Nuneaton FC is not Atherstone or Barwell (punching above their weight). What I would like to see is a new assistant comes in, with no history with NBFC or JG and perhaps changes the methods.

By 70s stalwart17/9 12:06Tue Sep 17 12:06:36 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 386

I recall many posters deriding the ‘anti-football’ style adopred by JG at Barwell and Atherstone. Is it really a surprise that he still favours the long ball tactic? (A genuine question from an exile)

By mark-nbfc17/9 12:30Tue Sep 17 12:30:45 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 376

I genuinely do not think that the team are being told just to play 'long ball' football. I think that there is a mixed approach. However, when confidence is low, it is an easy option for players to revert to playing a long ball.

From what I've seen so far, Boro try and play it out wide to Powell or Edmunds, sometimes try and play through the middle via DKE and up to Benbow, and also then hit long balls.

It's an easy for fans to observe when long balls happen. Especially when things aren't going well.

Also long ball tactics are not anti football

:)

---
https://youtu.be/Bwk38srACrA

By VS Town (VS Boro)17/9 12:41Tue Sep 17 12:41:21 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 398

What I am seeing is 50 meter "passes" into space for the "wingers" to chase and out muscle the defenders.

What I am also seeing (and was the same last season) is that every free-kick in the opposition half, or throw-in in the final third requires both center halves to trot up field to get a flick onto a hopeful punt. Its a percentage game, and I don't think the odds are favourable.

Hopeful long balls are anti-football.
Long passes to a player in space are not.

I do agree the long-ball complaint always follows bad results, but its what we have seen since day 1 (excusable last season IMO).

By 70s stalwart17/9 16:22Tue Sep 17 16:22:16 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 363

Thanks. A couple of well considered answers 🙂

By Wotnostrikers16/9 19:16Mon Sep 16 19:16:13 2019In response to Re: HighlightsTop of thread

Views: 527

A lot of sides are only as good as their management team.

Re: Very fair analysis IMO

By almost average 215/9 08:49Sun Sep 15 08:49:34 2019In response to Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 944

Like you i was close to there bench first half . There bench spent the first quarter or so issuing instructions and changes as you say based on what they were seeing . No ranting , swearing or insulting just positive coaching . By about twenty mins they had worked us out and reorganized to counter . From then on in they always looked in control despite boro dominating possession and territory . It would have been interesting to hear our bench during the same period .

Edited by almost average 2 at 08:53:39 on 15th September 2019

By Atty Boro15/9 08:35Sun Sep 15 08:35:21 2019In response to Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 914

So, if we are very direct and bypass the midfield, we need a big man up top.

By VS Town (VS Boro)15/9 12:09Sun Sep 15 12:09:26 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 863

Or stop bypassing midfield.
I would not actually say they are doing that, but at every opportunity the centre backs are sent up and the ball launched into the box (in hope) with Kelly-Evans brought back to the half way line.

As for Benbow being alone up front.
I think this is as much because when he has had support (eg Coalville, the first game and the latter stages of the Banbury game) the midfield has been well and truly exposed. Also Bevan has failed to deliver (bit this could be due to the way boro play).

By almost average 215/9 11:38Sun Sep 15 11:38:39 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 880

Our current tactics don't work with Benbow as the sole forward . Everyone can see that including the opposition and i suspect our own players ( including Benbow ) . Who look increasingly frustrated at how there being asked to play . A lot has been said about the players not giving 100% but how many of us would at work if we were being asked to do things that clearly weren't working .

By stone ragma15/9 12:45Sun Sep 15 12:45:02 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 829

Tactics don’t work because time and again the ball is pumped up to Benbow usually with his back to goal, even if he does win it and bring it down there are no players going beyond him for him to play in, he then has to try and beat three or four defenders on his own and inevitably we lose the ball

By joetowny (Joe)15/9 11:51Sun Sep 15 11:51:14 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 873

think we have to be just a little bit wary here
or the comments pointing out that its not working can be misconstrued as being deliberately negative or even a witch hunt.
saying what you see as the reasons for a poor start ( dont think anyone can deny that fact )
are if anything a step in the right direction.
if you and many others see where things are going wrong surely the management and players see them
( thats not being patronizing btw )
hopefully things will change, lets all hope so. sometimes you just need that bit of luck to kick start the season
UTB.

By joetowny (Joe)20/9 07:54Fri Sep 20 07:54:10 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 313

follow on > lets hope that this win is indeed the kick start needed.
we will see
been away so could not attend but would i be right in assuming it was our best display to date ?

By VS Town (VS Boro)20/9 14:10Fri Sep 20 14:10:32 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 227

What helped IMO is that Stourbridge took the game to the Boro, and Boro took early chances.

Whilst Boro were good value for the 4 goals, it wasn't until after the 3rd was there that much between the two side.
Massive escape IMO, when 2-0 (or maybe 1-0) when a foul was given on the edge (side) of the penalty box where from my position (other end) it looked clearly inside the box; but that's football.

The evening was perfect in every way for football.
What was evident was much more pace/urgency and running off the ball than has been witnessed this season.
Whilst being an advocate of 442 I was concerned the midfield would be exposed, but the lad from walsall impressed and freed up space for Benbow.

By stone ragma20/9 15:22Fri Sep 20 15:22:46 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 254

Agree , the fact that Stourbridge came at us right from the start helped

By almost average 220/9 15:00Fri Sep 20 15:00:55 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 212

I thought the fact that Stourbridge looked a strong team was what made the result all the more impressive . A lot has been said this season about the drop of in standard at this level but i've seen few better games than that in the Conferance over the last couple of seasons .

By stone ragma20/9 08:58Fri Sep 20 08:58:31 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 341

Easily our best display Joe

By joetowny (Joe)20/9 13:53Fri Sep 20 13:53:41 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 228

thats good.
hopefully the first shoots of recovery
the club is better than this league
we are here for a reason which i understand
but come on, we really do need to get back up s a p.

By almost average 220/9 13:26Fri Sep 20 13:26:34 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 238

Taking 6 as an average , argue amongst yourselves .
Saturday it was hard to give anyone above 5 . Tuesday it would be harsh to give anyone below 8 .
Keeper played well , defenders did their job , midfield two worked their socks off , wide men were dangerous all night , Candlin was outstanding and Benbow on fire .
What we need to find now is some consistency . Against Stourbridge & Lowestoft we've shown what we're capable of , but there's been far too many Biggleswades to date .

By stone ragma20/9 13:35Fri Sep 20 13:35:59 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 220

Consistency in selection may well help, sticking with the same team, one thing I noticed when the centre back pairing was Lowe and Towers, Towers played as right side central defender and Lowe as the left, with Lowe and Kettle, Lowe played right and Kettle played left this seemed to suite Lowe more

By almost average 215/9 12:04Sun Sep 15 12:04:07 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 892

There were probably about 60 boro fans there yesterday . I spoke to a number and overheard the opinions of a fair few others . I never heard one who had a different opinion on where our problems lay yesterday . No witch hunt from me , if Jimmy turned it round tomorrow i'd support him all the way , but at present there are a number of recurring problems with our tactics & formations that need addressing .

By joetowny (Joe)15/9 12:56Sun Sep 15 12:56:07 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 865

" no witch hunt from me " i know
just saying that some could see it that way
lbh here why should he be treated any differently to any other manager
we all know several on here have had to bear the wrath in seasons past
in fact if it was not Jimmy he would be getting slaughtered on here and the terraces
he has the enviable option of being able to appoint a manager and just play chairman
but as with all these positions ones ego kicks in and common sense goes out the window.
as i have said it will be interesting to see which way things go.

By VS Town (VS Boro)15/9 13:23Sun Sep 15 13:23:27 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 855

I think its fair to say that in both of JG previous clubs he has been pretty much in control of everything - Difference now is actually has the title of owner.

By boropod (BoroughPod)15/9 16:18Sun Sep 15 16:18:04 2019In response to Re: Very fair analysis IMOTop of thread

Views: 861

Guy seems to be doing ok on what must be a much smaller budget compared to ours at Barwell.
Perhaps lower expectations help.

worst forum poster ever

Previous thread: Boro v Stourbridge 50/50 result. by boro4417/9 22:42Tue Sep 17 22:42:31 2019view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.