ContinueWe use cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our website; if you continue without changing your settings - or dismiss this message - we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on Forums.Football Web Pages.co.uk

Smiley face

Return to front page

Newest article: FA Cup Highlights online at 3pm Today by From Town To TownYesterday 11:00Yesterday at 11:00:11view thread

Oldest article: Fixtures and Results by Moderator15/6/2019 10:40Sat Jun 15 10:40:55 2019view thread

MenuSearch

Next thread: Boro v Coventry & Lincoln highlights + a FREE programme by From Town To Town16/5/2020 15:00Sat May 16 15:00:57 2020view thread

Our Tommy

By almost average 213/5/2020 18:02Wed May 13 18:02:03 2020

Views: 958

Tommy Wright's back as manager at Corby . If it follows his usual pattern they will make a flying start then it will fall apart .

reply to this article | return to the front page

Re: Our Tommy

By VS Town (VS Boro)13/5/2020 18:59Wed May 13 18:59:43 2020In response to Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 871

Much maligned by many at Nuneaton.

Never met or spoke to the bloke but I did find his brand of football more entertaining than much that has been seen since.
Results also not disastrous.

By almost average 214/5/2020 13:37Thu May 14 13:37:25 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 679

A true test of a manager is not when the going good but when things go wrong . Agree the football was very enjoyable for a few months under Wright , but when things started to turn he didn't seem to be able to sort and it started to spiral downwards . This seems to be a similar pattern for Tommy at other clubs he's been with .

By joetowny (Joe)14/5/2020 09:09Thu May 14 09:09:14 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 756

hmmmm . . . . . . cough
same could be said of the likes of Badham, Roberts, Ashby, Wilkin, Daish,, etc etc etc the list is endless.
and dare i say it, now . . . . . Jimmy
football management is 100pc a results business
whether you ply your trade at the Emirits or LW
anyone who doesn't understand that fact is either a dreamer or just plain stupid.
btw not a dig just a plain simple fact of football life

win every week 1-0 you win the league. forget the quality feel the width
lose 4-3 every week ! ! ! see how long your in the job. ONE, TWO ? THREE !!! months

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/5/2020 12:51Thu May 14 12:51:43 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 730

Half disagree.

Football is an entertainment industry.
Whilst “die hards” will want results you have to also get more people through the gates or you income will slowing decline (as is life).

A old friend of mine (villa fan) came to a game a few years ago and brought his son. As it happens boro won 4-3 (Weymouth) and his son wanted to come again.
My sons often brought friends and although boro won, they were bored and saw it as pub-league-standard. In fact, during the 1st season of Town my sons missed a few games (which they previously didnt) as (I quote) "its boring".

There of course has to be a balance. I lean towards entertainment and last season in particular I often attended as duty/habbit and missed a few games as "I can't be arsed".

Edited by VS Boro at 12:55:13 on 14th May 2020

By stone ragma14/5/2020 13:18Thu May 14 13:18:09 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 736

Football is an entertainment and results industry, as to what attracts fans and keeps them coming back I guess depends on each individual’s expectations, some will always expect more than others, some will see things differently to others.

By MJNB14/5/2020 14:26Thu May 14 14:26:46 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 667

People make excuses for why they will or won't go, unneccesarily as there shouldn't be an expectation.

Main reasons people go
- Nothing else to do
- No restrictions
- Friends go
- They enjoy it

Main reasons people don't go
- Other things to do
- Family or child commitments
- Friends or children stop going with them
- Enjoyment goes/ can't be arsed

Genuinely believe for most who attend regularly, it's habit more than enjoyment, and once the habit goes...

Obviously attractive/entertaining/winning football plays a part too- eg Phillips 98-00 there was a buzz about going MP for me as a kid. Crowds, atmosphere, goals.

Edited by MJNB at 14:29:48 on 14th May 2020

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/5/2020 14:56Thu May 14 14:56:30 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 646

Agree

The match day experience and (for many reasons) I got very little enjoyment at home games last season.

By stone ragma14/5/2020 14:40Thu May 14 14:40:30 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 620

Agree regarding habit, certainly was for me this season just gone, was going out of habit rather than enjoyment

By joetowny (Joe)14/5/2020 15:12Thu May 14 15:12:36 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 649

every club has its die hard fans
nothing new there.
but it gets away from the point i made
results dictate a managers future and dont forget im talking about those that go up as well as get the sack
apparently "our Tommy" has done the rounds in a very short time of management.
i have nothing personal against him as with most others who we have had
but i stand by my original post results dictate.
win every game and yes you might be playing what is regarded as shite
or lacking entertainment by some aint many get the sack though.
loads and loads of managers will admit whatever the reason for their failure
they always come back to make the same point
"its a results industry" where their job is concerned of course

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/5/2020 20:58Thu May 14 20:58:41 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 594

I find the argument "Win with no entertainment OR lose whilst being entertainment as << sure there is a word for it >>

Why not win and (try to) be entertaining?
Bottom line is...... to win games you have to score more goals than the opposition.

Fact is, its pretty much the quality of the players that determine winning/losing where as it's the way they are set up determines the entertainment factor.

Edited by VS Boro at 20:59:44 on 14th May 2020

By stone ragma14/5/2020 21:20Thu May 14 21:20:52 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 603

That’s why I rated Wilkin and still do, he didn’t have the best players in the league when in Conf North and National but he played in a way that got the best out of the players he had.

By joetowny (Joe)15/5/2020 08:59Fri May 15 08:59:36 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 613

yes i agree with you and vs.... why would i disagree
but again the point is missed
why then was wilson sacked or left by mutual agreement
or whatever spin you want to put on it.
ok occasionally there are extenuating circumstances thats life. we all know that
so to say 100pc is maybe not strictly true but its pretty much on the button.
but i tell you what and here's how to judge and i admit i dont know the answer
what is the average stay of a manager at a football club ???
im guessing that will give you the answer to my statement that its all about results
also do the obvious thing, dont take my word
ask any pro manager, i know what they will tell you

By stone ragma15/5/2020 10:16Fri May 15 10:16:21 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 543

I would guess the average stay for a Manager these days at less than two yrs

By VS Town (VS Boro)15/5/2020 09:39Fri May 15 09:39:32 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 542

but my point remains - its not black and white. Results and entertainment can go hand-in-hand.

Boro (and I admit many teams) have faced lower and lower attendances. I think typical now would be 400-500.
Getting those who have given up back will be hard, but harder to get new supporters.
I really cant see anyone coming to Liberty Way way in 2019/20* would say "that was fun; I must come back".

* There was so much I didn't like; not just on the pitch.

I suspect (no hard evidence) that many reasons to why Wilson left.

* Wilson vision was different to Thorn
* Wilson was not 100% committed and had other irons in the fire.
* Interference from Thorn.
* Thorne wanted a different manager.

Put those together, then results was a very convenient reason

WRT last point.

Do you not think its strange that Wright was not playing for (just managing) Corby (where owner lived) in a league below yet signed for boro as a player with a coaching role.
He played for about 20 mins (as sub at BPA IIRC) then within a few weeks he became manager.

PS - WRT Wilson - I initially loved the style of play I was seeing, but it became an obsession and stale. Shame.
I know many factors, but look at the team he put together (Byrne, Clifton, Whitehouse, Chettle, Morgan, Harewood, Daniels (controversial inclusion) and the likes of Ironside & Williams (who i didn't rate as much as others))......................Now compare :)

By stone ragma15/5/2020 10:04Fri May 15 10:04:16 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 553

To be fair Wilson had most of the players with him at Ilkeston the year before and they followed him to the Boro when Ilkeston said they were not going to keep Wilson on.

By VS Town (VS Boro)15/5/2020 11:16Fri May 15 11:16:13 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 567

i THINK only 2 or 3 followed - Chettle, Smith (loan), Reid? and ???

By stone ragma15/5/2020 11:26Fri May 15 11:26:30 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 628

No text

By MJNB15/5/2020 11:26Fri May 15 11:26:11 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 539

Maguire
Lane
Duffy
Morgan

Edited by MJNB at 11:26:30 on 15th May 2020

By London Boro14/5/2020 10:22Thu May 14 10:22:46 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 688

I agree that football managers are ultimately judged on results, but I wouldn't say it's a 100% results business. A lot closer to a 100 than 0 for sure, but not 100.

So I certainly wouldn't define that as a fact. It's not a fact.

If it comes to it, being a pessimist, I'd prefer to be called plain stupid rather than a dreamer...

By stone ragma14/5/2020 09:32Thu May 14 09:32:25 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 674

And if you draw 1-1 every week ? :)

By joetowny (Joe)14/5/2020 10:56Thu May 14 10:56:07 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 670

exactly Davey,
i saw the funny btw

i simplified agreed, but i dont think its difficult to get the drift of my comments.
how many professional clubs are there ???
how many have changed their manager this season before we even got to the end of it
some twice or even three times to my knowledge, most in the bottom half of a table !!
i wonder why ? could it possibly be because of results
for example how many managers at this club since *wilkin ?
forget last season that was a case of keeping the club in existence.

* ref wilkin ; he kept his job by "results alone" he was often slated on here
for performances/style.

By VS Town (VS Boro)14/5/2020 12:58Thu May 14 12:58:17 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 608

just for balance, there are also instances of managers losing their jobs despite results.
Brighton manager (Houghton) springs to mind. Might Mouriniho (1st spell at Chelsea) also fall into that catagory)

I do agree however that most lose because of results than entertainment.
Moules (unfairly) IMO managed to tick both boxes :)

By almost average 214/5/2020 13:32Thu May 14 13:32:48 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 614

Doesn't help that many fans , owners & boards have completely unrealistic expectations for their clubs , so many managers get the sack unfairly or prematurely . Do agree with joe's main point that in the vast majority of cases a manager who wins most games , whatever the football is like will keep his job longer than one who doesn't but entertainly . I watch a lot of games involving the Boro and plenty not over a normal season . The difference for me is the one's not involving the boro i just want to enjoy the game and at least before the game usually have no preferences who wins ( this can change during the match ) . The ones involving the boro i only enjoy if the result is favorable however its achieved . This is predominantly though not always a win .

By MJNB14/5/2020 14:24Thu May 14 14:24:42 2020In response to Re: Our TommyTop of thread

Views: 613

I don't necessarily think it's just his football management.

It's him as a person too.

From what I gather, he's not overly liked at Boro, Corby, or Darlo.

Every club he's managed sees him as a bullshitter, arrogant and excuses man.

Corby fans aren't overwhelmed he's going back, and he had some success there.

Speaks volumes.

Previous thread: Empty stadium football. by Dougie813/5/2020 18:23Wed May 13 18:23:23 2020view thread

The forum or any messages are not and should not be interpreted as an official announcement from Nuneaton Borough FC or anyone associated with Nuneaton Borough FC. Nuneaton Borough FC will not accept responsibility for any messages posted in the forum. Please refrain from bad language.